• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

DavidDesu

On iPad Mini 4 and I’m really missing the ability to slide over an app from the right.

Also, literally just discovered as I typed the above that sometimes the right hand side space bar button changes to an Undo key... I typed iPad Mini and immediately delete it again, lol (and now I can’t get the keyboard to repeat the feat).

As for the Slide Over, I used it all the time usually with Twitter, now a swipe from the right simply does nothing. Need to pull up, slide the app over. If I slide the app away I can’t brijg it back again, I need to drag up, slide the app back into place... really poorly thought out when it was so easy and fluid before. They better reinstate being able to bring in your last side app with a swipe again... cos fuck this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Still having the issue on iPad Pro with smart keyboard, where if you have an app up, then have FB Messenger over top of it (in the little overlay window) the word suggest bar covers up the typing area for FB Messenger.

Was hoping they'd get it fixed, hopefully in the next build...

Red

On iPad Mini 4 and I’m really missing the ability to slide over an app from the right.

Also, literally just discovered as I typed the above that sometimes the right hand side space bar button changes to an Undo key... I typed iPad Mini and immediately delete it again, lol (and now I can’t get the keyboard to repeat the feat).

As for the Slide Over, I used it all the time usually with Twitter, now a swipe from the right simply does nothing. Need to pull up, slide the app over. If I slide the app away I can’t brijg it back again, I need to drag up, slide the app back into place... really poorly thought out when it was so easy and fluid before. They better reinstate being able to bring in your last side app with a swipe again... cos fuck this.
Tell me about it. For all its multitasking improvements, some quick easy functions took a serious hit.

DavidDesu

Hmmmm. I remember earlier betas seeing demonstrations of sliding back an app you slid off to the right even when going to another app. Did they take it out of the GM?

Nope. If there was some other function that a slide in from the right was being used for I could at least accept it, but there isn’t so it makes little sense and definitely is a worse experience for me as the drag and drop thing takes effectively threee moves (swipe up, hold finger on app, slide app into place), rather than one quick instantaneous swipe in from the right.

I’m also finding trying to move the second app around is really haphazard and barely ever works for me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
2h 40m usage on 6S.
Down to 38%.

Battery draining continues.
I wouldn't even want to sell this watch to someone as it is. Will likely just trade in.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Same. Really missing slide over.
:(
I still say it would make a lot more sense on the X that they use slide over for multitasking and keep Control Center be a slide up. So dumb that they moved CC to the top. How do you get to the Cover Sheet if CC is slide down now?

Mafro

Today I learned you've been able to remove the microphone dictation icon from the keyboard for a few years now.

Guess Who

Banned
I still say it would make a lot more sense on the X that they use slide over for multitasking and keep Control Center be a slide up. So dumb that they moved CC to the top. How do you get to the Cover Sheet if CC is slide down now?

Slide from the top-right corner for Control Center, slide from anywhere else for notifications.

I really love the changes in watchOS 4 (the new PIN code unlock screen is reason enough to upgrade - bigger keys and sounds, much less mistyped logins). It's just unfortunate about the poor battery life. I'm guessing it was more optimized for Series 2 and 3 watches. Or maybe it's the new resting heart rate thing, which I don't know if we could disable. Apple usually improves battery life and performance on older devices in the point updates, so hopefully they get around to it.

Problem is, it's absolutely painful to update the Apple Watch. It took literally two hours to install watchOS 4 and it's gonna suck going through that again for point upgrades.
this is shameful but one of the main reasons I want to upgrade from my Series 0 Watch is so that software updates don’t take as long

The Series 3 CPU is supposed to be 70% faster than the Series 2, but who knows how that translates to improved update installation speeds.

We don't really know what the bottleneck is. It could be the SSD speed, it could be the SoC (but that's supposed to be relatively A5 speed, I believe?), but my guess (which might help explain some of the slowness) is that the installation process might be remotely mediated by the connected iPhone and that while it's going on the Watch effectively has no operating system running itself - all the disk management is being done remotely.

Yilia

Banned
Thank you for sharing the detailed information about iOS 11. Many improvements are made in different aspects. I do really appreciate its compatibility with iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, which is well designed to satisfy a wide range of users. Now, I would like to share my experience with u. I use my iPhone 8 with iOS 11. Some functions, like control center, Apple map, Apple store, etc, are satisfactory. However, I found an annoying problem that all my photos were saved as HEIC. I didn't know this new image format before I utilized iOS 11. More depression was that I wanted to share some interesting pictures with my friends, but they cannot open these HEIC images directly owing to Andriod OS. To solve it, I turn to heic to jpg converter online and offline programs for help. Considering the privacy leakage problem, I gave up online converters finally and choose an advanced heic to jpg converter. Luckily, it can perform well. Oh, I just remember a problem. There is some problem with iOS 11 battery, right? It seems that the battery will explode. Any other issues with iOS 11, pls feel free to share here and let me know. Thanks. I just wanna enjoy this version completely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom