• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

So with this can I have the calendar on my OSX laptop, google calendar, and iphone synced so that if I make changes to any of them, they all get updated?

Yep.

Within the Calendar settings on your Mac, you can use either iCloud CalDAV, or Gmail CalDAV. iCloud will push, while Gmail will fetch. Either one will do exactly what you want.

CrankyJay

Banned
Use Mailbox if you want push notifications. The notifications won't clear until you open up the app though, if that's an issue. (iOS limitation for third party apps)

Use CarDAV and CalDAV for calendar syncing, though I've switched to iCloud for that.

What a bunch of crap...it's like you have to tie yourself to all one brand/ecosystem to get the functionality you want.

A person like me will never be 100% happy.

all these iOS bugs, is it a protest for firing Scott Forstall?

Who in their right mind would protest firing the guy responsible for this

G5UhNEr.png

Jubern

So I browsed the last replies...

Am I correct in understanding that I soon won't be able to get push notifications for Gmail? :s
Not sure what to make out of your posts, sorry.

I don't know about Mail.app, but the Gmail app has push notifications (though I turn them off as I prefer to read my email in sittings throughout the day). I just wish it had a unified inbox.

Number45

So I browsed the last replies...

Am I correct in understanding that I soon won't be able to get push notifications for Gmail? :s
Not sure what to make out of your posts, sorry.
As long as it's already configured to use Exchange you're fine. I'm using the Gmail app (better label support) and it works fine with push, so it doesn't matter so much for mail.

Jubern

As long as it's already configured to use Exchange you're fine. I'm using the Gmail app (better label support) and it works fine with push, so it doesn't matter so much for mail.

Oh, ok then. I'm using a non-conventional carrier here in Japan that didn't gave me a carrier email, and absolutely need a push option for the gmail account I set up for mailing people... (Barely anyone uses SMS anymore here).

Thought I was screwed for a bit.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Oh, ok then. I'm using a non-conventional carrier here in Japan that didn't gave me a carrier email, and absolutely need a push option for the gmail account I set up for mailing people... (Barely anyone uses SMS anymore here).

Thought I was screwed for a bit.

From the sounds of it, you might be screwed if you ever upgrade your phone, but hopefully they rectify this issue by then. I'm hoping the mailbox app gets support for other exchange emails so that I can use my work email in it and not have to use two apps for email.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys I got a problem with my phone and hopefully somebody here will be able to help me.

I've been using an iPhone 4 for almost 2 years now and I've been getting a random issue with the sound output from time to time for a while now.

The problem is that the phone will suddenly be unable to output any sound. For example if I go in the music app and press play it will pause right away. If my alarm goes off in the morning (I'm using "Alarm Clock" by iHandy) I will see the alarm on the phone but there will be no sound coming out of the phone, even if the volume is all the way up.

The only way to fix the problem is to turn off the phone completly and then turn it back on. It's really annoying, especially when you rely on your phone to wake up in the morning!

I've been trying to pin point the cause of the issue for a long time now but I can't actually reproduce it, it seems to be completly random.

Anybody seen that before?

I'd start by cleaning the dock, and headphone ports. A little alcohol on a twisted paper towel corner. A little compressed air. The headphone port in particular sounds like a possible culprit as it can both pause music and mute the speaker sound.

The fact that a restart fixes it though may not jive with a dirty connection, in that case I've got nothing for you. :p

davidnic

About iOS 6.1.2 Software Update

Fixes an Exchange calendar bug that could result in increased network activity and reduced battery life.

Hell yes! I am happy apply fix this before we got Iphone 5's it is a load my mine mind, cause I know the users would complain about the battery life.

dorkimoe

Question about the horrible podcast ap

So im subscribed to a podcast that has 300+ episodes, and i can only scroll back so far, it wont let me get the first like 260?, I only have the last ones, I know I have refreshed it before and it has given me all 1-300+, but now I cant get it too?

Any tricks? How do I get it to list ALL the episodes?

btkadams

has anyone ever used one of those IR remote adapters that turn your iphone/ipad/ipodtouch into a universal remote? i'm really considering it but i'm wondering if they're all crap.

MasLegio

Banned
updating to 6.1.2 and starting to get scared

phone has been in the same state (checking updated iPhone-software) for over 30 minutes now

have to go to work in 1 hour

has something gone wrong?

MasLegio

Banned
1 fucking hour!!!!!

what happens if I just pull out the USB?

can I do a factory reset and then do a restore of a previous backup?

how long will that take?

Vyer

Is that what it says on the phone or in iTunes? If on iTunes not on the phone you can probably cancel and pull. If you've got a progress bar on the phone itself it depends.

As an aside, I don't understand why more people don't update OTA. I haven't plugged into iTunes in a long time.

MasLegio

Banned
Is that what it says on the phone or in iTunes? If on iTunes not on the phone you can probably cancel and pull. If you've got a progress bar on the phone itself it depends.

As an aside, I don't understand why more people don't update OTA. I haven't plugged into iTunes in a long time.

in itunes

empty progress bar on the iphone

my reasons is that
there are a few apps in my itunes library that has been pulled from the store
i want to have local backups as well as icloud backups
I thought that local update would be much faster than OTA

Vyer

Understandable, but updates wouldn't have any effect on your backup and/or could be done separately. Also the update process is the same I think so it wouldn't be any faster (unless your phone is on a different wireless connection than your computer).

Anyhow, if your stuck on a progress bar on the phone I don't know if there's much you can do. Pull and try a restart and hope for the best i suppose.

MasLegio

Banned
Understandable, but updates wouldn't have any effect on your backup and/or could be done separately. Also the update process is the same I think so it wouldn't be any faster (unless your phone is on a different wireless connection than your computer).

Anyhow, if your stuck on a progress bar on the phone I don't know if there's much you can do. Pull and try a restart and hope for the best i suppose.

thanks
¨
have already pulled it out(!) and am restoring it now

did a restore but all app content seems to be missing and the phone is reinstalling all the apps that was installed in the backup...

did something go wrong?

Vyer

thanks
¨
have already pulled it out(!) and am restoring it now

did a restore but all app content seems to be missing and the phone is reinstalling all the apps that was installed in the backup...

did something go wrong?

Well, since you've been doing backups through iTunes once the phone is up you could plug back in and restore from one of those backups.

Called in to work so I've got to go, but glad to see its back up, good luck to you

DarkJC

Over the air updates are actually much faster because they're just delta updates (6.1.1 -> 6.1.2 was ~12MB for me). iTunes downloads the entire image file if you perform an update with iTunes.

For some reason neogaf mobile isnt loading up in safari on my ipad, it keeps saying server not found. Anyone else have this issue? Also im using mercury browser right now and it also wont load about the mobile site.

Enco

whats up with my iPhone 4 S shutting down like it ran out of battery even though I have 19% left of battery?

I get this too.

So fucking frustrating. Doesn't happen much but when it does it's at the worst possible time.

After a while I can turn it back on but it turns off a few minutes later.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's never happened to me as high as 19%, but I've had my 4S shut off on me at around 7% a couple of times.

Number45

Yeah I've had it a few times as well. Mostly it less than 10% but on the odd occasion it's been far too high (almost at 40% once).

mrkgoo

Battery probably needs to be calibrated. I assume it's similar to a mac in that the meter gets a bit out of whack and you need to do a full drain followed by a full charge. That said, who really knows.

woodchuck

In the next iOS update, there needs to be an easier way to search texts.

Like, if I want to see the conversation between me and person X between jan 2010-feb 2010, i should be able to do that without having to scroll all the way back there.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Battery life on a 4s is still shockingly bad with mobile data turned on. Can turn that off and sit on Wifi for data when at home and it lasts days, but switch on mobile data and it drops like a rock. Hope they fix this soon.

Number45

Battery life on a 4s is still shockingly bad with mobile data turned on. Can turn that off and sit on Wifi for data when at home and it lasts days, but switch on mobile data and it drops like a rock. Hope they fix this soon.
I don't have that problem at all, my mobile data is on 100% of the time. Pretty happy with the 4s battery life overall.

Vyer

In the next iOS update, there needs to be an easier way to search texts.

Like, if I want to see the conversation between me and person X between jan 2010-feb 2010, i should be able to do that without having to scroll all the way back there.

If you know any keywords from the conversation, Spotlight will scan your messages

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

dorkimoe

When you tap the result it oddly doesn't take you to it.

Yeah, only one time it worked and took me to it

It also searches conversations you no longer have, i wish you could click it and take it to any message that it finds though. Would be awesome

hirokazu

Yeah, only one time it worked and took me to it

It also searches conversations you no longer have, i wish you could click it and take it to any message that it finds though. Would be awesome

I'm pretty sure it only takes you directly to the exact message if it's recent enough that you wouldn't have to tap "Load earlier messages" if you were to look for it manually.

Top Bottom