• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Guri

You can already have long passcodes.

From the site it seems that 6 is the new minimum limit. If so, that's pretty annoying.

You can go back to 4-digit.

I don't really care for many of the new features. I want performance improvements. Looking forward to benchmarks.

Also, too bad we can't hide built-in apps and change the default browser.

jstripes

Banned
What's the likelihood of this running better than iOS 8 on an iPhone 4S?

I never upgraded to iOS 8, but I'm just curious.

Supposedly Apple's changed the way they handle older devices.

They used to build the whole thing and try to optimize it for each device. Apparently now they're building it separately, module by module, for each device.

Huh. I only just finally updated to iOS 8 earlier this week. Not interested in becoming a beta-tester. I'll consider it when all the kinks have been ironed out.

MercuryLS

Banned
Very interested to see what the new ipad is this year. The problem with apple though is that they introduce something that takes more power and hardware that can run it, then the next year they release something that runs it much better. I guess that's how all technology goes but it's too bad that the speed is always "just enough" and never blazing fast.

I think the Air 2 will age really well, it's got the incredibly powerful A8X, 2gb of ram and a nice laminated screen with anti reflective coating. I can imagine that they'll add force touch to the new iPad and a A9/A9X with some camera upgrades. Not a big deal. I'll upgrade when they can drop the weight dramatically again, which I don't even think is possible.

What's the likelihood of this running better than iOS 8 on an iPhone 4S?

I never upgraded to iOS 8, but I'm just curious.
Erm, given that the iPhone 4 couldn't update to ios8 last year, I'm pretty sure that means the 4S won't be getting iOS9.

Guess Who

Banned
With split screen multitasking and pip, it's going to make iPad a lot nicer to use as an everyday PC. You also have the two finger cursor and hardware keyboard shortcuts, which are awesome. I just wish they'd give us a file system and an easy way to upload files from local storage to websites (like uploading a modified resume when you apply to a job). That's the last thing I need.

iOS 9 lets you upload files from iCloud Drive (or other document picker sources) in Safari, and send files from iCloud Drive as attachments in Mail.

jts

...hate me...
iOS 9 lets you upload files from iCloud Drive (or other document picker sources) in Safari, and send files from iCloud Drive as attachments in Mail.

I really need to get my hands on this. Heard someone saying still 1 attachment per email?

GWX

Didn't try to push to see if there's a limit, but I just tested and it let me add at least two.

I believe the uproar was about only being able to upload one attachment at a time, lacking a selection feature for multiple files. Still, that's something that can change with proper feedback. Once the public beta is out I'll certainly complain lol.

zychi

Banned
I tried to install the beta without a developer's account. Yeah, Apple blocked it.

To the people who have it, do you like it?

jts

...hate me...
Didn't try to push to see if there's a limit, but I just tested and it let me add at least two.

I believe the uproar was about only being able to upload one attachment at a time, lacking a selection feature for multiple files. Still, that's something that can change with proper feedback. Once the public beta is out I'll certainly complain lol.

Ah, I see. Well I have no complains about 1 file at a time since it still lets me do my work with more or less trouble, and I'm sure better selecting options can come even in a minor update.

But god damn that's sensational. Haven't owned an iPad since last year, might just go back come next October.

Zero2kz

As a person who does not use an iphone personally, but develops for one, all I can think of are the random features that they nerf/break so that they can release a brand new feature that is practically the same thing. Forcing us to pile on a bunch of ugly code needed to support iOS6 through 9.

jiiikoo

Banned
I'm just hoping they would add Finnish as a language for Siri at some point. Seeing as they added Norwegian, i'm hoping it is coming at least.

Fuckin' a, put a settings shortcut in the Control Center!

I'm really hoping Control Center gets some Force Touch/long press boosts in the future. WiFi icon to WiFi settings, and so on.

Especially nice would be a way to quickly jump from a given app straight to its privacy/notification settings. I finally went through and tweaked all of my notification settings for all of my apps recently, and it was deeply damn rewarding and has made my phone MUCH nicer to use, but it'd be a hell of a lot easier if there were a faster way to jump straight from "this app is pissing me off" to "it can't show me notifications anymore."

bounchfx

"- You can now choose to have Siri be muted with the mute switch"

thank fucking heaven, I hated this. Set your phone to mute? Doesn't matter. BEEP BEEP.

numble

Let me put this week. In the past hours, I have seen no fewer than 3 popular apps pledge to easy compilers, a package with a script that compiles it for you easily with just a few clicks for even the novice.

Sideloading is gonna be accessible and very real. It feels good to be running OS X, I'll say that much.

Which apps?

Laekon

So is the iPad finally getting a built in calculator through spotlight? I love my iPad but find it funny that most of these improvements already exsist on my Android phone. The upper/lower case keyboard and email attachments will probably be my favorite changes.

big_z

does the music app open back to where you last were in ios9 or does it always default to playlists? I hate that it does that.

Christopher

I'm actually gonna hold off my battery life is epic on my iPhone 6 - usually a newer update kills battery or makes the OS slower

GWX

I'm actually gonna hold off my battery life is epic on my iPhone 6 - usually a newer update kills battery or makes the OS slower

Not supposed to be the case with 9. This WWDC session goes into detail on the improvements made to battery usage in iOS 9, elaborating a bit on the promised +1 hour of battery life on average. Not having the screen light up when you receive notifications and the phone is upside down (and I assume when in the pocket as well) alone will make tons of difference lol.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
When am I ever going to be able to set the default auto fills for personal information? It never uses the right email address.

Pressing the "enter" key sends messages in Messages app

Aw man. How do I do carriage returns now?

FerranMG

- Selection faster in photo app (like google photos, press and hold and select multiple photos)
- Notification banners stay until dismissed.
- Redesigned Safari "Close Tab" button

Can anyone confirm how do these work?

Faster selection is absolutely critical. Recently I've had to delete hundreds of pictures because I was running out of storage, and it was a huge pain in the ass to select them one by one.

Notifications banners stay until dismissed does it mean that we'll have to manually dismiss ALL notifications? Doesn't sound like a very good idea. :/

And the Close Tab button in Safari, I guess it's iPad only? I don't use Safari on the iPhone mainly because it's very annoying to manage tabs.

jetsetrez

If they're going to keep adding apps, they really, really need to finally decouple the majority of the apps from the core OS, like Android and Windows both do. It would be better for all involved; they could update their apps much faster and more regularly, and users could get rid of the ones we don't want, which for most of us, is a list growing larger every release.

I do not need Voice Memos, Stocks, Apple Watch, Tips, Compass, or Newsstand (though I assume that's getting replaced with News). And frankly, I understand why they need to be core to the OS, but I never use GameCenter or Health either.

Also, Facetime and Contacts should not be separate apps anymore. They're built into the Phone app already, that's a much simpler solution.

I really wish Google would just play nice and support whatever it is that is needed for push notifications in Mail as well. I don't know how there isn't more outrage over that.

All that said, still a ton of great stuff in this release.

hypotc

Apple. When will I be able to choose what days of the week Do Not Disturb activates on? I only want it to work on the week days, not the weekend. It can't be that hard to implement. :(

Link

The Autumn Wind
You know what would be really nice? Being able to set a calendar event on multiple days quickly and easily. My schedule varies week to week, and putting my shifts into the calendar is a pain in the ass because I have to do them all separately instead of just saying, "Ok, add this event on Monday, Tuesday, Friday, etc."

EmiPrime

You know what would be really nice? Being able to set a calendar event on multiple days quickly and easily. My schedule varies week to week, and putting my shifts into the calendar is a pain in the ass because I have to do them all separately instead of just saying, "Ok, add this event on Monday, Tuesday, Friday, etc."

Fantastical.

The Apple calendar will always be crap.

Can anyone confirm how do these work?

Faster selection is absolutely critical. Recently I've had to delete hundreds of pictures because I was running out of storage, and it was a huge pain in the ass to select them one by one.

Notifications banners stay until dismissed does it mean that we'll have to manually dismiss ALL notifications? Doesn't sound like a very good idea. :/

And the Close Tab button in Safari, I guess it's iPad only? I don't use Safari on the iPhone mainly because it's very annoying to manage tabs.
Video I found

Apparently multi photo selection was in iOS 4 but removed from 5-8 and now back in 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZRTu3B5zlY

Top Bottom