• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's great that they're still supporting the 4S, but I hope with the next release they concentrate on devices with 1gb of ram and up.
Wasn't there word about them coding iOS 9 for each device individually? I'd imagine that should help take advantage of the phones with more RAM.

samn

- App thinning results in faster Apps

Not faster, but smaller. App thinning means that content not relevant to your device (e.g. images for different screen size, or 32 bit code) don't download.

RedShift

So is the beta on the iPad Air 2 worth it yet? Really want to try out the multitasking, but might wait until the public beta if it's a buggy mess.

Even if it were possible, I'd leave compass in there. It can be more useful than you think.

Yep. When I was doing a bit of travelling with no data the compass was pretty useful.

AndTAR

So is the beta on the iPad Air 2 worth it yet? Really want to try out the multitasking, but might wait until the public beta if it's a buggy mess.

I am very surprised myself with how stable everything is, especially compared to earlier betas. Swipe keyboard, split view and everything just runs along smoothly here.

I have had a few crashes, but it's a completely different world than say, the iOS 7 betas.

owlbeak

Does it fix the shitty camera compression/noise cancellation on iPhone 6? That's what I want :(

Oh, also RAW camera output.

edit: I believe this relates to physical keyboards, and not the virtual one. You had to hit Cmd+Enter to send a message before, which sucked. If my speculation turns out to be right, it'll behave like it should: Enter to send, Shift+Enter to skip a line.

Holy balls. I never knew this. I thought this was the most annoying part of having a keyboard...

Edit: Wait it doesn't work on my Microsoft keyboard :(

i used the ios 9 beta on the ipad and its really, may rethink me getting a surface 3, although apple is still oh so terrible at services.

Even if it were possible, I'd leave compass in there. It can be more useful than you think.

I have never used compass in the 5 years I've had an iPhone. If I want it I'll download it.

I have a folder called "Junk" with 16 apps Apple thinks I'm too stupid to go without even though I NEVER use them.

Sean

Banned
Still no way to delete useless apps like Tips, Compass, Stocks, etc?

If Apple ever does this, they're probably gonna put that a behind Force Touch press. Would be genius, make people upgrade their iDevices if they really wanna get rid of those useless default apps.

It's great that they're still supporting the 4S, but I hope with the next release they concentrate on devices with 1gb of ram and up.

I'd even like to see them deprecate the A6 in addition to the A5 next year, to be honest, and go full and standard 64-bit across everything.

btkadams

What has changed about the Podcasts app? I can't find anything anywhere, aside from the OP of this thread mentioning it.

jstripes

Banned
I have never used compass in the 5 years I've had an iPhone. If I want it I'll download it.

I have a folder called "Junk" with 16 apps Apple thinks I'm too stupid to go without even though I NEVER use them.

The time you might need a compass the most is when you don't have a data connection.

But hey, who am I to tell you how to live your life?

The time you might need a compass the most is when you don't have a data connection.

But hey, who am I to tell you how to live your life?

Haha ok. Well if I'm ever in a situation where I could potentially be stranded in a wildness, I'll be sure to bring along an actually compass.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, it's hard to imagine both the iPhone 5C and the iPad Mini 1 surviving another year.

Well, the 5c is an A6 with 1GB of RAM and a retina display. Same as the iPhone 5.

The iPad mini is an A5 with 512 of RAM and non-retina display. There's a big difference there.

I don't think Apple will make such a big cutoff point to deprecate 32bit devices at once when some of them already had the same amount of RAM as their most recent offerings (iPhone 6). With Apple's story of slow deprecation (and gradually slower), 512MB and non-retina should go next year and 32bit the year after that at best.

iPad Mini is *still* being sold. Bane to developers.

The A5 is in way more devices than the A6, which is why it's getting to stick around for an extra year. The only iPad using an A6 derivative was the 4th-gen model (last full-size one before the Air). I honestly don't think Apple would get in much trouble for retiring the A6 at the same time as the A5 - they won't be selling any more A6 devices, and they're going out of their way with iOS 9 to make sure that the devices that *do* get knocked out with iOS 10 will still have software that runs well, apparently.

SuperPac

So today's maybe the day we get a new beta with Apple Music, right? RIGHT? Here's hoping. I like using Apple Music on the Mac, but I'd like it better if I could have it on my phone now plz.

"- Siri can now use an accent (same language) which differs from your input language."

Does this mean I can have Siri with an Irish or Scottish accent here in canada?

Enco

Wasn't the public beta slated for July 29th or sometime at the end of the month?

Today would be nice but I don't expect it.

Theecliff

Banned
sounds good to me

hopefully talks about better optimisation means it runs better on my iPad mini 1st gen than iOS 8 too

mitheor

IOS9b3 is going to be released today with Music support.

Public beta has no ETA but maybe it´s released too. Let´s see.

ramyeon

Would love for the Public Beta to get released today - it would make sense given that this iteration will have Music support. Fingers crossed.

New features found in Beta 2 which was released a couple of weeks ago

these are in addition to mentioned in OP

from macrumors
- Calendar widgets in Notification Center now shows all events you have tomorrow, rather than most recent upcoming ones.
- In safari, if you have multiple usernames/passwords for a website, you can press "Passwords" in the keyboard accessory view when on the username/password text field and choose which password you want the system to autocomplete
- iPhone now knows UK phone area codes, and displays the area for incoming calls, and on the recent calls list
- Press and hold address field in safari let you copy it or paste and go
- Press and hold refresh button in safari call desktop site

jts

...hate me...
Am I being overly pessimistic or isn't it past the usual time for releases? :(

edit: regarding iOS 9 beta 3.

Majine

Banned
Am I being overly pessimistic or isn't it past the usual time for releases? :(

That's what she said.

nvva6-jpg.566858

Would love for the Public Beta to get released today - it would make sense given that this iteration will have Music support. Fingers crossed.

I totally forgot I signed up public beta, well definitely upgrade my iPad to test split screen but won't mess around with my iPhone

Flip4k

I hope they bring shuffle songs back. Like as in going into Songs and being able to let shuffle decide which song to start on.

The fact that they removed this is completely ridiculous.

Top Bottom