• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2014: It's Groundhog Day and we have Season Passes for Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two free challenging games that are worth your time'

Invertis
iTunes | Trailer
Invertis is a lightning-fast reaction game, based on pure simplicity.
screen568x568.jpeg

Box It!
iTunes
Fun, challenging, and addicting! Box It! is a game that will get you hooked. Use the trace ball to box in the free space. Capture power-up balls to get special powers and avoid the obstacles to stay alive!
screen1136x1136.jpeg

FatalT

Banned
Dang! All the Machinarium codes have been redeemed. If anyone gets anymore I'd love to have one. It'd be fantastic if you could PM a code to me or post more on here. I showed it to my girlfriend and she said it looked like a game she'd actually enjoy playing.

Until then, we're battling for high scores in Threes!

Mr.Ock

Depending on your taste, you might love puzzle quest or Dungeon Raid. (sorry if that isn't what Bejeweled is, I've never played it)

Dungeon Raid is quite different from Bejeweled, but it's an amazing game nonetheless! I just wish it was updated for the new resolution.
Also, in the vein of Dungeon Raid (and perhaps more akin to Bejeweled), I'd recommend 10000000.

PittaGAF

Probably the only one in the world (even the dev pulled the game from the AppStore) I'm liking Dungelot 2 a lot.
The 'freemium' timer is completely broken so I could play two straight days without pausing even 1 sec, I love the finally tuned difficulty (original game was way too easy) and the general improvements.
If the dev really implements what he said (upgrades are permanent, more blue tokens drops and a coin doubler) it will be great.
Right now you are forced to do 1-2 dungeon passes to ammass gold before trying the boss (to pump up swords) and get the loot and key.
About to get the third key right now, after getting both the sword and the leather armour.
Special rooms are really nice.

I found that the 'cure' plus 'strength' spells is the best combo (level 20 is almost guaranteed with both).

Anyone unlocked the second dungeon?

Dungeon Raid is quite different from Bejeweled, but it's an amazing game nonetheless! I just wish it was updated for the new resolution.
Also, in the vein of Dungeon Raid (and perhaps more akin to Bejeweled), I'd recommend 10000000.

Yeah good call. Excellent game.

Dragoshi1

I bought Adventure Time: Card Wars as well, and it's extremely fun.

I ran into a game freezing bug, however.

On the 1st Finn level, Star 3 is beating Finn with only corn cards. So, while in the middle of the match, I used Brain Storm, but then something weird happened;

I got that weird message up top, and no buttons would respond to my touch, only the fire creature card I had that I could tap to enlarge it, but I couldn't drag it anywhere.

Finally got myself a 768 in Threes. Good for a 20K+ score.

I certainly don't consider myself an iOS connoisseur, but that said, I think this is the best game I've yet to play on an iDevice. There's a lot to like about it, but what I appreciate most is it's equally compelling to fiend on it game after game, as it is to make six moves while taking a piss. A true mobile game which can flex out and kill an hour too. Love it.

Not unlike Drop7, I'd imagine it will stay on my phone/iPad for years.

LuchaShaq

Banned
are any of the recent kairosoft games worth my time?

As someone who doesn't like the games where you place buildings (spa story mall story etc) but loves their more structured games (game Dev story grand Prix story) they haven't done much of the stuff I like lately.

igor

Cyro, a kuru kururin-esque game (from what I gather as I never played the original) is currently up for grabs for free on the App Store. Seems like a nice little game.

Branson

Girlfriend got me a $25 iTunes card for V-Day. It's so hard to choose what to get if there's not any music out I want.

You should start by looking at the OP for the past 6 iOS Gaming OTs since Tunesmith does a magnificent job at highliting each month's best picks.
--

Btw guys, A DARK ROOM is FREE, go grab it!
Got plenty of awards in 2013 and made it into the GOTY lists of many of Giant Bomb's staff if you care about those guys. iOS7 exclusive tho.
If you want, I'm posting all these deals on the @GAF_iOS_scores Twitter account.

https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/a-dark-room/id736683061?l=en&mt=8

I have tried this and I am liking it quite a lot actually

I recommend everybody to give it a try !

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Been having a good time with War of Eclipse. Game Stew's overall style and 8-bit art give their games an interesting and unique vibe that I really dig. I kept postponing a proper playthrough of the first Tower of Fortune but I'll definitely play it and the sequel after I'm done with WoE.

Rayman Fiesta Run is on sale for $1.49 on the Google Play Store. I wonder if the app store version will go on sale any time soon

PittaGAF

Any whatsoever news about FTL new version and iPad port?
If I recall well they said 'early 2014'....but there was absolutely no news since the announcement back in last year.

Not really the same thing but somewhat similar, Out There should be in the AppStore this week or next one (submitted last week).
I tried the first part of the beta and was really nice with tons of potential.

killercow

Any whatsoever news about FTL new version and iPad port?
If I recall well they said 'early 2014'....but there was absolutely no news since the announcement back in last year.

Not really the same thing but somewhat similar, Out There should be in the AppStore this week or next one (submitted last week).
I tried the first part of the beta and was really nice with tons of potential.

No news yet but it should come soon. I'm pretty sure it will be out in march/early april.

Can't wait for Out There either, the beta is a blast to play.

PittaGAF

No news yet but it should come soon. I'm pretty sure it will be out in march/early april.

March April????
That's not soon enough!!!! :p

Can't wait for Out There either, the beta is a blast to play.

Yeah I loved it too; now that the info is public I can safely say I LOVED in particular how well it was done the iPhone version...to the point I played almost there.
Very very easy to pick and play, only to discover you played 2 hours straight.

dock

Box It is a nice reimplantation of Qiz, but it sometimes crashes at the precise moment you complete the stage, which is an especially annoying moment to crash! D:

but basically it's Qix with the player moving constantly. Which causes some control issues around corners, tbh.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What's a good match 3 game in the same vein as Bejeweled?

Bejeweled is still the king. I could play Butterfly mode forever. These are nice, though:

Dungeon Raid - it's match three, but with some basic RPG and rougelike elements added. Dungeon Story is a solid alt.
Scurvy Scalawags - similar to Dungeon Raid, but more fleshed out and pirate themed.
Chuzzle - PopCap's other match-3 game. it's simple, but cute.
Zookeeper Battle - pretty typical match three gameplay, but with addictive head-to-head multiplayer.
PuzzleCraft - it's F2P, but the crafting/farming angle is a fun twist.
1000000 - like Dungeon Raid re-imagined as an endless runner.
Super Monsters Ate My Condo - not a traditional match-3 at all, but it still counts AFAIC. this game is nuts.

RE: Threes, I love the game but it frustrates me. I feel like I'm getting better and better at playing the game, but it's not at all reflected by my scores. My top three runs were within the first hour of playing the game, when I only halfway understood what I was doing. Now I can barely break 2K. It's weird.

ksan

So, basically you can write down your first 12 draws, and then take into account bonus higher cards, and you'll able to infer a lot more about upcoming draws.
This game =/

Gonna try out the theory later

NVM, I misread it, you always have a stack of four 1s, four 2s, four 3s, which get reshuffeld after you use them up. Sometimes you also get extra bonus cards with higher values, at most 3 ranks below your highest card, these are additional cards and aren't counted as part of your stack, and you'll still need to use up your whole stack to get a reshuffle.
So, if you keep track of it, and you know that after a reshuffle you have drawn four 2s and four 3s and a 1, you know that you will draw three 1s in a row (not counting any bonus cards).
edit: Oh, and I think your 9 cards out on the board in the beginning are part of your stack, so after three draws the first reshuffle comes, then its 12 cards+bonus cards for a reshuffle.

So, this game is essentially a spreadsheet warrior game.
hope I didn't ruin anyone's enjoyment of the game!

clem84

Gold Member
I just purchased Oceanhorn and in the description it says that it has controller support. What is currently the best controller solution for the Ipad?

okno

God damn, Threes. It's beginning to click with me, but I still can't beat 3337. My games last longer and longer and I get bigger numbers, but at the end it always equals the same.

Still, can't stop playing it, no matter how much it just pisses me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom