• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2017 | Providing escapism since 2008

omg_mjd

Heard it's not very good and no way I'm going to use 2.5 GB of space to find out even at $1.

Thanks. Still curious though. I might bite.

Monster Hunter freedom unite for iOS is 50% off. 6.99 for a limited time

MONSTER HUNTER FREEDOM UNITE for iOS by CAPCOM
https://appsto.re/in/-LezS.i

This is an fantastic port of a great game. Seriously the best virtual controls I've ever used.

I bought it and it's amazing how well the controls work (I'm playing on a 5S). It's also the best looking portable MH game by far--obviously the IQ is above the PSP version but it looks nicer than the 3DS games as well.

awp69

Not sure exactly why I decided to get Monster Hunter as well. I seriously doubt I'll have enough time to devote to the steep learning curve.

Ketch

Thanks. Still curious though. I might bite.

I bought it and it's amazing how well the controls work (I'm playing on a 5S). It's also the best looking portable MH game by far--obviously the IQ is above the PSP version but it looks nicer than the 3DS games as well.

Yea agreed. I have no idea how they were able to make a virtual analog stick so good while everybody elses sucks so hard.

Pachimari

Nobody should skip out on Monster Hunter.

It seems Atari has released a new Rollercoaster Tycoon game. It's free to play and called Rollercoaster Tycoon Touch. Not sure why they decided on this when they had RCT4 already. Maybe better and more microtransactions.

PittaGAF

Not really iOS related but I just noticed one of my favorite games ever, Warhammer Quest, just hit PS4 and XBOXONE.

Incredible.
And totally unexpected.

awp69

Not really iOS related but I just noticed one of my favorite games ever, Warhammer Quest, just hit PS4 and XBOXONE.

Incredible.
And totally unexpected.

That's cool and tempting. Wondering why it's $29.99 on X1 but only $19.99 on PS4.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Incredible.
And totally unexpected.

Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch is also on consoles now (€54.99). Seems to be in Europe only.

That's cool and tempting. Wondering why it's $29.99 on X1 but only $19.99 on PS4.

$19.99? It's €39.99 in Europe on PS4 - that's pretty gross.

PittaGAF

Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch is also on consoles now (€54.99). Seems to be in Europe only.

$19.99? It's €39.99 in Europe on PS4 - that's pretty gross.

Well it's cool and all but imho, especially Warhammer Quest, is best played on a touch a device.
But I think that for almost all TBS games, so maybe I'm biased.

bonesquad

Two great PC games are coming soon to iOS:

Turmoil, coming this Thursday:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Turmoil/news.asp?c=73068

And Mushroom 11 coming March 9:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Mushroom+11/news.asp?c=73061

When I saw this I realized Mushroom 11 was in the recent Freedom Bundle so I tried the game. Pretty cool, and I could see the game working well on a touch screen. Erasing blob so you can reform elsewhere is an interesting mechanic.

Ah, on the iOS side I grabbed Colt Express because I was curious how the board game played. I didn't expect the Frozen Synapse like plan your moves and then watch them play out at the same time as others (sort of). Which is neat. The implementation itself is solid but no local multiplayer is disappointing (haven't tried online). The adventure mode is a nice way to try out the game, but it's odd. There seem to be puzzle like moves you need to do to accomplish a very specific goal, but then you also have to cross your fingers and hope the AI doesn't take steps to mess that up. Otherwise you restart and try the same moves again...

Arroyo

Neo Member
I'd really like to buy The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, BUT I don't know if its frame rate is good enough. I could find only one iOS gameplay video on YT and it seems to be unstable. Idk if it's a problem of the video itself, though.

Could anybody tell me if it plays smooth enough? (I've got an iPad Air 2) If it has problems of frame rate, then it would be a no-go for me, I mean, no shadows and despite that, a bad frame rate too. Meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knd62SmJPR0

PittaGAF

Really liking Tavern Guardians.
A nice blend between roguelike and match-3, with a brutal difficulty and a TON of wildly different enemies, bosses and items.

Great time waster that requires some serious strategy and timing.

New shots from Bemuse
C5hZTslVUAAsGP2
C5hZOoIVUAAKLd6.jpg

Oynox

I was wondering if the sound design in Hidden Folks really is like it is presented in the app store video. Not sure if I am willing to drop 4€ on a where's Waldo game though.

awp69

Really liking Tavern Guardians.
A nice blend between roguelike and match-3, with a brutal difficulty and a TON of wildly different enemies, bosses and items.

Great time waster that requires some serious strategy and timing.

Yeah, I'm digging it too. Have three of the four heroes unlocked. The variety of enemies and bosses (and their methods of attack) is indeed fantastic.

Originally thought it had an ending for each character being stage based but it's supposedly endless. Mainly a score chaser but a great one.

Would love to see them add a story mode though.

Probably my favorite match-3 RPG since Hero Emblems -- though there is a significant gap between HE and anything else.

PittaGAF

Yeah, I'm digging it too. Have three of the four heroes unlocked. The variety of enemies and bosses (and their methods of attack) is indeed fantastic.

Originally thought it had an ending for each character being stage based but it's supposedly endless. Mainly a score chaser but a great one.

Would love to see them add a story mode though.

Probably my favorite match-3 RPG since Hero Emblems -- though there is a significant gap between HE and anything else.

I've unlocked them all and they all play very differently.
Really loving it and my favorite match-3 since ages.
The variety is what impresses me more.
I continue to see new things, patterns, powers and items, all with different animations.
Yep it's endless but basically each stage is an adventure on its own , with a different boss every time.
Money and upgrades are permanent and persist between games.
There is a ton to memorize too, because I've already seen countless different enemy.

Really a great package.

awp69

I've unlocked them all and they all play very differently.
Really loving it and my favorite match-3 since ages.
The variety is what impresses me more.
I continue to see new things, patterns, powers and items, all with different animations.
Yep it's endless but basically each stage is an adventure on its own , with a different boss every time.
Money and upgrades are permanent and persist between games.
There is a ton to memorize too, because I've already seen countless different enemy.

Really a great package.

Just started playing with the Mage. Wow is she awesome. Maybe a little overpowered but we'll see how far I get :)

Bit of an odd one, I've loved games in the past that are puzzle RPGs but have struggled to find a good non puzzle RPG that has stuck with me.

Loved - dungeon raid, Solitairica, hero emblems (just downloaded that tavern heros too)

Couldn't get into- any of the F2P FF games, the fire emblem game. Anything landscape just bugs me.

I want a good RPG or rogue like, prefer premium price rather than IAP that plays in portrait and can be put down / played in bursts. Preferably turn based. AM I HOPING FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE

Bit of an odd one, I've loved games in the past that are puzzle RPGs but have struggled to find a good non puzzle RPG that has stuck with me.

Loved - dungeon raid, Solitairica, hero emblems (just downloaded that tavern heros too)

Couldn't get into- any of the F2P FF games, the fire emblem game. Anything landscape just bugs me.

I want a good RPG or rogue like, prefer premium price rather than IAP that plays in portrait and can be put down / played in bursts. Preferably turn based. AM I HOPING FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE
Have you played Hero Emblems?

Five Card Quest, Hoplite, Enyo, Auro, Swap Sword, Imbroglio, and the recent Tavern Guardians might fit your description

Finally realized how attacking in Tavern Guardians works. Okay, this puts it up there with Hero Emblems, at least in terms of board control and tactical matching. Easily the best match-3 RPG (well, more roguelike) since that, and the best match-3 since Swapperoo

Finally realized how attacking in Tavern Guardians works. Okay, this puts it up there with Hero Emblems, at least in terms of board control and tactical matching. Easily the best match-3 RPG (well, more roguelike) since that, and the best match-3 since Swapperoo

Oooooo that looks good

Boney

Banned
Alice in Wordland is absolutely charming. Not sure if it'll get much tougher but it's a great game for kids.

Oooooo that looks good
Yeah, it took a while for it to click with me, but once I realized that you only hurt enemies that are bordering your match, it changed the game. Combine that with the passive and active skills that stack with the size of the match or enemy positions on the grid, as well as stacking perks, the game just blossoms.

My only tiny gripe is that I wish class skills weren't set in stone and you could decide their skill loadout.

SummitAve

Banned
This is really fun. Very polished and quirky. I was wondering how they'd combine the precision needed for a shmup with the randomness of the ball bouncing off paddles; they have a line that let's you aim the bounces. It works very well. Definitely worth checking out

+1 plays and runs great on my mini 2. Scratching that breakout/pinball/peggle itch. I'm leaving the sound on for this one too since I'm finding all the sound effects very satisfying. Underwater theme matches well to the gameplay and really adds to the total package.

awp69

I'm having a lot of fun with Tavern Guardians too. I just realized that two hours have gone by but I unlocked the Mage and berserker on my last play through. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I didn't like the Gunner as much as the Paladin. The level 3 boss seemed impossible but I managed to beat him with some holy grail item (restore armor and health) and make it to level 7! Scored 954 :D

Back in I go... good recommendation!

I think I like the Mage the best. Possibly a little over powered.

Berserker is easily my least favorite. That whole lose HP to use your special attacks is painful. But once I get tired of the others, I suppose it would be a good challenge to play under those conditions.

wonderpug

Neo Member
In Tavern Guardians can you disable having pieces shake to give you a hint for a next move? I'd much rather be able to take my time looking for a really good move without having the shaking distract me.

Li Kao

Hey iOS Gaf, I'm wondering something and it's the totally normal place to ask, so :
I'm largely overdue on a phone refresh (in fact I have no phone atm) but I'm really intimidated by Apple's prices.

- Is there still a huge discrepancy of game availability on Android ? I would think that with the move to F2P the two ecosystems would be treated the same. What is the current situation ?

- Power-wise, a high end Android phone vs an iPhone, will I see a big difference or not ?

Thanks for any input. This year I should refresh mobile and tablet, this is a little terrifying.

killercow

Hey iOS Gaf, I'm wondering something and it's the totally normal place to ask, so :
I'm largely overdue on a phone refresh (in fact I have no phone atm) but I'm really intimidated by Apple's prices.

- Is there still a huge discrepancy of game availability on Android ? I would think that with the move to F2P the two ecosystems would be treated the same. What is the current situation ?

- Power-wise, a high end Android phone vs an iPhone, will I see a big difference or not ?

Thanks for any input. This year I should refresh mobile and tablet, this is a little terrifying.

1) There's still quite a bit of wait between Android and iOS for some high profile titles, even more when it's iPad only but in general it's better now than a few years ago.

2) iOS is in general quite more powerful and stable and there's no contest that the iPad is the most powerful tablet money can buy (not mentioning hybrids like the Surface or Surface Book of course)

awp69

I fucking hate that wiggle in every matching game that has it. It's never the optimal play, thankfully, which just makes it useless and distracting. If someone's stuck and really can't find a match on their own, I'd consider that a loss lol.

In Tavern Guardians can you disable having pieces shake to give you a hint for a next move? I'd much rather be able to take my time looking for a really good move without having the shaking distract me.

I read the thread over on TA and the dev plans to add the option to turn it off in an update. Yeah, it annoys me too.

Don't know if this has been posted yet but it sounds amazing:

Toucharcade said:
There's an intriguing new mobile games inititative that wants to be the "HBO of mobile games" called The Label, and it's got some intriguing names behind the scenes, not to mention with content being created for the service. Robert Bowling, formerly of Infinity Ward, is behind The Label, with publisher FunPlus helping to back the initative. The Label will publish Bumbo by Binding of Isaac [$14.99] creator Edmund McMillen. As well, Guildlings by Threes [$2.99] developer Sirvo will be part of The Label,

http://toucharcade.com/2017/02/28/the-label-is-a-premium-gaming-publisher/

Oynox

I'd take everything Robert Bowling does with a grain of salt...

/edit

Maybe I mistake him for someone else, but I could bet that quite a few of his ambitious projects were cancelled because they flopped.

Top Bottom