• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2017 | What Would Apple Do (WWAD)

Matt Frost

Uodated to iOS 11 by mistake... but at least seems nicer than other iOS... great Games tab, more options in settings... better settings

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
can someone tell me the best, safest way to DL brawl stars?

i dont want to get banned by playing from the US

thanks iosbudz

j-wood

How well does the 8bitdo snes controller work with ipads? I was thinking of getting one for my new ipad pro, but will it work with most games? Will it work well with apple tv?

wow, really?

can you briefly sell me on it?
Fast-paced platformer, with a slick color swapping mechanics that is used in myriad clever ways for precision platforming, puzzles, bosses, and high-scoring arcade challenges, all in the same game. The game then layers on all kind of interesting mechanics on top of that color-swapping, controlling-two-at-once foundation, from switched gravity to size changing

Really solid touch controls, a vibrant aesthetic, and just the right level of difficulty

Matt Frost

32-bits games and apps are completely gone on the AppStore. You can even find them anymore. And if you search for devs, all their 32bits apps dont even show. Is impossible to buy any 32 bit apps, the devs who doesnt have at least one app in 64 bits dont even show up on the AppStore either anymore. Vlambeer doesnt even show up on Search. At least you cant buy them by mistake

Notifications and Control Center also changed a bit as well.

I have half games as yesterday.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
32-bits games and apps are completely gone on the AppStore. You can even find them anymore. And if you search for devs, all their 32bits apps dont even show. Is impossible to buy any 32 bit apps, the devs who doesnt have at least one app in 64 bits dont even show up on the AppStore either anymore. Vlambeer doesnt even show up on Search. At least you cant buy them by mistake

Notifications and Control Center also changed a bit as well.

I have half games as yesterday.

On iOS 11 yes. This isn't news I think.
Anything 32-bit is hidden in the store.

You can view but not buy those apps if you go by the developer pages (they show up with disclaimers that iOS 11 don't support them) but devs that only have 32-bit apps are hidden as you noticed as well.

Vlambeer is updating their apps in time for public release.

Edit: this is what a 32-bit app page looks like:

vFiqnK9.jpg

Oynox

How well does Kingdom: New Lands play on an iPhone? Wondering about it because I am currently playing the PC version and it felt like it would fit the mobile format perfectly due to the simplistic controls and overall very relaxing gameplay.

PittaGAF

How well does Kingdom: New Lands play on an iPhone? Wondering about it because I am currently playing the PC version and it felt like it would fit the mobile format perfectly due to the simplistic controls and overall very relaxing gameplay.

It's awesome (and support iCloud sync between devices too).
I played it to death on a 6S till late night in bed.
Seems native.

BUT.....I wouldn't say gameplay is THAT relaxing.
Wait till a huge monster pops out from a temporary portal on island 5 and tell me if that's relaxing, expecially after it destroyed everything :p

It's a great game.

awp69

Sat on the fence with Age of Rivals because I'm not that into civilization building games and wasn't sure I'd like it. Now I kind of regret it since it's up to $3.99. Not that that's bad but I've been spending a lot lately (mostly on console games).

Oh well, might consider it down the road.

Sat on the fence with Age of Rivals because I'm not that into civilization building games and wasn't sure I'd like it. Now I kind of regret it since it's up to $3.99. Not that that's bad but I've been spending a lot lately (mostly on console games).

It's a civilization builder in the same way that Card Crawl is a dungeon crawler. As in a card mechanic, but not really a builder like a Civ or similar game

awp69

It's a civilization builder in the same way that Card Crawl is a dungeon crawler. As in a card mechanic, but not really a builder like a Civ or similar game

Yeah, I will probably pick it up at some point.

Definitely planning to get the Solitairica expansion when they fix the IAP. And want to get Kalimba too so it'll be further down the list.

Too many games between consoles and iOS!

PittaGAF

You should have asked me :)
I HATE Civilization and all city/base/whatever building games (I hate the building part in XCOM with a passion).
I LOVE Age of Rivals (and having bought it for a dollar I feel I robbed the dev).

It's a great deck building game, highly original and addictive.
So much it's a stand out in a really crowded time for one of my fav genres.
Among Card Thief, Miracle Merchant, Reigns and Solitairica updates, Missile Cards...it's up with the best.

awp69

You should have asked me :)
I HATE Civilization and all city/base/whatever building games (I hate the building part in XCOM with a passion).
I LOVE Age of Rivals (and having bought it for a dollar I feel I robbed the dev).

It's a great deck building game, highly original and addictive.
So much it's a stand out in a really crowded time for one of my fav genres.
Among Card Thief, Miracle Merchant, Reigns and Solitairica updates, Missile Cards...it's up with the best.

Alright, alright! I'll definitely get it (at some point) with that enthusiastic recommendation. :)

I did get Missle Cards and am loving it. And just read that the Solitairica IAP finally works so I HAVE to get that being one of my all time favorites.

baconcow

You can view but not buy those apps if you go by the developer pages (they show up with disclaimers that iOS 11 don't support them) but devs that only have 32-bit apps are hidden as you noticed as well.

I am unable to see any 32-bit applications of the developers page. For example, with Oddworld Inhabitants Inc., I only see Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, not their other 32-bit games. I only know two of Vlambeer's iOS games (both 32-bit), so I am unable to test this on their developer page.

Matt Frost

Finished Monument Valley 2. Pretty good but very easy and less inspired than the first one, there isnt puzzles like cube. But a piece of art nonetheless.
and Totem is a door!

Playing Swing King and is fun. For fans of The Last Rocket and games like that. Easy gameplay mechanic that soon turns devious and gets more depth with multiple obstacles and other things along the way. Pretty good.

So... Kalimba seems good... might dive in!

Vlambeer is updating their apps in time for public release.

Edit: this is what a 32-bit app page looks like:

vFiqnK9.jpg

I didnt know that. But i like the way it is. iOS has to take steps forward and this is one of them: a more unified system. I will miss a few games but... the are other games... plenty of them, releasing every week (and on my wishlist... Mushroom-11, Steamworld Hesit,...) ... and Clash Royale (reached Legendary Arena 11!!). Also, nice to know SCB is going to be updated :D

Damn, I'm back into mobile gaming after a small hiatus xD

Reinstalled Vainglory and trying out Card Theif which is very awesome and polished

baconcow

• Apple Broke My Heart into 64-bits
  • Get 64-bit or Get Out
  • Quibbles and Bits
  • 64-bit Apples and 32-bit Oranges
  • 32-bit Apple Saws
  • Appocalypse Now
  • 32-bits Later

awp69

Guess the Solitairica DLC is still hosed. You can buy it now but it doesn't stick. Have to keep restoring the purchase which also means you lose any progress. Hopefully it gets straightened out.

So, what are some good RPGs on iPad?

I was thinking of finally beating Planescape, but wondering if there are some others to look into. Looking for something with good controls and great story. Saw that KOTOR is a good port, but already beat so many times.

HotHamBoy

So, what are some good RPGs on iPad?

I was thinking of finally beating Planescape, but wondering if there are some others to look into. Looking for something with good controls and great story. Saw that KOTOR is a good port, but already beat so many times.

Try Ember?

There's a bunch of other crusty PC WRPGs, too.

How well does the 8bitdo snes controller work with ipads? I was thinking of getting one for my new ipad pro, but will it work with most games? Will it work well with apple tv?

8bitdo controllers are not MFI. They connect via iCade mode, which is basically a bluetooth keyboard input. Only games with support for iCade will work with 8bitdo controllers. The list of good games with support is small and the newest one I can think of is Crashlands. The vast majority of games require MFi and will not work with them.

Now, that said, I have the SNES 30 and the NES30 Pro and they are excellent controllers. The build quality is fantastic, the SNES30 looks and feels exactly like my genuine SNES controller. I have a USB SNES knockoff and you can tell it's not the same.

8bitdo will work with PC, Android and Switch out of the box. Icade mode is supported by most of the DotEmu arcade ports, your Metal Slugs and other SNK ports, Pinball Arcade, etc.

8bitdo controllers are not MFI. They connect via iCade mode, which is basically a bluetooth keyboard input. Only games with support for iCade will work with 8bitdo controllers. The list of good games with support is small and the newest one I can think of is Crashlands. The vast majority of games require MFi and will not work with them.

Now, that said, I have the SNES 30 and the NES30 Pro and they are excellent controllers. The build quality is fantastic, the SNES30 looks and feels exactly like my genuine SNES controller. I have a USB SNES knockoff and you can tell it's not the same.

8bitdo will work with PC, Android and Switch out of the box. Icade mode is supported by most of the DotEmu arcade ports, your Metal Slugs and other SNK ports, Pinball Arcade, etc.

Just a note, Switch support requires the latest firmware which removes iCade mode. You can, however, downgrade back to the old firmware without Switch support.

Hi guys

How do the Final Fantasy games hold up? I’m eyeing IV or something like that - I just want a simple turn based RPG to play on my iPad and willing to pay.

PittaGAF

Another tidbit of info for Darkest Dungeon:

"Many of you have been asking about Switch, Xbox, tablet, and such. The short answer is that yes, other platforms are planned for release. We can’t formally announce anything just yet, but news is not far away and we can’t wait to share with you!"

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/crimson-court-update-175000-copies-sold-and-counting/

Pretty sure they mean Switch and Xbox with 'not far away', not to mention the concept of 'not far away' is AGES in my timeframe. :(

But I want to believe I'll play Darkest Dungeon on iOS after the summer.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hmmmmm, maybe I won't upgrade to 11.

Is that an official thing from Apple? They no longer support adblockers...?

Some Adblockers work, others don't. Seems to be a bug more than anything. Apple's stance hasn't changed.

It's a bug in the current iOS build. It causes memory used by many standard content blockers to exceed the limited memory allocation that is provided by the function (aka. they erroneously use too much memory to initiate).

Purify released an insight update to correct this on iOS 11 and there are others that do also work (like NeverAds).

Ultima_5

Hey gaf. What are so more recent asynchronous multiplayer game recommendations for iOS/android?

I want something fun to play with my girlf. There's words with friends but I'd end up working through my vocabulary in only a few matches

Top Bottom