• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2014: We didn't even know this was releasing on iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

Tactics Maiden looks promising.

Have you seen Tactics Maiden?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tactics-maiden/id894166968

I'd say Phantom Rift has some strategic depth in choosing what skills work well together, timing your attacks, controlling the grid, buffing your stats through magic and gear, etc. But it might not be what you're looking for
Oh, I'm checking both. Thanks! Phantom Rift is not turn based but looks really cool anyway :p

Minsc

Gold Member
Yup! I'm re-playing Fire Emblem: Awakening and I was looking for something similar on my phone. It's weird that there aren't any obvious clones, it's a genre that would work great on mobile.

You could always try XCOM or Record of Agarest War (though I don't think I've ever seen any positive impressions for this one, it's still a full-fledged console srpg). There's a few other similar style games to Agarest ported to iOS too, but again, not the best reception, and I forget what they are lol.

XCOM would be a great choice though, if you haven't played it.

awp69

Looks like Beatbuddy is coming out tonight for iOS after all. Hope the Android version does as well (have no space on my 5S).

Hey, so Mario, remember when I said that The Maze Runner was my favorite PikPok game? I lied. You guys (and the folks at Adult Swim) have outdone yourselves with Adventure Xpress.

I'm not always a fan of match-3 games, but I do enjoy the games that blend the mechanics with other genres. Most of the time, I feel those games falter in some way, being too hectic, too fast, the matching elements seeming arbitrary and somewhat disconnected from the other mechanics. You're more focused on simply making matches as fast as possible rather than any real strategy

In that way, I feel Adventure Xpress is a resounding success. The gameplay flow gives the encounters a turn-based combat vibe; your enemy attacks every time you move a tile, making every move critical. You have all the time in the world to plan and figure out the most efficient and effective ways to set up chains. Elements such as barriers that clutter the grid, frozen or chained tiles that can't be moved, special tiles that unleash column-clearing blasts, spells charged by certain tiles, and more add challenge and a surprising amount of strategy to the matching gameplay

But Adventure Xpress doesn't just impress with its fun and engaging gameplay. With its colorful visuals and the kind of polish you'd expect from an Adult Swim game, Adventure Xpress is a charming visual experience. The grid explodes with color with every combo and spell. Your enemies are diverse and unique, and both foes and hero are well animated.

Adventure Xpress may be F2P, but don't let that dissuade you from trying this engaging blend of Match 3 and RPG lite.

Honestly I'm enjoying it more than Castle Doombad. On PC, Super House of Dead Ninjas and Westerado (and Rain World...eventually) are my favorite Adult Swim games, but I think Adventure Xpress is their best IOS title.

awp69

Hey, so Mario, remember when I said that The Mazer Runner was my favorite PikPok game? I lied. You guys have outdone yourselves with Adventure Xpress.

I'm not always a fan of match-3 games, but I do enjoy the games that blend the mechanics with other genres. Most of the time, I feel those games falter in some way, being too hectic, too fast, the matching elements seeming arbitrary and somewhat disconnected from the other mechanics. You're more focused on simply making matches as fast as possible rather than any real strategy

In that way, I feel Adventure Xpress is a resounding success. The gameplay flow gives the encounters a turn-based combat vibe; your enemy attacks every time you move a tile, making every move critical. You have all the time in the world to plan and figure out the most efficient and effective ways to set up chains. Elements such as barriers that clutter the grid, frozen or chained tiles that can't be moved, special tiles that unleash column-clearing blasts, spells charged by certain tiles, and more add challenge and a surprising amount of strategy to the matching gameplay

But Adventure Xpress doesn't just impress with its fun and engaging gameplay. With its colorful visuals and the kind of polish you'd expect from an Adult Swim game, Adventure Xpress is a charming visual experience. The grid explodes with color and flare with every combo and spell. Your enemies are diverse and unique, and both foes and hero are well animated.

Adventure Xpress may be F2P, but don't let that dissuade you from trying this engaging blend of Match 3 and RPG lite.

Nice write up! Picking this up for sure.

And now with Beatbuddy and Inferno 2 popping up, it's turning into a great night!

chris121580

There are not "timers" in Adventure Xpress in the way there are timers in other F2P games to deliver you items or to fully wall you off from playing. If you die 3 times in quick succession, you will see a timer for refilling life potions but those replenish quickly (30 mins) and you can skip it by watching a 30-second ad or using currency that can be earned in-game.

But again, you have to die 3x and there's plenty you can do to prevent that. :D

I understand that timers are a turn-off, but I'm going to be surprised if most players have a huge problem with the way they're implemented here.

Thank you for clarifying. I'll definitely give it a shot

awp69

Oddly haven't seen it anywhere, but for those of you into runners, Stylish Sprint 2 is out.

The original was actually really good when it came out. Interested to see how this one fares. Looks a lot less minimalistic compared to the first game. Also hope it's F2P model doesn't ruin it.

EDIT: Played a bit and it might pick up but, kinda bland so far and appears to eventually have the dreaded timers.

Hoggy110

Neo Member
The Angry Birds domination continues. Not content with merely doing games based off movie licenses, Rovio now plans to take over the movie industry itself

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Angry+Birds/news.asp?c=61807

I'm...not sure how to feel about any of that

---

I tried Adventure Xpress for an hour last night, and it's really enjoyable. There seems to be quite a bit of content in there, and the gameplay feels quite a bit more than what you'd expect from a match-3 game. The F2P elements don't feel too bad right now as well, which is great. It feels like the same PikPok behind games like Giant Boulder

Shaneus

I just gave it a quick go and I'm really liking it as well. Have been itching for a decent match-3 since that pirate one quite a while back and I think this fits.

Not sure what it's like content-wise, but I'd love to see an F2P like this have a buy-in for extra content.

awp69

I'll be waiting for Adventure Xpress at 11 EST. Looks great. And, this may sound really stupid, but I'm glad it uses traditional slide match-3 mechanics. For some reason, I have trouble getting into all these line-drawing match-3s.

Guess I'm weird that way.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I just saw the size of the map so I don't think my comment is quite relevant, but extra chapters/story/levels or however you want to class them. Plus, more content, characters and stuff :)

There is intention to deliver more monsters/enemies, regions and equipment over time for free.

What is released over time and how it is ultimately monetized will be an ongoing discussion though, so no promises there.

okno

I could have sworn I saw someone mention that Adventure a press had iCloud support, but it doesn't work for me if it does... Am I crazy?

Edit: it works!

Corgi

Banned
goofing around with my old games on my 6+ is interesting. for most games that are virtual thumbs, its better to play.

Others that i could easily thumb to the middle of the screen, is a bit harder. Cook serve delicious iphone version is the most recent game to mind.pretty damn hard to throw out the trash and wash the dishes with thumbs.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I could have sworn I saw someone mention that Adventure a press had iCloud support, but it doesn't work for me if it does... Am I crazy?

Edit: it works!

Your iPhone autocomplete error has inspired me to make a sequel based around a dry cleaning service set in a fantasy world.

PittaGAF

OMG....just when I saw Card Dungeon approved......THE BANNER SAGA is is out!!!!!!

And for iPhone too!!!!!!

Cursed Treasure 2 looks great and it'll get my money, yes.
---

Guys, I'm in a SRPG kick and I can't believe there's -nothing- on iOS (or PC!) short of FFT and Shining Force. Any suggestions? I found Ravenmark pretty terrible :(

http://www.rideongames.com/smartphone/merce3/

It looks like a very blatant Tactics Ogre rip but I haven't touched it. Rideon's games are pretty solid.

Good luck finding a game with Fire Emblem's level of polish aside from FFT.

Cursed Treasure 2 looks great and it'll get my money, yes.
---

Guys, I'm in a SRPG kick and I can't believe there's -nothing- on iOS (or PC!) short of FFT and Shining Force. Any suggestions? I found Ravenmark pretty terrible :(
Well what timing. The Banner Saga is out now, so I recommend checking that out as well

PittaGAF

The Banner Saga

iTunes Link

screen480x480.jpeg

screen480x480.jpeg

screen480x480.jpeg

I can't believe is finally here.

I hope months of frustrations refraining playing the PC version pay off.

PittaGAF

I'd love to hear banner saga impressions

I'm at work now....waiting for the download to complete on a 4S (I'll try at least to launch it for 5 mins sneaking somewhere).
In 4 hours I'll try it on iPad Air.

If you can wait that long...I'll be sure to give detailed impressions.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Would love to hear how Banner Saga runs on iPad2.

Kinda sad that iPad2 is on the way out, lots of newer games are too rich for it's blood :(

PittaGAF

Italian AppStore is down for some reason....so I'm stuck at 80% download on a 100Mbit line.

I'm RAGING.

Matt Frost

That seems a little conflicting... though I suppose timers bother me less than most people. Just have another game to go to, and they generally become irrelevant anyway. But it does sound like there are none?

I haven't seen any timer yet. Adventure Xpress is awesome. It should be added to the OP.

Beatbuddy is really cool, like Badland and an adventure mixed together. (It takes 1,3 GB installed)

Inferno 2 seems (so far) very similar to the first one. But if so, it will be an epic ride nonetheless.

Cloud Knights is not clicking with me at the moment (I found a promo code on some forum).

And Sony has released another endless runner, this time a premium app (NO IAP)(Sackboy Run doesnt have a release date yet)
screen520x924.jpeg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id919658560?mt=8

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is Adventure Xpress out yet? I didn't see it when I searched for it in the App Store. I'm in the UK though, so maybe it's not here yet?

awp69

Damn wasn't expexcting Banner Saga! I wonder if the Android version will be out today as well. Would love to play it on a tablet.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'd love to hear banner saga impressions

Here's the consensus I gathered for the PC release:

MztcO2I.png

Definitely comes recommended overall, will be interesting to see if there are any new bumps for the iOS release (or perhaps they even fixed a few things further by now).

For the person just asking about srpgs for iOS, now there's another brand new one to consider.

Rlan

Hey guys!

After a long, gruling development cycle, Fruit Ninja has just gotten a massive facelift.

screen480x480.jpeg
screen480x480.jpeg

This is the biggest Fruit Ninja update ever! The entire game has been redesigned from the ground up to accommodate an incredible amount of content for new and existing players.

AWESOME POWERS – Blades and Dojos in the game now add a unique twist to gameplay. Bonus powers, extra time, fresh surprises – everything changes the game, so experiment with your favorite combinations and take your score to a whole new level!

NEW MENUS – We’ve rebuilt everything! A new intuitive menu flow showcases the action, so it’s now even easier to get to where you need to be and slice that fruit!

UNIVERSE AND CHARACTERS – Welcome to the world of Fruitasia, which is home to many colorful characters! In this update please welcome Katsuro and Mari, joining Sensei, Gutsu and Truffles to guide you through the action! More characters will be added regularly!

The guys and gals have been hard at work to update Fruit Ninja to the new age of iPhone games. Might have been a while since you've played it, so give it a go!

Download it here! (Free / Paid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom