• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2014: We didn't even know this was releasing on iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ioPs3Ht2eLoVm.png

ibqn4tTnG1yXaH.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain games that released both towards the end of the previous month and games that have released during the current month.
All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

Also keep an eye out for the ‘GAF iOS Challenges’; events where GAF battle it out on the Game Center leaderboards of a chosen game for both fame and fortune (prizes donated by members of our community).

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

issq3pkvt2NKA.png

iTgvQ6IGOyZpe.png

ibfO3tHKZ9UWIQ.png

ixqAe65MB3K62.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Puzzle to the Center of the Earth is really fun. At first, I wasn't happy about the whole energy system. But I actually look at it as a gameplay mechanic to make it more challenging --- requiring more planning to get more energy as you move ahead and not wasting moves.
Puzzle To The Center of the Earth is deep...literally. Each of the game's 90+ levels take you another layer underground, into more diverse and dangerous territory. It's a Match 3 game unlike any I've played before, polished with the charm and quality we've come to expect from Foursaken.

Your skill set isn't limited to merely matching. Matches of six or more blocks reward you with crystals that power special abilities (for example, match blue + red + green to cause an block-clearing explosion) and gear such as bombs, armor, and air tanks add more options and help you deal with enemies and traps along the way.

The game is free-to-play, but it's fair and there's an IAP to remove the lives count.
Puzzle to the Center of the Earth is good, but I really wish it had foregone the level setup, as level-based games just make me think of Angry Birds, and I really hate the "gotta get 3* compulsion" associated with it. I don't like the movement either. Just not for me. I really liked Foresaken's first few efforts, and I appreciate their business model and work ethic, but I just wish their games clicked better with me.

ibzyDpxBxChxWU.png

iEnFhTPdwbG2h.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Ok, you guy's ready? You know what I'm going to say, right? All together now...

I didn't know QbQbQb was coming to IOS! Really enjoyed the game on PC. It's stylish and colorful but can get really tricky and challenging
-- Circular twitchy Tetris, with an extra variant mode where you need to put blocks on opposite sides to make them disappear. But it's well crafted and polished. Rezoner is a great dev, I enjoy a lot of his stuff.
QbQbQb is great, I recommend this rotating "Tetris" puzzler, remind me of 3D Tetris. Wonderful presentation and sound. This will probably be a mainstay on my iPhone from now on. If I have one gripe it's the learning curve, takes a while to get a feel for how sensitive you want the touch settings to be to get really into the flow of it all. Also seems to make the iPhone 6 run a bit hot in hi-fi mode.

No Game Center leaderboards yet unfortunately. You can try the PC version here for free: http://qbqbqb.rezoner.net/play/

ibsczOTB6GmWQ0.png

ibsv8C31fYLLm9.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Ok, Ghost Blade. About a hour in and I'm ready to proclaim this as the best action game of this kind on the AppStore. Mainly because there's no competition, but hey, heh.

It's the closest to Ninja Gaiden you will get on iOS. Obviously not nearly as deep and skilled based, but this isn't a button masher (you know what I mean) either. Enemies are getting tougher and you have to properly evade, counter attack, crowd control, watch for ranged attacks, etc. It's pretty satisfying.

And the translation is so bad it's good.

Anyway, not ready to give a verdict quite just yet, but so far I'm optimistic! Only game of this genre I enjoyed on iOS was The Gods and so far this is better.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the game is portrait only. Take that as you will.

i6O7JUwlE9KOO.png

iSIwsFdBxKO8j.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Tunesmith said:
For any fans of the point & click genre this is a must-have IMO. Dystopian sci-fi with shades of Another World and Half-Life filled with great writing and dark humor. I don't really want to spoil any of the story beats but it starts out with you as a down on your luck janitor in 1972 working for a big faceless corporation, and then something very strange happens during a regular day. The story goes some very nice places, the first episode is free so there's no excuse!

i6GzrSRoOvHFu.png

ib0S9WHectm67k.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

I'm only 4 levels in so far and the challenge is starting to pick up. You control a skull, Angry Bird style as you evade traps, collect coins, and destroy enemies. The best aspect is easily the controls. You pull back your brain and release to send the skull flying in an arc, and it is just so effortless and fluid. Holding the screen while in mid air slows time, allowing you to aim precision shots and just gives the gameplay this satisfying flow.

There are elements of physics puzzles, combat, stealth, twitch evasion, so I expect the levels to get more diverse and difficult.

From what I've played so far, I would definitely recommend Skullduggery.
Going through Skullduggery!, was a long time since iOS got such a quirky and fun game. The Angry Birds slingshot mechanic is better implemented here, a lot of replayability, no IAP, brilliant ideas, excellent controls, fun moments, a new world coming soon. Its terrific. A lot of fun. And premium. What more could I ask for?

ifP23If3cNRx1.png

iklgleZS7LIpU.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

It's a QWOP-like game, but has a charm that QWOP doesn't, due to the animations of the clumsy spindly creature you're trying to make walk
Yay, Daddy Longlegs! Adorable game and my best is 15.80m BOOM.

I enjoy this far more than QWOP.

iY34QBngcSzE7.png

ibmrXFMIl9qJpy.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

I've been playing Inferno 2 for a few days now and simply put, it's everything that made the original so enjoyable...but bigger and better. The maze-like levels filled with deadly choke points, now larger and more diverse. The varied enemies from corridor-filling hordes to turrets and other threats, now with more variants and devastating new types. The light RPG elements, now with even more aspects to upgrade.

But those improvements wouldn't matter if the shooter gameplay didn't live up to expectations...and we're talking about Radiangames here, so it does, in spades. The controls feel rock solid and the amount of options you have at any given time are almost overwhelming, between four projectiles types and four missile types. You can switch between those weapons at any time, from creeper mines and penetrating ghost missiles to spread shots and ricocheting bullets. Along with your special ability, be it slow motion or space-clearing repulsor, you have an extensive arsenal at your disposal to decimate the neon hordes across Inferno 2's 80 levels

Inferno 2 is easily Radiangames' best yet. If you're a fan of dual stick shooter, this is a must play

iUKu9SNXlfiiQ.png

icBzYitQzKmBQ.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

The Banner Saga is just GLORIOUS.

Almost instant loading, unbelievable graphics that just 'pop out' from the screen, awesome music and sound, killer interface (really, seems built just for the iPad).
Speechless, I really did well waiting this long to play it on iPad.

On a iPhone 4S it looks great and gameplay parts are perfect, but loading times are a bit too long for my likes (almost XCOM long) and cutscenes alternate from being fluid to being choppy constantly, so that's a bit annoying.

Ah! There is a really neat effect applied everywhere: the parallax move as you move your device (accelerometer).

isiHTEIgkFuYI.png

iEs7sY9AaRyEe.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Been playing it for a few weeks and it's really good. A mix of roguelike, board game, and card game, with an interesting art style.

ibhLgIEhOqrZcE.png

i86tuQxxZLKc6.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

I'm not always a fan of match-3 games, but I do enjoy the games that blend the mechanics with other genres. Most of the time, I feel those games falter in some way, being too hectic, too fast, the matching elements seeming arbitrary and somewhat disconnected from the other mechanics. You're more focused on simply making matches as fast as possible rather than any real strategy

In that way, I feel Adventure Xpress is a resounding success. The gameplay flow gives the encounters a turn-based combat vibe; your enemy attacks every time you move a tile, making every move critical. You have all the time in the world to plan and figure out the most efficient and effective ways to set up chains. Elements such as barriers that clutter the grid, frozen or chained tiles that can't be moved, special tiles that unleash column-clearing blasts, spells charged by certain tiles, and more add challenge and a surprising amount of strategy to the matching gameplay.

ir2EMCjpTn1ma.png

ibhqMigSyLCRPw.jpg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

It's pretty much the best TD game not named Kingdom Rush imo.

I really like the time features (next wave and 3x time toggle), as it's so satisfying to watch the game unfold once you have a strategy down. Solving the maps is like a puzzle. You have to carefully choose whether to build towers, or capture buildings, or cut trees. And using the scrolls that drop from the creeps at the right time adds another layer of strategy.

The game has implemented IAPs in a similar way to KR. You can buy extra help like gold or mana during a match, but the game is perfectly balanced without them. I finished all the levels without using a single power up.

ic20Kf6xrbfU.png

i10J4X6Wg2hda.png

ib1dT2h7iSu4YM.png

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ibyHj0Eql09WPw.png

A friend of mine has a blog and does daily roundups of IOS releases.
http://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/

ippJAuUVwHtsA.png

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

i40V1aSElAjkz.png

ib1hjIkU55EmU4.jpg

MOGA Ace Power Controller reviews said:

iq4XyeMdqqoju.png

iPyNA27sLHkAs.jpg

iCade Hardware / Games reviews said:

iOUdKomG1O1K3.png

if6jTSmBmYIcK.png

iIxEI6FTPvnDN.png

iOS Membership said:
Rules

• Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting:

GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)

• When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs

ibgtQNEI0Jnx7a.png

###
The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see
###

idg3hDZGrbbeF.png

How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak.
i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:

• Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents and Library folders and copy them one at a time to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folders and all their contents. They contains your save files and settings for the game. Some games only use Documents, some use both.
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents and/or Library folders and choose to copy from PC/Mac.
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents and/or Library folders on your PC/Mac, open them and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is retained, e.g. GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!

How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).

Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely.
As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/ which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.

I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
In addition to checking out the past month's iOS Gaming threads, visit Best iOS Games Ever v1 / Best iOS Games Ever v2 / iOS Hidden Gems. You're welcome.

For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini 2, or iPad Air?
Both have their pros and cons. The Mini 2 is cheaper and smaller but there is a slight difference between the Air's A7 chip and the mini's A7: the mini's is around 100MHz slower -- 1.3GHz compared to the Air's 1.4GHz. Other than that they're both identical in spec. It's very much a coin toss between if you want a 9.7" or a 7.9" screen.

I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

iizlxIqJuSAnx.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!

SmokyDave

Love the thread title.

Just downloading Turbo Dismount. Oddly I was replaying Stair Dismount just the other week.

PittaGAF

While not fond of the new form factor (too big imho) I caved in and bought an iPhone 6 too (I'm still on a 4S while waiting for Apple to deliver the 6).

Can't wait.

T.O.P

Banned
Soooo, i've been away from Ios for some ime (2-3 years)

Who can give me some must have titles while waiting for my 6 delivery? :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Soooo, i've been away from Ios for some ime (2-3 years)

Who can give me some must have titles while waiting for my 6 delivery? :)

These questions are always a great opportunity to point out that exactly what you're asking is highlighted in the OP to each monthly thread over the past 12+ months, which are all conveniently linked to in the OP. No better way to catch up on what's been going on then going through the OP's listings of highlighted games. Of course, regular replies are certainly welcome too, but I always feel you can never have enough mentioning that there's a good 100+ (maybe 200?) such games highlighted in the various OPs :)

T.O.P

Banned
These questions are always a great opportunity to point out that exactly what you're asking is highlighted in the OP to each monthly thread over the past 12+ months, which are all conveniently linked to in the OP. No better way to catch up on what's been going on then going through the OP's listings of highlighted games. Of course, regular replies are certainly welcome too, but I always feel you can never have enough mentioning that there's a good 100+ (maybe 200?) such games highlighted in the various OPs :)

spongebob-shame.gif

yup, now i see it lol

Holy whit that's a big list

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Wanted to drop in and thank whoever mentioned Knightmare Tower. I'd downloaded it and immediately threw a solid two hours into it consecutively...then introduced my wife to it the following day and watched her throw another hour into it.

Such a good game. I think it may actually be the first game where I really dig the tilt controls.

New thread!

What Minsc said.

That said is another "best of" thread overdue? Last one was eons ago.
Well there is that "Why IOS rocks" thread, but it hasn't been updated in a while. And 80 Days was released in the meantime, so that thread is woefully incomplete

I'm surprised that the Papo & Yo devs have been focusing on mobile games. Loco Motors, now Spirits of Spring.

Sadly it looks like nothing interesting is coming out tonight..just checked TA. That's a bummer
No mention of Card Dungeon there. Been playing it for a few weeks and it's really good. A mix of roguelike, board game, and card game, with an interesting art style
http://card-dungeon.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPnTKv5XEjw

With permanent death there are no shortcuts to reaching Northvale. Strategy, planning and a pinch of luck will get you far. And when all is lost, start over and see if you can reach the point where you died last so you can recover all that sweet, sweet loot you had gained on your previous run through.

There are so many cards to find. So many. There are skill cards which you use to interact with the world, attack monsters, disable traps, and more. There are also trait cards which define your character. There’s even cards that equip your character with armor, weapons and magical items. All of these cards interact with each other in different ways so planning and strategy are your best friends.

Card Dungeon is a board game in digital format. Explore the numerous dungeons, slay the monsters, collect the loot.

2.jpg
1.jpg

Mask

Five Nights at Freddy's got a stealth release on the App Store in the last few days.

£1.99. Not sure about US price.

Has the same problems as the Android version though, reduced effects, some missing sound effects and laggy jump scares.

PFD

I nominate Cursed Treasure 2 for the OP. It's pretty much the best TD game not named Kingdom Rush imo.

I really like the time features (next wave and 3x time toggle), as it's so satisfying to watch the game unfold once you have a strategy down. Solving the maps is like a puzzle. You have to carefully choose whether to build towers, or capture buildings, or cut trees. And using the scrolls that drop from the creeps at the right time adds another layer of strategy.

The game has implemented IAPs in a similar way to KR. You can buy extra help like gold or mana during a match, but the game is perfectly balanced without them. I finished all the levels without using a single power up.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Speaking of games recommended in the OT of these threads, does anyone have any impressions of Talisman? I have Talisman Prologue and it's enjoyable, is the full version worth getting over that?

SuperPac

Sadly it looks like nothing interesting is coming out tonight..just checked TA. That's a bummer

What? B-b-but, Adventure Xpress is out tonight! (Yes, it's a match-3 RPG and there are loads of those blahblahblah but this one is really good I can tell you in my totally nonbiased and objective opinion)......... I'm the producer for this title on the Adult Swim side. ;)

But seriously, having played a lot of match-3 RPGs, if you've got the stomach for one more, this one's really fun - much kudos to PikPok for nailing it. :D

okno

Five Nights at Freddy's got a stealth release on the App Store in the last few days.

Has the same problems as the Android version though, reduced effects, some missing sound effects and laggy jump scares.

It's been up for about two weeks, actually :p Bought it the night it came out due to hearing people freaking out about its release. Not my thing. I don't find the game to be very scary at all, but it's interesting. I haven't been able to survive all five nights, but I also just stopped caring about the game pretty quickly.

awp69

It's actually been out for a few week and is $2.99 USD.

I haven't played the PC version so don't have it to compare to, but the game still is pretty freaky and no lag on the jump scares on my 5S. I don't often catch much activity on the cameras though so not sure If that's an issue or just me not checking the right time and right place. Most of the time I know something is coming due to cameras going dark.

As for this week's releases, only Adventure Xpress and Inferno 2 (if it gets approved) have my current interest.

SteveWD40

No mention of Card Dungeon there. Been playing it for a few weeks and it's really good. A mix of roguelike, board game, and card game, with an interesting art style
http://card-dungeon.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPnTKv5XEjw

Not only is that clearly "inspired" by the upcoming port of Card Hunters, but they have essentially nicked the art style as far as I can see.

Speaking of games recommended in the OT of these threads, does anyone have any impressions of Talisman? I have Talisman Prologue and it's enjoyable, is the full version worth getting over that?

I think it is for the expansions and MP alone.

Nyx

I nominate Cursed Treasure 2 for the OP. It's pretty much the best TD game not named Kingdom Rush imo.

Agreed, it's really really good so far.

Not only is that clearly "inspired" by the upcoming port of Card Hunters, but they have essentially nicked the art style as far as I can see.

I think it is for the expansions and MP alone.
Yeah the art style is similar. Pocket Tactics wrote this about the gameplay
There’s some substantial differences under that similar surface aesthetic: in Card Dungeon you control one character, not a party. It’s also a straight-up premium game that you pay for once and play to your heart’s content. There’s also that roguelike bit I mentioned earlier. “We also have corpse runs as a major feature,” says Skarstedt. “If you die during a run a grave marker will be placed at that location. If you make it back to your where you died, you gain all of your cards and money back that you were using the last run. If you don’t make it and perish again a new grave marker will be placed at the new location.”

Minsc

Gold Member
Premium app? no IAP? sold.

Don't let the free with IAP format of Card Hunter fool you though, it's going to be among the top 3 strategy rpg games on release, whenever that is. Here's RPS's review of "paragraphs of praise for one of the finest games of the year."

So people expecting something at the level of Card Hunter which it resembles will probably be quite disappointed... that's not to say it may be a good game in its own right, but next to Card Hunter... not so much.

SteveWD40

Don't let the free with IAP format of Card Hunter fool you though, it's going to be among the top 3 strategy rpg games on release, whenever that is. Here's RPS's review of "paragraphs of praise for one of the finest games of the year."

So people expecting something at the level of Card Hunter which it resembles will probably be quite disappointed... that's not to say it may be a good game in its own right, but next to Card Hunter... not so much.

I played the card Hunter beta so I agree actually, I am just a little bored of waiting for it and try to support premium apps where I can as I like the model and don't want it to go away.

PittaGAF

As far as I know Card Dungeon and Card Hunters a really different titles...they only share the 'card' thing as already pointed out.

I'm undecided what to get tonight....Card Dungeon, Galaxy Trucker or/and I'm a brave knight.

Wallach

As far as I know Card Dungeon and Card Hunters a really different titles...they only share the 'card' thing as already pointed out.

I'm undecided what to get tonight....Card Dungeon, Galaxy Trucker or/and I'm a brave knight.

Galaxy Trucker is one of the most fun board games I've ever played. I already bought the game and I don't even have an iPad yet. From what I've read today they have done a fantastic job converting it to the format. I worry about losing a little of the social aspect - one of the things this game does so much better than most board games I've tried - I'm hoping maybe playing with some other GAFers and being able to talk about games here will fill in for that a bit. Plus with the system they came up with for turn-based ship-building, it'll also be a pretty cool way to play it on a whim with someone else without needing setup. That alone really makes me want this something fierce. Being able to play a game of Galaxy Trucker with someone on a trip or something just by having your iPad on hand sounds really damn cool (though I hope it doesn't make ship-building too easy because jank ships are one of the reasons the game is often so entertaining).

That it is only five bucks is crazy to me, even without the expansions included yet.

chris121580

What? B-b-but, Adventure Xpress is out tonight! (Yes, it's a match-3 RPG and there are loads of those blahblahblah but this one is really good I can tell you in my totally nonbiased and objective opinion)......... I'm the producer for this title on the Adult Swim side. ;)

But seriously, having played a lot of match-3 RPGs, if you've got the stomach for one more, this one's really fun - much kudos to PikPok for nailing it. :D

Honestly, the timers are a big turn off for me. If you would allow me to pay for your game out right, I'd be happy to support it. The F2P model is just frustrating to me. I will probably give it a try anyways with that being said. I love the art style

The Angry Birds domination continues. Not content with merely doing games based off movie licenses, Rovio now plans to take over the movie industry itself

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Angry+Birds/news.asp?c=61807
Jason Sudeikis (Horrible Bosses, last year’s comedy hit We're the Millers) will lead the cast as Red, a bird with a temper problem. Josh Gad, in his first animated role since the global smash hit Frozen, plays speedy Chuck, and Danny McBride (This is the End, Eastbound & Down) portrays the volatile Bomb. Bill Hader (Saturday Night Live, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) has joined the pork side, Maya Rudolph (Bridesmaids, The Maya Rudolph Show) will play Matilda, and Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones, X-Men: Days of Future Past) will play the legendary Mighty Eagle.

Coming out July 1, 2016

angg.jpg

Matt Frost

I am really liking it so far. Close to loving it. Its all I wanted another similar recently released game to be.

Its a match fighter, or a match fighting game. You match to attack, any match that matches attacks (you can also move separate pieces without making a match, and as you battle you also fill the bags containing magic spells, to attack ;D (not required but fun). There is a big variety of spells to be unlocked (as you level up, can also buy them early*) and they seems pretty diverse (heal, stun, critic, ....). Also, as you level up, you unlock different weapons and types of armor. You get different bags of coins depending on how good you performed in each mission, depending also in how many characters you have to fight with in each level, with plenty of boss fights in between. Boss fights are the most fun, since they are challenging and they also have special abilities to use upon you. The matching itself is also a lot of fun with lots of explosions... and who doesnt like that?

The animations and sound are superb, crisp and well detailed. Nice characters and tiny bits of humor.

IAP is another thing I really like about this game: No timers and only one currency to buy (If I buy IAP does that removes the ads?). I can add PikPok to the same list as Sony now I guess...

For free, there isn't any barrier between the player and this game and I urge anyone who reads this to try it. Excellent match fighting game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Honestly, the timers are a big turn off for me

No timers and only one currency to buy (If I buy IAP does that removes the ads?). I can add PikPok to the same list as Sony now I guess...

For free, there isn't any barrier between the player and this game and I urge anyone who reads this to try it. Excellent match fighting game.

That seems a little conflicting... though I suppose timers bother me less than most people. Just have another game to go to, and they generally become irrelevant anyway. But it does sound like there are none?

I had no idea Castaway Paradise has a release date. I feel like I've been waiting for that game forever. :-D

Hope it turns out to be good! Or at least promising enough to follow for future updates.

RM8

Cursed Treasure 2 looks great and it'll get my money, yes.
---

Guys, I'm in a SRPG kick and I can't believe there's -nothing- on iOS (or PC!) short of FFT and Shining Force. Any suggestions? I found Ravenmark pretty terrible :(

Adventure Xpress is really enjoyable. Charming visuals and presentation, and the match 3 gameplay has a nice strategic turn based-combat vibe to it. Gets tricky once the grid becomes more constricted with barriers and locked tiles. I'd recommend checking it out

---

Guys, I'm in a SRPG kick and I can't believe there's -nothing- on iOS (or PC!) short of FFT and Shining Force. Any suggestions? I found Ravenmark pretty terrible :(
What's SRPG stand for? Strategy RPG? I'll see if I know of any

SuperPac

Honestly, the timers are a big turn off for me. If you would allow me to pay for your game out right, I'd be happy to support it. The F2P model is just frustrating to me. I will probably give it a try anyways with that being said. I love the art style

There are not "timers" in Adventure Xpress in the way there are timers in other F2P games to deliver you items or to fully wall you off from playing. If you die 3 times in quick succession, you will see a timer for refilling life potions but those replenish quickly (30 mins) and you can skip it by watching a 30-second ad or using currency that can be earned in-game.

But again, you have to die 3x and there's plenty you can do to prevent that. :D

I understand that timers are a turn-off, but I'm going to be surprised if most players have a huge problem with the way they're implemented here.

RM8

What's SRPG stand for? Strategy RPG? I'll see if I know of any
Yup! I'm re-playing Fire Emblem: Awakening and I was looking for something similar on my phone. It's weird that there aren't any obvious clones, it's a genre that would work great on mobile.

flowsnake

---

Tactics Maiden looks promising.

Yup! I'm re-playing Fire Emblem: Awakening and I was looking for something similar on my phone. It's weird that there aren't any obvious clones, it's a genre that would work great on mobile.
Have you seen Tactics Maiden?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tactics-maiden/id894166968

I'd say Phantom Rift has some strategic depth in choosing what skills work well together, timing your attacks, controlling the grid, buffing your stats through magic and gear, etc. But it might not be what you're looking for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom