• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread April 2013: Now with GAF Gold IAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to throw out a recommendation for Sonic Jump. I'm a huge Sonic fan, and this is a great use of the character in a non-run fast type of game. Only 0.99 too.

I would love this art style, in a 2D endless runner.
That's what many thought Sonic Dash would be

Shady859

Grabbed that Solitaire vs Blackjack thanks for the tip and good luck with your game!

I only got 30 coins for my 316 in Nimble Quest during the last contest. What a rip off! Haha only got 269 this morning using those coins. Need to grind some more coins and throw up another fatty. I like to play with all the 4 power ups and a couple extra guys from the start. Or just play 1 single with no power ups.

Oh yea and it may have been mentioned but I don't recall much talk of Scribble Hero going free for the first time since it came out. It's a twin stick shooter type game with a fun twist by nickelodeon.
http://appshopper.com/games/scribble-hero

ROTB_shot1.jpg

I'm shocked nobody is talking about Rise of the Blobs. Sure, on the surface it looks like a cutsie match-3 reserved for children, but that's just to get you to lower your defenses. Once you've dismissed the game, that's when it steps on your face. This plays like a puzzle game from before some marketing firm invented the label "casual," back when puzzle games required intense mental focus lest you let the game liquefy your mind.

Basically, you're a little marshmallow dude that's trying to get rid of multi-coloured blocks on a 3D pole. That means you need to rotate the pole around to ensure the blocks don't overtake you. And you also have to manually trigger the explosion of blocks, leading to some deep-ass combos. Also, every time you think you've got the hang of the game, it throws you a new mode that tweaks the mechanics just enough to ensure you don't go lipping off about how your a Blobs Master.

The game is free, apparently. And no, the IAP doesn't get in the way. You can pay money to unlock modes immediately or buy one-time powerups, but your mind is stronger than that.

http://appshopper.com/games/rise-of-the-blobs

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yes. I have developed console games for a decade so when I started development of this app, Free to Play wasn't really a thing yet in the App Store so I wanted to make a premium game at $5 and then port it to live arcade, wii, and psn. Basically I was used to making complete games and not doing any types of micro-transactions. After I left inXile, the market changed and 70% of purchased came from Free to Play Apps. I stuck to my guns, but noone was really purchasing the game until I made it free. From there I decided to add some more content, and would then come up with a collectable card game add-on to the game that still allows people to play without in app purchase, but offers additional things to collect and change the gameplay experience.

In the end, I probably should have adjusted the whole game earlier if it were moving over to the free market, but I looked down on facebook games and the like and it caused me to make some poor business decisions in how I'd market the game. Now that I think I have an idea on how to get people to discover the game, and have a way of having them purchase things without resorting to "energy, referrals" or other skinner box techniques, I think I can keep the integrity of the game while supporting the costs of my employees that I hired.

Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting. Good luck on your game!

nimbus

Banned
Not really. You can force your music to play temporarily by double tapping the home button and clicking play, but the game music will be back once the track changes (menu switch, catch a fish, etc.)

I have this same problem with super hexagon. There's no way to mute the damn thing and play my own music.

This usually happens with the indie, headphones recommended types. I get that you're proud of the atmospheric chiptune music you composed/commissioned for the game, shit sounds good, but let me listen to my own albums or podcasts.

ROTB_shot1.jpg

I'm shocked nobody is talking about Rise of the Blobs. Sure, on the surface it looks like a cutsie match-3 reserved for children, but that's just to get you to lower your defenses. Once you've dismissed the game, that's when it steps on your face. This plays like a puzzle game from before some marketing firm invented the label "casual," back when puzzle games required intense mental focus lest you let the game liquefy your mind.

Basically, you're a little marshmallow dude that's trying to get rid of multi-coloured blocks on a 3D pole. That means you need to rotate the pole around to ensure the blocks don't overtake you. And you also have to manually trigger the explosion of blocks, leading to some deep-ass combos. Also, every time you think you've got the hang of the game, it throws you a new mode that tweaks the mechanics just enough to ensure you don't go lipping off about how your a Blobs Master.

The game is free, apparently. And no, the IAP doesn't get in the way. You can pay money to unlock modes immediately or buy one-time powerups, but your mind is stronger than that.

http://appshopper.com/games/rise-of-the-blobs

Great recommendation! I'm hooked

ToxicAdam

Skylander Cloud Patrol is free from march 28th till april 10th. Has anyone tried it?

My kids play it. The best way I can describe it, is it's kind of like Fruit Ninja with power-ups and collectables.

It's worth trying, but didn't really have a lot of replayability to it.

gazele

Banned
What's the developer's track record? Why is everyone assuming that it's gonna be mind-blowing?

They don't really have one as far as I can tell.

I don't think anyone is assuming it'll be great, its a great idea, but we have no idea if they can execute on it.

It was announced over 2 years ago, which is forever in mobile games, and its had 2 kickstarters

Solitaire vs Blackjack is a lot of fun! Just wish there were more of it, because it really is addictive (I've only played the Run 21 portion so far, there is a Marathon mode that might scratch the itch).

I've had it crash on me a couple times, seems there are a few bugs that might need fixing. Other than that, it's incredibly addictive and fun. Good Job!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So this came out yesterday

I can't vouch for how it controls yet though, the port developer has been pretty earnest in videos about getting it right so let's hope. (if it turns out to be shit I'll burn it's entry in the OP with nuclear fire.)

Also, Zen Pinball finally updated to support 4" iPhone 5 resolution, woop!

Heel

Looks to be a pretty good week for iOS. BADLAND ($3.99), The Other Brothers ($0.99) and who knows what else tonight.

Minsc

Gold Member
Also, Pinball Arcade finally updated to support 4" iPhone 5 resolution, woop!

You mean Zen Pinball, and yes, it's about time. Though I think starting in one month, Apple will no longer approve new apps (or updates) if they don't natively support iPhone 5's resolution and/or iPad retina resolution where applicable.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You mean Zen Pinball, and yes, it's about time. Though I think starting in one month, Apple will no longer approve new apps (or updates) if they don't natively support iPhone 5's resolution and/or iPad retina resolution where applicable.

Woops, yeah. I don't know why I keep mixing up the name. :D

Just noticed that Lumi is free now, both the iPhone and iPad versions.
mzl.orfdwhez.320x480-75.jpg

Don't know the game personally but I remember it being written about in month's past, it was also featured by Apple I believe.

http://appshopper.com/games/lumi-for-iphone-ipod-touch
http://appshopper.com/games/lumi-hd-2

-----------

http://toucharcade.com/2013/04/02/battle-dungeon-returns-to-the-app-store-in-single-player-form/

I remember reading about Battle Dungeon when the game's multiplayer servers were overrun by pirated copies and they had to shut it down.. I feel inclined to include it in the OP just for this reason alone.

It was re-released 29th March and looks to be a competent TBA title. Anyone have any impressions?

mzl.qgfdtqlr.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.wfpbfwom.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.quboepwo.320x480-75.jpg

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUfeW-AXg8g

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id584488562?mt=8

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Out in NZ now, a few hours until it reaches elsewhere.

Haven't sniffed out BADLAND's iTunes link yet so I'll be adding that one tomorrow.

NeonGames_Kevin

Neo Member
Solitaire vs Blackjack is a lot of fun! Just wish there were more of it, because it really is addictive (I've only played the Run 21 portion so far, there is a Marathon mode that might scratch the itch).

I've had it crash on me a couple times, seems there are a few bugs that might need fixing. Other than that, it's incredibly addictive and fun. Good Job!

I'm thinking there may be a memory leak I didn't catch in the final production build as it seems to happen here too if I play more than 10 levels. I'll definitely fix that in the next patch, we've usually been pretty stable on our builds.

Would you want more Run21 levels, or more game modes ( Or both, just which one more )? Currently I'm working on two additional game modes as Run21's difficulty and game length get kinda tough in the diamond room, but I may add another room of three levels if people want more Run21 related content. I scaled the difficulty down from the beta version where the game was a bit more difficult, I could always bring back some of those levels that tested as too hard and put them in a bonus room if people want more of a challenge.

Thanks for the download / feedback, it's really helpful to get other's people opinions. When you work on your own project for so long, you lose touch with what the players actually want!

There is a game coming out tonight called Slayin' for $.99 that is pretty fun. It's a simple 2D game that originally came out a year or two ago and the developer ported it to iOS. You can play the original version for free at the link below. He use to have a Flash version but now it is just a downloadable executable for PC.

http://www.pixellicker.com/games.html

Edit: The Flash version may still be there but I'm on my iPad so I don't know.

"niconico Music Pack 1" is now available on Groove Coaster Zero. Like the one that showed up for jubeat plus a while back, this is pretty much all Vocaloid songs: this one has Senbonzakura, Uraomote Lovers, Panda Hero, and magnet.

Looks like two more packs are in the pipeline, though this announcement only appears if you connect to the store from a Japanese IP.

I'm going to do a quick stream in a minute for those who want to preview this and all the other stuff that has come out for the game recently (though most of what I purchased is behind an IP lock): http://www.twitch.tv/starcreator/

EDIT: Finished streaming for now. The stream was split into two parts because the audio was incredibly desynced at first; here's the second part if you missed it and want to see some gameplay: http://www.twitch.tv/starcreator/b/386278093

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Out in NZ now, a few hours until it reaches elsewhere.

Haven't sniffed out BADLAND's iTunes link yet so I'll be adding that one tomorrow.
Totally forgot about this, nice to see it managed to see a release. I wasn't aware it even needed a kickstarter at one point.

Fjordson

Wow, episode one of Fester Mudd is 99 cents?? Crazy cheap compared to the PC version. Had a friend play it and say it's a pretty nice little western point & click. Definitely grabbing that.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
They really need to made the dpad stick, at least on the horizontal axis, can't turn around properly with it as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom