• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread March 2013: It's $1 per post, $5 for 8 posts or $10 for 20 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
They want to give you less Flooz so you give them more money.

In unrelated news, I tried Sonic Dash since it's free. I played one game, and when I died it asked me to pay to revive myself, so I calmly pressed the "home" button and deleted the app.

And there was no mass complaining at Toucharcade forums or elsewhere? Seems like a crappy thing to do and I won't be buying anymore.

And there was no mass complaining at Toucharcade forums or elsewhere? Seems like a crappy thing to do and I won't be buying anymore.

Of course there was. It nearly got much worse, there was an update which never made it to iOS which removed almost all of the ways to earn free Flooz, as well as increasing the cost of everything by 1.5x. That update was dropped pretty much due to TA.

Of course there was. It nearly got much worse, there was an update which never made it to iOS which removed almost all of the ways to earn free Flooz, as well as increasing the cost of everything by 1.5x. That update was dropped pretty much due to TA.

That's crazy. Greed really got to the developers, I guess.

That's crazy. Greed really got to the developers, I guess.

Dunno, it's hard to say. It could have been that they found themselves in a Punch Quest kind of situation, where they had TONS of players but the game was too generous and they were making no money at all.

Under those circumstances, the changes would have been fair enough, probably. Of course, without ever revealing figures about IAPs or anything, one can only realistically assume greed, yeah.

Dunno, it's hard to say. It could have been that they found themselves in a Punch Quest kind of situation, where they had TONS of players but the game was too generous and they were making no money at all.

Under those circumstances, the changes would have been fair enough, probably. Of course, without ever revealing figures about IAPs or anything, one can only realistically assume greed, yeah.

Oh, I didn't even think of it like that. The game did seem pretty generous with currency when it came out and even awhile after that. $20 would get an insane amount of Flooz.

Goli

While looking at Sonic Dash, I noticed Sonic 4 Ep II is .99. I'll bite on that! (It's probably horrible too, right?)

Yes, it's terrible. Please do yourself a favor and do not buy it.

Also, has anyone here played the iOS versions of Phantasy Star II and Shining Force? Thinking of buying them...

Yes, it's terrible. Please do yourself a favor and do not buy it.

Also, has anyone here played the iOS versions of Phantasy Star II and Shining Force? Thinking of buying them...

Straight emulation jobs with a virtual pad stuck on top. I'd struggle to recommend them.

Just for your information, yesterday (or 2 days ago, cant' remember) I joined the NeoGAF guild and tried the Arena.
Now I open the game, and NimbleQuest warns me NeoGAF guild was 6 in the world and I was second in the guild, and they gifted me 60 (!!!!) tokens.

Much appreciated :p

I wasn't aware about these 'arena events'....but I like this A LOT.
Basically, if I understood well...the single player is for leveling up your chars and then join the fray in the Arena.

Pretty cool.

How do I join the guild?

PittaGAF

As soon as you unlock 8-9 characters in NimbleQuest it becomes fantastic :)
At higher levels, like the deep dungeons (the one with fire) it's a struggle between trying to amass as much as gems as possible, and avoiding enemies hitting your party.
Depending on the order of the chars, strategies vary a lot.
I'm really digging it.

PFD

Came here to post this. Gonna get Dungeon Plunder, heard it was great fun.

So I've played Dungeon Plunder for about 3 hours so far. It's a fantastic rogue-like. And I much prefer its slot machine combat to King cashing's, as you seem to have more control here.

I'm still getting my ass kicked hard though. I think the farthest I've been was level 5 so far.

PittaGAF

If anyone is interested I bought Shifts today and I pratically played it no stop all day (I'm sick too).
Really an unexpected gem, if you are curious or have any questions, ask away!
It's a strange mix between a roguelike and Elder Signs Omens, set in a sci fi world boardgame.
You have to guide your ship full of (decaying) human DNA to find 4 planets suitable for colonizing in a huge random galaxy.
Meanwhile, the ship fall apart with all sort of problems and you have to assign your crew accordingly.
After getting confortable with normal mode, where now I can almost always win, I'm now trying to save mankind in hard mode, which is one of the most tense experience I had recently (considering the game lacks any animation whatsoever, it's quite an achievement).
I wish they used different scifi movies style sounds for the various events but I'm really digging it.

http://appshopper.com/games/shifts

RedAssedApe

Banned
So I noticed that Back to the Future got updated with a ton of stuff (universal, retina, single app instead of 5). I noticed this though:

★★★★PLEASE NOTE the release of this new universal base app will replace Episodes 2-5 apps of Back to the Future: The Game, which will no longer be available for direct download on the App Store. Ownership of these episodes cannot be transferred to the universal app, so if these episodes were not backed up to the iCloud or kept on the device, they can no longer be acquired without purchasing individual episodes or the Episodes 2-5 multi-pack. Ownership of Episode 1 will transfer to ownership of the new universal base app.★★★★

wtf...luckily I didn't delete those separate apps for episodes 2-5 (running out of space)! I also noticed there were no app updates for the old eps 2-5. Does this mean the performance improvement, retina, high resolution assets, and frame rate improvements aren't applicable.

(Game is in my backlog and haven't started episode 1 yet due to the previously existing performance issues).

Gotta say I really enjoyed Beastie Bay from Kairosoft. There's a lot to it. I must have put in about 8 or so hours altogether. I took the free version but unlike their usual games, this one (of course) has microtransactions. You can unlock the full game, but other than no ads and being able to play it in horizontal mode, I'm not sure if they are more generous with the gold coins. Which holds the game back somewhat unless you want to grind A LOT. You can buy them of course for ridiculous amounts of real money. But that's not an option for me and much prefer the structure of their past games. Buy once and do the rest yourself.

SeanR1221

I was just about to post about it too. Tell us about your strategy.

My favorite is the demon. I've maxed him out. I like to run circles around guys but not take them head on. I also like to play aggressively. It's easy to start losing characters if you just circle the middle, plus you'll miss power ups this way.

Shady859

Nimblebit is amazing, they release nothing but crack addict style games. They've had me since Tiny Tower although I did get bored with the Pocket Planes after a few weeks. Glad this one is addicting in a just one more or beat a high score kinda way and not time sucking...

221 on Neogaf guild arena was good enough for #2 earlier but it's updating now and can't see it. I think the best character is the bomb guy and I have unlocked all through the demon so far. I am grinding now to 3 star the bomber. Seems like whenever he would go down things would always get alot harder for me and I'd immediately miss him.

Edit: also don't forget today is the last day for free The Walkimg Dead: Assault. http://go.ign.com/freewalkingdead

Edit 2:

I want to play Kingdom Rush HD any idea when it will go on sale?

That game is soooooooooooo good, don't wait to play it buy now and enjoy the magic.

Nimble quest sucks, sorry guys :( just dislike it after trying all night to feel something good about it. I will say it's a nice take on the snake gameplay but compared to their other games this one feels rough.

Sonic Dash is free and it sucks.

It is an extremely poor mans endless runner, you can revive yourself too easily to bret records and the latest update removed a fair bit of challenge from the obstacles for the first few minutes of a run.

4/10 if it did not have sonic in it people would drop it like dung.

Minsc

Gold Member
That game is soooooooooooo good, don't wait to play it buy now and enjoy the magic.

Yes, it's got a ton of content as well. I'd say a good 20 hours to finish everything, beating all the extra challenges and bonus stages all on hard.

Edit: Was a bit excessive earlier, but there's around 20 stages, with the first 4 or 5 being quick and the last 10 being pretty long - each stage having 3 modes which are a good 10-15 minutes long per mode in the second half of the game, and a 4th mode if you beat them on normal then step up to hard later on, so around 1 hour per stage later for the second half of the game and 30 minutes average per stage for the first half, plus all the restarts when your strategy fails. I'd say 20 hours is an accurate and fair length.

Shady859

Challenge issued!
and spanked!

Oh no he didn't!!! ;) (#9 in world as well)

On iPad mini, whenever I have a alot of characters on screen and say I hit the magnet or bomb while treasure chests loot drop is on the screen I get a noticeable freeze/skip. Y'all getting that on newer iPads as well? Also I'd hate to try this on a iPhone so much going on on that little screen. Prolly destroy my 4 when it skips.

SeanR1221

Challenge issued!

Oh no he didn't!!! ;) (#9 in world as well)

On iPad mini, whenever I have a alot of characters on screen and say I hit the magnet or bomb while treasure chests loot drop is on the screen I get a noticeable freeze/skip. Y'all getting that on newer iPads as well? Also I'd hate to try this on a iPhone so much going on on that little screen. Prolly destroy my 4 when it skips.

Just got 252 ;)

PittaGAF

NimbleQuest GAFfers, to arms!!!!

As a guild we are in 10 position now, but 10-4 are really close so we can overtake them and gain precious tokens!
Just 15 hours left!
3-1 positions are a bit out of reach for now (Toucharcade, Nimblebit and another guild I can't remember).
Seriously addicted to the game....I'm trying now to max out and use as a leader Gizmo and Arcane with some success.
Hands down the best Nimblebit game for me, waaaaay better than Tiny Towers IMHO.
In Deep Dungeon, with 9 chars all buffed up at double speed it is incredibly frantic.

I HATE those fire bats in queue with those damn regenerating princesses.

"Basically the same as the last thread, but with more obtrusive IAPs"

Nice! Maybe a shorter version, like "now with more obstrusive IAPs" :)

On an unrelated note, why did I wait so long to buy super hexagon? This thing is brilliant, in a murderous, enraging, exacerbating way. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom