• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread March 2013: It's $1 per post, $5 for 8 posts or $10 for 20 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFD

-Reviews:

"Hey this is actually pretty cool!" -Dash Kappei on some gaming message board

"I've got the game already" - Internet Superstar Mr.Wario64 on Twitter
"...it's fun tho" - Internet Superstar Mr.Wario64 on Twitter

"I can't stop playing Twang!" -NeoGAFfer @cyport on Twitter

"This app didn't crash on startup -5/5" -Touchy Arcade

lol these are hilarious!

Megasoum

Banned
Nooo the IGN App Store Updates are missing from the youtube playlist again! I just found two videos I missed on the website. Justin, you're making it difficult to find them!

svegis

So Fish out of Water is coming out tomorrow right?

Mister, where do you see that? All I see is that it's "surfacing soon" and "coming soon".
You must have some insider source. For what it's worth, game looks fun, reminds me of Burrito Bison in a way.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fantastic. Now lets hope EA doesn't fuck this up too. If this is some freemium IAP laden crap I will be pissed.

cPKNZrx.jpg

Like Plants vs Zombies Adventures?

HBP

Nimble Quest kind of sucks, I think. Not digging it

I can see that, I think it's fun but pretty disappointing compared to how much I normally get into the Nimblebit games, I got an early code last Saturday and haven't played too much of it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I can see that, I think it's fun but pretty disappointing compared to how much I normally get into the Nimblebit games, I got an early code last Saturday and haven't played too much of it.

I was shocked that it was basically just spin on 'Snake'. I haven't been following the game outside of screenshots. I dont understand the whole F2P aspect (pay a coin to restart a level? huh?)

PFD

I was shocked that it was basically just spin on 'Snake'. I haven't been following the game outside of screenshots. I dont understand the whole F2P aspect (pay a coin to restart a level? huh?)

They had to somehow jam IAPs into the game. It's Nimblebit afterall.

I believe Anandtech's analysis of a potential retina mini explains it best:

Source

Now if Apple manages to utilize IGZO panels in their devices this year (as was indicated by rumors) they might be able to build a retina mini without sacrificing size and weight. But if they succeed, how would they differentiate the "iPad with Retina Display" (aka regular iPad)? It would be hard to market it against the mini which would have the same display quality for $170 cheaper.
I'm totally cool with the current iPad mini screen in terms if resolution (especially if going retina meant a sacrifice on battery life and thickness/weight). However there are some things that Apple can do to improve the screen in terms of color reproduction, laminating the screen to the glass to reduce glare and reflections, etc.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Nooo the IGN App Store Updates are missing from the youtube playlist again! I just found two videos I missed on the website. Justin, you're making it difficult to find them!

Sorry. I don't have any control over the YT playlists. Videos have to be playlisted by hand, and it's a process. Upload the clip. Publish the clip on IGN. Syndicate the clip to Youtube. Publish the clip on Youtube. Playlist the clip on Youtube. Sometimes the video people miss clips.

I've asked them to keep the ASU playlist up to date since some folks use it.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
so nimblebit another miss? 2 strikes then (well I had my fun with pocket plane but it's flawed in design).

I enjoyed Pocket Planes for a while, but how the ranking system worked and the fact that you really had to build specific direct routes to have any sort of efficiency, rather than just being able to build what you want really put me off pretty quickly. Still, I'm willing to give Nimble Quest a chance even if if does just look like a fancied up Snake, consideing how much I've played Tiny Tower(196 floors and counting...).

Any opinions yet about Magicka or Dungeon Hearts? Seems like one of the best weeks in a while if those turn out to be good.

Flunkie

Banned
I know it's how the old snake works, but it annoys the shit out of me that you can't just reverse direction in Nimble Quest. Makes no sense with the swipe-based control set.

Oh plus it's boring.

Heel

Nimble Quest gets to be pretty fun once you've reached the courtyard and beyond. By then I'd gotten used to the controls and the pace had picked up.

I'd say wait until you've reached that point before you cast judgement.

Made #NeoGAF for the Arena.

Manax

Huge pixel people update for those who are still playing 60 new jobs and some mission things.

Harder to rack up free utopium now as a surprise costs 4million rather than 2 million. Suuuuuuucks

Still gonna "play" the crap out of it

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I know it's how the old snake works, but it annoys the shit out of me that you can't just reverse direction in Nimble Quest. Makes no sense with the swipe-based control set.

Oh plus it's boring.

The swipe controls doesnt even seem accurate. Don't see what the big deal is with this game. Sorry Nimble

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've been tied to my iPhone for a little while so I haven't looked up new released/OP updates. If there are any out there in the last few days that you think deserves a spot please let me know. Same goes if there are any games in the OP that you think shouldn't be there for so and so reasons. :)

PittaGAF

Nimble Quest gets to be pretty fun once you've reached the courtyard and beyond. By then I'd gotten used to the controls and the pace had picked up.

I'd say wait until you've reached that point before you cast judgement.

Made #NeoGAF for the Arena.

I was about to post the same!!!
And thanks for setting up the NeoGAF arena, I'll get in as soon as possibile.

I always liked snake or tron games, and I must say that Nimblequest is, so far, really awesome (and for me, the best Nimblebit so far, never really liked the other ones).
I'm having sooooo much fun with it.
As soon as you arrive at the castle and start to seriously upgrade your characters, it's damn fun and the 'just one more try' factor is totally there.
To me at last.
Just unlocked the Arcane mage character :p

I wish there were some bosses too, they could be cool.

The token thing is sometimes a bummer...(you really want to continue your last stage with those perfect placed 7 characters in the queque)...I even resorted to watch some videos to get free tokens and be able to continue.

So far I'm really enjoying it, can't wait to try the arena thing.

BTW....which is the preferred leader for you?
I'm using the warrior or the archer (both leveled up).
Tried the mage or the chavalier but I had hard time in early stages.

EDIT:just tried the arena...whoa, it's really frantic!!!

Heel

The swipe controls doesnt even seem accurate. Don't see what the big deal is with this game. Sorry Nimble

No problems for me on iPad 3. Just a quick flick. You barely have to touch the screen.

BTW....which is the preferred leader for you?
I'm using the warrior or the archer (both leveled up).
Tried the mage or the chavalier but I had hard time in early stages.

I'm using the bald bomber guy with one star (25% upgraded bomb radius, I think?). I like that he rarely misses and can hit a whole group with one shot at an angle + from a decent distance.

Managed to do a 245 kill + 1,148 gem run last night before I called it quits. Fun stuff!

Also not feeling Nimble Quest. On top of it being just a pretty dull game, it seems kinda janky. Collision detection is all over the place, and about 90% of my deaths have come from being near contact rather than any actual contact itself.

It's pretty horribly slow all round, the gameplay, earning coins/gems, the levelling, everything, and it doesn't really have the gameplay to make me want to suffer through it because what are you even actually doing? In Snake the game gets more difficult because you're getting longer, so success requires you to constantly alter your strategy. In this you can just circle around the arena forever and do pretty well with no effort whatsoever.

Kinda worried we'll never get another good Nimblebit game at this point.

Vire

NimbleQuest kinda sucks actually...

I'm a little surprised about it to be honest. I really enjoyed Tiny Tower and maybe a little bit to a lesser extent with Pocket Planes but Nimblequest is garbage...

:/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom