• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread March 2013: It's $1 per post, $5 for 8 posts or $10 for 20 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicerone

Shin Megami Tensei if...
https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/id619537577?mt=8
mzl.alxmwyry.320x480-75.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Looks interesting but as mentioned in the App Store reviews, interface looks rough..
How so? Previous versions played simply and great (on PC at least).

Not sure how switching clicks for taps changes much.

Although it may be too small on iPhone.

Sye d'Burns

How so? Previous versions played simply and great (on PC at least).

Not sure how switching clicks for taps changes much.

Although it may be too small on iPhone.

Maybe that's why he included the caveat:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mysterious-castle/id465647954?mt=8 said:
*RECOMMENDED FOR iPad 2 OR HIGHER*
*iPhone/iPod touch SUPPORT IS FOR HISTORICAL REASONS ONLY*

Roguelike redefined for touchscreens! For iPad 2 or newer. This graphical roguelike pits a party of characters against a procedurally generated world made up of treacherous forests, caves and dungeons! Turn based combat based on (but not limited by) the award winning and ubiquitous SRD 3.5 standard provides endless tactical possibilities, as you go up against parties of Kobolds, Orcs, Undead, Dark Elves, Demons and more! Collect amazing items to wield in battle, study old tomes to increase your skills, and harvest mushrooms to brew into powerful spells. An incredibly refined interface devoid of the clutter so common to roguelikes lets you perform both simple and complex actions with ease. Lighthearted coffee-break combat or meticulous powergaming, the choice is yours. Fast paced, Turn based. Simple interface, Complex possibilities.

Sounds a little iffy on an iPhone, which is pretty disappointing. I love my roguelikes on the go. I'll wait until someone else gives it a go before I get the iOS version.

Maybe that's why he included the caveat:

Sounds a little iffy on an iPhone, which is pretty disappointing. I love my roguelikes on the go. I'll wait until someone else gives it a go before I get the iOS version.

I'm actually having a lot of fun* with inethack on the iphone, which gets around a lot of the issues of being based around a keyboard interface by using a clever sliding menu.

I'd prefer a DCSS version though.

* i.e. died stupidly many times

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Added these to the OP. The Star Wars Pinball table was previously part of Zen's Pinball Arcade app as IAP (where I got it), figured there might be some SW fans interested in this now as it's stand-alone. This version also has proper iPhone 5 support compared to the original release (comes with the Empire Strikes Back table, others are available as IAPs).

Waiting on impressions on Shin Megami Tensei if..., not at all my type of game and the information available on the port is sporadic it seems.

Minsc

Gold Member
Added these to the OP. The Star Wars Pinball table was previously part of Zen's Pinball Arcade app as IAP (where I got it), figured there might be some SW fans interested in this now as it's stand-alone. This version also has proper iPhone 5 support compared to the original release (comes with the Empire Strikes Back table, others are available as IAPs).

Thankfully, starting May 1st, all apps (& updates I hope) will be required to support iPhone 5 resolution (and retina displays), with Zen being one of the biggest culprits for me (it was unplayable on my last iPhone 4 - too choppy, and now it's unplayable on my iPhone 5 as well because of the dead space). So they won't be able to update it anymore until they stop being lazy and implement the proper resolution support.

Heel

Some interesting stuff coming out of PAX East.

Ms. Splosion Man coming out this month?

Tilt to Live 2 this year.

Wizards & Warp Drives from the Organ Trail devs ("Dungeons & Dragons and FTL while turning it into an arcade-style shooter").

muddream

Banned
It's wicked. Played it earlier today :D

iPhone or iPad?

Loving this on iPad. Not so much on iphone - the controls don't work and there are no options for tilt that I have found. The graphics don't work so well for iphone - too small. I know the retro vibe that is being aimed for - it works well on the big screen, but not for the phone.

Looks fun, but this kinda puts me off..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
These Japanese-only Megatens on iOS hurt so much. Looks like they forgot to put the warning in the description for this one like they did with the others.
This is one of the games currently being fan translated by aeon genesis.
Just dropping a quick head´s up here that SMT if...´s text translation is done. Its hacking currently looks identical to SMT2´s, but with added main dialog proportional font. I´d LIKE to clean up the hacking a bit though, and the majority of the text isn´t inserted yet - in fact, I still don´t actually have it. It´s still on Ian´s computer, and he unfortunately got smacked pretty badly by Hurricane Sandy and is currently mostly without internet access. Still no ETA.
Not the iOS version of course...

I played Blockheads for awhile and enjoyed it a lot, but I am tired of waiting for my guy to finish crafting items. I can't queue up hours worth of stuff to do and I don't want to check it every 5 minutes.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Goat Up 2 is fucking amazing! I didn't really like the first one that much since I don't really like endless climbing games, but this one is a lot more of a 'conventional' platformer. It's still fairly bonkers but it's mechanically quite nice and has some really neat platforming ideas. Each level has various cool secrets and it has that perfect Minter charm of hidden depth to the scoring mechanics to keep you going back for a perfect run. Really nice little package.

SteveWD40

Goat Up 2 is fucking amazing! I didn't really like the first one that much since I don't really like endless climbing games, but this one is a lot more of a 'conventional' platformer. It's still fairly bonkers but it's mechanically quite nice and has some really neat platforming ideas. Each level has various cool secrets and it has that perfect Minter charm of hidden depth to the scoring mechanics to keep you going back for a perfect run. Really nice little package.

Sold, I trust your judgment and love me some Minter.

Flunkie

Banned
I played Blockheads for awhile and enjoyed it a lot, but I am tired of waiting for my guy to finish crafting items. I can't queue up hours worth of stuff to do and I don't want to check it every 5 minutes.
Yeah.. I love the controls and everything about Blockheads, except the timers. Although I'm glad that they keep going in the background now, I think it's stupid that whenever you come back he's almost always exhausted. Then you can't do anything without waiting longer because he works so slow until you find something to energize you and that gets annoying fast. The mechanics of the freemium model just don't work well with it. Which is sad, because the game itself is well done and has probably the best controls and mechanics I've seen for a game like this.

I have actually since revisited the actual Micecraft Pocket Edition Lite since exploring all the alternatives and though the iPhone version controls still suck, the iPad controls are pretty okay. My nephew is loving it and ever since I got it he's taken over the iPad. So I bought the PC version. The content is pretty different still between PC and iOS, isn't it? Lots of stuff missing from the iOS version. At least the controls are halfway feasible now. They were a mess a couple months ago/whenever it first launched.

dream

I snagged that He-Man game when it was free and, you know, it's not bad. It's not good either, but it's mostly not bad, and sometimes that's all I really ask for in life.

wrowa

Why do they add long English descriptions to their games if they didn't actually translate the games? Also pretty nice not to mention the lack of English text anywhere. :/

Edit: Or is it? The description actually say "language: English". That's a pretty big and bad mistake if I've ever seen one if the game isn't actually in English.

Edit 2: Also, isn't the screenshot on that page actually from SMT1 or 2? Good job, Index.

HBP

Was able to snag a code to get Nimblequest early, it's pretty fun so far but I'm not sure how long it will take to get boring.

Megasoum

Banned
But how are they gonna shrink 15 gigabytes to 2GB? (App Store restriction). I understand 2GB is compressed, and can be expanded beyond that when installed, but still?

At any rate, can't wait for the game!

Yeah might be tight. They will have to compress the crap out of the FMVs lol. It's also gonna be low res textures only I imagine since the iPad doesn't have the processing power. Still, tight fit.

Flunkie

Banned
Was able to snag a code to get Nimblequest early, it's pretty fun so far but I'm not sure how long it will take to get boring.

Not long, I'm sure. Pocket Planes lasted far shorted than Tiny Tower for me. The web demo was pretty dry imo.

Minsc

Gold Member
But how are they gonna shrink 15 gigabytes to 2GB? (App Store restriction). I understand 2GB is compressed, and can be expanded beyond that when installed, but still?

I'm not 100% sure there's still a hard limit of 2GBs, as TWEWY is 2.36 GBs as an .ipa on my PC. But even if there was no limit, with no expandable memory and mere 16GB iPad models still for sale from apple, it's hard to make anything that's too much larger than 2GBs.

One concession they did make though, is to reduce the number of maps from the PC/consoles, but there were extra maps on PC/consoles, and I think they're claiming gameplay-wise it's a direct port, perhaps you just see repeat maps a lot sooner on iPad than you would on PC.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I keep playing Super Hexagon on Hexagonest, I keep failing after 7.1 seconds. Why can't I stop?

PFD

I'm not 100% sure there's still a hard limit of 2GBs, as TWEWY is 2.36 GBs as an .ipa on my PC. But even if there was no limit, with no expandable memory and mere 16GB iPad models still for sale from apple, it's hard to make anything that's too much larger than 2GBs.

One concession they did make though, is to reduce the number of maps from the PC/consoles, but there were extra maps on PC/consoles, and I think they're claiming gameplay-wise it's a direct port, perhaps you just see repeat maps a lot sooner on iPad than you would on PC.

I noticed that iTunes stores IPAs in their uncompressed (installed) state. For instance, the download size for TWEWY on the App Store is only 656mb.

Will be interesting to see how they shrink XCOM (or hopefully Apple will raise the limit?)

Timeless

How does gifting work on iTunes? If I gift an app to one email address (say, a work email), can they activate the gift on an account not associated with the address (ex. an account they made with their personal email address)?

How does gifting work on iTunes? If I gift an app to one email address (say, a work email), can they activate the gift on an account not associated with the address (ex. an account they made with their personal email address)?

Yes, whichever iTunes account redeems the code will receive the app. It doesn't matter what email address you send the gift to.

Owzers

Jurassic Park Builder is possibly my biggest disappointment so far in a game on ios, it's just a shallow wait-to-pay without any redeeming value.

wilflare

Slamjet Stadium is on sale for 24 hours.. $.99 cents. iPad only, but looks to be a quality game. Anyone try it?

not yet.. but the developer made the awesome Greedy Bankers.
both games are lotsa fun if you are looking for local multiplayer (as in sharing the same physical screen)

Pastry

Banned
I don't know what made me think of this but Capcom really needs to make a Mega Man Battle Network game for iOS. It would be a perfect fit :(

NeoCross

So i just recently grabbed Knights of Pen and Paper and oh man am I hooked. Can't seem to stop playing this gem. I miss RPGs like this that require grinding and just building your party. Any other recommended Rpgs out there that's not a port/final fantasy?

PFD

So i just recently grabbed Knights of Pen and Paper and oh man am I hooked. Can't seem to stop playing this gem. I miss RPGs like this that require grinding and just building your party. Any other recommended Rpgs out there that's not a port/final fantasy?

Cthulhu Saves the World is a port, but is still great, and well worth playing.

Berksy

Just ordered a iPad Mini so i m back at iOS gaming scene after months <3
It will arrive in a few days so can some mini owners tell me ow they feelin with their device?
So many games to catch up...
Is that gameloft MOBA game any good?

colinp

Banned
Just ordered a iPad Mini so i m back at iOS gaming scene after months <3
It will arrive in a few days so can some mini owners tell me ow they feelin with their device?
So many games to catch up...
Is that gameloft MOBA game any good?

I love my mini. Love love love love love. You won't be disappointed, especially after using it for a bit and then seeing how gigantic and heavy the regular iPad is in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom