• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread March 2013: It's $1 per post, $5 for 8 posts or $10 for 20 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Or maybe I actually love my mini and, having gotten used to its weight and size, was genuinely surprised at how heavy and big the regular iPad is.

But I like how big the iPad is. I don't know if I could drop down to a non-retina mini, the big iPad is perfect for my old eyes. It's cool because it doesn't really feel like a handheld device, it's something new. I want a bigger one tbh.

colinp

Banned
But I like how big the iPad is. I don't know if I could drop down to a non-retina mini, the big iPad is perfect for my old eyes. It's cool because it doesn't really feel like a handheld device, it's something new. I want a bigger one tbh.

And that's fine. I'm not arguing whether you should like how big your iPad is. I am simply stating that I love the size of the mini.

Flunkie

Banned
I feel like I would definitely game more on a mini. Regular just feels too big and clunky to sit down with sometimes. Will probably get a retina'd version when they come out. When are they supposed to hit again?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Gaf is never short on hyperbole.

Well, that is true tho, as far as form factor and weight are concerned, the Mini is a world apart from its big brothers. And some folks here might remember how I wasn't easy on the Mini a while ago, so I'm not one to oversell a device just 'cause I own it, quite the opposite since I tend to be ipercritical.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
And that's fine. I'm not arguing whether you should like how big your iPad is. I am simply stating that I love the size of the mini.

That's cool, I wasn't trying to unsell, was just offering an opinion in contrast. I honestly don't know if I could drop down to a mini, I like the size of the iPad in my hands. I also don't think I would like it for reading, which is probably 50% of my iPad usage. I like holding it like a book and reading a book. Plus comics on the mini have gotta suck, right?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
No retina resolution is the only thing holding me back from going to a Mini, until it exists my iPad 3 will serve me wonderfully. The two things I look to improve upon it is solved by the Mini other than that, the weight and form factor ( the former more so than the latter, a larger screen has its uses!).

Flunkie

Banned
That's cool, I wasn't trying to unsell, was just offering an opinion in contrast. I honestly don't know if I could drop down to a mini, I like the size of the iPad in my hands. I also don't think I would like it for reading, which is probably 50% of my iPad usage. I like holding it like a book and reading a book. Plus comics on the mini have gotta suck, right?

Reading and comics, guh. Hadn't thought about that. Definitely would keep my big iPad for that. Gaming, though, I could see becoming much more attractive.

I'm still bitter that they came out with the iPad 4 a few months after the 3.

colinp

Banned

I have big hands but weak arms so the mini is great for me. ;) I read on the mini without any trouble. It feels like a medium sized paperback. I was worried the lack of retina would be a problem but it hasn't bothered me much. Some people are more particular about that of course. Stepping down from a retina iPad to a non retina mini would probably be a bad idea, anyway. I use my retina 4S with the mini without any trouble, but that's just me. I don't read comics so can't speak to that.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I have played around with my mum's mini, but I like the full size iPad. I would actually like to get a bigger one if they offered one in the future.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I have big hands but weak arms so the mini is great for me. ;) I read on the mini without any trouble. It feels like a medium sized paperback. I was worried the lack of retina would be a problem but it hasn't bothered me much. Some people are more particular about that of course. Stepping down from a retina iPad to a non retina mini would probably be a bad idea, anyway. I use my retina 4S with the mini without any trouble, but that's just me. I don't read comics so can't speak to that.

Do u even lift bro??

PFD

I feel like I would definitely game more on a mini. Regular just feels too big and clunky to sit down with sometimes. Will probably get a retina'd version when they come out. When are they supposed to hit again?

No one knows, but my money is on October.
And non-retina, barring any technological breakthroughs in battery and screen technologies

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Will probably get a retina'd version when they come out. When are they supposed to hit again?

No one knows, but my money is on October.
And non-retina, barring any technological breakthroughs in battery and screen technologies

Star Command is a launch title.

Feck those guys, release promises filled of dashed hopes and broken dreams. It'll end up coming out after XCOM and be shit, even on PC compared to FTL.

cackhyena

Or maybe I actually love my mini and, having gotten used to its weight and size, was genuinely surprised at how heavy and big the regular iPad is.
That's fantastic. Never said you didn't. I've had a mini and my iPad side by side. Would I say the iPad is bigger and weightier? Sure, and that's about it. Not exactly detriments.

I'm noticing a lot of recent releases requiring Facebook to connect/play with people. Usually there is a Game Center option but I've been trying out quite a few games these past couple of weeks and most of them you need Facebook to do any kind of interaction. Not a trend I'm liking.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm noticing a lot of recent releases requiring Facebook to connect/play with people. Usually there is a Game Center option but I've been trying out quite a few games these past couple of weeks and most of them you need Facebook to do any kind of interaction. Not a trend I'm liking.
What recently released games? I know RR3 has optional FB use but that's it that I've encountered.

PFD

Why can the mini not support retina while the Phone and Pad are both sporting the goods?

I believe Anandtech's analysis of a potential retina mini explains it best:

There are three routes Apple has to enable a Retina Display on the iPad mini:

1. Double horizontal and vertical resolution (4x the number of pixels, similar to what was done for the iPad 3/4)
2. Pick a new, in-between resolution that isn't an outright doubling in each dimension but maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio
3. Pick a new resolution that isn't an outright doubling, also pick a new aspect ratio in the process

With the exception of the iPhone 5, Apple has preferred outright quadrupling of pixel count (2x in each dimension, option #1) to create a Retina Display. With the mini's display using a 1024 x 768 resolution, this option would give it a 7.85-inch 2048 x 1536 panel. That would be the same resolution as the iPad 3/4, but in a much smaller display giving it a pixel density of 326 PPI (vs ~263 for the iPad 3/4). Apple could do this, but it would then need to make all of the same changes it made in going to the iPad with Retina Display, primarily the introduction of a larger battery and much larger SoC. The bigger battery is needed to drive the more powerful backlight, and the X-series of SoCs is needed to actually render the UI and games at such a high resolution. Both of these things would increase the size and cost of the mini, which would make it distinctly un-mini.

The second option would be to pick a new resolution that wasn't an integer multiple of the current one, say 1600 x 1200. You could maintain the same aspect ratio, but you'd just get greater pixel density. The problem with this approach is iOS for the iPad projects points in screen space to one of two resolutions: 1024 x 768 or 2048 x 1536. Picking a non-integer multiple of those resolutions would force Apple to do some scaling and filtering to hit the new resolution, which could reduce quality. Apple does this on the MacBook Pro with Retina Display to enable higher resolution modes. To maximize image quality however, Apple renders the desktop offscreen at 4x the resolution and then scales down to fit the panel. There are obvious performance concerns here as well.

The final option would be for Apple to take the iPhone 5 route and just pick a new resolution and enable support for it. The only downside to this option is that developers would have to target yet another type of display. As we've seen with the iPhone 5, that can be done but it also means a number of applications may take a while to get updated, if they are at all.

None of these options is particularly enticing for Apple, especially given the low (for Apple), starting price for the iPad mini. If you're expecting next year's mini to have a Retina Display, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Source

Now if Apple manages to utilize IGZO panels in their devices this year (as was indicated by rumors) they might be able to build a retina mini without sacrificing size and weight. But if they succeed, how would they differentiate the "iPad with Retina Display" (aka regular iPad)? It would be hard to market it against the mini which would have the same display quality for $170 cheaper.

Xemu

I hope you enjoyed your little rebellion, irritant. But remember, what SHODAN gives she is more than able to take away.
It seems to have missed the Feb thread (or at least the OP) so hopefully this isn't a thread faux pas... but the developer of QuestLord is a friend of mine and asked me to post the key info about it here. If you like old school RPGs I highly recommend it.

iTunes Link

QuestLordScreens.jpg

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Looks pretty cool. I'll check it out. Hopefully I don't burn through and get bored with it as quickly as I did with Knights of Pen and Paper.

Clipse

Anyone else pickup Popcap's new game Solitaire Blitz? Played a few games and it's pretty good so far, but pretty bare bones.

Also found out they finally updated Bookworm recently with retina and iPhone 5 support.

Kunan

I can't stop playing Ascension! A bunch of us played the offline pass-the-device multiplayer as a way of making the 6 hour drive home from Boston go by super quick :D

It's F2P so you should check it out! It's a deck building game, like Dominion, but I find that it's much more entertaining due to other currencies (attack and money) and having only a subset of card types available to purchase at any time.

I can't stop playing Ascension! A bunch of us played the offline pass-the-device multiplayer as a way of making the 6 hour drive home from Boston go by super quick :D

It's F2P so you should check it out! It's a deck building game, like Dominion, but I find that it's much more entertaining due to other currencies (attack and money) and having only a subset of card types available to purchase at any time.
Make the most of it. Definitely get the expansions as they add a lot more once you've got used to the base game.
It comes off the App Store in 2014. The licence holders are releasing their own version with support for other systems, but they promised to bring iOS owners over for free when it happens.

Rekwest

Make the most of it. Definitely get the expansions as they add a lot more once you've got used to the base game.
It comes off the App Store in 2014. The licence holders are releasing their own version with support for other systems, but they promised to bring iOS owners over for free when it happens.
2014??

Anyone else pickup Popcap's new game Solitaire Blitz? Played a few games and it's pretty good so far, but pretty bare bones.

Also found out they finally updated Bookworm recently with retina and iPhone 5 support.

It is pretty good. The IAP sucks however-it's really like Puzzles and Dragons with the "pay to recharge" shit-which sucks because its a fun game. Is the only way to get the boosts with money? You can't unlock them with in game currency?

PFD

It is pretty good. The IAP sucks however-it's really like Puzzles and Dragons with the "pay to recharge" shit-which sucks because its a fun game. Is the only way to get the boosts with money? You can't unlock them with in game currency?

So Popcap is also doing this thing now, awesome. PvZ 2 energy bars confirmed?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So Popcap is also doing this thing now, awesome. PvZ 2 energy bars confirmed?

I fear that PvZ 2 will feature a lot of timers and IAP's. The game design is definitely ripe for exploitation. It would be nice if there was a full PvZ 2 for a few bucks and a free PvZ 'Blitz' for all that kind of stuff.

I need to check out Solitaire Blitz but impressions are turning me off. But I didn't have super high expectations for a pretty straight port of a Facebook game, even if it's made by one of my favorite developers.

I don't mean to get into hyperbole...but I was really disappointed with Popcap's new Solitaire game. It doesn't have a hint of the legs that made their products such a "day one sight unseen purchase" for me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Halfbrick Studios is about to unleash their latest game very soon: Fish Out of Water. It'll be $0.99.

It looks like the game has a lot of charm. I can't wait to download it.

I bet it'll be free to play soon after like Jetpack Joyride. I'll get it though

BTW, you guys check out Wayward?

http://www.slidetoplay.com/news/wayward-hands-on-preview/

The next project from Rocketcat Games– the makers of excellent titles like Hook Champ, Mage Gauntlet, and Punch Quest– will fit right into Rocketcat’s retro-style portfolio. The game is called Wayward, and it’s a free-to-play hack-’n-slash dungeon crawler that developer Kepa Auwae describes as “Zelda plus Dark Souls plus Spelunky.”

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Courtesy of our amazing PikPok friends, we have 5 unclaimed prizes in the form of redeemable codes for
cute&fun Platformer/Puzzler TWANG THE FOX!

Quote to reveal
LFJYAAMTWAW7[/s] taken by wilfare
X73WMRLPFXAE]

- Please post asap when you grab one, reporting which one you used-
- I've posted 6 codes but there's a dummy one in there, so they're actually 5
- I've tweeted about this, so be quick :)

twang_title.jpg

TWANG the FOX on iTunes

-Reviews:

"Hey this is actually pretty cool!" -Dash Kappei on some gaming message board

"I've got the game already" - Internet Superstar Mr.Wario64 on Twitter
"...it's fun tho" - Internet Superstar Mr.Wario64 on Twitter

"I can't stop playing Twang!" -NeoGAFfer @cyport on Twitter

"This app didn't crash on startup -5/5" -Touchy Arcade

Twang The Fox Official Trailer on Youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom