• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread March 2013: It's $1 per post, $5 for 8 posts or $10 for 20 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

Finished Year Walk for the first time. Man, that was really something. Can't say as I found it particularly scary but it was certainly an extremely well put together piece of entertainment and I'm looking forward to going back a second time.

Yeah, gotta say iOS is disappointing this year so far.
I'm almost grateful for the chance to work through my backlog, but I hope it picks up soon.

SteveWD40

In Spring we have:

Breach and Clear
Warhammer Quest
Space Hulk
Frozen Synapse
Ultima Forevor
The Other Bros
Star Command (we hope)
Drifter
The Day I Tried
Ridicolous Fishing (this week?)

And probably some suprises.

wilflare

anyone tried Attention Pay It?

I beta-tested it and it was helluva challenging

here's a youtube trailer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GPKNRhdC_2I

mzl.squbaail.1024x1024-65.jpg

mzl.srthibcf.640x960-75.jpg

Having Issues with iPod Touch 4th Gen. Update coming ASAP!

Are you ready for the first ever Hardcore Action Puzzle Memory Game?

Complete each level as fast as you can for Trophies, Game Center Leaderboards, and in intense head-to-head battle.

Attention: Pay It is a fast paced multi-touch game that tests your ability to multitask. You have to be quick, you have to be precise, but most importantly you have to pay attention.

- 48 Single Player Levels with a new puzzle or variation added every 2nd level.
- 6 Challenge Levels to test your speed against the world on the Game Center Leaderborads.
- Survival and Sequence Mode - See how long you last in one random and one predetermined level.
- Online Multiplayer Race to complete the same newly generated level against an opponent.
- Social Multiplayer Share a level created just for you on Facebook, Twitter, or with a Link to challenge anyone to beat your time.

Forget the tired Match 3 formula or near random swiping you are used to and unlock the full power of your mind. Attention: Pay It! will push your fingers to the limit. Are you ready to Attention: Pay It?

Are you?

this would be an excellent game for the monthly iOS challenge

EDIT: forgot to include the iTunes Store Link
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/attention-pay-it!/id579985857?mt=8

In Spring we have:

Breach and Clear
Warhammer Quest
Space Hulk
Frozen Synapse
Ultima Forevor
The Other Bros
Star Command (we hope)
Drifter
The Day I Tried
Ridicolous Fishing (this week?)

And probably some suprises.
From the boardgame world we're expecting two big releases.
Eclipse (Space ships! Exploration! Accountants!)
Agricola (Peasants! Starvation! Farming!)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Finished Year Walk for the first time. Man, that was really something. Can't say as I found it particularly scary but it was certainly an extremely well put together piece of entertainment and I'm looking forward to going back a second time.

I'm almost grateful for the chance to work through my backlog, but I hope it picks up soon.

Did you get the first or second ending? Because if you got the first then there's just a little bit more for you to do, maybe half an hour, and then it'll be done done.

Amazing game.

But yeah, iOS has been a bit slow this year but I think that's OK, the pace was getting a bit manic towards the end of last year, I could do with finishing what's on my plate for a while. Plus doing things that aren't iOS games sometimes too.

PittaGAF

Last year was imho a great gaming year for iOS...showing first consistent signs of platform maturity.

I think this year will be better :p

SteveWD40

Last year was imho a great gaming year for iOS...showing first consistent signs of platform maturity.

I think this year will be better :p

I am just hoping for better dedicated iOS releases (like some of the ones I listed) where they are designed for the tablet / phone from a control and storage POV. Too many bloated, shitty ports last year, things that are multiplatform such as BG, M&M and MTG which are well over 1gb, sometimes nearing 2gb and don't run all that well on the hardware.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I am just hoping for better dedicated iOS releases (like some of the ones I listed) where they are designed for the tablet / phone from a control and storage POV. Too many bloated, shitty ports last year, things that are multiplatform such as BG, M&M and MTG which are well over 1gb, sometimes nearing 2gb and don't run all that well on the hardware.

True, the sizes of games can get ridiculous but I think that's just the world we're in. How can they be shrunk?

I know it's heresy but I think the ports are some of my favourite games. There's so much I've not played in my life, it's nice to get ports of great games. Baldur's Gate was fantastic, Clash of Heroes is wonderful, the FF games, GTAs, even stuff like Aquaria. I'm not really that fussed on a lot of the casual iOS stuff, anything that ranks you on three stars will usually get old for me pretty quick. If anything I want more ports. I want an Xcom port and a decent SimCity. That Space Hulk port looks perfect, gimme. Basically, iOS is my favourite platform for strategy and RPGs.

SteveWD40

True, the sizes of games can get ridiculous but I think that's just the world we're in. How can they be shrunk?

Dedicated versions (such as Warhammer Quest) where they are built from iOS from the ground up and not just ported with all the bloat from PC where size isn't an issue. If it means reducing sound assets then fine.

It wouldn't be so bad if the update process didn't require nearly double the app size...

Minsc

Gold Member
Dedicated versions (such as Warhammer Quest) where they are built from iOS from the ground up and not just ported with all the bloat from PC where size isn't an issue. If it means reducing sound assets then fine.

It wouldn't be so bad if the update process didn't require nearly double the app size...

I wouldn't call BG a bloated game, not by any normal means. I don't think you realize how much artwork is in the game as a whole, the vast majority of that file size is from the huge variety of 2D art. 2GBs is small for a 50 hour RPG anyway (outside of the 16-bit era), especially compared to more recent things, like the 4GB DLC for ME3, which is probably only a few hours long, or when you compare file sizes to modern RPGs, which are 20GB+ installed.

I'll agree that SE games are unnecessarily bloated, stuff like Secret of Mana / Chrono Trigger taking up 600MB+ when it should be around 1-50MBs (going by SNES/DS sizes) is a different story than a 2GB game like BG taking up 2GBs.

Complaining about size is weak anyway, I always thought. They're finally rolling out 128GB models, so hopefully we'll see a 32GB bottom line for the devices in the future. High resolution 2D and/or 3D games (especially at iPad 4 retina quality) just eat up a lot of space. Any game that doesn't recycle the same assets over and over and is a decent length will be in the GBs going forward. It's pretty much always been that way, spare for some select games that rely heavily on a retro futuristic style or minimalist / pixel art.

SteveWD40

They're finally rolling out 128GB models, so hopefully we'll see a 32GB bottom line for the devices in the future.

Well when we do I will rejoice, until then I do think some games are not worth the install size. You are right about BG though I concede that, it's a massive game in terms of content.

ParityBit

... Complaining about size is weak anyway, I always thought ...

I agree 10 fold. I do not want some substandard port with reduced experiences just because some people refuse to remove crap from their device/bought smaller storage to save money.

I have 64 gigs and my device is almost full (I think I have 3 gig left). When I need room, I can off my device or I do not get the app. Simple as that.

2GB is fine by me when the game is as good as BG...if bug fix patches are like 100k.

This is more the issue to me at the moment.

SteveWD40

2GB is fine by me when the game is as good as BG...if bug fix patches are like 100k.

This is more the issue to me.

Yeah that's the worst part, when you need nearly 5gb just to update the game. Delta updates are supposed to fix this but I have no idea if all apps use them.

PittaGAF

Pretty excited for this, I love the 40k universe.

Has their been any word on whether or not it's iPad only? I keep seeing it listed for just 'iOS" so I'm hoping that equals an iPhone release as well.

Straight from dev mouth on TA thread:

iPhone - we will try! And no matter what, we will do it universal. Even if the UI has to be redone/reworked.

Personally I wouldn't hold my breath, surely not at launch (supposed between September and November 2013).
Multyplatform coop (PC and iPad) is confirmed.
And according to THIS interview....it's a PC game first and foremost...(no way the iOS version will sport that graphics).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah that's the worst part, when you need nearly 5gb just to update the game. Delta updates are supposed to fix this but I have no idea if all apps use them.

All apps support delta updates if they've been written with iOS 6 support in mind. Bear in mind that deltas only fix the downloading aspect of updates, in the case of BG:EE you'll still need 4.5-5 GB of free space for the updating process itself. The system reserves x2 app space and duplicates the app while updating that copy, then once the update has gone through without issues it replaces the old version with the new.

All apps does this, it's common practice in the PC space as well (hello Steam).

PittaGAF

The 'problem' is that iOS makes a security copy of your whole app when updating, so if something goes wrong you can always have your app back (before trying to update).
Delta update are for downloading less data instead of the whole app again, but it doesn't really resolve the 'you need double space' thing.....you still need double the space (for the original app and the soon to be patched one).
I'm not so sure how they could solve it.

That said, I love delta updates....I really hated downloading 1 GB of data for 'added FB integration' or 'minor bug fixes'.

Fjordson

Straight from dev mouth on TA thread:

iPhone - we will try! And no matter what, we will do it universal. Even if the UI has to be redone/reworked.

Personally I wouldn't hold my breath, surely not at launch (supposed between September and November 2013).
Multyplatform coop (PC and iPad) is confirmed.
And according to THIS interview....it's a PC game first and foremost...(no way the iOS version will sport that graphics).
Ah, damn. Well hopefully an iPhone version hits eventually.

SteveWD40

(no way the iOS version will sport that graphics).

Yeah they said as much, that the iOS version hasn't been shown yet. I was actually hoping for something a little more Hunters 2 for Space Hulk, in terms of the top down perspective (same one used in Warhammer Quest).

PittaGAF

Yeah they said as much, that the iOS version hasn't been shown yet. I was actually hoping for something a little more Hunters 2 for Space Hulk, in terms of the top down perfective (same one used in Warhammer Quest).

Yeah...to be honest, as much as I love Warhammer 40K, I'll be on the fence till the product is out...I wasn't really impressed by previous dev games, expecially on the technical side (and those screenshots look a bit extreme to me anyway)...but I'm willing to be surprised.
Plus, I'm already well beyond my hype limit with Warhammer Quest, spasmodically waiting for new infos or a gameplay video that shows UI and mechanics.

PFD

Download the desired app through iTunes on your PC, then connect your device and install it directly. It won't require double the space.

Rekwest

Does anyone have an unused code for Starbucks' pick of the week: Brian Cox's Wonders of the universe? I noticed it was the pick of last week. I am going to check a Starbucks tomorrow to hope they still have it but otherwise, my fate is in your hands. Thanks, if you do.

PFD

Does anyone have an unused code for Starbucks' pick of the week: Brian Cox's Wonders of the universe? I noticed it was the pick of last week. I am going to check a Starbucks tomorrow to hope they still have it but otherwise, my fate is in your hands. Thanks, if you do.

Don't have a code, but it's an incredible app especially on the iPad. Everyone get this if you can!

ios has been disappointing lately. Way too many F2P games. I don't like the direction it's going. Even $0.99 games aren't fun to buy anymore. Sales aren't the same either.

Meanwhile, the 3DS is taking off! Which is good.

I feel the same way actually. I used to buy at least 2 iOS games per week-now there's hardly anything coming out. I have been playing my 3DS a lot lately.

I feel the same way actually. I used to buy at least 2 iOS games per week-now there's hardly anything coming out. I have been playing my 3DS a lot lately.

A lot of iOS devs seem incredibly lazy. One game's a hit and all of a sudden everything that comes out is just that game reskinned and about 10% as good. Then there's another hit down the line and the cycle repeats.

Almost everything I play on iOS these days just makes me think "I've played this before, but better."

A lot of iOS devs seem incredibly lazy. One game's a hit and all of a sudden everything that comes out is just that game reskinned and about 10% as good. Then there's another hit down the line and the cycle repeats.

Almost everything I play on iOS these days just makes me think "I've played this before, but better."

Yeah. I think iOS really needs a shot in the arm with some creativity and fun-not just some game trying to cash in on trying to earn IAP.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

I went for 32GB for my iPad mini while my previous iPad was a 64GB model. I thought was going to be fine since I felt to always have plenty or free space on the latter, but damn what a mistake I made. Honestly I have no idea
how some people here manage to go along with 16B, I had to strip mine from any music/movies besides a few episodes of TV shows in SD. Besides work stuff there's only games in there and now I have less than 1GB free!

anyone tried Attention Pay It?

I beta-tested it and it was helluva challenging

here's a youtube trailer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GPKNRhdC_2I

this would be an excellent game for the monthly iOS challenge

EDIT: forgot to include the iTunes Store Link
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/attention-pay-it!/id579985857?mt=8

Cool, looking forward to trying it out in the next days then. Is the dev's a gaffer by any chance?

Anyway, just posted hint #6 for guessing the grand prize for the gaf challenge @GAF_iOS_scores
A little nifty reward for whoever guesses the right answer first and tweets it!

Also, we're near an incredible achievement: I started the official GAF iOS Membership List less than two years ago and today we've reached #299!
Who will have the honour of being the 300th entry? :p

wilflare

snip
Cool, looking forward to trying it out in the next days then. Is the dev's a gaffer by any chance?
snip

sadly, nope. Adam isn't on the forums! but I'll ask him to watch the thread for feedback so post away any love/angst!

It does have some pretty awesome mechanics

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just did something pretty inprecedented in my history of f2p Farmville-type games, I gave $4.99 to Happy Street. It's just unbelievably cool and fun to see the new buildings grow, the artists they have on the game are my heroes. And it's such an effortless, polished experience all around, never felt that way about one of these besides maybe Tiny Tower...

Dash Kappei

I see someone finally guessed the thing on twitter. I already have The Walking Dead Assault so :p.

But the challenge is not on TWD Assault, getting a code for that was just the reward for guessing the grand prize :p
The Skybound guys are sponsoring us. And they're so cool, Robert Kirkman is awesome, the grand prize is fucking unbelievable... :)

wilflare

But the challenge is not on TWD Assault, getting a code for that was just the reward for guessing the grand prize :p
The Skybound guys are sponsoring us. And they're so cool, Robert Kirkman is awesome, the grand prize is fucking unbelievable... :)

now I really want to know what's the grand prize

Dash Kappei

Lara Croft and the guardian etc HD is down to $0.99

How is it? Controls are customizable, how do they work (layout is stickied, dynamic)? Always wary of dual stick shooters mechanics with a virtual pad...

Ranger X

Qustion about 1000000...

I am at "hero" rank and I got all the objectives done without having reached 1 million poitns so far. Now when I die, it doesn't keep the score anymore. I always stay at the same score like I would need an objective to actually continue raking in more points...
Is this a bug or a bad design??

Silvawuff

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that iOS releases have come to a crawl recently -- at least with relevant games.

Qustion about 1000000...

I am at "hero" rank and I got all the objectives done without having reached 1 million poitns so far. Now when I die, it doesn't keep the score anymore. I always stay at the same score like I would need an objective to actually continue raking in more points...
Is this a bug or a bad design??
Is it that it only keeps the high score, not your last score. When you exceed that it will remember it. You probably want to concentrate on score bonuses at this point if everything is unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom