• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread March 2013: It's $1 per post, $5 for 8 posts or $10 for 20 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I think iOS really needs a shot in the arm with some creativity and fun-not just some game trying to cash in on trying to earn IAP.

These are not just how I feel, but I think they're telling signs. Whenever the casual market is involved I realize it's just a fad at the end of the day.

Guitar Hero's popularity fading, Wii's popularity gone, Zynga struggling, and now ios games being flooded with quick cash-in games with tons of F2P + IAPs. I think it can go downhill if this keeps up.

Not saying smart phones are going to die off, far from it. We still use them for more important things than games. But I think mobile gaming will take a hit the next few years. And all those critics saying console/handheld games are doomed to tablets and mobile phones will turn out to be hyperbole and the opposite will hold true.

Heel

In Spring we have:

Breach and Clear
Warhammer Quest
Space Hulk
Frozen Synapse
Ultima Forevor
The Other Bros
Star Command (we hope)
Drifter
The Day I Tried
Ridicolous Fishing (this week?)

And probably some suprises.

Yeah, not really surprised about a release lull after the holidays. I'm sure things will pick up steam as the year goes on. What's everyone looking forward to that's not named Phoenix Wright or Infinity Blade: Dungeons? Off the top of my head, looking forward to:

The Banner Saga
Gemini Rue
Mew-Genics
Tiny Thief
The Witness before the year closes, hopefully

Ranger X

Is it that it only keeps the high score, not your last score. When you exceed that it will remember it. You probably want to concentrate on score bonuses at this point if everything is unlocked.

I seeee. That's why. I'll activate some score potions I guess.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I went for 32GB for my iPad mini while my previous iPad was a 64GB model. I thought was going to be fine since I felt to always have plenty or free space on the latter, but damn what a mistake I made. Honestly I have no idea
how some people here manage to go along with 16B, I had to strip mine from any music/movies besides a few episodes of TV shows in SD. Besides work stuff there's only games in there and now I have less than 1GB free!

Cool, looking forward to trying it out in the next days then. Is the dev's a gaffer by any chance?

Anyway, just posted hint #6 for guessing the grand prize for the gaf challenge @GAF_iOS_scores
A little nifty reward for whoever guesses the right answer first and tweets it!

Also, we're near an incredible achievement: I started the official GAF iOS Membership List less than two years ago and today we've reached #299!
Who will have the honour of being the 300th entry? :p

I really shoulda tweeted (but I don't use twitter), I knew it was Walking Dead aaaages ago. Really dislike that game though so I'll be sitting this one out. Next time!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I see you haven't read Twitter but you haven't read the previous page posts either. :p
I repeated ad nauseam that the game for the challenge IS NOT, I repeat, IT IS NOT The Walking Dead Assault.

Also the answer to the "meta-game" on Twitter wasn't "The walking dead assault" either, although TWD diehard fans will definitely have an heart atrack looking at the prizes ;)

The game chosen will only be revealed when the thread goes live.
So no, you haven't got permission to skip this one :D

Fjordson

Yeah, not really surprised about a release lull after the holidays. I'm sure things will pick up steam as the year goes on. What's everyone looking forward to that's not named Phoenix Wright or Infinity Blade: Dungeons? Off the top of my head, looking forward to:

The Banner Saga
Gemini Rue
Mew-Genics
Tiny Thief
The Witness before the year closes, hopefully
Gemini Rue is so, so good. Played it on PC when it came out. Fans of classic point & click adventures will love it.

These are not just how I feel, but I think they're telling signs. Whenever the casual market is involved I realize it's just a fad at the end of the day.

Guitar Hero's popularity fading, Wii's popularity gone, Zynga struggling, and now ios games being flooded with quick cash-in games with tons of F2P + IAPs. I think it can go downhill if this keeps up.

Not saying smart phones are going to die off, far from it. We still use them for more important things than games. But I think mobile gaming will take a hit the next few years. And all those critics saying console/handheld games are doomed to tablets and mobile phones will turn out to be hyperbole and the opposite will hold true.

If Apple is really serious about iOS becoming a lasting platform for games, they should really get into game publishing-fund several known studios, like Simogo and Chair to develop a certain number of high profile, unique experiences that they would in turn publish and use as examples for how rich the platform could be. Instead what we have is yet another movie tie in for Temple Run this week-based on the new Wizard of Oz movie. Is there anyone legitimately excited about that?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I see you haven't read Twitter but you haven't read the previous page posts either. :p
I repeated ad nauseam that the game for the challenge IS NOT, I repeat, IT IS NOT The Walking Dead Assault.

Also the answer to the "meta-game" on Twitter wasn't "The walking dead assault" either, although TWD diehard fans will definitely have an heart atrack looking at the prizes ;)

The game chosen will only be revealed when the thread goes live.
So no, you haven't got permission to skip this one :D

haha, good-o! It's what I get for a skimread catchup :)

I haven't posted in these threads properly for a little while since all I've really been playing is Drop7 and A Dream of Pixels. The latter is great - I don't really like Tetris on iOS but this reverse Tetris idea is fantastic and works really well for quick games. I recommend it for a future challenge. Cos I'm good at it :D

Gemini Rue is so, so good. Played it on PC when it came out. Fans of classic point & click adventures will love it.

Hope it comes out soon! Hoping for an iOS version since I first saw the game!

There's little to none cyberpunk in iOS (other than Beneath a Steel Sky, I can't think of any other title).

PittaGAF

If Apple is really serious about iOS becoming a lasting platform for games, they should really get into game publishing-fund several known studios, like Simogo and Chair to develop a certain number of high profile, unique experiences that they would in turn publish and use as examples for how rich the platform could be. Instead what we have is yet another movie tie in for Temple Run this week-based on the new Wizard of Oz movie. Is there anyone legitimately excited about that?

I still think Apple is a de facto gaming platform now by pure chance.
There are millions things they could have done to enforce their presence (controller API, aTV AppStore, buying exclusives or directly devs....) but they just seem not interested.
Yet...with all the shortcomings of the platform, I'm sure Apple took away tons of money from traditional console makers (both home and portable) for a number of reasons.

Still...if they took this more seriously, we could have a much more 'hardcore' and consistent experience.
I had some hopes when Steve Jobs said that since they advertised the iPod Touch as a gaming portable machine, it took off.
But then nothing really changed besides GameCenter.

Heck...they had so much money they could buy SEVERAL triple A developers in the same month, not to mention exclusives.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Guitar Hero's popularity fading, Wii's popularity gone, Zynga struggling, and now ios games being flooded with quick cash-in games with tons of F2P + IAPs.

Industry players chasing any platform as "the next big thing" have a flawed strategy, and many have paid the price.

"The next big thing" is not a platform. It is durable, scalable content able to be expressed across multiple devices allowing the consumer opportunity and choice on how and when they engage with it. Such content transcends individual platforms and is insulated when a platform's bubble bursts.

The mobile market is maturing rapidly, and more and more content providers find themselves struggling to compete. But the answer is not pivoting back to console or any other platform.

J0dy77

Yeah that's the worst part, when you need nearly 5gb just to update the game. Delta updates are supposed to fix this but I have no idea if all apps use them.

Just update from your PC. It isn't often that you have a 5gb update. Download the file in iTunes and plug in the cable, done.

Sonic Dash looks disappointingly lame. Just saw a video of it at TA. Really wish it was 2D. Maybe it's just the 90s in me but 3D Sonic has always sort of sucked.

Yeah, not really surprised about a release lull after the holidays. I'm sure things will pick up steam as the year goes on. What's everyone looking forward to that's not named Phoenix Wright or Infinity Blade: Dungeons?

The next First Touch Soccer installment.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah, not really surprised about a release lull after the holidays. I'm sure things will pick up steam as the year goes on. What's everyone looking forward to that's not named Phoenix Wright or Infinity Blade: Dungeons?

On phone so can't link them but.. :

Prevail
Star Command
Warhammer Quest
Republique

One of which we'll see in the very near future.

Returners

Anyone know how to get the stocking stuffer achievement in Where's my Valentine? It's "Investigate the stockings above the fireplace".

The mobile market is maturing rapidly, and more and more content providers find themselves struggling to compete. But the answer is not pivoting back to console or any other platform.

Yeah the market is "maturing" in as far as there are more users popping up, but the content being provided on the App Store is more and more becoming just quick, easy, low quality filler. It's disappointing-I thought that this far into iOS we would at least have some richer experiences. You guys, Simogo, Chair-I know I'll be getting a good product and will always buy an app from those developers. But every Wednesday I look at the new releases and it just looks like nonsense.

Industry players chasing any platform as "the next big thing" have a flawed strategy, and many have paid the price.

"The next big thing" is not a platform. It is durable, scalable content able to be expressed across multiple devices allowing the consumer opportunity and choice on how and when they engage with it. Such content transcends individual platforms and is insulated when a platform's bubble bursts.

In other words, f2p and iap? I'm looking at pikpoks game list and that's what stands out: cheap, disposable games coupled with licensing.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yeah the market is "maturing" in as far as there are more users popping up, but the content being provided on the App Store is more and more becoming just quick, easy, low quality filler. It's disappointing-I thought that this far into iOS we would at least have some richer experiences. You guys, Simogo, Chair-I know I'll be getting a good product and will always buy an app from those developers. But every Wednesday I look at the new releases and it just looks like nonsense.

Discovery, on all platforms, is the key issue to solve as an enabler of the long tail market. Sounds like Valve has some exciting work happening there in democratizing discovery, but everybody could learn from what the likes of Amazon have been pouring research into for years.

Of All Trades said:
In other words, f2p and iap?

Yes, I believe F2P and IAP will be dominant not only in mobile and tablet, but also we'll see it push into PC and console in a big way .

Advertising and rewards are a heavy component of our strategy as well.

I'm looking at pikpoks game list and that's what stands out: cheap, disposable games coupled with licensing.

Ok.

Edit: in other news, we just rolled out an update for Into the Dead with a new mode for advanced players. Hardcore Mode features weapon management, random maps, random ammo.

537657_10151562020259750_984270295_n.jpg

Flick Kick Football Kickoff (the free one is getting a massive update soon too).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
In other words, f2p and iap? I'm looking at pikpoks game list and that's what stands out: cheap, disposable games coupled with licensing.

GTFO Pikpok was among the first to release high quality games perfectly tailored to iOS devices and to embrace Universal apps. Their games are mostly great, you're doing them a great disservice with that flat out false statement.

GTFO Pikpok was among the first to release high quality games perfectly tailored to iOS devices and to embrace Universal apps. Their games are mostly great, you're doing them a great disservice with that flat out false statement.

http://pikpok.com/games/

Almost a third of the games are licensed and all but Shatter (a PSN port) are what I think most would consider cheap and disposable. They aren't bad games, but when games like Waking Mars and The Room are apparently considered among the best (and personally I consider them just slightly better than ok) then I would tend to put them on the lower end of the acceptable scale.

The last game I played by them was SMAC and frankly I considered that poor.

PFD

http://pikpok.com/games/

Almost a third of the games are licensed and all but Shatter (a PSN port) are what I think most would consider cheap and disposable. They aren't bad games, but when games like Waking Mars and The Room are apparently considered among the best (and personally I consider them just slightly better than ok) then I would tend to put them on the lower end of the acceptable scale.

The last game I played by them was SMAC and frankly I considered that poor.

Hmm which games do you consider good? Just curious

PikPok games are awesome - they do have IAP, but they are in no way intrusive or required. It's the least intrusive implementation of IAP I've seen. For the people that just want to unlock everything-it's there. But the majority of people don't need it.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
When is Shatter coming to iPad? I want to double dip right now!

We just finished the Steam implementation of Shatter Linux which jumped in at the head of the queue. Then Shatter for the Mac App Store is next. Then Shatter iPad :)

GWX

We just finished the Steam implementation of Shatter Linux which jumped in at the head of the queue. Then Shatter for the Mac App Store is next. Then Shatter iPad :)

Oh, it's probably going to take a while, then. Well, I'm glad it's still coming!

Flunkie

Banned
Bit surprised the past few Wednesday nights of the lack of activity in here. Wednesday nights are usually the best nights for iOS. It's when new games come out for goodness sake people. We actually have a decent week:

http://toucharcade.com/2013/03/06/coming-tonight-55/

Block Fortress looks cool. Halfway satisfies my crave for a fucking Super Monkey Ball Tower Mode Minigame on iOS, or PSP, Vita, DS, anything.

Goli

From tonight's releases the only things I'm interested in are Liberation Maiden and Sonic Dash. I think I might buy Liberation Maiden and thus finally own all localized Guild-01 games, but for Sonic Dash I'll probably wait till it goes free which I'm sure will happen someday soon.

GAMERG0D

I may buy Sonic Dash at a later date, still need to play Sonic Jump. Year Walk has my interest and might be my next game on iOS.

Gaaraz

My friend's created an iOS app (a simple game) that he's happy with but needs some graphics work done, does anyone here have any recommendations that he can get some decent graphics without breaking the bank? He's releasing the game for free and isn't expecting to make any of the money back.

yogloo

I'd just like to give credit and thanks for coming up with a neat idea.

Hope you don't mind, I took it and did some tweaks which the GAF_iOS_scores twitter is currently using;

iGfvl3q5eLLYd.png

plus a Twitter header;

:)

--

Will go over recent releases and add appropriate ones to the OP later today.

That's so friggin awesome. Great job.

Goli

How is The World Ends With You? Is it worth $20 on the iPad?
I only have the iPhone version but I think it's totally worth it.

I'd just like to give credit and thanks for coming up with a neat idea.

Hope you don't mind, I took it and did some tweaks which the GAF_iOS_scores twitter is currently using;

iGfvl3q5eLLYd.png

plus a Twitter header;

:)

--

Will go over recent releases and add appropriate ones to the OP later today.
It looks pretty! My version was based on the OSX Game Center icon which has much less rounded edges combined with a more simple look but I like your changes to it too and the header looks great. :)

SuperPac

We just pushed out a sizable content update for Super Mole Escape last night (and dropped the price to FREE). Developed by the hugely talented and fellow GAFfers Grumpyface Studios. Download here: http://www.appstore.com/supermoleescape I'm biased of course, but I love this game. :) Very happy we could kick in some new content.

First of all - iPhone 5 support has been added (and it looks awesome on the wider screen)

- New mode! Time Trial -
Test your digging mettle on a fixed-course race against the clock in each of the 6 environment types. You have two speed burst power-ups to help you out; use them wisely.

- New stage! Coal Factory -
We've introduced a new level type into the mix—a coal factory with conveyor belts that can slow or speed your progress away from the warden.

- New unlockable character! Gizmole -
Once he gets going this speedy li'l clockwork mole can leave the warden in the dust with ease.

- New power-up! Laser -
Shoots ahead and behind your character to destroy rocks, stop the warden or obliterate foes.

- New level layouts, achievements and leaderboards -
We've added new paths and layouts to the mix of level segments you'll find in the game, and new leaderboards and Game Center achievements for the Time Trial mode.

Here's some screens showing the new stuff:

(Unfortunately there's a nasty bug ppl upgrading a version already on their device will run into w/the Time Trials stages but we'll soon submit a fix!)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It looks like a $2 freemium game to me. Fuck that.
Haha yeah, I'm still interested but not $2 interested. It has no business being that much while other runners like that are free (and Rayman itself is $3). Still hoping they'll eventually make a Sonic like Jungle run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom