• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"iPad 3" vs PS Vita (a "good" "analysis" inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
Cause PS Vita games are the prime example of originality

Yes, because I was talking about how crappy the iPad was, right? No. Read my posts before. I own both.

I'm just saying that I'm sick of endless runners, and if anything I was saying that the iPad has the opportunity for a lot more originality. I wasn't talking about the iPad as a platform for games. At all.

Of course the definition of a good analysis is to compare a dedicated handheld console with tablet whose existence hasn't even been confirmed yet, let alone its exact specifications.

imjust1n

Banned
Ok just to point this out im not a fan boy what so ever of anything. I like everything and anything.

The ipad 3 (whenever is comes out) should not be categorized with the psvita.

The Psvita is a gaming system,where the ipad is a more of a all around system it does basically everything and anything including gaming.

The gaming side on touch devices are kinda blah to me. If I want to game I will pull out my 3DS or my Vita....not my android tablet or ipad.... I use those more for laying down watching movies, doing work on, social interactions, and SOME times playing games.

The psvita is gonna do just fine, if not better then what people are whinnying about. I invest lots of money into video games because it is a hobby.

Mitama

iPad 2 has 16 gigs of space while the Vita doesn't come with any.
Why does this matter, really? Vita games come on physical media so don't necessarily need flash space. Then there's also the fact that Vita's space can be expanded whereas with an iPad you're stuck unless you buy a more expensive model.
Most games on the iPad don't cost $35-40
Yes, with good reason: 99% of games on the App Store aren't even worth a fiver. Proper games just carry that pricetag and have no place on there anyway (lack of good controls, $0.99 mentality).
The iPad will do much more than play games and the browser is fully capable unlike the Vita, which while improved from the PSP isn't anything to write home about
Sure it does a lot more but why even compare the two? This entire comparison is moot for you are comparing apples to oranges. One is a dedicated gaming device, the other is a multi-purpose replacement for desktop computers that just so happens to play games. It's an unfair comparison for both parties.
iPad 2 does much more than the Vita
I use my iPad 2 for browsing, checking email, Facebook, watching Youtube vids and that's about it. Games however, I don't use my iPad for. Why would I waste my time on flash games? There's been like what, 5 games tops that managed to keep me playing longer than 15 minutes.

Also, calling someone who plays Angry Birds on occasion (or even daily) a gamer? Really? Ask them how they perceive themselves. I played all kinds of games with my ex: DKC Returns, A Boy and His Blob, Super Mario World, Tiny Wings, Plants vs. Zombies, Warioware and so on. She would never call herself a gamer though. To me, a gamer is someone that enjoys the hobby and takes a real interest in it. People who play games that are actual experiences, not something that has the same content as a free flash game and keeps your attention equally long.

OK, only 70% of iPad 3 buyers play games, so that leaves a market of 42 million...

Where did he get that number from?

I shall assume 70% of all people who own a PC (/laptop/general computing device) play games. Everyone should just make games for the PC and sell them for $5.

I don't care if someone's entire gaming life consists of playing Pac Man. They're a gamer. This desire to segment and group people as 'true gamers' or 'casual' or 'hardcore' is simply ridiculous.
No it's not. It highlights that there are different markets to cater to different demands. One is not going to swallow the other. There is room for Vita and there is room for iPad. Simple.

Yes, because I was talking about how crappy the iPad was, right? No. Read my posts before. I own both.

But hey, nice attempt at calling me a fanboy. I'm just saying that I'm sick of endless runners, and if anything I was saying that the iPad has the opportunity for a lot more originality. I wasn't talking about the iPad as a platform for games. At all.

Sorry it came across that way, my aim wasn't to call you a fanboy, just to point out that unoriginal games are to be expected, just like in any other medium really. I agree, there's tons of potential that the majority of devs ignore.

DarkPanda

Let's assume that development costs for a game for the two devices are similar. How much revenue per unit sold of a game can a publisher expect? For a PS Vita title, assuming it's sold at $40 retail (some will be more, some less) a publisher might clear as much as $15 per unit, maybe up to $20. For an iPad title, assuming a retail price of $6.99 (and some are more, some less), the publisher gets about $5. So the PS Vita title returns 4 times as much revenue, but there are 12 times as many iPad 3s to sell to. OK, only 70% of iPad 3 buyers play games, so that leaves a market of 42 million... a little less than 9 times as much as the PS Vita. Remember, though, our numbers for the PS Vita were quite rosy; 5 million units is an aggressive sales prediction. The number could well be 4 million or 3 million, or even 2 million. The iPad 3, on the other hand, is likely to sell even more than the previous model iPad; we do have a track record to base sales predictions on.

The article loses all credibility right there. "Here we pretend that Angry Birds and Uncharted are the same thing and that the sales patterns of games on the overcrowded app store follow those of more visible, better marketed dedicated handheld games." The entire analysis is based on speculation and outright wrong assumptions.

Einbroch

Banned
Sorry it came across that way, my aim wasn't to call you a fanboy, just to point out that unoriginal games are to be expected, just like in any other medium really. I agree, there's tons of potential that the majority of devs ignore.

Sorry if that was hostile, I just kinda get fed up with having an opinion and then it being taken out of context. Not saying you were doing that, but these threads just bring out the worst in us. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom