• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone & iPod Touch Games :: Thread of What to Buy

Flo_Evans

Some quick music app reviews:

Minisynth - 4/5
Analog synth for your iPhone! Great sounding retro synth with everything you would expect, but with a few problems. NO POLYPHONY! (no chords) this blows for obvious reasons. NO SAVING OF PATCHES! What? I just spent a ton of time perfecting my sounds, have to start all over. There are some good factory presests, but this is a huge flaw. Dev says he's working on this but have not seen frequent updates.

Ornica - 5/5
Great! Really love the "listen" feature in this. Best iPhone "instrument" so far.

Pocket guitar - 2/5
Useless! Cool idea but due to the ergonomics of the iPhone nearly impossible to play. Also sounds like crap. At least the guy updates it semi regularly.

4 track - 4/5
Old school guys that where in a high school band will love this. Works just like an old tape 4 track, but with a stylish new UI. No real editing. If you mess up, you just rewind and record over that part again. Can export tracks with a HTTP webserver. I will write more about this one later since it is $10.

iDicto - 4/5
Mono voice recorder. Nice graphics, but uterly destroyed by 4 track in functionality. One plus is though the files are much smaller, if you wanted to record an entire concert or epic speech (or your professors lecture) this one may be for you. Adjustabe recording quality.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
dLMN8R said:
I looked around and couldn't find a definitive answer - can you tell me what the differences are between the free and full versions? Just wondering what I'd be missing out on.

You know, I honestly can't. I went straight for the 10 dollar version off the bat. I'll check the descriptions in iTunes for you, though. By the way, I'm fucking LOVING this app. It's literally ALL of my media on my computer streamed directly to my iPhone, even in low-bar EDGE networks. (Obviously with lower quality.) I can't tell you how liberating it is watching episodes of Doug and Rocko in the middle of psych class!

Ok, it looks like the free version really is just a type of trial. It doesn't let you pick your media, and just chooses random stuff. Super lame, but just buy the 10 dollar one anyway.

Oh yeah, if you have a TV Tuner card, you can stream live TV to your iPhone. Take THAT Japan!

kinn

Dacvak said:
Ok, it looks like the free version really is just a type of trial. It doesn't let you pick your media, and just chooses random stuff.

Yeah and it only shows three files\folders at a time.

Trism - 9/10 - the addiction factor, for me at least, is thru the roof. reminds me of Dialhex, where you try to get the colored hexagons grouped together. but instead of 6 pcs matching, you only need 3. at the same time, the game will throw you some obstacles, like locking a peice in place, and making one a bomb, so you need to get rid of it within 6 moves. also has acheivement trophies. You basically move the pieces by moving the lines along the hexagonal grid--drag the lines left to right, from top left to bottom right, from top right to bottom left, and vice versa. the pieces wrap around the board, and will bounce back into place if you cant get a match.

you can unlock more modes once you hit the 1 million mark in the main modes.

along with FieldRunners, my weekend is booked. :lol :lol

Dyne

Lemonade Stand - WHOA, BLAST from the past. This was my very first game along with Space Invaders for the Apple IIc. I saw it for 99 cents and just had to have it. The classic economic gameplay is all there and you can either have upgraded graphics, or the classic graphics. Also, all the beep and boop music from the original is there.

My score - 8/10. Heavy nostalgia and they delivered, all for 99 cents. I recommend if you're looking for 10-20 minutes to kill from time to time.

Dyne said:
Lemonade Stand - WHOA, BLAST from the past. This was my very first game along with Space Invaders for the Apple IIc. I saw it for 99 cents and just had to have it. The classic economic gameplay is all there and you can either have upgraded graphics, or the classic graphics. Also, all the beep and boop music from the original is there.

My score - 8/10. Heavy nostalgia and they delivered, all for 99 cents. I recommend if you're looking for 10-20 minutes to kill from time to time.
Lemonade Stand was quality. But I want touch screen number munchers. Apple II version please.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Do they actually have any decent chess games. I'm to scared to drop money, and the reviews on Itunes are so hot and cold they can never be trusted unless something is free.

Fieldrunners is everything i'd want from a tower defense game on the iPhone, and the only game that keeps bringing me back. Highly recommended.

Sp3eD said:
Do they actually have any decent chess games. I'm to scared to drop money, and the reviews on Itunes are so hot and cold they can never be trusted unless something is free.

Seriously, the lack of a free chess game is pretty bad.

And for god sakes, where's an update all command. Was one added in 2.2?

Anno

AndersTheSwede said:
Seriously, the lack of a free chess game is pretty bad.

Look up "Chess with Friends". It's currently free and actually very cool. Asynchronous play is fantastic and lets me play against several of my friends over the period of several days as we get the time or right away. There's also a random opponent feature and pass-and-play support for local games. The devs seem pretty cool too and seem to have good things planned. It can't hurt to try it.

Edit: Apparently it will be free for a long time (forever?) and if you've already paid the initial $4.99 price point they are offering some sort of refund.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Nobody stumbled upon Blue Defense yet? It's barebones (no sound, for example) at the moment but only 99 cents. It's got a bit of the Geometry Wars aesthetic and plays a bit like Missile Command, only more iPhone-centric.

Bejeweled - I play this almost all the time whenever I'm waiting somewhere and I'm in the mood for a game. Oddly therapeutic.

Where's my Monopoly, EA?

Anno

MickD said:
When does puzzle quest drop?

Sometime next month. With Sim City it'll be an interesting time for iPod/iPhone gaming as we start to see some of the larger, brand name items hit the store for more than $.99-$3.99.

y2dvd

Thanks OP, just the thread I was looking for. I like the touch of pointing out the type of app each one is. I've already downloaded 10 apps and counting. :D

This thread - 10/10

kaching said:
Nobody stumbled upon Blue Defense yet? It's barebones (no sound, for example) at the moment but only 99 cents. It's got a bit of the Geometry Wars aesthetic and plays a bit like Missile Command, only more iPhone-centric.
A friend of mines was the one who made it. Pretty good of a game, but I'm still very iffy on the controls, it definitely has some learning curve to it.

Sounds is being patched in soon, along with a online leaderboard, according to him.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
After about a week without updates, I just bought 4 new games. I'll be sure to try them all out and add impressions. Also, when I do, I'll update the original post with the impressions you guys gave that I missed.

Happy Thanksgiving. Don't forget about App Store Black Friday deals tomorrow!

Dacvak

UPDATES!

Bike or Die 2 - Game - 7/10 - Addictive qualities and high difficulty. Ride your bike either left or right and use physics to your advantage in order to collect objects across the 2D map.

Powerboat - Game - 7.5/10 - Think Wave Race or Hydrooooo Thunder! Decent controls, and fancy iPhone graphics. It's not bad, but it's certainly not as good as the aforementioned water jet games.

Price Is Right - Game - 9/10 - It's the fucking Price Is Right! Period! You can go through using a 3 strike mode, or you can play just like any regular contestant as if you were really on the show. It uses the real announcer voice guy, and videos for hundreds of different items. Local multiplayer on one iPhone, too. Buy this game, it's damn good.

Touchgrind - Game - 8.5/10 - This is a super innovative skateboarding title that literally turns your fingers into the skater. There's a very limited number of tricks you can do, and only one real skate park, but it's still a blast to kill some time with. Highly recommended for skateboarding game fans.

Snail Mail - Game - 7.5/10 - Control a little snail dude with your finger in a 3D rail-shooter-esque space, dodging shit and collecting mail. It's pretty addictive and has some decent visuals.

Those are all I have for now, but I got an early Christmas present... A $50 iTunes Gift Card, so I just bought like 20 new games and apps that I'll be able to review. In the meantime, I'll update the OP.

Dacvak

pdk27 said:
Anybody play Monopoly yet? Is it any good?

Monopoly - Game - 9/10 - This is the modern version of Monopoly with a worldly-named board, but it's still plays like classic Monopoly. The visuals are fantastic, and everything has a nice polish. The controls work very well, and there are multiple levels of difficulty for the computers. Features WiFi multiplayer, as well. The only problem is being patient and having to wait for your turn. =P Also, when you're about to go in debt and need to pay someone, there is an auto-mortgage/sell button that intelligently and strategically sells enough to get you out of the red. A fantastic addition. Every bit as good as the real board game, and at a fraction of the cost.

Anno

Dropship- Described by developer ngmoco as a combination of Galaxy Wars and Thrust. Neat retro graphics and, after about 30 minutes of running into everything, amazingly adept controls for what we have to work with on the iPhone. A structured campaign on increasingly difficult levels (with additional, downloadable levels (3 already!)), and an arcade style endless freeplay mode. It's easily worth every cent of the $1.99 that I paid for it and I'm very impressed with the control you finally gain over your ship. it's the first time I've played a game on the iPhone that's even remotely fast-paced that I felt in control of. Lots of props to the upcoming developer.

2DMention

Banned
Downloading the iPod application right now.

Price is Right is on sale, so I'll be definitely getting that.

Any impressions on I Love Katamari or the Zen Pinball games?

Dragnet

Update for Katamari is out. 83.9mb. Seems to remedy most of the framerate issues, it appears to make the ball move faster as it grows in size now too :D Only issues is, it doesn't let you calibrate the iPods position anymore, so you always have to lean it at an awkward angle. Impossible to play lying on my back in bed now! :(

Makes i love katamari a worthwhile purchase though now, imo. Do it!

Gowans

been on a huge spree after Rolando kicked off my interest as using my iPhone as a portable gaming device.

I now have in all:

• Rolando
  • Fieldrunners
  • SimCity
  • Topple
  • Touchgrind
  • Bejewled 2
  • wurdle
  • Motion PokerX
  • Monopoly
  • Uno
  • Monkey Ball
  • CritterCrunch
  • Tap Tap
  • Dr. Awesome
  • Trism
  • Texas Hold'em
  • Aura Fient
  • Tris
  • Maze Finger
  • BBD2 Trial
  • Dactyl
  • Papi Jump
  • Dropship
  • Galcon Lite
  • LineRider
  • AquaForest
  • Jellycard

Added
  • Tiki Tower

Shit guess I am set

2DMention

Banned
Shit O'mighty it takes forever to restore your ipod music & videos after the update.

One thing I hate about iTunes is that you can't re-download anything like Wii store and XBLA. So if your computer wipes or you upgrade your iPod, you're fucked.

Tobor

2DMention said:
Shit O'mighty it takes forever to restore your ipod music & videos after the update.

One thing I hate about iTunes is that you can't re-download anything like Wii store and XBLA. So if your computer wipes or you upgrade your iPod, you're fucked.

Backup your hard drive.

Dragnet

2DMention said:

SERIOUSLY?! I'm getting an iPhone for Xmas after using my iPod Touch for the past year...I'll lose all my apps?!

LCfiner

2DMention said:

backup your computer.

everyone should do this anyway.

if you're concerned with itunes purchases only, there's a menu option in itunes to back those up.
Dragnet said:
SERIOUSLY?! I'm getting an iPhone for Xmas after using my iPod Touch for the past year...I'll lose all my apps?!

No! apps can be re-downloaded. music cannot.

Tobor

Dragnet said:

No, that part of his statement was ridiculous. The apps are tied to your account.

This is going off topic, though.

Buy 7 cities TD.

Gowans

2DMention said:

Huh I thought it was just like XBLA or steam (it even tells me if I already have something), can someone explain please?

Dragnet

LCfiner said:
backup your computer.

everyone should do this anyway.

if you're concerned with itunes purchases only, there's a menu option in itunes to back those up.

No! apps can be re-downloaded. music cannot.

Oh....phew. Thanks for clearing that up, I just shat brix!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Gowans007 said:
Huh I thought it was just like XBLA or steam (it even tells me if I already have something), can someone explain please?

For applications and games at least, I thought everything I've read online indicates you can re-downloaded them as many times as you like, so that they can be deleted for space concerns on the iPod and then downloaded again later.

windfish

i bought Tiki Towers (world of goo-like) a few days ago and it is great fun! Decent amount of levels and awesome presentation for just 0,99$/0,79€! You really cant fo wrong with it.

Gowans007 said:
Yep, that's how it works.

Provided you're signed into iTunes with the account you originally made the purchase, click "buy app", and iTunes pops up a message telling you you've already purchased this item, and asks would you like to download it again (no charge).

If need be, use iTunes store front --> quick links --> account --> purchase history to help jog your memory on everything you've previously purchased.

Dacvak

7 Cities - Game - 9.1/10 - A fantastic TD game with original art, and a medieval feel. 5 base weapons with upgrades, and dynamic enemies. About 7 different maps with varying levels of difficulty. The best TD on the iPhone so far, just beating out Fieldrunners.

X-Plane Helicopter/Airliner - Game - 8.5/10 - Much like the original X-Plane, these are beautiful apps. However, with these two new renditions, there is definitely more to learn and it feels a bit more cluttered. Some might actually find this more enjoyable. It boils down to this, though; Helicopter and Airliner are for the hardcore flight sim lovers, which the original X-Plane can be enjoyed by everyone.

I like how this thread just comes back from the dead every once and a while. I think the other thread is so cluttered, but whatever. =P

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I dont know if they're still on sale, but I bought 7 Cities and The Creeps for my girlfriend last night and they're both great tower defense games. Tapdefense is great too if you're looking to get into the TD genre, especially since it's free. Fieldrunners is my favorite of them all though.

I have to give 7 Cities more play time since it seems like it has longevity based on the stuff you can unlock.

BTW, sale prices were $1.99 for 7 Cities and $0.99 for The Creeps. $3 for two great tower defense games were a no brainer. Best deal you can find on the store

Fantastical

Death Prophet
whatdidyousay said:
Bejeweled - I play this almost all the time whenever I'm waiting somewhere and I'm in the mood for a game. Oddly therapeutic.
This. A thousand times this. Bejeweled is my most played iPod Touch game by a lot. This would only be changed if Peggle came to iPhones.

mandiller

Galcon - I can testify this game is brilliant. So far it's my favourite game. It's a little like risk but real time and in space. Lots of strategy and matches can take anywhere between 30 seconds and five minutes. The included online play is a must!

Sim City - A great port of Sim City 3000. Works just as you'd expect it to. The latest version fixes pretty much all the bugs. If you're a Sim City fan it is definitely worth it.

dork

Banned
Scrable is probably the best purchase I made, except the fact it makes the startup noise even with sounds disabled

Top Bottom