• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Red

I think I'm skipping this year. Portrait selfies feel like such a boring selling point. I'm disappointed the 8 plus doesn't get the wider aperture lens or OIS. New AppleTV looks nice anyway.

Might have bought if it was 128GB at $1000.

God, portrait lighting also feels like a slap in the face. It's apple playing with themselves. Computational portrait mode is a great addition to smartphone photos, because they can't normally achieve that. Now we're simulating light? That's the new feature? As if that couldn't be done before?

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm in for space grey 256GB. I think. I'm not sure. A bit more hesitant than I thought it would be. The later release screws with my upgrade plans a little and I don't really dig either of the colors. We'll see.

Anyone know how generous Apple are with battery replacements under AppleCare+? My 6S battery life is struggling.

unrealist

They didn't mention the new aspect ratio and how existing apps will fit it. I know LG and Samsung phones have a crop and stretch to fit option, forcing apps to fill the screen. Will iphone X have this?

If we put the pricing aside for a minute.
I can´t put my finger on it, but something about it... I am just not feeling it.

It´s not the notch, I think.
It looks a bit clumsy... I don´t know, I think I need to see more videos on it hands on.

First impression is not as good as I was expecting it to look.

From the pictures I've seen it is just an ugly looking phone.

Irminsul

It uses IR, so skin color shouldn't matter. This also lets it function in the dark/low light.
As I said on the first page, I do wonder how it works in direct sunlight, though. Because that should influence the IR sensor (at least it does for Windows Hello, which at least uses a very similar technique).

TOE61YH.jpg

highrider

Banned
It's nice, but I'm still enjoying my 7 plus. I'm not actually on board for the no bezel design, it looks cool but I kid of prefer the older style stuff.

I'm in for space grey 256GB. I think. I'm not sure. A bit more hesitant than I thought it would be. The later release screws with my upgrade plans a little and I don't really dig either of the colors. We'll see.

Anyone know how generous Apple are with battery replacements under AppleCare+? My 6S battery life is struggling.

Your battery has to actually fail their diagnostics test

November.

People can balk at that price but all the phone companies will do their damnedest to incentivize and subsidize the phone so people can be talking poop emojis.

My question is can I adjust the display size for video so it's not wrapping out the front camera stuff?

Honestly I'm about to jump on the Apple trade up program. I've been on Samsung for a while and love their phones. Currently S7 Edge. But it's getting to the point nowadays with phone releases that they hold no value past a year, maybe two if you're lucky. So the days of buying, using and reselling your phone for a nice chunk of change are over. Which makes these prices even harder to stomach. May as well get the latest and greatest all the time if I'm going to be paying through the nose for it anyway.

As far as videos, I'd assume it will automatically put some kind of borders for proper 16:9

a916

Side by side pictures make the X a no brainer... but $1700 here in Canada (incl tax that is) is a hard sell. iPhone 8 looks archaic compared to the big bold screen.

I can stomach the 64GB X though.

Exile20

The black at the top looks stupid. I am not apple lover but they could have just continue the black across the phone. Would have looked so much better.

ec0ec0

the top of the screen (to the right/left of the front camera) turning to black, seemed so obvious to me.

Would probably look dramatically better.

And they keep it like that (without turning it to black), even when using the phone horizontally? even with pictures, and even worse, while watching videos?

there's no way they haven't thought about it.

i need 128, they get rid of that
ill never fill 256
but will have to pay 1150$ plus tax

if i had the X now it would scan a sad monkey animoji

Kreed

I'm interested in seeing how well the iPhone X sells vs the iPhone 8. Just from the name alone, I could see people assuming the 8 is the best version to upgrade to from their iPhone 7 and below without being more informed.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
day 1.

only real complaint (I am 100% fine with the notch) is that it isn't bezel-less. the top and bottom bezels are greatly reduced, but compared to the current samsungs and such it still has noticeable bezels.

but I'm nitpicking. waking up at 2am in October to grab this thing.

biggest selling point is the screen on an iOS device. I am a huge proponent of FaceID (provided it works at fairly severe angles on the table). Also LOVE that I get portrait mode in the 5" form factor

VanWinkle

I think it's a pretty awesome looking phone, though I'm not sold on the look of the back. I do genuinely think the S8 has a better design, both on the front and the back.

But I'm just happy to see a genuine step forward design wise for an iPhone. It's been too long.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Dat Canadian pricing. $1000 USD converts to $1218 CAD. Why is apple charging $1318?

PeterGAF

Banned
the top of the screen (to the right/left of the front camera) turning to black, seemed so obvious to me.

Would probably look dramatically better.

And they keep it like that (without turning it to black), even when using the phone horizontally? even with pictures, and even worse, while watching videos?

there's no way they haven't thought about it.
I refuse to believe that there isn't a toggle in the settings somewhere that just blacks it out. I can't believe they wouldn't think about that. It looks so weird and it would be such a simple little fix!

3N16MA

Banned
I will eventually own whatever version they have of this phone in the future. For now my current iPhone is getting the job done.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
$1000 for 64GB of storage? loooooool

I currently have 64GB.. combined with an iCloud storage plan I have never once ran into storage issues, and that's with hours of shot video. I honestly could never get myself to pay a premium for more storage than that.

Top Bottom