• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

emag

Me Mix 2 is way better and cheaper.

xiaomi-mi-mix-2-hero.jpg

Eh, Mi Mix 1 was a hot mess in practice. I doubt Mi Mix 2 will be much better, even if it does look great.

Feel free to report back once you've spent some time using one.

Looks like you double press the button, the face id unlocks it almost instantly, and then you just put it to the pay terminal. Why is that so hard? It's probably the exact same motion as it is currently, unless you do everything in your pocket and pay without ever looking at the screen

On my S8 I literally just touch the scanner while I'm pulling the phone out my pocket and present the phone.

Having to double press a button, look at the screen to see an authentication and then present is nowhere near as convenient or fast.

Apple users who are used to being able to unlock their phone using touch I'D while it's sitting on a table will also be frustrated that they now need to pick up and look at the phone.

Just trust me.

Fave unlocking as the only bio.etric is going to get under peoples skin quickly.

pislit

Will the iPhone X line be continued together with the normal numbered ones? Or will it take over the iPhone line like MacBook Air did to MacBook then again with the latter to the former? Is this a one-time thing? On-screen touch ID isn't ready for primetime yet😢

I think it might be more sensible this year to get the 8 on an Upgrade Program and then make the call next year, considering the improvements they unveil for the X-2 or whatever it'll be called

number11

Seeing those comparison pics has me tempted. The plus is way too big for me, but a smaller phone than a plus but with a bigger screen?

kingocfs

Me Mix 2 is way better and cheaper.

xiaomi-mi-mix-2-hero.jpg

It has a chin, but the navigation buttons still sit below the "home row" of app icons on the screen? Easily my least favorite thing about Android's design. When I had the 1+1 I turned that shit off immediately since it had "physical" buttons...does this also have that?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
On my S8 I literally just touch the scanner while I'm pulling the phone out my pocket and present the phone.

Having to double press a button, look at the screen to see an authentication and then present is nowhere near as convenient or fast.

Apple users who are used to being able to unlock their phone using touch I'D while it's sitting on a table will also be frustrated that they now need to pick up and look at the phone.

Just trust me.

Fave unlocking as the only bio.etric is going to get under peoples skin quickly.

pulling the phone out of your pocket and placing it against the terminal is virtually no less effort than clicking the lock button twice and placing it against the terminal. beyond that you don't do anything.

the phone unlocks while sitting on a table. they literally showed it in the videos.

the ONLY question is how far of an angle can it be on the table..

but the apple pay thing is nothing. the big motion (pulling it out of your pocket) is still the same.. you've already clicked the button by the time it's at the reader, and there is no "step" for facial recognition. it happens automatically as a part of the process.

Just trust me.

Everyone would have thought the lack of a headphone jack would have bothered people too, but the iPhone 7 did great sales-wise. So there's no safe assumption here.

Ashhong

Just trust me.

You already have to double touch a button with the current iPhones. My point is, having to hold it a few degrees different to see your face is not a big deal.

People complained about using finger prints to unlock a phone also, until Apple came in and showed everyone how it's done.

Lol at just trust me. Ok dude.

samn

How's reachability going to work on the X?
����

can't see why double tap wouldnt work

You already have to double touch a button with the current iPhones.

It's not a double touch. It's single press, and if you turn on rest to unlock (everyone should) then you can do this without pressing at all after raising to wake/sleep button wake

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You already have to double touch a button with the current iPhones. My point is, having to hold it a few degrees different to see your face is not a big deal.

People complained about using finger prints to unlock a phone also, until Apple came in and showed everyone how it's done.

Lol at just trust me. Ok dude.

you don't :p I'm laughing because my buddy thought the same thing. You CAN double tap to bring it up.. but NFC turns on just by putting it by the reader also.

the Watch you have to double tap.. and honestly I use the watch for like 99% of apple pay payments (the exception being people who have the square readers attached to the counter and inconveniently placed to use my watch).. yes, it's not a big deal.. you literally double tap as you start the transaction, before you get to the part where you actually pay.

Double tap on what though? There's no home button.

Oddly enough, I've only used reachability like five or six times ever on my 6+. lol

they already mentioned this in the keynote. You double tap the lock button to bring up apple pay. that's it. it will automatically unlock as you pay.

I think it might be more sensible this year to get the 8 on an Upgrade Program and then make the call next year, considering the improvements they unveil for the X-2 or whatever it'll be called

not a bad idea.. might go with a red 7 instead of an 8 tho

can't make up my mind

lol I didn't even think about grabbing a phone and then pointing it at the owner's face to unlock it. that's baaaaaaaaaaaaad

They claimed in the keynote that you had to actually be looking at the phone for it to unlock. We couldn't see if that was the case in the Verge video or not. Would be a bad oversight.

kiguel182

I really hope they adjust prices next year. They are definitely pushing it with this one even if monthly payments make it easier I guess.

pulling the phone out of your pocket and placing it against the terminal is virtually no less effort than clicking the lock button twice and placing it against the terminal. beyond that you don't do anything.

the phone unlocks while sitting on a table. they literally showed it in the videos.

the ONLY question is how far of an angle can it be on the table..

but the apple pay thing is nothing. the big motion (pulling it out of your pocket) is still the same.. you've already clicked the button by the time it's at the reader, and there is no "step" for facial recognition. it happens automatically as a part of the process.

Having to look at the phone before you can present it is a step.

Showing it unlockimg on a table in their videos isn't real life.

Everyone would have thought the lack of a headphone jack would have bothered people too, but the iPhone 7 did great sales-wise. So there's no safe assumption here.

People dont spend all day buying and plugging headphones into their phone.

They do spend all day accessing their phone.

I'm telling you, as a person who has a phone with facial recognition capabilities, that having to loom at the phone in every situation to unlock the phone will get old and annoying veeery fast.

ZeroX03

Banned
you would be shocked at how many people don't realize this :D a ton of apple pay users double tap the home button :p

My friend never used Touch ID because he said it took just as long as a passcode. Turns out he was pressing the power button, then swiping to bring up unlock screen (older iOS) and then putting his finger on it. Never occurred to him to just press the home button.

Ashhong

can't see why double tap wouldnt work

It's not a double touch. It's single press, and if you turn on rest to unlock (everyone should) then you can do this without pressing at all after raising to wake/sleep button wake

you don't :p I'm laughing because my buddy thought the same thing. You CAN double tap to bring it up.. but NFC turns on just by putting it by the reader also.

the Watch you have to double tap.. and honestly I use the watch for like 99% of apple pay payments (the exception being people who have the square readers attached to the counter and inconveniently placed to use my watch).. yes, it's not a big deal.. you literally double tap as you start the transaction, before you get to the part where you actually pay.

they already mentioned this in the keynote. You double tap the lock button to bring up apple pay. that's it. it will automatically unlock as you pay.

My bad, I don't use it ever so I didn't know NFC brought it up automatically. With that as an option then, wouldn't it be safe to assume the X works the same way? So you don't have to press anything, take it out, put it against the reader, and look at the phone once at some point to authorize it.

What they should have done with the notch is not extend the ears, and just have the left and right always have a black background. It's an OLED screen so nobody would be able to tell, and just have the time/battery always showing.

People dont spend all day buying and plugging headphones into their phone.

They do spend all day accessing their phone.

I'm telling you, as a person who has a phone with facial recognition capabilities, that having to loom at the phone in every situation to unlock the phone will get old and annoying veeery fast.

This is different tech than all of those. So your use case examples aren't as relevant. So it remains to be seen how it will work in real world use. We'll just have to find out over time.

Top Bottom