• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

ZeroX03

Banned
I honestly think that looks even worse. Maybe it wouldn’t look as bad if the menu icons were up there, but I prefer the notch versus just a black bar like that

This is what the music app looks like on iPhone X. I quite like it. Darker colors and especially blacks blend much nicer. The apps with just white ears at the top look weird.

musicapprps61.png

Apt101

I'll get an 8 once they're in stock locally. Not interested in the X since it won't have the Touch ID apparently.

The main issue I have is that Apple were lauding this as the future of smartphones, even bringing up a quote Jobs said about not going where the ouck is but where its going.

However, I see nothing in the iphone X that isnt already in phones now. Samsungs have had borderless OLEDs for years. Face unlocking actually looks more inconvienient, and slower, than touch id. You have to look AND swipe up now. With touch id you only needed to hold down your finger lightly.

Plus how they sheepishly announced wireless charging, at least 3/4 YEARS behind Samsung etc, with no rationale as to why they didnt do this sooner.

I think this is the first time they are actually playing catchup to other manufacturers. Be interesting to see the reception to these products.

hiim_haz

Banned
This one seems half baked. Waiting until they drop the one next year with the finger print sensor embedded in the screen. Also LOL at that Canadian price.

lol I didn't even think about grabbing a phone and then pointing it at the owner's face to unlock it. that's baaaaaaaaaaaaad

Yeah, that's bad. There needs to be an option for FaceID to lock your phone if it detects someone else's face and changing the "Auto-Lock" setting should requite a pin.

Fucking stunning, this and the s8 really have ushered a new phase in phone design, never was a fan of bezels ok n large phones and I'm glad to see the tech finally breaking through that barrier.

s8 sold a ton, but this beast will break records.

The demand for this, even at the price point they are selling at, will be through the fucking roof. I hope they have made enough because they will sell so many of these things.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The main issue I have is that Apple were lauding this as the future of smartphones, even bringing up a quote Jobs said about not going where the ouck is but where its going.

However, I see nothing in the iphone X that isnt already in phones now. Samsungs have had borderless OLEDs for years. Face unlocking actually looks more inconvienient, and slower, than touch id. You have to look AND swipe up now. With touch id you only needed to hold down your finger lightly.

Plus how they sheepishly announced wireless charging, at least 3/4 YEARS behind Samsung etc, with no rationale as to why they didnt do this sooner.

I think this is the first time they are actually playing catchup to other manufacturers. Be interesting to see the reception to these products.

It'll sell like hotcakes no matter what. And not because of "sheeple," but because the X is a tremendously sleek device - and while late, it brings together the last bits of remaining tech that the competition "has" over Apple. And they did it well.

That said, I do agree with you. The comments about this being the direction phones are headed is really blind... this is the direction phones have already gone. Period.

I am surprised not many people complaining about the back and that camera bump + position. Looks like Chinese knock off.

I used to think it was not a big deal. I don't want to switch from ios, but I hate, hate, hate it on my current iphone. Never thought it'd bother me, but when it sits on its back on my desk and the slightest movement makes it wobble like a shitty table in an outside cafe, it really irritates me for some reason! I always leave my phones 'naked' but I think I will start using a cover just to fix this.

DOWN

Banned

Eh let’s not play dumb. Wireless charging was put into phones before it was particularly fast compared to what it is now. OLEDs are better than they were a couple years ago. You only need to swipe on the default setting to unlock as far as I understand (like Touch ID makes you click home to unlock if you are using the current default setting - just a light touch to unlock which you are talking about, is an option you have to select).

All combined, Apple thinks they waited until all these things were good enough and cheap enough to work into their design.

It would feel really different actually holding the phone, since it's a pane into another reality, but I agree. The AR stuff they showed off was lacking. The game wasn't as much augmented as it was using the phone to look at something virtual.

I think the really cool type of AR I'm waiting for requires 3D long-distance proximity detection, on the back of the phone.

I don't think any of the current flagship phones out there have that. Most of them only have proximity detectors on the front of the phone just to detect if it's in your pocket or or up against your ear when talking.

I think a dual sensor (for 3D), rear-facing, long-range proximity detector will be the next feature for Samsung and Apple to fight over and that's what will usher in true AR gaming.

The current tech is cool, but you need that proximity scanner on the back of the phone to really use it as a window into real-time, real world AR - to recognize real world objects on the fly and morph them and induce an object collision engine with CGI stuff.

Still waiting...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Fucking stunning, this and the s8 really have ushered a new phase in phone design, never was a fan of bezels ok n large phones and I'm glad to see the tech finally breaking through that barrier.

The demand for this, even at the price point they are selling at, will be through the fucking roof. I hope they have made enough because they will sell so many of these things.

Are you blind? The bezels are even more noticeable than on the 8.

The iPhone X seems like proof of concept for next year's phones and the 8 seems like a stopgap because the X isn't cheap or polished enough to attract all the buyers they need. I'm not upgrading til next year anyway so I hope they figure out the issues (no touch ID, high price) then.

The iPhone X seems like proof of concept for next year's phones and the 8 seems like a stopgap because the X isn't cheap or polished enough to attract all the buyers they need. I'm not upgrading til next year anyway so I hope they figure out the issues (no touch ID, high price) then.

I don't see what's not polished about the X. Odds are next year the only "new" phone will be an X plus or whatever with bigger screen. At most the basic iPhone will get OLED and that's it.

I'm sort of disappointed with the bezels, larger than I expected from the leaked renders. The hump doesn't seem that bad though of apps account for it properly.

Really? I think a large portion of the sentiment here is negative. I'm a big Apple guy - 2 iMacs, Macbook Air, 3 iPhones, iPad Air 2, and I thought this was incredibly disappointing.

Breakage

I just watched the Verge hands-on; you can simply point the X at the owner's face to unlock it? How the hell is that more secure than a traditional pin? A lot of new features seem like gimmicks that have no real purpose.

The notch looks awful. It's as if part of the screen has been chipped off in an accident.

You better not be caught sleeping because your SO will open with just your face and see all the dick pics you been sending out. Hahaha

Eyes have to be open for it to work

Really? I think a large portion of the sentiment here is negative. I'm a big Apple guy - 2 iMacs, Macbook Air, 3 iPhones, iPad Air 2, and I thought this was incredibly disappointing.

I've learned long ago that NeoGAF sentiment almost never equals popular sentiment.

jeffram

I have a relative that works at a telecom and she gives me free phones every now and again that I do nothing with.

I have a 6, a 6+ (using that) and a 7 with a cracked screen she just gave me.

Will I be able to sell those and get an X?

I don't see what's not polished about the X. Odds are next year the only "new" phone will be an X plus or whatever with bigger screen. At most the basic iPhone will get OLED and that's it.

We know they wanted to embed the touch id into the display but were unable to do it in time. Of course they have to say how good face id is but i think once they crack it, embedded touch ID will be back and be the better option.

yes but they do not include a 29W adapter that is needed.

I mean you are 100% talking through your ass at this point just to doom and gloom because.. let's see some reviews before we we start making baseless claims. unless you are willing to eat crow in two months.

It's not a fucking baseless claim to say that having to look at the screen isnt faster or more convenient than literally not have to do that while making a wireless payment.

Having extra steps can't be faster than not having to do those steps.

And as I said, for Apple users who are used to using touch ID all day every day, they WILL notice the different combinations of times and ways in which they can't unlock their phone like they used to due to the requirement of the face tech.

Whether you're using basic face recognition, iris scanning or the "Kinect in a phone" type authentication, looking at the screen is a requirement, where it isn't in touch if or any other phone with a print scanner and it WILL require a difference in many different circumstances

It's not a baseless statement to say that, it's common fucking sense.

No TouchID, Face ID seems like an iffy replacement, that fucking notch that cuts off video. I think next year they'll just scrap the design they've been using since the 6 and use the X design for their regular and plus phones.

border

Where have you been? People have complained that the iPhone doesn't have this or that Android feature at every product launch since like the 4S.

Apps, quality of software, Apple ecosystem, etc.

This isn't hard, guys.

None of that is worth a $500 premium. Especially the software (which from my experience everything is harder than it needs to be under the guise of simplicity) or the "ecosystem". Even if I bought into the ecosystem, I'd be using platform neutral software because locking functionality between whether your friends have iMessage or not really sucks.

HF2014

It looks... bad. Why still have a bezel? Why embrace the notch?

If you're going for an "all-screen" phone, go all the way.

Agree. Its not full screen. With the top where the camera is, man it will get on my nerve watching a video widescreen in it, constsntly seeing this black part.

Nice try apple, its a great 95% full screen phone.

DOWN

Banned
Lots of GAF seems to hate the phone but the press reactions seem very positive. Though many seem worried about how secure Face ID is despite saying it is working well on the demonstrators during intended use.

We know they wanted to embed the touch id into the display but were unable to do it in time. Of course they have to say how good face id is but i think once they crack it, embedded touch ID will be back and be the better option.

If FaceID works and is accepted by the public, it's entirely possible they abandon solving the TouchID problems and allocate those resources elsewhere.

I don't know why people see the return of TouchID as a guarantee.

RC0101

Gonna wait until the next version hits. I still want the fingerprint scanner even if the face recognition works as well as they claim.

KHarvey16

None of that is worth a $500 premium. Especially the software or the "ecosystem". Even if I bought into the ecosystem, I'd be using platform neutral software because locking functionality between whether your friends have iMessage or not really sucks.

Many millions of people disagree with you. And that's ok.

garath

I wish we would collectively refuse to pay $999 for a phone. Especially given Apple's penchant for restricting older models from new iOS. The more expensive they get the more ridiculous that is. A computer OS doesn't refuse to be installed on 4-5 year old technology. When you pay $1000 for a device I'd expect it to have legs.

Heck, I'm still using an iPad 2 at home. It's slower but perfectly usable. Lots of stuff I can't install though because it requires latest iOS.

Draper

That stainless steel siding...I feel it looks really gaudy

I've been a big Apple guy, but I think the entire design of the X is pretty unattractive.

Top Bottom