• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

DJ88

Better have a case or this will happen.I just don't see the point having glass back if people will cover it with to protect from breaking.

sony_xperia_z5.0.0.png

Was never a problem with my caseless 4.

Damon

Does this shitty mspaint mockup not look better than the X? It's straight up less visible screen and has bezels but IMHO looks better just by having corners and not having the camera notch. Plus you could do stereo front facing speakers or something if you really wanted to go all out.

Looks worse to me.

I have no problem with the notch, meh.

Owari

Because according to reports they have been trying to add that feature for a while now and I doubt they would just ditch all of the R&D that went into that. Additionally, when they add it back they will act as if it's a revolutionary new feature and people that love Apple will then flock to purchase the new version. It's not exactly unheard of for them to refine something and act like it's brand new to get sales.
I wouldn't believe some shaky reporting from a source that has no idea what they're talking about/purely making shit up for views.

Are you blind? The bezels are even more noticeable than on the 8.
Are you high? The only "bezel" on the X is in the camera notch.

Does this shitty mspaint mockup not look better than the X? It's straight up less visible screen and has bezels but IMHO looks better just by having corners and not having the camera notch. Plus you could do stereo front facing speakers or something if you really wanted to go all out.

I like the actual design more than this.

ZeroX03

Banned
The problem with paying that much for a phone is that its obscene. Youre inadvertently Supporting elitism and the superiority of the upper class. Some would say paying so much for a phone is morally wrong.

psssst: anything you buy is going into the pockets of the upper class.

Like I said, the approach the music app took is best. Black at the top for status bar, the rest is filled in.

This is what the music app looks like on iPhone X. I quite like it. Darker colors and especially blacks blend much nicer. The apps with just white ears at the top look weird.

musicapprps61.png

gamerMan

Woohoo! Instead of getting a Switch, Xbox X, and Playstation 4, I'm getting an IPhone X so it can unlock with my face. Plus, I can lick the the screen from edge to edge in front of other people who have cheaper phones.

Socivol

I wouldn't believe some shaky reporting from a source that has no idea what they're talking about/purely making shit up for views.

Are you high? The only "bezel" on the X is in the camera notch.

Only there were multiple reports and several of them from analysts that have a great track record with Apple news. More specifically I think it's true because the same reports said the more expensive iPhone would be launching later because of these issues and today we saw that was also true.

Better have a case or this will happen.I just don't see the point having glass back if people will cover it with to protect from breaking.

sony_xperia_z5.0.0.png

If you put a case on it it won't be able to wirelessly charge. No way I'm removing a case every time I want to charge. At that point it's easier to just plug in.

jm89

The X looks like it was design by a budget chinese manufacturer with that bit at the top. Hell some budget phones with bezeless design look better.

"Fuck it close enough" was the design philosophy.

deepsleep

Neo Member
Is the notch visible during video playback? Cause that would be a deal breaker for me.
Yes, at least that was the case in the video they demoed. I feel the same as you. It will probably be up to the developers to choose whether it shows in apps/videos, but I don't get the point of having an edge to edge display if there is something blocking the view.

Fredrik

Legit feel bad for anyone picking up an 8, lol

Why would they add something less secure than Face ID? Accept that it's dead and move on.
$300 more to get animated emojis and a new way of starting up the phone is just insanity imo. 999 USD dollars. For a phone. I was super hyped until they told us the price. Big mistake imo. I'd rather buy a new graphics card or an Xbox One X plus a bunch of games for the money

Oxn

People that tout wireless charging never used wireless charging. For one it charges slower, for 2 if you want to use it and charge, you gotta use it while its laying on the mat.

Fucking novelty.

Owari

Until there are speed tests comparing Touch ID and Face ID it'd probably be smart to stop talking shit about it.

Unless you like eating crow I guess.

kaskade

I'm really curious to see what the supply of these is going to be. I hope the delay is so they have a chance to have a nice stock, and build up their supply chain to make enough of them daily. I'd be disappointed if I have to wait a month and a half to get an order in then another month to actually get the phone.

jts

...hate me...

At a quick glance, that just looks like a 7 or a 8, and on closer look, a 7-8 iterative phone with a marginally smaller bezel. Definitely doesn't transmit the modern vibes of an expanded free-form display like the X, which looks next-gen.

Owari

$300 more to get animated emojis and a new way of starting up the phone is just insanity imo. 999 USD dollars. For a phone. I was super hyped until they told us the price. Big mistake imo. I'd rather buy a new graphics card or an Xbox One X plus a bunch of games for the money
$200 more. The base 8+ is $799. You're also getting a bigger, much better OLED screen, a much better front facing camera with portrait mode, and an actual resdesign VS more rehashed 2012 shit. iOS also gets a much needed facelift on the X.

People that tout wireless charging never used wireless charging. For one it charges slower, for 2 if you want to use it and charge, you gotta use it while its laying on the mat.

Fucking novelty.

it's not like once you wireless charge you can't go back to wired. if you want to charge it and use it just plug it in wtf is this

Mogwai

The X looks like it was design by a budget chinese manufacturer with that bit at the top. Hell some budget phones with bezeless design look better.

"Fuck it close enough" was the design philosophy.
And Jony Ive didn't even say "meticulous" in the product video... Apple must be losing focus.

MercuryLS3

Yes, at least that was the case in the video they demoed. I feel the same as you. It will probably be up to the developers to choose whether it shows in apps/videos, but I don't get the point of having an edge to edge display if there is something blocking the view.

That's a big flaw i think, will be interesting to see how Youtube and Netflix handle it.

I love everything about this iPhone so far but the Focus on AR on apple's part is just disgusting.

I mean the main iPhone X showcase is 1:30 long and they waste 10 fucking seconds in a crappy AR game like its the coolest feature ever..

gross

ZeroX03

Banned
For people worried about video playback, there's an option to letterbox so the notch doesn't crop it, even at resolutions wider than 16:9.

To clarify: this is wider than normal video (not the kind you would normally watch) and played at low quality in harsh lighting.

musicapp90seh.png

When you record videos or take photos on it, does the camera letterbox the two corners so you can see the full screen image?

It would really suck if you're trying to take a family photo and you can't tell if people on the far left end are in the image or not because of the stupid notch.

You'll wind up moving the camera off-center to get everyone in the image and you'll have to go back and crop out the wasted image area.

Fucking novelty.
It's the one thing I miss most about my note 7 (the other being the customization of the OS)

I had a charger that was stand up. Yeah it was slower than a cable but it was also a lot easier to just set it down on a dock than to work with a cable. Not that plugging in a cable is in any way a pain in the butt with usbc or lightning

nerdypixel

Neo Member
$200 more. The base 8+ is $799. You're also getting a bigger, much better OLED screen, a much better front facing camera with portrait mode, and an actual resdesign VS more rehashed 2012 shit. iOS also gets a much needed facelift on the X.

It's too early to speak about "better" screens. There's info X's display is 2 times less bright than Note's (600 vs 1200 nits)

Owari

It is compared to other phones like the Mi Max or the S8
But those phones have giant ugly top and bottom bezels

Speed != Convenience/Versatility
Yeah I love not being able to unlock my phone unless I have completely dry hands. Also love how 1 in 50,000 people can unlock my shit with touchID VS 1 and 1,000,000 with FaceID.

It's new technology. To make room for the new the old has to die. If you're content using old shit that's your problem.

Dandte

After talking with some friends i decided to get the 8 with 256 gb....i would prefer a x but the money on top is just too much. I love my brick called 6s plus. The X looks way better but i can handle the size (enter smirk animoji fox) and since i don't shoot many selfies i don't need the improved front camera. So 300€ more for an animated fox and a slightly better looking phone....nah. Better buy an apple watch.

Top Bottom