• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Crazyorloco

Legit feel bad for anyone picking up an 8, lol

Why would they add something less secure than Face ID? Accept that it's dead and move on.

1 in 50,000 isn't that bad on Touch ID. Plus I can just grab your Iphone x and point it at your face and it's unlocked.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I used a Samsung phone for two years and it kind of soured me on ever wanting to use one regularly again. I'm just not a fan of their design philosophies, both on a hardware (throw as much shit at the wall and see what sticks even if none of it is fully developed) and software (TouchWiz is horrendous and they've continually made it harder to break away from) front.

Which phone did you have? TouchWiz on the S8 has come a long way even from the S7.

KHarvey16

Apple definitely has an advantage with their chips over Qualcomm, but I don't need any extra power for YouTube / Mint / Reddit / Kindle / Netflix.

I guess if you are really interested in AR games, get the X?

This is why "what does my extra $x get me?" is an entirely subjective question. Features you don't care about are worth $0. Features you do care about are assigned some value depending on how important they are to you personally.

BFIB

It really seemed like Apple wanted to go bezel less, but didn't want to flat out copy Samsung's design (which has this down), and went with this instead.

Okay, forget the Mi Mix 2. Look at this:

galaxy-s8-plus_gallery_front_black_s4.png

Same size screen as the X, OLED, no "notch", headphone jack, expandable storage. Also keeps the fingerprint scanner for those who see Face ID as a negative.

$650. What is that extra $350 getting you?

It ain't Apple tho

better camera (and dual cameras)
less bezel and more screen
state of the art facial scanning unlike samsungs fake bullshit that even they admit doesn't work
iOS and not android
you'll get all of apple's OS updates instantly
A11 destroys everything else
better battery life than the s8
same screen size but smaller body than the s8
3D Touch, whether you use it a lot or not it's a feature
taptic engine beats any android internal shit for vibration tech
better speakers by far
consistent performance as time goes on/better memory management/more things open at once/etc... I guess this fits in the iOS bullet point so this is cheating.

I can probably go on. I mean no one has to get the X, no one has to like it, but to act like it isn't way more premium is pretty insane to me.

The screen has a lower brightness than the S8 and Note 8. That is indeed a negative in comparison.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
This is why "what does my extra $x get me?" is an entirely subjective question. Features you don't care about are worth $0. Features you do care about are assigned some value depending on how important they are to you personally.

I understand that. I'm just saying that I feel like there are many people out there who won't get any value out of that extra power but will spend the extra money anyway.

ronco2000

I used a Samsung phone for two years and it kind of soured me on ever wanting to use one regularly again. I'm just not a fan of their design philosophies, both on a hardware (throw as much shit at the wall and see what sticks even if none of it is fully developed) and software (TouchWiz is horrendous and they've continually made it harder to break away from) front.

Nova Launcher. Break away.

Owari

Wasn't iPhone 8 $699?
The OLED is great I suppose but I've never had any issues with the current screens. Having a bigger screen is not only a positive, I went from 6 Plus to 7 because 6 Plus was often annoyingly big in a pocket, X looked even taller judging by the presentation.
But in the end the elephant in the room is the "999 US Dollars!" pricing that is the problem. It's like buying a $3500 TV, I'm sure it's great but it's simply not worth the money.
To you maybe, but $200 isn't a deal breaker to 99% of iPhone owners.

mackattk

People that tout wireless charging never used wireless charging. For one it charges slower, for 2 if you want to use it and charge, you gotta use it while its laying on the mat.

Fucking novelty.

Well if you want to charge fast or actively use it while charging.. no shit wireless charging isn't the solution.

If you want to charge it while sleeping, charge it while working, or if you have a new car with wireless charging, charge while driving... Wireless charging is convenient as hell. Don't have to bother plugging it in, dealing with the cords or trying to find the plug especially in the dark. Just set it down on the pad and let it do it's thing.

Which phone did you have? TouchWiz on the S8 has come a long way even from the S7.

A Note 3. Admittedly it was a long time ago and I'm sure the software has gotten better, but I had a really frustrating time with it. And in my short demos with newer devices, it has not ever immediately jumped out to me as a solved problem.

jts

...hate me...
It really seemed like Apple wanted to go bezel less, but didn't want to flat out copy Samsung's design (which has this down), and went with this instead.
It has less bezel than Samsung's, though.

ZeroX03

Banned
I understand that. I'm just saying that I feel like there are many people out there who won't get any value out of that extra power but will spend the extra money anyway.

It's not your job to actually try and enlighten people or steer their way to some other product, you know that?

Unless you're a Samsung sales rep, in which case I suppose it is your job and carry on.

KHarvey16

"Extra power" isn't the only difference. Build quality. Feel. Ecosystem. Other features. Accessory compatibility.

It's ok if you don't want it. You don't have to come up with reasons for why other people are dumb or getting tricked if they do want it.

The iPhone seems to have a better screen to body ratio. It has the notch, but the GS8 has the edges which themselves definitely have drawbacks.

Kintaco

Just to clear things up, that Face ID failure was not because of a restart. It would specifically mention the restart. Try it on your iPhone. Now try to log in with the wrong finger with TouchID. It eventually gives the same message that was on stage.

https://youtu.be/m7xmCCTVS7Q

Not a big deal but makes me think Face ID will be problematic in certain situations.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
It has less bezel than Samsung's, though.

Really depends how you look at it.

On sides? Nah it doesn't.

On bottom? Sure

On top? lol that one is tricky. I very much prefer Samsung's approach

Strakt

Same size screen as the X, OLED, no "notch", headphone jack, expandable storage. Also keeps the fingerprint scanner for those who see Face ID as a negative.

iOS amongst other things? I have the s8+ and ill prob still get the iphone x. No need to be a fanboy and derail the thread.

But those phones have giant ugly top and bottom bezels

Yeah I love not being able to unlock my phone unless I have completely dry hands. Also love how 1 in 50,000 people can unlock my shit with touchID VS 1 and 1,000,000 with FaceID.

It's new technology. To make room for the new the old has to die. If you're content using old shit that's your problem.

How is this a new tech?

Significantly better CPU/GPU and cameras.

nerdypixel

Neo Member

Apple solution is arguably better, as curved parts of S8's screen are basically useless and do not display any information other than background of apps

Owari

Just to clear things up, that Face ID failure was not because of a restart. It would specifically mention the restart. Try it on your iPhone. Now try to log in with the wrong finger with TouchID. It eventually gives the same message that was on stage.

Not a big deal but makes me think Face ID will be problematic in certain situations.
Touch ID doesn't always work the first try either. But we can pretend it does!

A Note 3. Admittedly it was a long time ago and I'm sure the software has gotten better, but I had a really frustrating time with it. And in my short demos with newer devices, it has not ever immediately jumped out to me as a solved problem.

I was wondering why your beefs sounded at a minimum three generations old lol.

The note 3 might as well be made by a different manufacturer.

Flo_Evans

Yeah I watched it again and he switches to a whole other phone and says "lets go to backup"

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
It's not your job to actually try and enlighten people or steer their way to some other product, you know that?

Unless you're a Samsung sales rep, in which case I suppose it is your job and carry on.

I'm just trying to add my point of view to the discussion.

I was wondering why your beefs sounded at a minimum three generations old lol.

The note 3 might as well be made by a different manufacturer.

And I understand that completely. But when I've had an iPhone for a few years and personally experienced a fraction of the issues and less of the headache, I'm not exactly jumping at the idea of going back.

finalflame

Yes, because non-production hardware and software are indicative of the performance and quality of the final production versions.

We'll know if it's reliable or not once people/reviewers have a few days with the final hardware and software, and not a second before. More importantly, we definitely don't know right now.

Top Bottom