• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASUS ROG Ally X rumored to cost $799, only Ryzen Z1 Extreme version planned

Bernoulli

M2 slut

ASUS ROG Ally X with the same APU and screen, new black chassis and higher price​

ASUS-ROG-ALLY-X-HERO-1200x624.jpg

ASUS has not yet provided the full specs of the updated ROG Ally console. The model, called ROG Ally X, is said to be an upgraded version of the ROG Ally 2023 model with no changes to the processor or screen. However, it will have new baseline specs.
The Ally X will only launch with Ryzen Z1 Extreme; there is no Z1 non-Extreme APU model planned. This means that those expecting to buy the new Ally at a sub $300-400 price will have to look for the 2023 model, as the X is unlikely to meet that price point anytime soon. Furthermore, the X variant will only be available with a 1TB SSD, while the current version comes with 512GB by default.

ASUS ROG Ally X details​

• APU: AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme
  • Screen: 7″ FHD 120Hz
  • Battery: 40%+ Larger than 40Wh
  • SSD: M.2 2280 support
  • Memory: More than 16GB (24GB, 32GB?)
  • Weight: Heavier than ROG Ally 2023
  • Chassis: black shell with more ergonomic design
  • MSRP $799 at launch

The industry might need to have a summit meeting and hammer out a new form factor like ATX, Mini ITX, Micro ATX. yadda so forth.
Then I can just plug in components and upgrade the handheld I already have.

Trogdor1123

The industry might need to have a summit meeting and hammer out a new form factor like ATX, Mini ITX, Micro ATX. yadda so forth.
Then I can just plug in components and upgrade the handheld I already have.
That would be pretty neat actually. I do t know why this is in quotes as I wrote this and not you.

I suspect that thermals would be a pretty great concern as well as the warranty concerns of opening a static system.

Topher

Gold Member
Worth the extra $100 over the regular model, imo. Battery life badly needs that boost. Not sure I'd go with this or the Legion Go if I was in the market for a Windows handheld, tbh.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Worth the extra $100 over the regular model, imo. Battery life badly needs that boost. Not sure I'd go with this or the Legion Go if I was in the market for a Windows handheld, tbh.

I agree 100%. I don't think i'll pick it up but we will see. I'll see if I can get a discount. If it has stiffer hall effect sticks...It's going to move it up in must have status.

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I would have 100% bought the Ally X if it had an improved screen, mainly screen size, but they may not even increase the size for the Ally 2 and instead just go OLED with same form factor or some such.

Now, I'm not sure what I wanna get. Buy Legion Go now, enjoy it, skip Ally X. Buy Steam Deck 2 down the road. That's probably my roadmap.

Ozriel

M$FT
I thought we were getting a new AMD APU later this year based on Strix Point? Why didn’t they wait for that?

This should have been a soft refresh at the same price point.

Top Bottom