• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

I think that was less a sign of "Apple is shipping a VR headset soon" and more a sign of "lots of creative professionals are looking to leave the Mac because their clients want to make VR shit and that's basically been impossible to do on the Mac until now, so we need to fix that asap."

That's possible but it would seem strange to me to introduce that and not have any intention of following through with some consumer product at some point. Especially since they introduced steam VR for Mac.

Guess Who

Banned
That's possible but it would seem strange to me to introduce that and not have any intention of following through with some consumer product at some point. Especially since they introduced steam VR for Mac.

Them pushing external GPU boxes and SteamVR for the Mac are really just more of a sign how much all the VR talk was developer oriented and not consumer oriented, though. I guarantee, for instance, that SteamVR will not be involved with an actual Apple VR product. Even if you look at their High Sierra marketing page, their phrasing is not "you can experience VR on macOS", it's "developers can make VR stuff on macOS."

Not to say Apple won't make a VR product at some point, but right now their focus with VR on the Mac is for developers and creative professionals who need to make VR content, not for consumer use.

Them pushing external GPU boxes and SteamVR for the Mac are really just more of a sign how much all the VR talk was developer oriented and not consumer oriented, though. I guarantee, for instance, that SteamVR will not be involved with an actual Apple VR product. Even if you look at their High Sierra marketing page, their phrasing is not "you can experience VR on macOS", it's "developers can make VR stuff on macOS."

Not to say Apple won't make a VR product at some point, but right now their focus with VR on the Mac is for developers and creative professionals who need to make VR content, not for consumer use.

Yeah it's definitely developer oriented right now but it feels like them setting things up for a consumer experience. They updated Metal 2 to support VR, why would a developer develop VR content with an Apple coding language if there's not going to be a market for that at some point?

Guess Who

Banned
Yeah it's definitely developer oriented right now but it feels like them setting things up for a consumer experience. They updated Metal 2 to support VR, why would a developer develop VR content with an Apple coding language if there's not going to be a market for that at some point?

They probably wouldn't, haha. The important aspect of Metal 2, though, is that Unreal, Unity, etc. are updating to support it. So developers can just build their content against Unreal and Unity in macOS and then the engines compile out to whatever platform they want without the VR content creators really worrying about whether it's Metal, OpenGL, DirectX, Vulkan, etc. The engine handles that for them. Metal 2 just enables macOS to be a viable platform for those engines to run on, since macOS's OpenGL support has been absolute shit for years and they seem obstinate about pushing Metal over Vulkan.

I think the early iterations of AR are going to be fairly limited but the idea is good. Being able to intelligently overlay information over the real world has tremendous potential even if at the beginning we're mostly going to see basic games and measuring apps.

AR's going to get a lot more interesting when your phone goes past detecting shapes and starts being able to identify objects, basically.

Some sort of QR code system could help a lot when it comes to e.g. road signage (stop signs are basically illegible to Teslas iirc even though they're designed for perfect human legibility, for example) and, I suppose, for some real-world stuff in urban spaces (but strikes me in practice as mostly something that'd be used for ad services and for all kinds of privacy-violating tracking - as in, "oh hey this person looked at a QR code that had them access a URL coded precisely to that code, meaning that we now know where they were despite never being granted permissions for that." Still, some sort of AR-camera-legible labeling system would jump start what AR is capable of.

I think Apple's broader philosophy about augmented reality is helpful, though - it's not just information overlays, it's that simply having the device passively does things for you (once you can pass through subway turnstiles with a simple tap of your Apple Watch and not having to push any buttons on it to call up a specific pass, that'll be a big deal, for example).

Ninja Dom

Okay, I think I'm gonna jump in with a silver model. What were some of the negative reactions people gave after trying it at the Apple conference?

EDIT: Does anybody know if the apps (default apps) have been re-designed to natively display at the 2436x1125 res of the screen?

Okay, I think I'm gonna jump in with a silver model. What were some of the negative reactions people gave after trying it at the Apple conference?

EDIT: Does anybody know if the apps (default apps) have been re-designed to natively display at the 2436x1125 res of the screen?

All apps should work fine, they already have to supply 3x assets for the Plus phones anyway. The iPhone X is just a native 3x screen instead of downscaled

dc89

Ugh. the more i explore the Apple website about this, the more i want it.

Hnnng.

I'm itching to see some more hands on stuff to help me decide what colour to get. At the moment I'm thinking silver - last two iOS devices have been space grey and jet black and I think it's time to go back to white/silver with this one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hnnng.

I'm itching to see some more hands on stuff to help me decide what colour to get. At the moment I'm thinking silver - last two iOS devices have been space grey and jet black and I think it's time to go back to white/silver with this one.

I really want to know how white it is. if the back is completely white, why are they calling it silver?

Dartastic

My girlfriend is going to get an 8 over this. I've tried to figure out why she should get the X over the 8 but I haven't really been able to find many reasons. What are the differences? The screen and the camera, right? Are those basically the only real differences?

dc89

I really want to know how white it is. if the back is completely white, why are they calling it silver?

Yeah I hope it's completely white too - just simple matte white under some glass like the 4S.

One of the better hands on videos of the iPhone X that went under the radar:
https://www.facebook.com/RichOnTech/videos/1848473108503733/

Yes this is pretty good actually. Face ID seems fast!
The white and silver looks super shiny due to the stainless steel. Hmm.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Police forcing you to keep your eyes open (for Face ID)

I must say, this level of absolute design synergy pleases me greatly:

apple-091217-iphone-x-4112.jpg

Icon Corner Radius = Dock Corner Radius = Screen Corner Radius = Bezel Corner Radius

Mmmm, that giant bezel

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
There has to be a reason they chose a bezel instead of an edge to edge screen like the S8, and I think that reason is the bezel makes the phone more comfortable to grip without obscuring the screen.

I'll be going silver, after 10 years of having a black iPhone.

Yes everyone get silver it’s really the best colorway.

More chance of a 256GB Space Grey for me

Although Silver is giving me OG iPhone and iPod Nano vibes.

Ninja Dom

My girlfriend is going to get an 8 over this. I've tried to figure out why she should get the X over the 8 but I haven't really been able to find many reasons. What are the differences? The screen and the camera, right? Are those basically the only real differences?

Design
Screen (both size and resolution)
Front camera
Face ID
Animoji

Anybody know why the rear camera want just changed to the same vertical alignment on the 8 to match the X?

ZeroX03

Banned
Love the new dock. Makes sense you wouldn't need titles on your most used apps.

Really torn between black and white iPhone X. I like the iPhone 7 black options but otherwise haven't been a fan. I like the silver back more but the space grey is more cohesive with the front. Hard to pick.

Vuze

Anybody know why the rear camera want just changed to the same vertical alignment on the 8 to match the X?
For the same reason LTE watches have a random red crown dot: to make it easy for people to see you rock that new high end watch or expensive phone 😉

What's the big deal with bezals yall?
Bezels must die in 2017, no matter the compromises!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Design
Screen (both size and resolution)
Front camera
Face ID
Animoji

My guess is that the X is changed to vertical to avoid clashing with the FaceID cluster of cameras etc - so it was an engineering requirement. They just left it horizontal on the 8 because it was either preferable or easier coming off the 7.

are there any comparisons with the size of the S8? I have one here next to my 6s and it feels very tall. Will the X be a similar size?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Love the new dock. Makes sense you wouldn't need titles on your most used apps.

Really torn between black and white iPhone X. I like the iPhone 7 black options but otherwise haven't been a fan. I like the silver back more but the space grey is more cohesive with the front. Hard to pick.

is it wrong that I'm partly thinking of the white because the stainless band will match my SS Apple watch?

Does the X have a higher screen to face ratio than the S8? Even though the bezel is wider at the sides, I much prefer how much more uniform it is around the screen.

Edit: Actually is that what the % on the screenshots represents? If so, then the answer is no. Not much in it though.

mrkgoo

My guess is that the X is changed to vertical to avoid clashing with the FaceID cluster of cameras etc - so it was an engineering requirement. They just left it horizontal on the 8 because it was either preferable or easier coming off the 7.

are there any comparisons with the size of the S8? I have one here next to my 6s and it feels very tall. Will the X be a similar size?

I never thought of that reason but it makes sense.

And on more thought, the screen doesn't literally go behind the notch either, so it must just be a weird shaped screen.

Didn't I see something about them folding te screen under neath or self to reach the edge? How did they engineer the corners?

Aleh

Police forcing you to keep your eyes open (for Face ID)

I must say, this level of absolute design synergy pleases me greatly:

apple-091217-iphone-x-4112.jpg

Icon Corner Radius = Dock Corner Radius = Screen Corner Radius = Bezel Corner Radius
That looks so good. Hands down my favorite part of the new design, followed by the super clean looking glass back. I really love where the design is heading.

jts

...hate me...
Anyone came out with the size of the largest 16:9 diagonal in the iPhone X unobstructed by the notch? Regardless of the rounded corners, I guess they don't make a big difference.

mrkgoo

Anyone came out with the size of the largest 16:9 diagonal in the iPhone X unobstructed by the notch? Regardless of the rounded corners, I guess they don't make a big difference.
Aren't all the iPhones since iPhone 5 16:9 screens?

With the iPhone X being of similar size to a non-plus iPhone, the 16:9 version is probably a little like that screen. A little bigger of course, because you don't have as much side Bessel (portrait).

jts

...hate me...
Aren't all the iPhones since iPhone 5 16:9 screens?

With the iPhone X being of similar size to a non-plus iPhone, the 16:9 version is probably a little like that screen. A little bigger of course, because you don't have as much side Bessel (portrait).
Yeah, they are.

Wonder if it's like 5" or whatever. I guess I can try to measure it.

is it wrong that I'm partly thinking of the white because the stainless band will match my SS Apple watch?

This is the first time I'm considering getting a white iPhone. I think it looks great with the stainless steel, it reminds me of the original iPhone in some ways.

Kyoufu

I was going to get the Space Grey because my Macbook Pro is also Space Grey but man, that "Silver" is really slick.

One thing I'm not a big fan of is a white back and black front. I know it makes sense for various reasons but not a huge fan of the mismatch.

She should get the X if she likes the look and the experience they are pitching. She should get the 8 if she likes the current experience more. It's opinion. I do not care about making emojis talk and I find Touch ID to be convenient. #PlusTrain

Screen-to-body ratio (phonearena.com)
iPhone X: 82.35 %
Galaxy S8: 84.26 %
LG V30: 81.21 %

I loled that this stat even exists.

All the same, here's hoping the X2 has at least a curved screen on the left and right sides. I have a feeling for symmetry that Apple won't do the sides without doing the top and bottoms, however. Which makes me curious as to how they'll handle the notch.

A quick search gave me this.

1505301802_189_size-comparison-apple-iphone-x-for-android-competition.png

This picture shows the Xs bezel less display as actually having relatively huge bezels, despite the smaller bottom area.

People should also be aware that the iPhone Xs screen to body ratio calculation doesn't factor in the notch taking up screen space.

jts

...hate me...
I loled that this stat even exists.

All the same, here's hoping the X2 has at least a curved screen on the left and right sides. I have a feeling for symmetry that Apple won't do the sides without doing the top and bottoms, however. Which makes me curious as to how they'll handle the notch.
Don't think Apple will change the body for at least a couple of years. Lord knows they get sink those engineering costs deep... iPhone 8 is already the 4th phone sharing a modified body with the 6.

Link

The Autumn Wind
3GB of RAM vs 2GB. Unless she's planning to get the 8 Plus.

emag

5.15" at 16:9 was the measurement calculated before the unveiling when the resolution was made available. There's plenty of space for 16:9 even excluding the notch, by the way.

jts

...hate me...
5.15" at 16:9 was the measurement calculated before the unveiling when the resolution was made available. There's plenty of space for 16:9 even excluding the notch, by the way.

I must have missed it or didn't register it. That's not too shabby.

Futureman

Similar to how they are working on getting a fingerprint reader under the screen, do we think eventually they'll be able to put all the stuff in the "notch" under the screen?

jts

...hate me...
How is anyone feeling about Apple's Leather Folio for the iPhone X?

That's a first. In a way it feels wrong. Weird to take pictures with, hard to put on a car holder, etc. On the other hand it's more complete protection, it's official, it can double as a wallet.

Anyone inclined to it?

Top Bottom