• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IPS monitors - seeing the light (literally)

CrazyHorse

Here's the thing with IPS, most run the brightness way too high. This is always going to influence more backlight bleed regardless of what panel you have. For example, I have two GSync monitors, Asus PG348Q and the Asus PG278Q. Out of the box the brightness settings where insane, pushing nearly 200 nits brightness. I calibrated it with my i1 Display Pro to 120 Luminance (brightness setting), gamma of 2.2 and white point at 6500K (D65). Once I calibrated it really killed the bleed. Calibrated my brightness is now set at 29 with a contrast of 50.

I suggest watching this video . It's a easy to understand 19 minutes and you spent $600+, why not set it up properly.

WARNING: When you set up your monitor correctly, i.e. not in 'EYE SCORCH BRIGHTNESS MODE', it's going to look a little dim at first. Once your eyes adjust it'll look light years better (Pun intended).

I set my IPSs to the lowest brightness possible and still got glow across the screen. You need to spend a few seconds comparing an AMVA panel to an IPS one before you know what you are missing. Perhaps when you haven't seen the opposite, you cannot see the flaws?

orborborb

The blurry motion on VA monitors is much more offensive to me than backlight bleed or IPS glow (though I really wish Acer or Asus used the same solution Apple does in their iMacs to combat IPS glow). Every game looked like that motion blur filter from GTA III/Vice City on my Acer Z35 so I returned it for a XB271HU and am MUCH happier.

Even my TN 3DS had horrible motion resolution so I found an IPS one on ebay, awful backlight bleed on the bottom screen but the top IPS screen no longer turns into a blur when objects move.

Lister

Banned
Quality control. In my experience professional-grade monitors or even televisions that belong in the same price bracket as Gsync/Freesync IPS gaming panels are far superior in that regard.

YMMV though, but I have gone through a shit-ton of monitors (I had my own animation/vfx studio and we ordered a lot of Eizo's and Ultrasharps)

Well yeah, but professional grade monitors start at $1,000 or more (usually more).

And TV's do not offer adaptive sync nor do they offer greater than 60 FPS.

sirap

I set my IPSs to the lowest brightness possible and still got glow across the screen. You need to spend a few seconds comparing an AMVA panel to an IPS one before you know what you are missing. Perhaps when you haven't seen the opposite, you cannot see the flaws?

Agreed. Even the best IPS monitors exhibit some glow, but it's not something that bothers you if all you're used to are IPS panels.

Once you go (OLED) black you never go back.

Well yeah, but professional grade monitors start at $1,000 or more (usually more).

And TV's do not offer adaptive sync nor do they offer greater than 60 FPS.

Not necessarily. A well calibrated Ultrasharp is more than adequate for professional color work and those things are pretty decently priced.

My Wasabi Mango UHD430 is pretty much a TV in everything but name. That thing offers Freesync support and the panel quality far exceeds the previous Predator monitor I had. Acer's offering had horrible light leaking and IPS glow. But yeah, if you want G-Sync you're not left with a lot of options. My hope is that once the new HDMI standard sets in we'll get better panels for gaming.

Grimalkin

Not necessarily. A well calibrated Ultrasharp is more than adequate for professional color work and those things are pretty decently priced.

Agreed. I have used the Dell Ultrasharp monitors since they first came out, they are excellent quality for the price.

Bydobob

Agree. First thing I did was kill the brightness down to 25, but it ruined the rest of the picture. In a dark room that kind of brightness is fine, but then the bleed becomes more noticeable in a dark room, so it's a little counter-productive.

It's worth reiterating that IPS glow and backlight bleed are not the same thing. Glow is much less intrusive to my eyes, whiter in colour and shifts according to your position. Backlight bleed is an ever present, yellowy brightness usually at the corners of the screen. By wedging a piece of paper between the bezel and screen you can shift the bleed across, but never eliminate it. It's a comically bad fix when you consider the price of these monitors.

Aside from VA, I wouldn't dismiss a TN panel. The latest panels are 8 bit, and while the colours won't pop like an IPS and the viewing angles are poor, they come in at a cheaper price with fewer quality issues.

painey

I recently got a Lenovo laptop with an IPS screen and it has the same problem. The alternative to the 1080p IPS screen was 720p, and I learned my lesson that resolution is WAY too low for a laptop. Despite some light bleeding, I love the screen 95% of the time.

FoxSpirit

When you sit very close to the screen viewing angles matter. If it's poor, you would see color shifting along the edges of the screen, notably if it's a large screen. For sub 30", VA should be fine but yeah I don't believe they make many of those. VA panels has something like sub 45 degrees viewing angles, it's really really bad. It doesn't matter much for a home theater system but PC usage is quite different.
VA is pretty stable, serioously my FG-2421 barely has any contrast shift. While sitting close to a TN wouldn't even be able to show a flat colour looking to the edges of the screen.

Knurek

I bought an U2414H monitor two years ago.
It was an amazing piece, no backlight bleed, close to zero IPS glow. The thing is, it had a single stuck pixel in the lower left corner.
I used if for a year, but it kept nagging at me, so I finally caved in and used Dell's warranty to switch it to another model.
And this one doesn't have any stuck pixels, thank god.
But it has a noticeable backlight bleed in one of the corners. :(

OLED (or quantum dots) in consumer monitors can't come soon enough.

byropoint

This shit is exactly why I decided to not get a 27''/1440p/gsync/144hz monitor, paying 800-900€ and then having to deal with the horrible BLB/dead pixel lottery is ridiculous, monitors in that price range should have strict QC.

Instead, I opted for a 34'' LG IPS Ultrawide with 75hz and Freesync for the same price. No backlight bleed, great black and general color reproduction, games look incredible on it and it's great for general use as well, I basically use it as two monitors when I'm not playing anything, very happy.

Uneven backlighting and not getting true blacks are IMO, relatively minor flaws compared to getting excellent color quality.

No monitor technology is flawless, but IPS is generally the way to go.

etking

Banned
No, IPS is not the way to go. VA technology (often used by Samsung) provides much better image quality and contrast especially with darker images. The lack darkness and the violet screen effect disqualifies IPS because it completely destroys the atmosphere.

IPS might only be applicable if the TV supports local dimming and is not edge lit.

But OLED is by far the best way to play Resident Evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWqD1zb9tvc

byropoint

No, IPS is not the way to go. VA technology (often used by Samsung) provides much better image quality and contrast especially with darker images. The lack darkness and the violet screen effect disqualifies IPS because it completely destroys the atmosphere.

IPS might only be applicable if the TV supports local dimming and is not edge lit.

But OLED is by far the best way to play Resident Evil.

IPS still generally has better color reproduction I think, and VA panels have problems with pixel response times which causes ghosting -- very bad for games. They do have better contrast ratios and less problems with backlight bleed.

There's no perfect panel type for monitors yet, you basically have to pick the compromise you want to make.

My Ultrasharp U2515H is amazing, and the screen of my Ideapad 710S is very close.
Accurate gamma and colors are everything once you are past the 1000:1 contrast for me, for contrast just have a bit of light behind the monitor and you are set, no use in having a bit more contrast only to suffer from terrible colors.

bias-front.jpg

Until OLED becomes mainstream for monitors IPS is the best we've got.

Edit: beware monitors with a gamut larger than sRGB if you are unsure about color management. sRGB is foolproof and looks great.

Re7 is driving me nuts on my Asus ROG pg279q. It's not as bad as what is shown in the example but it's there.

xealo

Just depends on what people want out of their monitors, better colour representation when well calibrated usually comes at a cost to response times and refresh rate in my experience.

Personally I use a pair of 27" 1440p models out of dells ultrasharp lineup, there's some light bleed in a backlight test, but not to any level I'm bothered with when in normal use.
For people who don't care about colour accuracy, it's usually better to just go for a TN panel with a high refresh rate.

x3sphere

The thing is that different IPS panels vary significantly in quality.

I have a 38" LG ultrawide (IPS) and it has almost no BLB. I also have an OLED TV which completely obliterates this in terms of IQ but it's not so jarring to switch as long as I'm using some bias lighting.

All the Va panels I've tried had massive ghosting issues (at least to my eyes) and the viewing angles were not great so I will stick with IPS until an OLED monitor comes along

Pic of my LG in a dark room: http://i.picpar.com/lPkc.png

coughlanio

Anyone saying TN is bad with poor viewing angles obviously hasn't tried a modern, good TN panel. I have the Dell S2417DG and the panel is pretty close to IPS in terms of viewing angles. I recommend checking out some panels in your local electronics store, and seeing what you can live with personally.

The thing is that different IPS panels vary significantly in quality.

I have a 38" LG ultrawide (IPS) and it has almost no BLB. I also have an OLED TV which completely obliterates this in terms of IQ but it's not so jarring to switch as long as I'm using some bias lighting.

All the Va panels I've tried had massive ghosting issues (at least to my eyes) and the viewing angles were not great so I will stick with IPS until an OLED monitor comes along

Pic of my LG in a dark room: http://i.picpar.com/lPkc.png

Yup, that's just like mine. I would guess that IPS is basically essential for ultrawide because of the viewing angle right? I haven't gotten to see any that weren't IPS.

Man, I can't wait for OLED monitors and for them to become affordable. Until then I can make due with my Ultrawide IPS LG.

I've tried the other panels and IMO like you said these are better. ESPECIALLY if you calibrate it correctly! This is essential.

Anyone saying TN is bad with poor viewing angles obviously hasn't tried a modern, good TN panel. I have the Dell S2417DG and the panel is pretty close to IPS in terms of viewing angles. I recommend checking out some panels in your local electronics store, and seeing what you can live with personally.

Well, anyone who says IPS is bad and low contrast obviously has never tried a good calibrated panel. Color contrast is a thing too.

longdi

Banned
I made a same thread previously. :D

To be fair, the OP pic shows more of uneven backlighting because of edge lit LEDs. In daytime, it wouldnt look as bad

IPS glow looks more like this. This is on a pure black wallpaper. IPS glow will be visible even in day time.
2wGhz3z.jpg

Funny thing is i also noticed such glow even in VA panels, especially those from Philips.

In the old days, we have ATW Polariser in IPS screens to reduce the glow, then its use totally disappeared, even on high end prosumer models.

Another crazy thing is our phones IPS screen seems to do better, less glow, better contrast ratios!

I dont know what they are putting in our monitors these days.

Pingoreous

You always have to compromise. For me it was either constantly calibrating the bad TN colors or the IPS lottery. My Acer Predator XB271HU has minimal light bleed. The BenQ XL2720Z i returned, the colors were driving me mad.

Vipu

Banned

Yeah right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJUMZXjkS2I

If that is something close to IPS then I dont know what IPS you have tried.
With IPS there is no visible "lagom" texts.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

I love the design of Dell's monitors. My S2716DG looks clean, professional, has a hole in the neck for cable routing, and doesn't scream GAMER AESTHETIC. I'm not against eventually owning an IPS monitor, but I'm not dealing with the BLB lottery (already tried that without luck).

Yeah, I experienced the shock of the realities of IPS a few weeks back with the ROG Swift PG279q and this
Re7 is driving me nuts on my Asus ROG pg279q. It's not as bad as what is shown in the example but it's there.
Is a sentiment that I can totally understand, just change it to Dark Souls 3. It was doubly bad for me because of ULMB.

Funny, after reading up on TFT's review of the PG258Q just a minute ago (Only 144hz ULMB, Linus and the Asus CES reps were full of it), I was reminded that I didn't 100% hate the 279q and kinda pined for it... until longdi's post. Fuck no, I don't want this back at all.

We are kinda getting a little closer to the day where I might not say "ULMB or BUST" anymore:

240hz+ OLED could be like 10x better!

1440p
IPS
Gsync/Freesync
144/165Hz
27 inch

These are the specs parroted out continually whenever it comes to gaming monitor recommendations. I started to believe it myself, so when it came to choosing a monitor recently I was sure that anything different to the above would be a compromise.

So it was that I bought this Agon AG271QG. Including a work discount that came to just over £500. Bargain.

Or so I thought. These panels, made by AU Optronics and shared across a multitude of manufacturers including Asus and Acer, are seriously compromised if you value black levels. I've owned and used a lot of monitors and TVs over the years and I have never seen such severe backlight bleed. Here's mine (over-exposure exaggerates the effect):

gejcdEwl.jpg

Playing the likes of Inside, Resident Evil 7 and Dying Light was horrific in all the wrong senses. Those huge bright patches in the corners when from yellowy-white to a horrible shit-stained brown whenever a dark colour was introduced. I wondered if I had a particularly poor panel but it seems mine was nothing out of the ordinary:

Rog swift forum:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81679-PG279Q-Backlight-bleed
In action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2BsJQ8y_IA
Acer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV3a6jAV4ZQ&feature=youtu.be

The guy in the last vid is clearly able to overlook this flaw, so I guess if you're in that category you can ignore this thread as the ramblings of a fool. For anyone else, do your research!

As for me, I ended up swapping for the Acer Z271

This monitor has a glaring compromise in the form of a 1920x1080 resolution but you know what? The blacks and contrast afforded by its VA panel more than make up for it.
And it was £100 cheaper
. Food for thought for some of you.

Get a calibration, ask that the backlight be reduced and and luminance be made up using 2pt grayscale and white balance controls.

big_z

I bought an U2414H monitor two years ago.
It was an amazing piece, no backlight bleed, close to zero IPS glow. The thing is, it had a single stuck pixel in the lower left corner.
I used if for a year, but it kept nagging at me, so I finally caved in and used Dell's warranty to switch it to another model.
And this one doesn't have any stuck pixels, thank god.
But it has a noticeable backlight bleed in one of the corners. :(

OLED (or quantum dots) in consumer monitors can't come soon enough.

I have the same monitor. It has a spec of dirt right along the left side. Went through 4-5 replacements but couldn't find one with out stuck pixels, decent color temperature or noticeable bleed.

That said the dirt spec doesn't bother me anymore. Looks fantasic and has less blur than the couple of 144hz monitors I've tried. No idea why dell only uses this specific panel in one monitor.

Well, anyone who says IPS is bad and low contrast obviously has never tried a good calibrated panel. Color contrast is a thing too.

I have Vizio's P55, which is a IPS panel and it performs exceptionally well. It is a FALD display, and the other difference, is pixel arrangement. RGBW is horrible, and has a negative effect on contrast and dark colors. Vizio opted for the arrangement without a White pixel. So I only see IPS glow from off angle views.

No idea why dell only uses this specific panel in one monitor.

Scroll up for my post and you'll see that this panel isn't used anymore EVEN on that model. Revision A3 has a panel with quite a visible flaw since it looks like you have faint vertical scanlines across the whole screen, visible especially in bright blue and orange colors...

I hit the Jack pot with my Acer xb270hu. The back light is distributed very well, even when it's at Max brightness. No dead pixels either. Im still blown away that I got one this good on my first try!

Coonce

I hit the Jack pot with my Acer xb270hu. The back light is distributed very well, even when it's at Max brightness. No dead pixels either. Im still blown away that I got one this good on my first try!

It's nice to see the occasional good post about a monitor experience.

It really sucks that buying a monitor nowadays is a gamble with quality. fwiw, I got a 34 inch LG ultrawide and I'm in the same boat, no light bleed, no dead pixels, absolutely perfect panel.

joecanada

All I know is that the IPS monitor I payed 40 bucks for used looks way better than my lg LCD TV, every time I'm playing a movie on both screens I scowl at my tv.

Murugo

I bought an XB271HU last month knowing I'd be playing the IPS lottery, and I sort of lucked out the first try. Just slight backlight bleed at the bottom that you won't notice unless you look for it. IPS glow is really noticeable, though, but that's what you have to deal with when using an IPS panel.

TN panels tend to be cheaper, but the color range is inferior. In spite of the issues, I'd still pick IPS over TN.

I got lucky with my Viewsonic 144Hz 27inch Gsync IPS screen. I run the brightness at 50 and while there is definitely a bit of glow, I think that it looks great with fantastic color. To be fair most of the stuff I played so far is more colorful and I haven't play something like RE7, but my screen does not look like that one in the OP. I actually also have an older 1080p VA panel and I think the IPS is better and not just because of the higher res (1440p)

KaYotiX

Banned
i have the LG IPS 34" ultrawide 144hz and i guess i got lucky.

I have a little bleed in the left corner but nothing even close to the screen shot.

Darksim

I have the Acer XB270HU and experience literally 0 backlight bleed.

Damn it lol, I wish I could have been that lucky. I recently purchased an XF270HUA during that best buy sale, and the first one I received had truly awful glow, so much that I couldn't play dark games without staring at the massive yellow/orange glow coming from the bottom right corner the entire time. I got a replacement and ended up with this:

cWViD57.png

The photo is somewhat worse than what it looks like and I can play dark horror games without noticing unless I look for it, but now I'm caught in the what if I return it another 5 times in an attempt to get a perfect one and never even end up with another one as good as this. It truly is a struggle. When the monitor is in it's element (anything other than a mostly black screen) it is truly impressive, easily the best monitor I've personally looked at. I can stare at a VT50 for a few hours then come look at this monitor and feel reasonably satisfied, something I really wasn't expecting from an lcd at all. Watching 21:9 movies on it is definitely never going to be acceptable though (and to be fair probably never will be on an ips, though it is particularly bad with this panel).

Top Bottom