• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iRacing |OT| The Real Racing Simulator

Frawdder

Ravenn17 said:
Source
Racing.com has just announced the newest addition to the lineup of tracks in their online racing simulation as Spa Francorchamps will be available to iRacing subscribers in the rather near future.

The announcement answers the prayers of many sim racers as Spa is considered to be one of the finest race tracks in the world. Scanning work at Spa and Zolder will be starting in a few weeks, no specific release time has been given so far.

Opened in 1922, Spa Francorchamps is located in the Belgian Ardennes and has been hosting Formula One races, sports car races and other high-profile motorsport events ever since. Up until 1978, the circuit was made up of mostly public roads, creating a high-speed 14.1 kilometer layout. The modern version of the track opened in 1979 and has remained largely unchanged despite some recent modifications at the start/finish area and the bus stop chicane.

Even though the current 7 kilometer circuit isn’t as spectacular as the old layout, key elements such as the La Source hairpin and the famous Eau Rouge corner have been retained, making Spa a favorite of both the fans and many drivers.
Freakin' sweet.
Read that piece earlier today, great news.

Fixed1979

That's excellent. So we get our first F1 car, now Spa. I need to go practice!

Fake Edit: Ordered mah Playseat today...can't wait.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Spa? Wow.

That is freakin huge.

Could be a game changer for those still in the SimBin/ISI loyalty camp.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
You what? If they get the Ring, Monza and Monaco, it will literally become the best sim on the market. Get those tracks and you put SimBin and ISI out of business.

Frawdder

isamu said:
You what? If they get the Ring, Monza, Monaco and Bathurst, it will literally become the best sim on the market. Get those tracks and you put SimBin and ISI out of business.
Fixed. :D

spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa

bee

it already is the best sim on the market by a long way, but i'm much more excited for this than the F1 car, this is great news :D

markao

isamu said:
You what? If they get the Ring, Monza and Monaco, it will literally become the best sim on the market. Get those tracks and you put SimBin and ISI out of business.
Why ?

Two completely different markets, one on-line only (MMO) racer, other disk based series (on&off - line), other modding platform and lets not start at the price difference between the iRacing/ISI options. See how many active iRacing members there are right now, between 7500 and 10.000. , room enough for both on-line only racing and a ISI mod platform.

Oh and Spa in iRacing, great news!!

Fixed1979

I was looking at buying Silverstone and the Lotus 79 so I could take part in the British Grand Prix this weekend. I want to get at least one more item and possibly 4 more in order to take advantage of the 10% - 20% off deal. Any suggestions for a rookie driver (must have tracks or cars)?

The new Mustang FR500S is extremely drivable and an absolute blast around most road courses. I'd definitely recommend it for a rookie. The Solstice feels a lot twitchier in the corners than the Mustang, so even though it's far more powerful, the Mustang feels much easier for me to drive. Besides, you haven't felt good yet until you exit a corner steering almost entirely with throttle input. :D

Fixed1979

I'll add the Mustang for sure, I was actually surprised by how loose I found the Pontiac so if the Mustang is able to hold the track better and at a faster speed then that sounds good to me.

Branson

Only road racing people here, eh? Anyone from the oval side post here? lol. Thompson with the new Tour Modified is great fun. :D

Scipius

Let's hope they also scan in what's left of the old track while they're there :D. Or, at least the Masta Kink.

And Zolder as well. Nice.

With Spa available, that only leaves the Nordschleife before I can join. Excellent.

Fixed1979

iam220 said:
GT5 is no substitute for iracing, or vice versa.

This. I can't wait until GT5 hits, but GT5 is about great graphics and collecting cars while iRacing devotes itself to online racing, leagues and community. Completely different experiences, both of which are worth playing.
Purposefully leaving our driving and driving physics to avoid any derailment

Fixed1979

Branson said:
Only road racing people here, eh? Anyone from the oval side post here? lol. Thompson with the new Tour Modified is great fun. :D

Actually I've been having more fun with the Rookie ovals than I would have thought, I think it's partially do to the fact that regardless of how good or bad you are chances are you're in traffic.

19Kilo

Fixed1979 said:
I was looking at buying Silverstone and the Lotus 79 so I could take part in the British Grand Prix this weekend. I want to get at least one more item and possibly 4 more in order to take advantage of the 10% - 20% off deal. Any suggestions for a rookie driver (must have tracks or cars)?

I'd say take a look at the D class schedules and pick up whichever ones looks like the most fun to you. That way you can run most if not all of the races in a series each week. IMHO the Skippy is a must, and if you also like oval racing you will have a lot of fun with the late model. I don't have the SK Modified yet, so I can't comment on that one.

iam220

Fixed1979 said:
Purposefully leaving our driving and driving physics to avoid any derailment

Not necessary, no one in their right mind would argue against iracing superior physics and tracks.

Fixed1979

19Kilo said:
I'd say take a look at the D class schedules and pick up whichever ones looks like the most fun to you. That way you can run most if not all of the races in a series each week. IMHO the Skippy is a must, and if you also like oval racing you will have a lot of fun with the late model. I don't have the SK Modified yet, so I can't comment on that one.

Picked up the Mustang, SK Modified, Skip Barber and the Monte Carlo (along with the Lotus and Silverston), I figured I'd play around with each one and it would probably make an easier decision as to what I want to spend more time doing when I get my D license. I thought about getting a track or two in there but it seemed kind of pointless without know what direction I wanted to go. Do they change the tracks for the series after the season is over or does it pretty much stay the same?

19Kilo

Fixed1979 said:
Picked up the Mustang, SK Modified, Skip Barber and the Monte Carlo (along with the Lotus and Silverston), I figured I'd play around with each one and it would probably make an easier decision as to what I want to spend more time doing when I get my D license. I thought about getting a track or two in there but it seemed kind of pointless without know what direction I wanted to go. Do they change the tracks for the series after the season is over or does it pretty much stay the same?

They will usually mix up the tracks for each new season in the non-rookie series. For example, they are adding Mid-Ohio to every Class D and above road series as it wasn't released before the current season.

In the "General / Off Topic Discussion" forum of the member site they've posted a preliminary 2010 Season 3 schedule if you want to get a good idea of what to expect.

19Kilo

One thing I just noticed about the schedule - there are now two fixed-setup series. Both are Class B, Nationwide cars and Corvette. They also appear to be about half the normal race distance.

Awesome news for me as I don't have a lot of time to practice and work on setups. I have even less time for actual races, especially the much longer races found in the upper series. It usually doesn't take me too long to learn a new track, so being able to jump right in and compete on a level field while not having to worry about tweaking a setup or trying to find one to download which suits my style is a big plus. :D

Edit: Final Schedule posted - http://members.iracing.com/iforum/s...5195-51071/iRacing 2010 Season 3 schedule.htm

The latest update of the software has been released and they are offering a special 3 months for the price of 1 for new members promotion.

Key update is an improved/enhanced transmission model.

Below is the copied text from the email:

iRacing.com Keeps Getting Better and Better!

iRacing.com just released the 2010 Season 3 build which includes tons of improvements and enhancements. We’ve told you from the beginning that the development never stops here at iRacing and we think our latest update to the world’s premier racing simulation software is our best one yet.

To go along with this great build, we have a money saving offer for new customers:

Join today and get 3 Months for the price of 1!

Three months of unlimited racing, the iRacing community and all the excitement you can handle for only $14. This special introductory offer won’t be around forever so sign up today!

What's New to iRacing.com

Night Racing is here
This long awaited feature has been added to iRacing with night racing at Richmond International Raceway. Whether you already own Richmond, or you purchase it today, the night version is FREE to you.

Online myRacer Status Indicator
Finding your friends on iRacing just got a whole lot easier. When you login to the home page you will see where your friends are racing and you’ll be able to join them with one click!

Fixed Setup Racing
Fixed setup racing is now available in both hosted sessions as well as a limited number of official iRacing series.

Spectator Mode
Watch races right on the member site. No need to wait for the replay anymore.

Updated Transmission Model
Members asked for more realism, and this new model will answer that call. You’ll need to learn to drive properly by shifting into and out of gears exactly as you do in a real world racecar. Don’t worry though, if the realism goes too far, you can choose to stick with the current transmission model.

Website Usability Improvements
We’ve improved the overall navigation through the site as well as eliminated the need for so many clicks when you just want to go racing.

Coming Soon to iRacing.com

Pocono Raceway
Coming mid-season. Including all road course configurations.

Dover International Speedway
Coming in this fall. The "Monster Mile" joins the ever growing list of NASCAR tracks at iRacing.com.

Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Scanning has been completed. This track is going in to immediate production.

New Member Forums
Coming mid-season. An entire new look-and-feel, with increased functionality.

Williams FW31
Coming in Season 4, 2010.
The new features and improvements listed above are just the tip of the iceberg for this build. Check out the complete build notes here for more information on these and to read about the rest of the build.

Ravenn17

Question about iRacing: Does their system force you to race on oval tracks with oval specific vechicles in order to progress through the license/promotion ladder?

Ravenn17

Joseph Merrick said:
you have to race oval to improve your oval license yes :))

road and oval are separate

I see, so I can totally ignore oval and just progress with my road license in order to race with cars that require a higher license grade?

Lyon

Ravenn17 said:
I see, so I can totally ignore oval and just progress with my road license in order to race with cars that require a higher license grade?
Yep. You can improve your Road licence up to the top level, unlock every road car and track and have never raced an oval.

19Kilo

iRacing have lowered their subscription prices again. From VirtualR:

Back in October 2009, iRacing first announced a significant price drop, cutting both the prices for subscriptions and content items up to 37%.

Now, a new price drop has taken effect as the price for a monthly iRacing subscription has been lowered to $12 (was $14) while the price of a three-month subscription is now $30 (was $36).

The cheapest option for committed iRacers is the two-year subscription for $179, that lowers the monthly fee to $7,48. If those new prices get you interested in iRacing, you can take advantage of some promo codes to start your iRacing career for even less money:

PR-Zandvoort (One month of membership + Circuit Park Zandvoort for $5)

PR-NFFE (Three-month membership + Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS for $18)

PR-INDY (Three-month membership + Dallara Indycar for $25)

All packages include the rookie road racer & oval content needed to get your career started. While the new subscription pricing affects every iRacing member, the promo codes above can only be used for new memberships.

The "PR-2FREE" code to get 2 free months when you buy 1 is also still available if the you don't like the other promos (i.e. Three-month membership for $12)

19Kilo

Ravenn17 said:

I was in the same boat when I started - no interest in ovals at all. But I tried out the Legends cars on a whim (comes with the basic sub) and had a blast. I still stuck with road for the majority of my time, but I had enough fun in ovals to eventually get my A-license in both road and oval.

Give them a try if you get into iRacing - it takes more skill then you might imagine and is not nearly as boring as it looks on TV ;)

isamu

Am I correct in assuming the Indy series is an oval series? How popular is the Indy 500 compared to other oval cars? And it the fastest of the bunch?

Headhunter

Neo Member
isamu said:
Am I correct in assuming the Indy series is an oval series? How popular is the Indy 500 compared to other oval cars? And it the fastest of the bunch?

Indy is a mix of oval and road tracks, but you need an A class road licence to participate.

And driving the Indycar on Indianapolis is just awesome, and depending on your setup you can drive it flat out all the way.

19Kilo said:
I was in the same boat when I started - no interest in ovals at all. But I tried out the Legends cars on a whim (comes with the basic sub) and had a blast. I still stuck with road for the majority of my time, but I had enough fun in ovals to eventually get my A-license in both road and oval.

Give them a try if you get into iRacing - it takes more skill then you might imagine and is not nearly as boring as it looks on TV ;)
yep, agree with this post. I wasn't interested in oval either. but tested it since.. it was there. and it's fucking awesome. especially on the small starting tracks, because you can almost always see everyone in the race and since everyone is right around you all the time if you're gaining or losing a tenth or hundredth of a second per lap you can immediatly see and feel it. also turn up the audio channel even if you're not using a mic yourself, there are pretty much always moron americans not willing to give way and kamikaze'ing each other out on t1 then continuing to fight throughout the whole race about the crash. that's amazing entertainment for 40 laps

isamu

Joseph Merrick said:
yep, agree with this post. I wasn't interested in oval either. but tested it since.. it was there. and it's fucking awesome. especially on the small starting tracks, because you can almost always see everyone in the race and since everyone is right around you all the time if you're gaining or losing a tenth or hundredth of a second per lap you can immediatly see and feel it. also turn up the audio channel even if you're not using a mic yourself, there are pretty much always moron americans not willing to give way and kamikaze'ing each other out on t1 then continuing to fight throughout the whole race about the crash. that's amazing entertainment for 40 laps

Sounds like fun. When you bump and nudge other cars, do you feel it in the force feedback effects? Can you physically "fight" the other cars with your steering wheel to gain better position? I remember enjoying doing this in Daytona USA(Sega arcade game). Is the effect similar?

And how much does drafting play a part in oval races? Does staying behind a car pretty much guarantee you'll catch up to him and pass him?

styl3s said:
I was interested till i noticed the giant fn spider.. why? why is there a giant spider
The spider is a real statue at that race course.

irl_barbermotorsportpark_4_.jpg

Mihku

isamu said:
Sounds like fun. When you bump and nudge other cars, do you feel it in the force feedback effects? Can you physically "fight" the other cars with your steering wheel to gain better position? I remember enjoying doing this in Daytona USA(Sega arcade game). Is the effect similar?

And how much does drafting play a part in oval races? Does staying behind a car pretty much guarantee you'll catch up to him and pass him?

Drafting plays a huge part. If you end up alone on a super speedway you really are in trouble, you won't make it back to the bunch unless there's an incident or they have to pit soon. Even if you race in the lower splits, like 80% of the field can really drive and won't make many mistakes.

Did Daytona last season with the COT and the trucks. It really is an experience on its own, but you have to be focused every single second. Pushing in the pack is fun, but it has to be done with caution. Don't ram into someone because they will wreck and take a lot of cars with them. Believe me when I say people can get very angry the first 30 seconds during a yellow flag :)

You do feel the car get more loose when someone starts pushing you. But most people set the FF pretty low on ovals, because it becomes pretty tiresome if you have to race an hour. It's a matter of personal preference, but on bumpy tracks you really don't want strong FF.

jlevel13

15 euros for one car and one track that you can run time trials on seems maybe worse than iRacing's pricing structure.

19Kilo

New Dale Jr. Promo:

iRacing has just launched a new promo deal in co-operation with NASCAR Sprint Cup star Dale Earnhardt Jr., allowing iRacing subscribers to renew their membership for $75 ayear (25% off the regular price).

To sweeten the deal, renewers are automaticly entered to win a four-lap ride around Charlotte Motor Speedway with Dale Earnhardt Jr. To top it all off, the winners will also receive two tickets & pit passes to the Bank of America 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Charlotte in October as well as $500 spending money.

To take advantage of the offer, subscribers should use the “renew early” option in their account settings, using the promo-code PR-Junior1. New iRacing subscribers that want a chance to win the Charlotte package should use the promo-code PR-JrRide when signing up.

Top Bottom