• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iRacing |OT| The Real Racing Simulator

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
iRacing continues to look amazing. That Ferrari Formula game, not so much.

19Kilo

Ravenn17 said:
I'm looking forward to your impressions. :)

Got to spend about 20 minutes with it so far. It really is very basic, just hotlapping on Fiorano, but that was expected. Very basic car setups. I got within 2 seconds of Massa's time, so I might come close to matching his after I've had more time to practice and learn the track.

One thing I liked the most is the telemetry graph that compares your throttle and braking versus Massa's hot lap. Physics feel really good, especially how downforce is modeled. I'd put it a step above the better rFactor F1 mods. So now I'd really like to compare it with iRacing's FW31. I'm thinking they are going to be very close to each other and should be the most accurate F1 sims available to the public.

I'm interested to see what their future plans are with this, aside from two more tracks. It could definitely be made into something more substantial and commercial. Is it worth the 15 euros right now? It is fun to drive, but how much do you like nothing but hotlapping?

Ravenn17

19Kilo said:
Got to spend about 20 minutes with it so far. It really is very basic, just hotlapping on Fiorano, but that was expected. Very basic car setups. I got within 2 seconds of Massa's time, so I might come close to matching his after I've had more time to practice and learn the track.

One thing I liked the most is the telemetry graph that compares your throttle and braking versus Massa's hot lap. Physics feel really good, especially how downforce is modeled. I'd put it a step above the better rFactor F1 mods. So now I'd really like to compare it with iRacing's FW31. I'm thinking they are going to be very close to each other and should be the most accurate F1 sims available to the public.

I'm interested to see what their future plans are with this, aside from two more tracks. It could definitely be made into something more substantial and commercial. Is it worth the 15 euros right now? It is fun to drive, but how much do you like nothing but hotlapping?

How come when I go on the website I don't see Massa's time on the leader-boards? Has anybody beaten it?

bee

either the steering lock animation is incredibly inaccurate or the physics are just completely off in that ferrari game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6--TPnjbLNo&hd=1

you can watch any real life ferrari fiorano test vid that shows that's just a joke

it's basically just a modded netkarpro with 1 car and 1 track and no multiplayer

markao

bee said:
either the steering lock animation is incredibly inaccurate or the physics are just completely off in that ferrari game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6--TPnjbLNo&hd=1

you can watch any real life ferrari fiorano test vid that shows that's just a joke

it's basically just a modded netkarpro with 1 car and 1 track and no multiplayer

As you might have guessed from an upgrade nKpro engine, it is just a simple bug. ;) I read that not using 900 degrees of steering lock, will give a replay like that, in game (or with right lock)no issue.

bee

markao said:
As you might have guessed from an upgrade nKpro engine, it is just a simple bug. ;) Not using 900 degrees of steering lock, will give a replay like that, in game (or with right lock)no issue.

ahh ok, but no way are they gonna get to me to fork out over 35 euros for 1 car and 3 tracks in offline time trial mode. the iracing offering looks way better to me

sol_bad

Quick question.

Do you have to race in a manual or can you race automatic?
I ask because in real life I drive an automatic, I'm unable to drive manual. I only have the use of 1 hand.

bee

sol_bad said:
Quick question.

Do you have to race in a manual or can you race automatic?
I ask because in real life I drive an automatic, I'm unable to drive manual. I only have the use of 1 hand.

iracing is manual transmission only, sequential or shifter

Equus Bellator Apex

Joseph Merrick said:
spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa
spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa spa

19Kilo

PjotrStroganov said:
Why are you posting that here?

Well I figured the only people interested in that sort of thing would already be in this thread. I don't think it really deserves its own thread, but it's interesting enough for those of us looking forward to iRacing's F1 car.

19Kilo said:
Well I figured the only people interested in that sort of thing would already be in this thread. I don't think it really deserves its own thread, but it's interesting enough for those of us looking forward to iRacing's F1 car.

Okay. Thought you might be a marketeer;)

kashwashwa

Neo Member
I recently subscribed to iracing for a month...

I've got to say it - without a doubt - has the best physics out of any racing game I've played.

I actually broke out my old Thrustmaster Forcefeedback wheel and pedals (it actually has really good FFB effects), and was amazed.

I was really really surprised by the difference going from LFS to iracing. Forza 3, LFS, rfactor all seem really 'video gamey' compared to iracing now.

I think I'm going to go for that $75 / yr promotion.

markao

iRacing Continues Japanese Growth

iRacing continued its Japanese expansion with today’s announcement that Twin Ring Motegi, Suzuka Circuit and Tsukuba Circuit will join Okayama International Circuit on its growing list of global racing facilities. In addition, iRacing will also be augmenting its line-up of virtual race cars with the Mazda Roadster and MX-5 Cup racing cars. The announcement was made by iRacing president, Tony Gardner, in conjunction with this weekend’s running of the Japan 300 IZOD IndyCar Series race at Twin Ring Motegi.

mclaren777

I have a couple of one-month-free codes from PAX that I'm willing to share.

And I plan to start my iRacing career tomorrow before Petit Le Mans kicks off. Hopefully it's good, though I'll be really surprised if it brings me more enjoyment than rFactor.

alba

Little is the new Big
If you have one too much, I wouldn't mind. Always wanted to try it out and now I can set up my pc with my playseat & g25 since I got my cables sorted out. :D

Ravenn17

34e6ywy.jpg

mclaren777

alba said:
If you have one too much, I wouldn't mind. Always wanted to try it out and now I can set up my pc with my playseat & g25 since I got my cables sorted out. :D
Done.

I now have one left.

Damn too late :(

Nice to hear 3 more good tracks are coming, makes iRacing sound a lot better to me now, at least if I had the money to buy all the content...

I was a member of iRacing for little over a year, had to let my subscription lapse back in July though. I never was great at it, but it was a ton of fun. It's hardcore sim racing at its finest and the service has really blossomed into a full-featured product over the past couple of years. The physics and force feedback effects (on my G25) are the best I've personally seen.

I can't recommend iRacing enough to anyone who is interested.

mclaren777

I just started my iRacing career and it's not bad. My initial impressions are that rFactor is still much more entertaining, but I think it's still too early to know for sure. I plan to do some racing on Monday morning but for now I'm pleased with my fledgling progress.

ysIM2.jpg

bee

mclaren777 said:
I just started my iRacing career and it's not bad. My initial impressions are that rFactor is still much more entertaining, but I think it's still too early to know for sure. I plan to do some racing on Monday morning but for now I'm pleased with my fledgling progress.

rfactor more entertaining :O you're playing on a G25 or similar yeah? because the force feedback for me is the best by far including realfeel. summit point is hardly the greatest track and i suppose you're playing with the solstice? if so just stick with it and buy the sklippy as i mentioned before.

also probably iracing's greatest feature is the online safety rating, if you only race leagues in rfactor then maybe you won't notice much difference but if you race pubs then yeah its a completely different world, in fact i'd say its by FAR the best online community in any game that i've ever experienced ( people actually apologising for their mistakes on a pub server.....wtf? )

mclaren777

I won't be buying anything for iRacing. GT5 is just around the corner and then rFactor 2 will eventually take over as my de facto racing game after that. iRacing is just far too limited for my tastes but I'm still excited to play around with it for a month.

mclaren777

I finished second in my first race, which is rather surprising considering that I did almost no practice beforehand. :D

L9rbL.png

19Kilo

FW31 Final Teaser

Finally releases this Thursday, along with the MX-5 (which is free, and is now the new rookie road car) - the wait is almost over!

Glad to see there is a "fun" series for the FW31 too, I'll be more likely to have time for one of those quick races rather than the full series races.

Schedules:

Williams Schedule (Class A)

Week 1 Road America Full 30
Week 2 Silverstone 30
Week 3 Phillip Island 40
Week 4 Brands Hatch 45
Week 5 Watkins Glen boot 35
Week 6 Road Atlanta 45
Week 7 Mid Ohio 45
Week 8 Laguna Seca 40
Week 9 VIR 30
Week 10 Zandvoort GP 35
Week 11 Indy Road 40
Week 12 Spa 25

Every 2 hours at :15 past the hour-odd

Fun Williams FW31 fixed

Week 1 Zandvoort 15
Week 2 Laguna Seca 15
Week 3 Lime Rock 25
Week 4 Silverstone 15
Week 1 Zandvoort 15
Week 2 Laguna Seca 15
Week 3 Lime Rock 25
Week 4 Silverstone 15
Week 1 Zandvoort 15
Week 2 Laguna Seca 15
Week 3 Lime Rock 25
Week 4 Silverstone 15

Every 2 hours on the hour even

19Kilo

New build is out! And I just got to work ;_;

The Season 4 build includes two (actually three) of the most eagerly anticipated cars in iRacing history: the Williams-Toyota FW31 and the Mazda MX-5/Roadster. The Williams-Toyota FW 31 is the fastest and most sophisticated racecar ever built by iRacing, while the left hand drive Mazda MX-5 and right hand drive Mazda Roadster are among the world’s most often raced cars, from autocrosses and club racing up to entry level pro series.

But there’s more to Season 4 than these exciting new cars. We’ve enhanced the spectator function introduced in Season 3; now, in addition to watching races you’ll be able to “drive” in them as well, albeit in a ghost car - invisible to the real competitors but able to get a close-up view of their driving and, ideally, improving your own driving as a result. We’ll also debut enhanced graphics that deliver more accurate illumination levels, properly calibrated textures and much faster shadows based on shadow map technology.

The profile widget now enables you to upload pictures, enter information on personal interests and browse other member’s profiles, while the personal section of the stats pages now include the same information as the profile widget as well as a tab displaying the driving certificates and abilities of those other drivers.

Fixed1979

19Kilo said:
New build is out! And I just got to work ;_;

Niiice! Can't wait. So there's no more Solstice cars for the novice races anymore (not that it will be missed).

hrm, member site is down for me at work...

bee

downloading now, site is super slow for me but the download is going at 2mb/sec +, 520mb for me although it depends on how much content you own i guess, fun night ahead :D

bee

takes about half a lap to realise how much better it is than codemasters official F1 game, although the sound is nowhere near as good. the default sets are nice and stable (unless i'm driving) but i can see the races being crash city until people learn the car properly as its a LOT faster than the other cars as to be expected

found a lap on the forum that someone did around road america, seems he's about 1.2 secs off the really fast people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuSdwy2A3A0&hd=1

bee

LOVING the new update, the graphical changes whilst seemingly nothing too major do the game the world of good, most tracks now look so much better with improved lighting and new textures.

the mazda mx-5 is gonna be great fun for wheel to wheel racing, definitely an improvement from the solstice and the F1 car is is brilliant fun to drive but the sheer number of setup options is a bit bewildering but that's offset to an extent by them offering fixed sets for certain tracks like silverstone and zandvoort

there's an awful lot of races/practice going on right now too, probably the most i've ever seen, gonna jump in a mx-5 mid ohio race right now i think

19Kilo

Took an hour for my to download the update, so I only ended up with five minutes to get everything set up and test out.

Took the roadster for one lap around Lime Rock - nice! This is a great choice for the new rookie car, feels really really good.

Then I loaded up the Williams with high downforce at Lime Rock. Holy shit. So fast, so much grip. You can brake soooo deep into corners, it's ridiculous. My one-lap impressions were very good - it feels quite a bit better than FVA to me, and not even comparable to F1 2010 as expected. I don't know, it just has that iRacing "feel", smoothness and responsiveness that most of their cars have and puts them above the rest. Other F1 sims are going to seem more artificial now, like they're faking too much of the simulation. Can't wait to actually race this thing!

Also, looks like the AT&T Williams site posted about the release.

And a new promotion:

“We’ve developed a special half-price package that includes a three-month subscription, with all of our basic content and grand prix racing series open to everyone, plus the Williams-Toyota FW31 and two of the world’s legendary grand prix circuits – Silverstone and Zandvoort – for US$35.00.” (Promotion code is: PR-GPWire )

Not bad at all :D

Scipius

Watching videos of the FW31 doing laps of Zandvoort is really giving me GPL vibes. It's high time Kaemmer started doing Grand Prix cars again. Good stuff.

BTW, this thread has clearly become the iRacing OT; could a mod rename it?

bee

been driving the mx-5 at road atlanta all night, wow this cars fun to drive, it's gotta be in the top 5 sim cars of all time easily. was just in a 23 car 15 lap race which was extremely tense but so enjoyable, the back straight was like a chance to breathe :D

bee

on a related note i got my bodnar box for my G25 a couple of days ago, it's the newer cable version and i'm very impressed with the results and the general build quality of the product. the extra precision certainly does make a difference and i've gained time already in the few days i've owned it, all in all its a very worthwhile inexpensive mod and together with the nixim brake mod has completely transformed the stock G25 pedals. just waiting for the standalone fanatec shifter to complete my setup now and maybe a load cell

never noticed the online iracer stats on the dashboard before, is this new or has it been there for like a year? :p 3000 people online is impressive considering the niche market and that everyone is paying a subscription, that's over double the number playing live for speed and over half the lfs users are playing the free demo

jlevel13

So I'm giving this game a second chance (they emailed me a three months for $12 deal that pushed me back in). Definitely agree that the Mazda mx-5 feels much better to drive than the old rookie road car - now I'm thinking I need to pick up another road track as I'm a bit bored with the freebies Lime Rock and Laguna Seca. Any recommendations? I think this time around I want to concentrate on road races as those small ovals were what turned me off the game a bit before.

19Kilo

jlevel13 said:
So I'm giving this game a second chance (they emailed me a three months for $12 deal that pushed me back in). Definitely agree that the Mazda mx-5 feels much better to drive than the old rookie road car - now I'm thinking I need to pick up another road track as I'm a bit bored with the freebies Lime Rock and Laguna Seca. Any recommendations? I think this time around I want to concentrate on road races as those small ovals were what turned me off the game a bit before.

What car(s) do you plan on racing after the MX-5 when you get promoted to Class D (Skippy, Jetta, Mustang)?

I'd take a look at the Season 4 schedule and pick a track that will be included in the series you plan to run. Some tracks and variations are run multiple times each season, so you might want one of those.

Or if you plan on running the rookie Solstice or SRF I'd pick one of those tracks. Watkins Glen or Summit Point would be my recommendation for those.

Orgun

I picked up the 3 months for 1 deal and i'm giving this a go. I don't know if the FFB settings are borked or what but I'm not getting any feedback when I go over the kerbs.

Also bought the Williams F1 car, tried to drive it like I do in F1 2010 at first - didn't go so well :lol

jlevel13

Orgun said:
I don't know if the FFB settings are borked or what but I'm not getting any feedback when I go over the kerbs.

You definitely should be getting FFB effects there, so something is wrong...

Orgun

jlevel13 said:
You definitely should be getting FFB effects there, so something is wrong...

Hmm, I even turned up the FFB strength to 100 in the game. Now, while I wasn't get any feedback from the kerbs, going off the track nearly tore my fucking arms off :lol

Tomorrow should be a quiet day at work so I guess I can use that time to search their forums for answers.

Oh and does anyone have a suggestion for my first rookie race, I don't think jumping into an F1 race would be appropriate :)

Top Bottom