• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iRacing |OT| The Real Racing Simulator

markao

1-D_FTW said:
Well I only ran like 2 laps on Limerock when I posted that. After watching those, I'm down to 1:03.0xx. Though I've pretty much hit a wall at the 1:03 barrier.

Laguna Seca, which I actually did know, I was also 10 seconds off. Haven't played it since watching the video.

Honestly though, this info has pretty much killed my motivation. It seems like I'm always 3 seconds slower than the elite racers for on-line. I'm not sure there's any real incentive for me to continue. I can grind away with this slow car, on a couple tracks, and hope to improve... or I can go back to living in a cave with rfactor. There I can set the AI to a level that's comparable to my skill, be in the dark about what I should be running, and just have fun. Plus I can have my pick of courses and exotic cars without a single cost to me.
The beauty of the on line system from iRacing (iRating) is that you soon will race against people of your own quality (if there are of course enough people in that particular race). Don't get discouraged by the aliens out there, they will always be at least 1.5/2 seconds faster then most of us and for an even larger group, that gap will be bigger, specially in the beginning.

You soon find out that you will have races were you will finish in the top, even with this pace and it will feel far better then competing against AI with their same problems/mistakes on the same place in every single lap ;)

[edit]missed Iam's post ;)

1-D_FTW

I guess I'll have to do that. It's just after the gaf F1 league (where I was consistently 3 seconds behind the elite group) and the posts in here talking about needing to break 1:00 on Lime Rock, I thought maybe I should just stick to the drones in rfactor.:lol

If the matchmaking is decent, I've got 3 months for it to grow on me. I just didn't want to start another frustrating situation where I had no chance at ever winning.

Branson

Funky Functionality said:
GT5 has put a temporary stop to my iRacing activities... hopefully I'll be able to put in some good laps at Spa when it comes out.
Oh man, went back to iracing after the gt5 addiction and could not drive for shit :lol. Felt so out of it.

Branson

I'm afraid I might have the same problem. Driving iRacing for months after becoming bored with Prologue has made GT5 seem almost too easy.
Yea, you get use to the ability to just sling cars around corners and have it stick. Man was iracing a wake up call once I came back.

1-D_FTW

It's getting better. Got Lime Rock down to 1:01.5.

Do people make any adjustments to the car? I tried looking (though I probably missed it), but is there some place people post setups? It seems like there are a lot of things to play with on suspension. People aren't just using stock, are they?

jlevel13

1-D_FTW said:
It's getting better. Got Lime Rock down to 1:01.5.

Do people make any adjustments to the car? I tried looking (though I probably missed it), but is there some place people post setups? It seems like there are a lot of things to play with on suspension. People aren't just using stock, are they?

The rookie cars are all stock tunings and can't be adjusted, but once you rank up, you can start using tunings (on the non-rookie cars). Good tunings for each car / track are usually posted in the iRacing forums. When selecting a car there should be a link directly to that car's forum, where you can find custom set-ups for it (you have to download them to the documents/iRacing/specific car folder and then select that tuning in the options screen). Yeah, confusing just to try to type that.

1-D_FTW

Okay. Thanks for the future help. I guess I can screw with some of the settings because it's only test mode. I've yet to make it out of that stage.:lol

iam220

1-D_FTW said:
Okay. Thanks for the future help. I guess I can screw with some of the settings because it's only test mode. I've yet to make it out of that stage.:lol

1:01 eh? all it takes is practice :)

Why be stuck in test mode? The practice sessions don't affect your safety rating and are a lot more fun.

Arucardo

Wohoo! my first win and podium in the Mazda Cup! :D . Started from 3rd place and the first 4-5 laps were nerve racking. Didn't have the balls to really push it so I went for consistency and it paid off. Led the race for 18 laps at Lime Rock and my average lap time was over half a second faster to second place.

bee

spa looks fucking amazing, surely its gonna be out for christmas, can't wait already pre ordered

edit: it's currently back to $75 (£48) a year again with the current extra credits promotion, now subscribed until 2012-08-01 :D

bee

spa was just released, downloading now 183mb :D :D :D

edit: spa/williams fun series is now up also. holy shit following an F1 car through a laser scanned eau rouge on a G25 and with 3D vision is like sim racing heaven :D

Orgun

bee said:
spa was just released, downloading now 183mb :D :D :D

edit: spa/williams fun series is now up also. holy shit following an F1 car through a laser scanned eau rouge on a G25 and with 3D vision is like sim racing heaven :D

...your setup must be sick :) Jealous.

jlevel13

I only had time to do a handful of test laps on Spa in the Williams, but no surprise, it felt pretty great. It's actually the first road course I've bought so far (still trying to get faster at Laguna Seca & Lime Rock w/ the Mazda - sigh), so it was the first time I really got to drive that car on a track it was designed for & it definitely gave me some encouragement to keep putting more time in and trying to get better & rank up.

bee

markao said:
No real surprise, as like every other track it is completely laserscanned, but still the comparisons with real live shots are amazing.

iRacing Real Vs. Virtual - #12 Spa-Francorchamps

! damn that's the best comparison so far, the first shot of eau rouge i was waiting for the transition to game screenshot for ages then i realised it had done it like 5 seconds before, amazing stuff

Orgun said:
...your setup must be sick :) Jealous.

ye its pretty good but i need triple screen quite badly, next year i think. i always like this guys videos, sweet setup if you ignore the gloves :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJOlq3FCCTg&hd=1

jlevel13

So I (finally) got promoted to D class (road) and I wanna buy something, but I can't decide which series I want to tackle first - any opinions about the Mustang Cup, the Jetta TDI Cup or the Skip Barber Race Series?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
jlevel13 said:
So I (finally) got promoted to D class (road) and I wanna buy something, but I can't decide which series I want to tackle first - any opinions about the Mustang Cup, the Jetta TDI Cup or the Skip Barber Race Series?

How long did it take you to get to D class? I'm still a rookie but admittedly haven't put any time into the sim due to both Dirt 2 and F1 2010. But man, I soooooo wanna get out of the tin tops(Mazda MX5) and into some open wheelers. I'm longing to race that Skippy. I hear it's so fun to drive it should be outlawed :D

jlevel13

isamu said:
How long did it take you to get to D class?

In theory, it really didn't take to long, in practice, because I farted around and played other games and didn't consistently ever put time into it, it took 2-3 months of occasional playing, but there's no real reason anybody couldn't rank up in a month (I did rank up to D first in oval, I think the first month I tried out the game). The requirements to rank up... do at least 4 races and 3 time trials and increase your safety rating from 2.5 to at least 3.0 aren't much. I'm definitely going to try to get to C by the end of January.

bee

i wouldn't be surprised if they picked interlagos for its insane bumpyness so as to show off the laser scanning to its fullest

skybaby

bee said:
i wouldn't be surprised if they picked interlagos for its insane bumpyness so as to show off the laser scanning to its fullest
It's not as bumpy anymore... plus it gets repaved every year so the bumps change places :p

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
bee said:
edit: it's currently back to $75 (£48) a year again with the current extra credits promotion, now subscribed until 2012-08-01 :D

£48 per year? :( Without me doing any research (it's 3am here) what do you get for that exactly, just an unlocked game or are there any other benefits? Not sure if I am missing something here.

I think I tried the demo when I first got my G27 back in June, but may have i confused with rFactor.

bee

Gen X said:
£48 per year? :( Without me doing any research (it's 3am here) what do you get for that exactly, just an unlocked game or are there any other benefits? Not sure if I am missing something here.

I think I tried the demo when I first got my G27 back in June, but may have i confused with rFactor.

not entirely sure but i think you get 6 cars and 7 tracks in the base package and 1 years sub to the service of course. you get to be part of one of the most mature gaming communities out there and you get access to setup, replay etc files and the chance to join leagues and what not

the price has gone back up now though as that was a special offer, i think £48 a year is more than reasonable though, i can spend that on petrol for a single week quite often

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
bee said:
not entirely sure but i think you get 6 cars and 7 tracks in the base package and 1 years sub to the service of course. you get to be part of one of the most mature gaming communities out there and you get access to setup, replay etc files and the chance to join leagues and what not

Cheers. I'm all for maturity in racing online, used to play Papyrus Nascar with about 20 others every Tuesday night, we'd type 'PO' if we were coming out of the pits, stay left until the road was clear, lots of clean passing etc etc. Very clean racing through and through and it felt good at the end of the race, really felt like you were part of something. We used to also play Grand Prix Legends back in the day, great fun.

Will dust off the wheel this week and have a look at what I got to play, will check out this iRacing if I can't find a demo installed on the pc.

mclaren777

I didn't enjoy iRacing enough to want to encourage my friends to play it so here are three one-month memberships.

GioQr.jpg

amar212

mclaren777 said:
I didn't enjoy iRacing enough to want to encourage my friends to play it so here are three one-month memberships.
]

Thanx McL,

Unfortunately, none of them worekd for me so I guess I was not fast enough.

Thanx in any case!

DerrickH

Neo Member
On Tuesday, 2/15, my podcast, Dead Pixel Live will be interviewing Steve Myers on air. He's the Executive Vice President and executive producer at iRacing. We'll also be asking him questions from the from the audience. If you have something you want to ask about iRacing fell free to hop in the chat room or leave a comment in the forum at http://deadpixellive.com/component/content/article/35-show-news/1169-iracing-interview-on-215.

If you're interested in hearing about iRacing from one of the guys that has been there from the start, you shouldn't miss it. The show will start at 7pm on http://www.allgames.com.

Wish I would have saw that before I signed up today.

Sorry to bump the thread, but does anyone play this alot? I got a month trial to start out with. Hopefully it cures my PC racing itch.

So, I've been using it for about 2 weeks now, and I thought everyone here should know: if you have a G25 or G27, do yourself a favor and save up $250 for a Perfect Pedal:

yhst-40088755815412_2141_675202

This thing has made iRacing brand new again. Rather than rely on a linear sensor that measures the distance you move the brake pedal, it functions as a real brake does and responds to pressure.

The difference is astonishing. Every pedal set should have a similar solution for the brake pedal.

So, I've been using it for about 2 weeks now, and I thought everyone here should know: if you have a G25 or G27, do yourself a favor and save up $250 for a Perfect Pedal:

yhst-40088755815412_2141_675202

This thing has made iRacing brand new again. Rather than rely on a linear sensor that measures the distance you move the brake pedal, it functions as a real brake does and responds to pressure.

The difference is astonishing. Every pedal set should have a similar solution for the brake pedal.

I'd rather spend 200 euro on this

It might not have hydraulics but it does have a brake pedal with loadcell.

Besides that, you get a high quality piece of hardware that is fully customizable.

The hydraulic cylinder providing resistance is what makes all the difference. A load cell setup with a stiffly sprung pedal like that would work, but the feel of the pedal just wouldn't be as authentic.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Orgun said:
Just received the same, I was just about to post that :) I'm going to take them up on that offer.
I thought you already had a 1yr sub?

Top Bottom