• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iranian refugee killed,set on fire called police 85 times to report violent threats

Police repeatedly failed to protect a disabled Iranian refugee as neighbours waged a violent seven-year campaign of hate that culminated in his murder by a misguided vigilante, a report has concluded.

Avon and Somerset police officers may have been biased against Bijan Ebrahimi because of his race, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said.

The watchdog revealed that Ebrahimi made 85 calls to the force between 2007 and July 2013, when a neighbour punched and kicked him to death before setting fire to his body outside his Bristol home.

In 73 of the calls, Ebrahimi reported allegations including racial abuse, criminal damage and threats to kill, but police failed to record a crime on at least 40 of those occasions. Rather than seeing him as vulnerable, he was dismissed as a nuisance, the report said.

In the days before his death Ebrahimi called the police to say his neighbour Lee James had barged into his home and attacked him. Police did attend but arrested Ebrahimi, 44, rather than James. Neighbours, who wrongly believed he was a paedophile, cheered as he was led away.

Ebrahimi was allowed home and later called police to tell them a mob had gathered outside, pleading with them to send help. Hours later James murdered him.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/05/police-failure-protect-bijan-ebrahimi-murder-ipcc

Fire all who ignored the poor man and mistreated him. Also, kick all those piece of crap neighbors out of their homes. Let them feel a bit of remorse, if that's even possible.

cjp

Fire all who ignored the poor man and mistreated him. Also, kick all those piece of crap neighbors out of their homes. Let them feel a bit of remorse, if that's even possible.

Two of the officers were actually jailed.

Two men, beat manager PC Kevin Duffy, and community support officer Andrew Passmore, were both jailed over how they dealt with Ebrahimi after being found guilty of misconduct in a public office. They and two other constables, Leanne Winter, 38, and Helen Harris, 40, who arrested Ebrahimi, have been dismissed from the force.

Avon and Somerset police conducted misconduct proceedings against 17 officers and civilian staff. The report said there had been a “range of outcomes” and two other officers receiving final written warnings.

I can only imagine the desperation during years of abuse when dozens upon dozens calls for help go unanswered.

Incredible failure of police force. Their active ignorance goes so far in my eyes that they have become complicit in the murder.

Also an incredible level of hatred and racism from the community this poor man lived in.
Such a toxic neighborhood...

MKIL65

In 73 of the calls, Ebrahimi reported allegations including racial abuse, criminal damage and threats to kill, but police failed to record a crime on at least 40 of those occasions. Rather than seeing him as vulnerable, he was dismissed as a nuisance, the report said.

"To Protect and Serve"

The fact that his neighbors were complicit in the abuse means they haven't jailed enough people for this yet. What a goddamn catastrophe.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
At least they don't shoot every other black person they come by.

And UK seems to actually do something to these incompetent, willfully ignorant fucks.
Unfortunately the UK police often go the other way and are so afraid of seeming racist that they allow things like the rotherham sex ring to flourish for over a decade.

RangerX

Banned
I saw this on the news earlier. Out and out institutional racism was at play. I'm glad some of those involved have faced jail time but it's a disgrace that the man's concerns weren't dealt with and he'd still be alive.

Everyone involved in this is an absolute disgrace. Has to be one of the most terrible stories I've ever read. It actually angers me to read that people are treated this way, especially by police who are supposed to protect from such atrocities.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sta...ce-125-times/story-30415727-detail/story.html

Reminds me of this recent story, woman (who is white), reported a stalker 125 times. Would probably be dead if not for the passerby.

Also a case of a simple man living with his very old mother who used to get terrorized at his home on a council estate for years, no help from the police and eventually had an heart attack through the ordeal. Surely the council could arrange a move to a new area.

This is a daily living hell for people but the police don't act.

Slaythe

m7WQIb.jpg

Picture of the brave hero that murdered this muslim threat.

The UK is actually cancer.

Between the pregnant woman kicked to the point she miscarried, the acid thrown on a poor girl to disfigure her, this.

This is just a fucking disgrace. I feel sick.

Why did the neighbors think he was a pedophile? Wonder if one neighbor just made it up and spread rumors to get the rest of the community to join in

I think I've lost the last remaining amount of respect I had for the police in this country, the video footage of how one of the officers treated him down at the station the BBC showed earlier was despicable.

reckless

That's fucking horrifying.
Seriously. At least they were taken to task. If this was America they would at best be given temporary paid leave before bringing them back into the force.

I mean the worst punishment was just 10 months in jail for letting a guy get brutally murdered. I sure as hell wouldn't say they were taken to task.

Damn... between this and my own country... absolutely disgusting

when is this wave of hate going to be snuffed out

i feel sick for our collective future

Unfortunately the UK police often go the other way and are so afraid of seeming racist that they allow things like the rotherham sex ring to flourish for over a decade.

Go away with this nonsense. It's complete bullshit. Rotterham shocked the nation's conscience because of its rarity in how police allegedly chose to deal with the situation. If you sincerely believe that's why they allowed it to persist, I have a bridge to sell you.

It pointed out that after his arrest when Ebrahimi told Harris, one of the officers was sacked,that she was being racist, she told him he was being racist towards her and her colleagues because they were white.

You can't tell other people they are being racist, because that's racist.

Why did the neighbors think he was a pedophile? Wonder if one neighbor just made it up and spread rumors to get the rest of the community to join in

They did just make it up. This is a racist act by the community, not just one person. It just happened one was "couragous" enough to do horrible shit.

From an older article:

Mr Ebrahimi was murdered on 14 July, three days after he was arrested by police following complaints that he had been taking pictures of children near his home.

Officers examined his camera, videos and computer but found nothing suspicious and he was released without charge.

In sentencing the pair, who both lived near the victim, the judge described the murder as "deeply shocking".

He said it was "a vigilante crime" and "an act of murderous injustice", adding that claims that Mr Ebrahimi was a paedophile were baseless.

watershed

Banned
This is disgusting. Every single cop involved failed this man. His murder should be an indictment of the entire community.

R.I.P. Bijan Ebrahimi

This is the worst incident I've read about on this site in days.

Fuck the racist police that did nothing to prevent this.

Fuck the community that was involved in this.

And fuck the savage that could be so evil as to murder a disabled person and burn his corpse.

They should all be given life for this bullshit.

How can we stop the hate crimes if even the fucking police wont do jack shit?

MarionCB

In the days before his death Ebrahimi called the police to say his neighbour Lee James had barged into his home and attacked him. Police did attend but arrested Ebrahimi, 44, rather than James. Neighbours, who wrongly believed he was a paedophile, cheered as he was led away.

The article doesn't state how it could happen that when Ebrahimi was attacked in his own home and he called police, he was arrested, not his attacker. Then after, as the IPCC states, he suffered ”inappropriate arrest, humiliating and degrading treatment in custody and subsequent return home, without any meaningful risk assessment", he was murdered horrifically outside his own home by the man who had attacked him in his own home earlier.

Yes, this could and should have been easily prevented. The only way this makes sense, including the years of ignoring real complaints, is everyone, the neighbours, the police, being utter racist fucks.

Then as a bonus, in the classic shitlord style, Ebrahimi himself was accused by the police of being the real racist:

when Ebrahimi told Harris, one of the officers (who) was sacked, that she was being racist, she told him he was being racist towards her and her colleagues because they were white.

I'm glad that some police went to jail, some were dismissed. It shows the value of independent commissions to investigate official wrongdoing. Still, not enough people will be punished, especially thinking of the neighbours, but also the council and other agencies who failed this man too.

I'm disgusted.

Top Bottom