• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iranian refugee killed,set on fire called police 85 times to report violent threats

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Reminds me of that recent story about a murdered woman who complained about her stalker 125 times and police did nothing.

Absolutely horrible. WTF, UK

Reminds me of that recent story about a murdered woman who complained about her stalker 125 times and police did nothing.

Absolutely horrible. WTF, UK

I'm pretty sure she survived when a bystander intervened and the attacker ran off. But yea, police were equally horrible in both cases.

Edit: Incidentally that was also in the UK :-/

Two men, beat manager PC Kevin Duffy, and community support officer Andrew Passmore, were both jailed over how they dealt with Ebrahimi after being found guilty of misconduct in a public office. They and two other constables, Leanne Winter, 38, and Helen Harris, 40, who arrested Ebrahimi, have been dismissed from the force.

Avon and Somerset police conducted misconduct proceedings against 17 officers and civilian staff. The report said there had been a “range of outcomes” and two other officers receiving final written warnings.

I wonder if any of the people involved feel even a sliver of remorse that their inaction led to the death of a man who reached out to them time and time again for years for help.

rls

Banned
Go away with this nonsense. It's complete bullshit. Rotterham shocked the nation's conscience because of its rarity in how police allegedly chose to deal with the situation. If you sincerely believe that's why they allowed it to persist, I have a bridge to sell you.

he his 100% right, they chose to deal with the situation by arresting the white father who were trying to take back their daughter from their pakistani rapists

jonno394

This was from a few years back wasn't it, and is the case where they accused him of being a paedo and recording their kids, and the fact that he was publicly taken in by the police "confirmed" it to them?

I remember reading it back then and just being heartbroken by it.

Jonnax

Unfortunately the UK police often go the other way and are so afraid of seeming racist that they allow things like the rotherham sex ring to flourish for over a decade.

he his 100% right, they chose to deal with the situation by arresting the white father who were trying to take back their daughter from their pakistani rapists

So what are you trying to say in the context of this thread?
Better safe than sorry?

Or that institutional racism doesn't exist anymore?

Temascos

Neo Member
Incidents like this is why I don't feel pride for my country, absolutely sickening. I hope everyone responsible faces some measure of justice, bystanders get community service for YEARS, the felons face imprisonment for a long time and the police officers who neglected Ebrahimi lose their jobs (From reading the rest of the thread it seems to be a promising start)

But this could have been avoided in the first place, easily. If the justice system doesn't act on something like this, it can and WILL escalate to worse incidents. We need more police officers active in the community (Thanks crappy Austerity for damaging that capability) as well as greater diversity, the high profile racism that was in the police for years needs to be constantly fought, and from there as a start maybe we can prevent more horrific and needless acts of violence from occurring.

UK police have a reputation for lazy, work shy buggers. I know it's easy to bang the "budget cuts/underfunding" gong but the average uniform copper can't be arsed with doing the paperwork these days.

I remember the GAF thread right after it had happened. Insane that something like this was allowed to happen.

Glad it had repercussions with arrests at least. And hopefully those changes to the existing system is not lip service.

If I were in EU, I'd be grateful for Brexit.

Piss off with this bullshit. The story is hurrendous and if you lived in he uk has been pretty well known for awhile. This report says nothing we don't already l know but it isn't exactly normal behaviour.

When was the last time sometime like this happened?

Maybe people in the uk should be greatful for brexit the next time a German teen wants to shoot up a school or a new Joseph fritzel wants to start a new 'family'.

I mean, why are you surprised? White people are always painted in the best possible light, no matter how fucked up their actions.

Actually not even surprised anymore.

Just heard misguided vigilante the first time in this case. Is he the fucking Batman?

Guess he wasn't crazy enough to be labeled "mentally ill and misguided".

Jacknapes

This could (and should) have been prevented and stopped earlier, if the police actually did their jobs. I'm glad some police have either been arrested or are no longer with the force. But more needs to be done to prevent something like this occurring again

R.I.P. Bijan Ebrahimi.

The willingness to accuse people of paedophilia and the mass insanity that goes into enacting murderous violence never ceases to appal me about people in the UK. Civility is just a smoke-screen in this country.

velociraptor

Someone said a pregnant woman was kicked and she had a miscarriage? When/where did this happen?

Vigilante? Really? Fucking vigilante? Are you shitting me?

This has to be one of the worst things I have heard from another person.

What a fucking joke this country is.

What a failure the police are.

I genuinely believe the death penalty should be brought back for people like this. He set another person on fire, for fuck's sake! He will never be a good member of society.

Symphonia

Banned
It's the UK, not some backwards country
Contradiction, but okay. The UK is backwards when it comes to justice. Arresting the innocent refugee is a-okay, but fuck all is done about the mob who falsely branded him a pedo and beat him to death. But, sure, you carry on defending this country and it's supposedly strict justice system.

Symphonia

Banned
The willingness to accuse people of paedophilia and the mass insanity that goes into enacting murderous violence never ceases to appal me about people in the UK. Civility is just a smoke-screen in this country.
This and false rape claims can destroy lives, yet the people making these claims don't think of this. They don't care about the repercussions or the consequences of their actions - as long as they get their fifteen minutes of vigilante justice.

This is utterly disgusting. The whole district police should be held accountable here, and which ever neighbours were involved, in any beligerent capacity should be taken before court.

Vigilante? Really? Fucking vigilante? Are you shitting me?

Yeah, what the hell is this? He is a racist murdering psychopath. No two ways about it. Misguided vigilante is some bullshit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The fact there were seventeen officers involved in this case, of which thirteen are now still in the force, is disgusting and terrifying.

EDIT: Looking through of it, there's maybe two who were sufficiently distanced that their failure to intervene could be considered minor and just cause for final warning. There's at least eleven other people involved here who failed to follow Serious Threat to Life protocols, and yet have retained their jobs. That's evil, and the worst kind of evil - not done by intent, but built into the very structure of the system through apathy and neglect.

Izuna

Banned
Well, the 'civilized' UK let this thing happened, so don't pound that chest proudly just yet.

This isn't some every day thing and at least 6 officers have gotten in trouble including firings over the situation.

Also, police in different cities have different management etc.

This is shocking, It's not "of course, UK police suck".

So what are you trying to say in the context of this thread?
Better safe than sorry?

Or that institutional racism doesn't exist anymore?

I think this case, the Rottingham case, and the woman being stalked case show that a number of UK police are using an uncomfortable amount of personal discretion when deciding when and where to do their jobs.

Their job is not to police the political climate, their job is to save lives, no matter who walks through that door or makes a call, no matter what it looks like in the paper the next day, no matter what their personal feelings are about the accused or the victim or the crime. Do your job.

It is comforting that at least some people have been fired in all 3 instances, which is more than I can say for the US.

Contradiction, but okay. The UK is backwards when it comes to justice. Arresting the innocent refugee is a-okay, but fuck all is done about the mob who falsely branded him a pedo and beat him to death. But, sure, you carry on defending this country and it's supposedly strict justice system.
Not directly trying to argue with you but they have done something about the killers and the police involved were either jailed or fired.

How can anyone burn an innocent person's body.

Seriously fuck that person he should never see the light of day. I hope he fucking rots in jail. I have never been this pissed.

Aki-at

When I read the headline I didn't even register in my thought process this was in the UK.

Disgusting, neighbours need to face some sort of punishment too. A complete and disgusting failure.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
To the police: Do you want roaming bands of ethnic vigilante gangs?

Because this is how you get roaming bands of ethnic vigilante gangs.

bionic77

Auctopus

Blame outlets like the DM and shit-piece oxygen-thiefs like Hopkins and Farage. They've purposely used militaristic and violent rhetoric in their hottakes of the country's current climate. They deserve a large stake of the blame.

velociraptor

Oh wow. This has to be one of the worst things I have read on the news, and 2017 has been a shit year all round for bad news.

So

- Assaulted a pregnant woman
- Killed two babies
- Assaulted a police officer

Gets 3 years.

Seems legit.

Someone should sack that fucking judge.

Symphonia

Banned
That's horrific. Avon and Somerset must be racist holes. Are they predominantly white areas?
I live in Bristol. I'd say it's equally mixed when it comes to race. Of course, as per the norm, there are some areas where one race is prominent than others, but you get that everywhere.

How is the uk backwards when it comes to justice. is this the norm?

faridmon

Unfortunately the UK police often go the other way and are so afraid of seeming racist that they allow things like the rotherham sex ring to flourish for over a decade.

Piss off with that

Rotherham was actually tackled well by the police, did a lot of arrest and just nullify the whole ring within a work of heavy investigations.

UK police have a reputation for lazy, work shy buggers. I know it's easy to bang the "budget cuts/underfunding" gong but the average uniform copper can't be arsed with doing the paperwork these days.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this statement.

As much as the budget is affecting the whole force, there are dozens of cases where they don't take it seriously and the level of investigations in some are just borderline insulting.

Top Bottom