• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Maiden Is Suing The Game Ion Maiden

wipeout364

18951.jpg

1974 by the way

Last edited:
was directly related to the font on the logos being similar.

Sure, I hadn't read all your post before replying and noticed that you were only talking about graphic design, sorry! Consider my points as valid but separate then (also I don't know the ins and outs of copyright law and if they include phonetics and such).

Very far fetched indeed.

It is a bit I guess. Bands who get caught up in lawsuits can find themselves entangled for years. It's be a shame if that happened here for both The Irons, and er, the Ions.

Cheers.

WindomURL

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.

Or, in this case, that greatness can pay to greatness. The game is fantastic.
These fogies should unbunch their panties and enjoy their cultural cachet.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I actually think Iron Maiden has a fair case here. Ion Maiden is channeling a lot of metal influences... there's actually a reasonable likelihood of confusion. They'll probably just change the name of the game. But what do I know, I'm just a lawyer.

Ion Maiden is one of the cooler looking old-school shooter callbacks coming out, in part thanks to that goofy pun.

I literally just read that as IRON not ION, and thought WTF are you talking about, Maiden being a shooter band?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Good evidence for their case perhaps?

MiguelItUp

Ah yes, the desperate cries of a classic band that won't get more than its classic fanbase. They're grasping at the straws with this. So silly.

I absolutely love Iron Maiden but this is fucking bullshit. It's a sad reflection of what happens when artists become corporations, they're become soulless husks driven only by property management. No fucking way the band that wrote so many badass rebelling anthems would do this, this is clearly not the same motivation behind the creative force that's well in the running with Slayer and Death for GOAT metal awesomeness.

In short:

kxv3w1kfup0z.jpg

You used to be cool man!

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Knew this would be problems for 3drealms. It needs a name change and quickly. As a huge Iron Maiden fan, every time I've played Ion Maiden the first
thing that crosses my mind is "Iron Maiden". So there's no doubt it's causing confusion and watering down Iron Maiden's legal trademark.

3drealms needs to Run to the Hills and change that name quick! :messenger_beaming:

Duellist

If they wanted their game to piggyback on the name of a famous band, wouldn't they pick a band that is actually relevant nowadays?
When I hear Iron Maiden the first thing that comes to my mind is a bunch of geriatric rockers on wheelchairs in a retirement home.
The main member of the band is in his 60s...
Hahahaha you have no clue, seriously.

Duellist

This brought up something from back during the genesis days. I always wondered how they got away with this game. You cant tell me that there is not a striking resemblance to Eddie.
220px-Chakan_Coverart.png

#Phonepunk#

Banned

the band rules and is all-time awesome.

puns suck. puns should not be in a title of your artwork, be it a painting, movie, videogame, etc.

game actually looks cool. hopefully this raises more awareness than they lose in court fees.

Last edited:

Duellist

You can be an Iron Maiden fan and still condemn them for being shitty in this instance.
But they are not being shitty. It be like naming it juds priest,blck sabbath,Metalica, megadeath,slipnot. Now do I believe they need to go for 2 mill? Not really, maybe just a cease and desist. Also, I'd bet the band has nothing to do with it and its managment.

Helios

Also, I'd bet the band has nothing to do with it and its managment.
All the more reason to not defend them. Iron Maiden is not an original name and their concerns outlined in the OP are complete bullshit. I hope they can at least settle for a name change, which will be a blow to the game's marketing but they'll live. The problem is that whichever way the lawsuit goes, it will no-doubt affect development. Even more so if they actually (which I doubt) win those outrageous 2 millions.
It's as shitty as Bethesda suing Mojang for the game Scrolls.

Last edited:

somerset

A simple court win unless the issue of *parody* can be invoked. Likely outcome- game changes name and has some cosmetic changes.

Yanks never get trademark law. Think it applies when it doesn't, or doesn't when it does.

Most hilarious. WWF. Yanks actually thought their wrestling company could win in court. A 100%, zero doubt, obvious *loss*- yet WWF (as then known) wasted hundreds of millions of dollars in one of the most moronic attempts in legal history. But heaven, were they crucified in court by the british.

Yanks *think* Apple won- but they simply paid whatever the Beatles asked for, because Apple was in a far *worse* position than even the (then named) WWF.

Orenji Neko

A simple court win unless the issue of *parody* can be invoked. Likely outcome- game changes name and has some cosmetic changes.

Yanks never get trademark law. Think it applies when it doesn't, or doesn't when it does.

Most hilarious. WWF. Yanks actually thought their wrestling company could win in court. A 100%, zero doubt, obvious *loss*- yet WWF (as then known) wasted hundreds of millions of dollars in one of the most moronic attempts in legal history. But heaven, were they crucified in court by the british.

Yanks *think* Apple won- but they simply paid whatever the Beatles asked for, because Apple was in a far *worse* position than even the (then named) WWF.

Seems odd to share your point of view, whilst simultaneously making broad generalizations about an entire country, or group of people. Last I observed, this site is neither visited exclusively by Europeans, nor Westerners for that matter.

It’s never a good thing to make claims about what one person, or many people, are thinking; that suggests you are a mind reader, and then of course it’s attached to the “Yanks” generalization. For example, no judge worth anything will accept what one person claims that somebody else was thinking.

If so-called Yanks as a whole didn’t explicitly state they thought exactly as you outlined above, and remember you generalized so you need a statement from all of them; It seems better to avoid making such sweeping statements in a public venue, complete with an audience to witness it.

Last edited:

capnc

Neo Member
I guess the main issue is the similar name. They should have called the game Metal Maiden or something (lol).

wipeout364

I thought Apple did win in 2007 in their third attempt? Regardless this kind of IP protection is garbage in my opinion it reeks of the EDGE lawsuits and intimidation through lawyers.

StormCell

Nice try, but none of the cases you've cited have anything to do with this one, nor are any of them very likely to be referenced here.

The only thing that's shitty here is that 3D Realms will have to pony up for the legal defense until they can get it covered by Iron Maiden. I hope they're willing to fight this one, because this is totally frivolous and without merit. Names aren't the same. Logos are nothing alike. Fonts are dissimilar. The one has nothing at all to do with the other.

And did I make it clear that people who don't give half a shit about Iron Maiden, and we are the vast majority, have no problem not confusing these two things? I'm sure that most people noticing Ion Maiden don't even know a single Iron Maiden song.

stranno

Maxis holders (EA) should sue Rodriguez/Miller's Sin City. It sounds suspiciously similar to Sim City.

Catphish

Omg, fuck off, Harris, et al.

Maiden's rich as fuck, old as fuck, and washed up as fuck. They haven't put out a decent record since 1989. Do these codgers really have nothing better to do? I haven't cringed this hard at a band lawsuit since Ulrich and Metallica went after Napster.

Kadayi

Banned
But they are not being shitty. It be like naming it juds priest,blck sabbath,Metalica, megadeath,slipnot. Now do I believe they need to go for 2 mill? Not really, maybe just a cease and desist. Also, I'd bet the band has nothing to do with it and its management.

Holy fucking shit. The term Iron maiden predates the band. They don't have exclusive ownership over the term. That fact they're gubbing for a hand out when they're basically all multi-millionaires is pretty fucking sad tbh.

Top Bottom