• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ironcast |OT| Permadeath without the controversy

jonno394

vloPG6P.png

jXw1a6f.png

UK eShop | USA eShop | Steam | PSN UK | PSN USA

Reviews

jonno394

Yes, yes, another OT for an old Indie game that is releasing on Nintendo Switch from Jonno394! Threw this together yesterday just to create some awareness for a game I've been hyped about for quite some time, Switch feedback seems really positive so looking forward to getting this now it's on the Eshop.

Bombless

Enjoyed this greatly on PC when it released. It's pretty simple on the surface but you really need to master your mech's weapons/defensive systems later on.

xrnzaaas

I bought the PS4 version after watching TotalBiscuit's video, he did a really good job at selling it. The game is really fun to play if you enjoyed Puzzle Quest, however it gets kind of annoying that it forces a long grind in order to unlock better abilities and to stand a chance against the bosses (you won't defeat the first one on your first or even tenth try).

jonno394

Yeah footage of the game is what really sold it to me, looks simple on the surface, but you can tell there's a lot more to it than meets the eye!

Bulbasaur

Banned
I was interested in this steam punk Switch game untill I saw it was tetris. I'm not belittling it, I'm sure it could be fun, just not my cup of tea.

I was interested in this steam punk Switch game untill I saw it was tetris. I'm not belittling it, I'm sure it could be fun, just not my cup of tea.
Tetris? Looks more like Match-3 to me.

I'm interested in this game but I'll have to wait for a sale just because it's been so cheap on other platforms.

xrnzaaas

Yes the game is based on Match-3 model, but simply connecting objects of the same color won't get you anywhere (every type of an object is a different resource and you can't hold an unlimited number of resources). You also must plan a lot in this game if you don't want to keep failing missions (when and what targets to attack, when and how to defend and heal, which abilities to purchase, which mechs to use, which missions to pick from the random pool and stuff like that).

jonno394

Tetris? Looks more like Match-3 to me.

I'm interested in this game but I'll have to wait for a sale just because it's been so cheap on other platforms.

Yeah it's match 3, not Tetris. Match 3+ of the same nodes to power up your battle abilities (such as moving, repair, shield, attack etc)

legbone

Just watched totalbiscuit's video. This looks quite fun and interesting. I suck at strategy games but the setting intrigues me. Might have to pick this up. My backlog is saying no but my heart is saying yes. Wish you could play as the French though. :p

Xater

I thought the PC game was great except for the balancing. It felt way too hard. Since they redid that part and I heard less complaints about the difficulty here I might pick it up again.

danowat

Banned
Yes the game is based on Match-3 model, but simply connecting objects of the same color won't get you anywhere (every type of an object is a different resource and you can't hold an unlimited number of resources). You also must plan a lot in this game if you don't want to keep failing missions (when and what targets to attack, when and how to defend and heal, which abilities to purchase, which mechs to use, which missions to pick from the random pool and stuff like that).

Yeah, I brought it on PS4 ages ago, and it's a really good game, very underated, but then again there are a million of other great indie gems on many storefronts that go uncovered.

TehOh

Going to post some more detailed impressions later, but I really dig this. Got a Switch review code a couple of days ago. It's a really clever take on "match-3" games, and it uses HD rumble in a fun way.

deadfolk

Great stuff. Im in the UK so i posted the thread when it went live here. Just on my way home to download this, just hope i don't lose too much time to it!

Lol - I'm in Ireland. I was only looking for NA because all my Nintendo eDollars are on the NA shop. Downloading now.

Tuesday is going to kill me if Sonic goes up late.

Thores

I saw this on the eShop's Coming Soon page and it looks like a really unique and intriguing experience. August is already going to kill my wallet with video games though, so I don't know if I should shell out the $15 for this. Sounds like the difficulty is pretty unforgiving, which I don't always have the patience for these days.

deadfolk

I saw this on the eShop's Coming Soon page and it looks like a really unique and intriguing experience. August is already going to kill my wallet with video games though, so I don't know if I should shell out the $15 for this. Sounds like the difficulty is pretty unforgiving, which I don't always have the patience for these days.

It's only $12.99 US.

7threst

Just downloaded this because of this thread. I loved Bejeweled and games like that. I am afraid this might be to much strategy for me but support this anyway. Somebody said you keep dying and ding on the first boss, kinda worries me but damn, Imma play this!

xrnzaaas

Just downloaded this because of this thread. I loved Bejeweled and games like that. I am afraid this might be to much strategy for me but support this anyway. Somebody said you keep dying and ding on the first boss, kinda worries me but damn, Imma play this!

Don't worry about that. Each session can be fun, because of the randomness of the missions (you take part in series of standard fights before getting to the first boss) and how the game is designed. Also each time you finish a playthrough (aka die ;)) you still get commendation tokens and you can spend these on new things. The only question is how much time you can spare to unlock enough stuff to stand a chance against the two main bosses.

Ok the rebalancing of this version makes it much more enjoyable. Can now highly recommend it.

It's easier or tougher on the Switch? ;)

Really tough game. Liked the idea and setup, just didn't have the patience for it.

It is tough. Then you realize that enemy part focusing is THE cornerstone of strategy.

Right now my build is all shield, no mobility. My skills are an energy and ammo absorber plus a buff to next weapon hit. My initial goal the first round is to destroy what ever high power weapon would hit through my shield right away with a concentrated assualt and ignoring the spread/splash damage focused weapon. After that, shield systems go down unless the mech is a mobility type.

You really have to examine each cast to see where the focus needs to be. Once you trap them in a cycle of repair/shield or mobility boosting, they can't fire on you.

jonno394

Finally got round to starting today, died a couple of times already but it's really enjoyable so far. I like the commendations system where you get rewards for dying.

This game is awesome! Played it almost non-stop yesterday, it scratches both the Puzzle Quest and roguelike itch I was hoping it would.

It's pretty tough for a match three game (rogue-like moniker well earned here) , but it makes those rare times when you get the perfect drops in a run and just own everything all the more rewarding (ala Binding of Isaac). The commendation system (which gives you permanent beneficial unlocks like +XX hp per lvl up, +4% xp, new commandants and mechs etc) also goes a long way to make you feel like you're still making progress in the face of repeated failure.

Super worth the extra couple bucks to nab this on Switch (vs. Steam), amazing portable game. Very light on the battery usage as well.

jariw

Fantastic game! Haven't played the Steam version, so I don't know were the differences are in balance, but so far it has been really great.

Don't miss this game if you like turn-based strategy games.

GDGF

Soothsayer
You guys weren't kidding about this game's difficulty. Finally beat the first boss. Looks like there's a lot left to do.

Game is addictive as hell, btw.

Top Bottom