• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

zbarron

I just made my first bread in over a year to go with some soup for tonight. I started simple with a no knead loaf.
30081030236_700979ed16_b.jpg

30001491622_cc56d2c430_b.jpg

Sorry for crummy cell phone pictures.

Also here's a bonus creepy animation Google likes to make from my pictures.
img_20161004_133605-afaqrc.gif

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mean to advertise my own business but we are speaking of restaurant life and my new place is almost ready to go.

We are soft opened right now so limited hours but will start opening all day everyday pretty soon. Let me know if any of you plan on visiting!

14462720_10155187516563238_2769838600740399007_n.jpg

https://www.yelp.com/biz/side-chick-arcadia

would you be willing to share the recipe for the matcha soft serve >>? I'm a few thousand km to far away to come and eat at your place :D..

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I've an old german cheesecake recipe from my grandmother, the cake is actually made with Quark and instant vanilla pudding in that recipe lol..but really really tasty. if anyone is interested in such a strange cheesecake recipe I'll share >>

IIRC this kind of recipe was or maybe is still widely used in some homes at least in germany.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Have you looked at hotels?

I did try to apply for some hotel positions in LA earlier this year, but none of them would accept an application unless it was in person. Lame. The pastry departments at José Andres' restaurants inside SLS hotels are kind of pipe dream: those places are stunning in person.

If you dont mind me asking, what state are you located in? :)

Seattle metro area (which is pretty underwhelming for bread and pastry shops, tbh)

I just made my first bread in over a year to go with some soup for tonight. I started simple with a no knead loaf.
30081030236_700979ed16_b.jpg

30001491622_cc56d2c430_b.jpg

Sorry for crummy cell phone pictures.

Also here's a bonus creepy animation Google likes to make from my pictures.
img_20161004_133605-afaqrc.gif

That looks really good! Do you carve out the insides and pour the soup in?

zbarron

That looks really good! Do you carve out the insides and pour the soup in?
Nah. The Mrs. isn't the biggest fan of bread bowls. We had the soup served in mugs and dipped slices of the bread in. I liked to butter the bread and add some fleur de sel on it before dipping. Very simple and comforting meal.

If you're interested in making the bread it's super simple. Here is the updated recipe I used. Watch the 5 minute video to see how simple it is. It turns out really good too for how little effort it takes.

If you're using enameled cast iron they recomend not heating it empty so I put the dough in the cold dutch oven and then put it in the cold over and then set the oven for 450. I added 5 minutes to the cover on time.

I did try to apply for some hotel positions in LA earlier this year, but none of them would accept an application unless it was in person. Lame. The pastry departments at José Andres' restaurants inside SLS hotels are kind of pipe dream: those places are stunning in person.
That's... curious. Marriott and White Lodging hotels only accept online applications for their hirings, for comparison.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I don't mean to advertise my own business but we are speaking of restaurant life and my new place is almost ready to go.

We are soft opened right now so limited hours but will start opening all day everyday pretty soon. Let me know if any of you plan on visiting!

14462720_10155187516563238_2769838600740399007_n.jpg

https://www.yelp.com/biz/side-chick-arcadia

When are you open this Wednesday?

My last day in LA tomorrow before flying back to NZ Wednesday night. Pasedena might be a bit far out from where I am staying but I am in Glendale tomorrow for lunch.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Awake since 5 AM, already made three cheesecakes (two small, one medium sized) and ate carbonara because I had one egg yolk left...my sleep problems have an upside.

Edit: aaaand I fucked up the cakes.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I demand pictures!

everything went well...
KWxQ61nh.jpg

the egg white foam was beautiful
FSiJ9Gmh.jpg

I used bread crumbs, like my grandmother used to
rBFjRERh.jpg

and put them in the ovens
GsWP35zh.jpg

3vNlpVqh.jpg

put along the way...the medium sized cake decided "why not collapse?"
BZAHepPh.jpg

-_- just look how ugly its bottom is, it has a reverse muffin top lol.
ikV7n2Kl.jpg

sorry for so many pictures

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I fail to spot the "fucked up" part in those pictures.Only thing I'd do differently would be using a spring form instead of a cast iron (?) pot for baking the maller ones..

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I fail to spot the "fucked up" part in those pictures.Only thing I'd do differently would be using a spring form instead of a cast iron (?) pot for baking the maller ones..

does not look how it's supposed to look >.<! are there springforms this small? I used le creuset mini cocotte with a 10cm diameter and a springform with 16cm diameter.

on the other hand, I should not compare my first try to the cake I know from my grandmother, a woman who made that recipe the first time when she was 20 lol...

Edit: taste is good tho.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smallest (round) springforms I know are 12cm.
As for the looks. you could try a little less temperature and a little longer baking time instead.

Nah. The Mrs. isn't the biggest fan of bread bowls. We had the soup served in mugs and dipped slices of the bread in. I liked to butter the bread and add some fleur de sel on it before dipping. Very simple and comforting meal.

If you're interested in making the bread it's super simple. Here is the updated recipe I used. Watch the 5 minute video to see how simple it is. It turns out really good too for how little effort it takes.

If you're using enameled cast iron they recomend not heating it empty so I put the dough in the cold dutch oven and then put it in the cold over and then set the oven for 450. I added 5 minutes to the cover on time.

Ooooooo

Gonna give this a try this weekend for Canadian thanksgiving. Up until now the only bread I've made is sweet potato burger buns that I saw on food wishes

everything went well...
KWxQ61nh.jpg

the egg white foam was beautiful
FSiJ9Gmh.jpg

I used bread crumbs, like my grandmother used to
rBFjRERh.jpg

and put them in the ovens
GsWP35zh.jpg

3vNlpVqh.jpg

put along the way...the medium sized cake decided "why not collapse?"
BZAHepPh.jpg

-_- just look how ugly its bottom is, it has a reverse muffin top lol.
ikV7n2Kl.jpg

sorry for so many pictures

The collapse may have been from when you mixed the CC into the whipped egg whites. If you over mix (i recommend adding the CC to the whip in 3 part portions using a whisk) then when you bake, they will rise then immediately fall + collapse.

You should invest in springform pans and use a water bath also with aluminum foil covering them so they dont burn on the top like that/overbake :)

Zyzyxxz

When are you open this Wednesday?

My last day in LA tomorrow before flying back to NZ Wednesday night. Pasedena might be a bit far out from where I am staying but I am in Glendale tomorrow for lunch.

Only open for dinner from 5-9pm sorry!

I completed my first full shift at my new restaurant this past tuesday.

The "Sous" (although formal titles don't exist on our team since everyone is crucial) said I did a great job and is really looking forward to working with me. She sent me home with a box of cookies that the owner is best known for (she wrote a book on them and sells them in shop) and they were to die for. Rugelach is slowly becoming one of my favorite new cookies.

The Sous also couldn't believe I had only been in the industry for a year. She said I have such confidence that it looks like I've been doing this for a lot longer. I feel really empowered and excited to work at this place. Hopefully I keep doing well and can work my way towards learning all their recipes. It feels so good to be back in the industry :)

thespot84

Why is OnkelC banned?
image.php

He was being a little obtuse in that munchies thread but that doesn't seem ban worthy. maybe a self ban?

Anyone here have experience with koji outside of sake? I read you can dry age steaks with it, season salt, make amasake, etc. Seems versitile

So I've been making beef broth and chicken broth lately. I've never screwed up chicken broth and it all turned out exactly as it should, but I suck at beef. I can make a great beef stew and I've made ox tail stew as well before.

So I bought a huge bag of bones from a butcher shop for $5. The girl said that it should do well to make two batches in my 10qt pot. My first attempt resulted in this white gelatinous mess. I just tossed the bones in with a little bit of vinegar and probably boiled too hard for too long. Any case, it's gone and lesson learned. My second attempt, I roasted the bones in the oven at 450 for 30ish minutes (maybe 45). They smelled really good and had a nice char to it, plus there was some drippings in the roasting pan. I put the bones in the pot. Then I added some water to the pan to scrap off the roasted bits and poured it into the pot. I added water to the pan a couple times to help add whatever fat was left in the pan to the pot. I put it on my back simmer burner on low. I added some small onions and celery stalks for flavor (didn't have carrots or potatoes on hand). I let it sit there for about three days. Every day I skimmed the top of the broth to get rid of the build up gunk. This time it turned out well. There was a nice layer of fat on top, and the broth has turned into a jelly upon cooling. My only issue is that the broth is still very pale in color. It's nearly the same color as my chicken broth. How do I get that rich deep brown color like every one else? I plan on buying another bag of broth bones. Should I ask for the soup bones as well (I believe those have a chunk of meat around the bone)? The broth bones pretty well picked clean of any meat.

Why is OnkelC banned?
image.php

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo pls dont be perm

So I've been making beef broth and chicken broth lately. I've never screwed up chicken broth and it all turned out exactly as it should, but I suck at beef. I can make a great beef stew and I've made ox tail stew as well before.

So I bought a huge bag of bones from a butcher shop for $5. The girl said that it should do well to make two batches in my 10qt pot. My first attempt resulted in this white gelatinous mess. I just tossed the bones in with a little bit of vinegar and probably boiled too hard for too long. Any case, it's gone and lesson learned. My second attempt, I roasted the bones in the oven at 450 for 30ish minutes (maybe 45). They smelled really good and had a nice char to it, plus there was some drippings in the roasting pan. I put the bones in the pot. Then I added some water to the pan to scrap off the roasted bits and poured it into the pot. I added water to the pan a couple times to help add whatever fat was left in the pan to the pot. I put it on my back simmer burner on low. I added some small onions and celery stalks for flavor (didn't have carrots or potatoes on hand). I let it sit there for about three days. Every day I skimmed the top of the broth to get rid of the build up gunk. This time it turned out well. There was a nice layer of fat on top, and the broth has turned into a jelly upon cooling. My only issue is that the broth is still very pale in color. It's nearly the same color as my chicken broth. How do I get that rich deep brown color like every one else? I plan on buying another bag of broth bones. Should I ask for the soup bones as well (I believe those have a chunk of meat around the bone)? The broth bones pretty well picked clean of any meat.

If your broth is pale in color, you may be adding way too much water.

What's your ratio of bones to water ?

If your broth is pale in color, you may be adding way too much water.

What's your ratio of bones to water ?
I added just enough water to cover the biggest bone which was a knuckle/joint bone. I think I wound up with about 5-6 quarts. I had 3 quart jars, and 7 half pints (8oz) and a small bowl of liquid after straining it all. I think it was a ten pound bag, and so I had 4-5 lbs of bones in there. It was enough to cover a 11x13 baking pan when I roasted them.

He was being a little obtuse in that munchies thread but that doesn't seem ban worthy. maybe a self ban?

Anyone here have experience with koji outside of sake? I read you can dry age steaks with it, season salt, make amasake, etc. Seems versitile
The mods here have banned for some pretty light reasons
but then again, criticizing them is ban-worthy so I'm not pursuing this

Haven't played with koji, sadly. The Mind of a Chef season 1 had an episode dedicated to it, though.

luoapp

I added just enough water to cover the biggest bone which was a knuckle/joint bone. I think I wound up with about 5-6 quarts. I had 3 quart jars, and 7 half pints (8oz) and a small bowl of liquid after straining it all. I think it was a ten pound bag, and so I had 4-5 lbs of bones in there. It was enough to cover a 11x13 baking pan when I roasted them.

Ultimately, it comes down to the taste. Does it taste meaty, rich, beefy? If that's the case, you can always add roasted vegs to make it darker, onions, carrots, even tomato.

le-seb

My first try at making William Lamagnère's Paris-Breizh, a revisited Paris-Brest featuring some salted butter caramel flavoured mousseline curd, roasted apples and caramel sauce:
J0DyXoawHMIUrPiNMgN7Qe6lfR-gxiuaq7tncSb0jYOu-6v_VsyvxHdne0bi6jttg-Y6Pz3Y2w=w1605-h939-no

Yes, yes, I know, it doesn't look terribly sexy, as neither the pâte à choux nor my oven were very cooperative today.
But I'll tell you anyway: it was effing delicious.

So I took this Canadian Cheddar Cheese Beer Soup that I made the night before and used it as a base for some super rich decadent Mac & Cheese.

Made 2 small casseroles and boy is it good. Didn't have any bread crumbs so I took some plain potato chips, crushed them up, and used them instead.

Kal

So I just got a shit ton of Callebaut milk chocolate chunks (bake stable); does anyone have a really good chocolate chip cookie recipe? I've tried different recipes but I can't seem to make one that tastes better than those sold in the supermarket bakery (which is also quite cheap - 50p for 4 large cookies). Thanks!

thespot84

So I just got a shit ton of Callebaut milk chocolate chunks (bake stable); does anyone have a really good chocolate chip cookie recipe? I've tried different recipes but I can't seem to make one that tastes better than those sold in the supermarket bakery (which is also quite cheap - 50p for 4 large cookies). Thanks!

prepare to read: http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-the-best-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

recipe directly here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/the-food-lab-best-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe.html

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
The collapse may have been from when you mixed the CC into the whipped egg whites. If you over mix (i recommend adding the CC to the whip in 3 part portions using a whisk) then when you bake, they will rise then immediately fall + collapse.

You should invest in springform pans and use a water bath also with aluminum foil covering them so they dont burn on the top like that/overbake :)

Thank you and sorry for not answering faster, I'm in a dark place right now.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I've been wanting a Dutch oven for a while and Sur La Table is having a sale on Le Creuset today. Is there any real reason to spend $130 on a Le Creuset Dutch oven instead of spending $50 on something from Lodge? Is it worth paying more than double?

zbarron

I've been wanting a Dutch oven for a while and Sur La Table is having a sale on Le Creuset today. Is there any real reason to spend $130 on a Le Creuset Dutch oven instead of spending $50 on something from Lodge? Is it worth paying more than double?
I own the Lodge 6 Qt Dutch oven as you can see in pictures earlier in this thread. This is a good video going over the two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQebHYkvTaY

While the Le Creuset is definitely higher quality, it's about what's important to you. Mine does it's job and I'm entirely happy with it, but I must say $130 is a good price. Le Creuset dutch ovens are beautiful and luxury. Best way to think of it is like cars. They'll both get you from A to B but one looks and feels nicer and has the little touches that make it a luxury good.

The issue with Le Creuset is when you get one piece you'll be wanting more. Then there's the issue of what color you want to collect, and then they release a new color when you have your collection well established.

If you have a Le Creuset outlet near by, even if you have to drive 1-2 hours it's well worth it. I lucked out into getting 50% off outlet price of a 6 3/4 dutch oven and ended up paying I think 130 for it.

I believe the most commonly mentioned issue with Le Creuset is that ostensibly you're not supposed to have the plastic knob in there over 350F, and for most of my baking with a Dutch oven I'm above that. Mostly use the Le Creuset we have for curries and things on the range.

I actually just bought another smaller Lodge Dutch oven to see how it will affect the no-knead vs the much larger one I'm using currently. Will report back.

Defyler

Le Creuset sells a stainless steel knob to swap out the normal plastic one for high temps. I bake bread in mine at 550F regularly.

The stainless knobs are usually $10-15 on amazon.

Top Bottom