• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've been cooking for myself and my family for well over 30 years now and have never once used a cast iron skillet. As kid my mom would never let me use them due to how hot the handle gets and as I got older I thought using and caring for them was way more trouble than they were worth.

Two nights ago my mom gave me one of her skillets. I decided today that I would give it a shot.

Steak and potatoes, easy peasy stuff.
NvPbp6c.jpg

2 minutes on each side about 6tbs of butter and garlic cloves to baste

After the steak was done I threw the potatoes in the pan to give them a bit of a crust before adding a cup of water and letting them boil and reduce while the steak was resting.

Legitimately a top 5 meal I've ever cooked for myself.

Probably sounds like hyperbole but I never want to cook in anything except cast iron again. Now it's off to clean the pan and let it dry in the oven.

Cast iron is amazing. I have a dutch oven with the lid that flips over to be used as a skillet. I have 3 smaller skillets. I got the set at the flea market for $20. I use those to make onions, peppers, and mushrooms. It also makes the best sunny side up eggs. One of the lids to my pot fits it perfectly and I follow the recipe from Test Kitchen show. A couple Christmases ago I got a mini 3" skillet from the secret santa here. It's the perfect size for making eggs and sausage patties for an english muffin breakfast sandwich. I also keep a griddle pan in the oven for indoor searing meats (be sure to let the cast iron pre heat too. It takes an extra 10ish minutes).

I use them all regularly indoors and on the charcoal grill.

Kal

Probably the better choice despite the extra cost. My wife was given one from the family around ten years ago and it's still working wonderfully. I've used it a couple of times this week in fact.

The only tip I can give is to run it for a few minutes each week, even if you aren't actually cooking with it. This will stop problems with grease forming/leaking from the mixer part (this happened to us a number of years ago with it, when we didn't use it for a few months; it's been fine since).

Thanks for the tip! Love it so far, but I'm having issues with the whisk attachment as it keeps hitting the sides of the bowl; I've adjusted the height of the mixer with the paddle attachment in place which is perfect but I'm worried that the whisk will get damaged (or scratch the bowl). So far I've made a couple of cheesecakes and a German chocolate cake, and I'll be trying profiteroles for the first time this weekend :)

Cast iron is amazing. I have a dutch oven with the lid that flips over to be used as a skillet. I have 3 smaller skillets. I got the set at the flea market for $20. I use those to make onions, peppers, and mushrooms. It also makes the best sunny side up eggs. One of the lids to my pot fits it perfectly and I follow the recipe from Test Kitchen show. A couple Christmases ago I got a mini 3" skillet from the secret santa here. It's the perfect size for making eggs and sausage patties for an english muffin breakfast sandwich. I also keep a griddle pan in the oven for indoor searing meats (be sure to let the cast iron pre heat too. It takes an extra 10ish minutes).

I use them all regularly indoors and on the charcoal grill.

Amen.

A cast iron skillet is one thing I've always wanted, but never got round to buying.

You've got to try it, I took the plunge recently.

Any recommendations for a spiral slicer?? I want something easy to use, but also affordable, and preferably would have multi-use abilities, plus of course, overall as cheap as can be, but not too cheap that it sucks ass.

Are those frozen banana into ice cream things any good?? I've been freezing left over portions of bananas in case it was something worthwhile.

So a lot of things are going to be changing around here as far as cooking goes. I've begun to substitute carb versions for veggie versions. I do pretty well with the cauliflower into rice, but I haven't tried mashed potato style yet. I've done a couple of squash into spaghetti. I used a peeler to take the skin off. Then I used my grater and ran the zucchini down the side to make the strips.

Here's a couple of my mini meals. I think they turned out pretty damn good. And they were fun to make.

A cast iron skillet is one thing I've always wanted, but never got round to buying.
Compared to some of the high end pans, cast iron is CHEAP. I mean, you can buy a skillet for $15-$20 at a store on sale. They sell them at World Market, and they're always having 50% off sales on kitchen and cookware. Just be sure to grab a set of handle covers. They have them in silicone and cotton padding. The down side to the cotton is it can easily catch on fire if it's too close to the flame on a gas stove. I've singed a couple of them to death when I was lighting the burner. Umm... oops. But I've done better on my second set and they're really cheap. I prefer them over silicone because it adds padding when you're carrying a heavy pan.

The best part about cast iron, if you destroy it, you can refinish it yourself. I've burned food on them before, had to scrub them pretty hard and messed up my seasoning. I just reseason it and then use them a few times for caramelizing onions or making fried eggs to help make it non stick again.

It's the cheapest pan you could ever use and abuse and forget about and love again. They never die. You could never do that with a non stick or even stainless steel skillet that cost the same amount. You'd probably spend at least 3 or 4 times that amount for a good skillet that would hold up as well as cast iron.

zbarron

Go for it. They're ridiculously cheap.

Are those frozen banana into ice cream things any good?? I've been freezing left over portions of bananas in case it was something worthwhile.

So a lot of things are going to be changing around here as far as cooking goes. I've begun to substitute carb versions for veggie versions. I do pretty well with the cauliflower into rice, but I haven't tried mashed potato style yet. I've done a couple of squash into spaghetti. I used a peeler to take the skin off. Then I used my grater and ran the zucchini down the side to make the strips.
I love frozen banana ice cream. You don't need one of those special tools if that's what you're asking. I just add the banana and any mix ins to my food processor/blender and start by pulsing and then run it until it gets smooth. Adding a splash of liquid like cream speeds up the process.

I'm even lazier when I make zucchini noodles. I just use the peeler the whole time. It gets me long thin strips.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I like old school cast iron pans, but having to season them kinda sucks and they may mess ceramic cooktops. I personally use Castey cast aluminium pans, which come with a dettachable handle so I can put them in the oven. They have the ease of use and lightness of a non-stick pan with the versatility of a traditional cast iron pan (as long as you don't inted to use them in a firepit or something like that).

I recently baked a Dutch baby in a large one and came out fantastic. I can also make pizzadillas in a pinch and clean afterwards in no time.

That said, I really, really want an enameled cast iron. Le Creuset is too rich for my blood rn, so I may settle for a cheaper (€50 or so) alternative. The Quid line (made by Arc) I posted a few pages back is kind of tempting.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Capital. Although I'm wondering... did dessert measure up?

She made a chocolate cake served with berries and coconut yoghurt.

Probably the best baked gluten free thing I have ever eaten, so she did pretty well considering it was vegan also which meant no eggs were used. Suffered from the usual slight dryness that gluten free stuff tends to have, but that was dealt with via the yoghurt and berries.

I'm even lazier when I make zucchini noodles. I just use the peeler the whole time. It gets me long thin strips.

Good to know on the bananas. I need a new one of those things too. My current one is a small 1 cup black and decker one. I got it from my aunt and the thing has never died, but it's so tiny.

I really like the smaller noodle shape. But I'd assume that would have the same problem as I did with the grater, once I got to the seeds, it stopped grating as smoothly.

I've been trying to learn how to make pie crust from scratch and had some successes but somehow I'm getting worse at it.

I've been tasked with pecan and apple pie for the in-laws so I guess they're getting pre-made crusts unless I manage to come with a breakthrough.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I've been trying to learn how to make pie crust from scratch and had some successes but somehow I'm getting worse at it.

I've been tasked with pecan and apple pie for the in-laws so I guess they're getting pre-made crusts unless I manage to come with a breakthrough.

Even with a pastry school background, this Serious Eats method beats most any other crust I've made. The Viennoiserie-style folds add a pretty unique and worthwhile step for extra flakiness.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It's winter and I made some food from my childhood that I hated back then and now love. Like 3-4 times a year..but not more often because it is quite heavy and fatty I want to keep it as something "special".

It's sauerkraut with pork belly and blood sausages. you fry the sauerkraut for a few miuntes in a tablespoon of butter, then you cook the sauerkraut for 2-3 hours with the pork belly on top. for the last 10 minutes you add the blood sausage. eat with pepper and mustard.

ndnBMbUl.jpg

this is for me alone, it'll last for a whole day and maybe for lunch tomorrow. fiancée does not like it so I make it on days I'm home alone.
It doesn't look nice, but tastes great.

I'm not a fan of flakey crusts because I find them too sweet with the filling. I've been using a recipe I found on allrecipes, and I've never had a complaint.
A pastry cutter is just a few dollars at Walmart and well worth the investment for making the dough. All pie crusts work best when they're cold. So if it's warm at your place consider letting it sit in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to cool down before you begin rolling. A pastry cutter help reduce the transfer of heat from your hands while you're working it.

I also have like zero counter space and I don't have the space to throw flour all over it and make a mess. I roll my crust between saran wrap sheets. It's a little harder on the first roll but it gets easier as it gets greasy. And much easier to transfer. I place the dish upside down with the top piece removed. I slide my hand underneath and flip it over. I can easily push the dough into the corner at the bottom and push out any air pockets. Then I remove the other piece of saran wrap.

The recipe I call for can make between 4-6 crusts depending on the size of the dish. So it works well with fruit pies that need two layers.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/15995/ruths-grandmas-pie-crust/

Yes Boss!

Couple new things. Whole head kimchi since it is the season and Arroz Caldo...a type of risotto with fresh ginger and fried garlic and thighs and fish sauce and crispy skin.

image_17.jpeg

Even with a pastry school background, this Serious Eats method beats most any other crust I've made. The Viennoiserie-style folds add a pretty unique and worthwhile step for extra flakiness.

This was the method I tried last night and it starting falling apart basically as soon as I started rolling it. My bowl was in the fridge beforehand, my butter and water was cold, the room was about 66 degrees, I weighed the flour. I'm sure I did something wrong but it definitely wasn't something that I can think of off the top of my head.

I think one thing I need to do is just adding more water. I'm shy to do it because every recipe tells you to go easy on the water but I think I need to just add more water and deal with the consequences. Also want to try the other version mentioned in the thread.

Nordicus

So, made some osso buco with my "new" dutch oven. Never tried the dish before.

Thank god it turned out pretty good (at least for my taste buds) because it would have sucked if I completely messed it up after being hungry since the beginning of the cooking near 3 hours ago.

Next gonna bake some no-knead bread in a few hours. See how that turns out.

Thank god it turned out pretty good (at least for my taste buds) because it would have sucked if I completely messed it up after being hungry since the beginning of the cooking near 3 hours ago.

Haha, there should be some obscure Japanese word or something that describes this sense of expectation and possible failure.

Nordicus

The no-knead bread, baked in dutch oven, was pretty interesting but all the other kind of work and waiting that replaces the kneading wasn't all that worth it in the end imo.

The crust was fucking heavenly tho, I'll admit that.
Haha, there should be some obscure Japanese word or something that describes this sense of expectation and possible failure.
I just personally call that the "red wine sauce incident"

Anyone have some good cookware recommendations? I'm looking for something in the $150 range, if not cheaper. Thanks in advanced!

Assuming you mean an entire set, the Cuisinart 11-piece stainless steel is $150 and usually recommended for that price range.

If you can stretch to a little over $200, this set is currently discounted 70%:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP-12N-Multiclad-Stainless-12-Piece/

The 7-piece variant is only $150 though. I hate glass lids so I'd go for that probably.

Yes Boss!

Made some Dakgalbi. Chicken and Korean vegetable...including the incredible Korean sweet potato and lots of cabbage. It is a communal dish but I just made a big batch as if it was cooking at the table. Made it in my rice cooker. Perilla leaves cooked inside and on the side.

image_18.jpeg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Looks great as always. Maybe one day I'll give a damn about chopsticks and learn to use them just so I don't make a fool of myself when I visit the usual Asian joint.

On the subject of Asian food, I have a small question: what's IronGAF's experience with frozen ginger? I've heard that you can buy it fresh and freeze it without issues, but I'd like to hear some opinions on this subject. While ginger isn't exactly an exotic ingredient over here, I rarely ever use it and I see no reason to buy a large piece when I only need a small amount of it from time to time.

luoapp

Looks great as always. Maybe one day I'll give a damn about chopsticks and learn to use them just so I don't make a fool of myself when I visit the usual Asian joint.

On the subject of Asian food, I have a small question: what's IronGAF's experience with frozen ginger? I've heard that you can buy it fresh and freeze it without issues, but I'd like to hear some opinions on this subject. While ginger isn't exactly an exotic ingredient over here, I rarely ever use it and I see no reason to buy a large piece when I only need a small amount of it from time to time.

I never freeze ginger. I just keep a chuck in the fridge, and it can be safely stored there for at least a month. It may wither a bit, but doesn't affect its flavor.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Pretty stressed right now. Have a possible job opportunity in LA with a hotel and restaurant to run their baking program, and they want me to fly down in a few weeks for an in-person meeting. It sounds like a lot to take on because the place is closed for heavy renovations right now and they're basically starting from scratch with the restaurant and tapas bar. If they end up offering me the job, the cost of breaking our current apartment lease in Seattle, finding a place and moving everything to Cali, and also getting married in April is freaking me out. 😥

Yes Boss!

In the States folks will often break pieces off in the store and just buy the nub they need, as it is sold by weight.

Info the same thing here in Korea. Every time I go to the store just break off a nub...even if I know I do not plan to use it and throw it into the fridge. Not sure if it is allowed like in the US but they always bag it for me. Like 15 cents worth.

Funky...you can always just peel it and put it in a little jar submerged in water. Stays fine like that even longer.

image_19.jpeg

thespot84

Assuming you mean an entire set, the Cuisinart 11-piece stainless steel is $150 and usually recommended for that price range.

If you can stretch to a little over $200, this set is currently discounted 70%:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP-12N-Multiclad-Stainless-12-Piece/

The 7-piece variant is only $150 though. I hate glass lids so I'd go for that probably.

I was expecting disc bottom pans for that price, that's pretty impressive actually, would be a great starter.

Also check second hand stores, people sell shit they have no idea about. I found an all-clad 8" stainless fry pan for $10 at a hipster consignment shop in brooklyn.

Nordicus

It is interesting just how much of a difference it makes in terms of sticking to my cast iron pan, whether bacon has 0.3% or straight up 0% sugar.

Significantly more babysitting involved with former

Liljagare

Got a 6 kilo ham going in the oven, at 120 celsius.

Will do moose meatballs after its done, then some moose sausage and pork ribs will be done on the BBQ later. Thats all we're having, alongside herring, gravlax and eggs with caviar and lemon mayo ontop.

Avocado stuffed with a shrimp mix (shrimp, avocado, lemon mayo, dill and caviar) will also be served cold. And potatoes, many, many potatoes.

But for us, the ham is the king, and queen. :)

Making some more sous vide cheesecakes to bring to my Dads for Christmas.

Going with an Oreo crust, and a White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake filling.

le-seb

I'm having a chicken for my Christmas dinner.

#YOLO
Roasted chicken with garlic rules.
I remember it to be my Christmas dinner a few years ago, and I regret nothing.

Tonight we'll be having some duck breast with a porto sauce, and tomorrow we'll be testing some tournedos rossini

Nordicus

Making some more sous vide cheesecakes to bring to my Dads for Christmas.

Going with an Oreo crust, and a White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake filling.
Funny that you mention cheesecake, today I made one myself.

The cheesecake filling has orange zest, kardamom and cinnamon, the crust is crushed gingerbread, with a gelatin layer of mulled wine (non-alcoholic) concentrate on top.

Very christmassy cheesecake.

So I don't know what exactly I should fix. I won't be cooking this weekend, we'll be having friends over on Wednesday next week. Give everyone time to get back home and have time for family.

So I could fix Chili, a more traditional Christmas Eve dinner for me.
A pork shoulder that I desperately need to make more room in the fridge.
Or a special Christmas dinner with a rack of lamb or prime rib or crabs.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
First Christmas since my mother died, so I was called in to do the cooking for the family gathering. NZ is summer so took the opportunity to barbecue.

I made bratwurst, vege skewers, potatoes, salad, and corn.

Random holiday cooking shots. Tiramisu:

IMG_5495.png

Making pierogies for Christmas Eve dinner:

IMG_5497.png

Said pierogies plated (daughter did place settings):

IMG_5499.png

Scone prep for tomorrow morning:

IMG_5500.png

Merry christmas, guys! Today is a big cooking day so I hope everyones meals turn out flawless :)

Horse Detective gifted me a HUGE Boo's Block for christmas yesterday. Ill upload pics while I'm making sugar cookies later. Its a chef dream come true 😱

Top Bottom