• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelloBoy

Neo Member
For those of you that make bread, I might need a few pointers...

I've been trying to bake french bread, but I'm finding that I'm having quite a bit of problems...I think it's the amount of water I add relative to flour but not quite sure. The dough is too soft that even when I let it "ferment" a second time, the dough just seems to collapse on itself so I only get small "cavities" and rather dense bread for lack of a better description, but when i lower the water content, the dough becomes difficult to "seal" when shaping it into a baguette or what not, and the dough doesn't seem to grow that much when fermenting either...

Any tips?

MelloBoy said:

I've been trying to bake french bread, but I'm finding that I'm having quite a bit of problems...I think it's the amount of water I add relative to flour but not quite sure. The dough is too soft that even when I let it "ferment" a second time, the dough just seems to collapse on itself so I only get small "cavities" and rather dense bread for lack of a better description, but when i lower the water content, the dough becomes difficult to "seal" when shaping it into a baguette or what not, and the dough doesn't seem to grow that much when fermenting either...

Any tips?
Hmm...My basic tips would be...
1. Are you pre-moistening your yeast? Yes = good.
2. Are you overworking your dough? Yes = Leads to dense product, whether brownies or bread.
3. Are you adding flour first, last, or gradually? First = easier to overwork. Last = may not distribute properly (though less likely to overwork). Gradually = better chance of success.

As for me, GAF, I'm searching for the best cinnamon bun recipe. Who's got a good one?

MelloBoy said:

Any tips?

Hm, this is hard to diagnose over the interwebs and I'm not sure what you mean by French bread (baguette? a loaf?), but:

What kind of levening are you using? Commercial yeast? Rapid rise? Instant? Or sourdough?

What kind of flour are you using? For most bread baking, try to find bread flour or high gluten flour. King Arthur makes a good bread flour that I like and it's available in most super markets in the US. It's in a white and light blue bag.

I don't really measure when I make dough, but I gauge it by touch, so maybe this will help. If you want really 'holey' bread, it should be a wet dough. Almost to the point that it doesn't hold shape when you pour it onto your kneading surface. But you say your bread is pretty wet, but still no holes? Maybe you're handling it too much. As an experiment, instead of shaping the bread, just plop it onto a baking sheet after the 2nd proof/rise and stick it in the oven. If there's more holes that time, then you've been kneading it too much in prior times.

For sandwich breads, I like it more dense, so the dough should be tacky without being too wet or soft. It should stick to a finger when you press down on it a little, but not be all stringy and clingy, if that makes sense.

Bread baking IMO has a lot to do with experience and just knowing how the dough should feel at differing stages. Just keep at it and you'll figure it out. I find that temperature, humidity and gluten content vary so much that it's difficult to bake a bread perfectly by just following a recipe word for word.

BladeWorker said:
2. Are you overworking your dough? Yes = Leads to dense product, whether brownies or bread.
3. Are you adding flour first, last, or gradually? First = easier to overwork. Last = may not distribute properly (though less likely to overwork). Gradually = better chance of success.

Just to clear something up here. You can't (easily) overwork a bread product (brownies/cake/biscuits are different completely).

When you knead the bread what you are doing is developing the gluten, start with dry ingredients and add the wet, it should feel soft at first once you have incorperated the liquid but when you work it the dough does toughen up. If you do not work the dough enough your gluten will not be strong enough to hold it's shape, so it is likely that you have either over proved it or under developed the gluten. You usually want a glossy chewed bubblegum type finish, or one that you can stretch out and see light/shadows through without it tearing.

This is in regards to the initial kneading, the knocking back after the initial prove is different again and serves another purpose again.

This post served as a distraction from writing my Uncharted 2 review which I will now return to.......

Jefklak

I'm still on the breadbaking machine euphoria train, so I made some brioches :D Not exactly sure what to call it, as it's not the traditional one with pudding, but instead with apple & cinnamon. Taste great!

Before

x7kwm.jpg

After

2dkdb2c.jpg

My topping attempt failed though, didn't have icing sugar. Used a beaten egg for the color and regular sugar + lemon juice.

Sorry for the crappy GSM pics, couldn't grab anything else at the moment.

Zyzyxxz said:
mrkgoo said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3422/3943883016_dd5996f0d4_o.jpg[/url]
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2674/3947200932_d4cbabe237_o.jpg[/url]

mkrgoo those pictures are wonderful and the food looks good! Never had the chance to try chanterelles but I really want to now.

They're selling chanterelles at my local Costco! God I love Costco. :D

fireside

Decided to make a little mini-cake tonight. Not bad considering I made it without a recipe. Probably should have let it cool a bit more before I cut it, but I wanted my cake!
1611gdf.jpg

Last week I made hamburgers. Buns & fries homemade (who would want it any other way?). Didn't slaughter the cow though. :/
2mg8llv.jpg

Yes, those are fries in the burger.

Schrade

fireside said:
Decided to make a little mini-cake tonight. Not bad considering I made it without a recipe. Probably should have let it cool a bit more before I cut it, but I wanted my cake!
[img ]http://i35.tinypic.com/1611gdf.jpg[/img]

Last week I made hamburgers. Buns & fries homemade (who would want it any other way?). Didn't slaughter the cow though. :/
[ img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2mg8llv.jpg[/img]

Wow that bun looks awesome! Good job. I bet that was one yummy burger!

Zyzyxxz

fireside said:
2mg8llv.jpg

If you brought that to me in a plate in a restaurant I'd gladly pay $10 for it compared to shitty Red Robin.

fireside

slidewinder said:
For real. I need to learn how to bake.
Read this:
120qlav.jpg

Best bread book ever, IMO. Name couldn't be more apt. Don't buy it though, spend the money on a digital scale (make sure it measures in grams) and borrow it from the library instead (that's what I do. I've probably checked the thing out like 20 times this year :lol ).

Thanks, just reserved a copy. Popular book:
bread_bible.PNG

I haven't done much cooking lately, but here are a few quick, easy things I made with what I had on hand at the time:
Fried rice with some left-over roasted pork:
fried_rice.jpg

Greasy instant ramen with an egg and roasted chile:
ramen.jpg

A fettuccine-alfredoish sorta thing:
fettuccine.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeast waffles. i contend that you've not tasted a real waffle until you've had one leavened with yeast: the flavor is more complex, the exterior gets more crispy and develops wonderful color, and it's just a more satisfying dish on the whole.

in other words: baking powder is for suckers.

miealx.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great looking waffles, beelzebozo! thanks for sharing.
The Burger also looks swell, fireside. And the pasta looks like a pro attempt, slidewinder.

Thanks to everybody for contributing!

Had some McD breakfast items this morning, it's still ridiculous how industrial-grade omelette as a topping looks and tastes:
smallP1040475.jpg

smallP1040473.jpg

other stuff:
smallP1040480.jpg

smallP1040484.jpg

smallP1040477.jpg

JRPereira

Ended up going to a gym after moving for work. Trainer there is fierce and uncompromising. As a result I ended up being forced to replace cheese curls and soda with water and this:

On the upside, my iphone's camera is much better than my previous camera.

-----

I feel like I've exited a reverse version of the sleep chambers from chrono trigger.

Food/beverage consumed! But you still feel miserable.

Made Chinese herbal soup for etiolate to try for the first time. :D Exciting stuff. Old pics but same recipe. Don't remember if I posted these pictures here before:

n60710639_32809458_2127.jpg

n60710639_32809459_2436.jpg

n60710639_32809461_3368.jpg

n60710639_32809463_3949.jpg

n60710639_32809465_4535.jpg

n60710639_32809466_4833.jpg

Also Happy Mid-Autumn Festival (late I know)!
dsc00365y.jpg

Yes Boss!

Haven't cooked in a few days. But I'm back in the saddle.

First is Cucumber Dal which is toor dal with cucumber, tomatoes, chilis, spicing, garlic, curry leaves, fresh coriander, onion and a bit of butter to rich it all up:

P1020557.jpg

Second is Jeera Rice which is rice cooked with fried cumin seed, fresh mint and coriander along with saffron for the last five minutes. Citrus juice squeezed at the table. Very refreshing rice dish.

P1020553.jpg

Zyzyxxz

so anyone have experience cooking on a hotplate? Is it horrible?

I wanna get one for my room while I'm temporarily living in Colorado. Just so I can make some eggs for breakfast.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
And what a nice saddle it is, Yes Boss! Thanks for sharing. The cucumber dal looks like it would also serve well as a chilled dish for the summer.

Keep it coming, people!

Zyzyxxz said:

I wanna get one for my room while I'm temporarily living in Colorado. Just so I can make some eggs for breakfast.

it's not that bad, there are cheap induction ones around, it's worth a try. If you should move back to a "complete" kitchen, the hot plate can double as a tabletop warmer or for the extra pasta pot when a large group of guests is expected.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
And what a nice saddle it is, Yes Boss! Thanks for sharing. The cucumber dal looks like it would also serve well as a chilled dish for the summer.

Keep it coming, people!

it's not that bad, there are cheap induction ones around, it's worth a try. If you should move back to a "complete" kitchen, the hot plate can double as a tabletop warmer or for the extra pasta pot when a large group of guests is expected.

hmm good idea, well I work in a restaurant now so I have access to a pro kitchen but just not at my temporary home.

Yes Boss!

Also made some Bengali Eggplant Fry.

It is 1/2-inch thick wheels of raw eggplant that are dredged in a dry-rub of chili powder, turmeric, salt and rice flour then pan-sauteed in ample mustard oil for about five minutes on each side. Lots of healthy things in this one.

P1020559.jpg

Yes Boss!

Zyzyxxz said:

I had a hotplate when I was in college. Used it to boil water for tea but also for smallish meals. It worked quite well and was about $15. Mine had a coil like a traditional electric range rather than the flat surface.

Like Onkel said, you might want to look into an inexpensive induction unit. I've seen them at places like 99 Ranch Market and various Korean markets in the Bay area for less than $100. It won't throw off as much heat and is safer and almost all pans are magnetic now and will work, regadless of price.

Jefklak

fireside said:
Read this:
120qlav.jpg

Best bread book ever, IMO. Name couldn't be more apt. Don't buy it though, spend the money on a digital scale (make sure it measures in grams) and borrow it from the library instead (that's what I do. I've probably checked the thing out like 20 times this year :lol ).

I've seen a lot of recommendations for this book

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1580082688/?tag=neogaf0e-20

51Iwr0SuxBL._SS500_.jpg

I'd love to get both, but they are not commonly available in shops here in Belgium...

Edit: http://www.bol.com/nl/p/boeken-engels/bread-baker-s-apprentice/1001004001486196/index.html
lol twice as expensive but hey.

To stay on topic, I made "steak au poivre" sunday with a little help of Chef Jean-Pierre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy0yCaj2vN0
I love this guy :D Anyway even the sauce turned up great even though I used knorr broth instead of home-made.
Forgot to take pics, but it wasn't that special anyway.

Jefklak

Yeah but it's a bit pricey, I'll add it to my christmas gift list :D

Yes Boss continues to inspire me, I've never heard of Jeera rice before so I made some. Didn't have mint and too lazy to go to the store, so decided to drop in some dry roasted chili's (removed afterwards), great taste!

mwusmb.jpg

Haha I know the dish doesn't fit together well but I really wanted some sprouts. Cooked & braised with butter, onion & breadcrumbs. I loved the rice, gotta remember that!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this is my public endorsement of THE BREAD BAKER'S APPRENTICE. if you're serious about learning to make great bread, it's one excellent avenue for doing so.

Exhumed

This past weekend, I had a Breakfast for Dinner party. It featured pancake puffs (you know the ones, from that awful infomercial), french toast casserole, a chocolate fountain, and all sorts of other things, including some cinnamon buns:
2whqzgo.jpg

Yay, my recipe worked! It was delicious. Unfortunately, it got me overconfident, and then I created a quiche that looks like this:

2rqbl1w.jpg

Tastes ok, but looks like...well, you know. Help me fix! Or do all quiches look like this?

Yes Boss!

Jefklak said:

Neat! I did not take photos of my process but next time I make a batch I'll document my steps. Interesting thing I did with this batch was to cook the rice without a lid at a vigorous boil then pulled it from the heat and and let it sit covered for a few minutes for a more cooked but al dente texture. But I did soak the rice for about an hour beforehand. My saffron did not really show up, color-wise.

Did get a nice deep and small spun-metal cake pan when I was up in Commerce. They opened a business/restaurant Costco recently with lots of neat stuff which saves a trip to the restaurant supply place that requires a business license. My cake pan is heavy gauge and was only $3. I've paid about $6 for pans of this quality before. I'm thinking I'll break it in with chocolate cheescake.

P1020574.jpg

Yes Boss!

Tonight I made a batch of Channa Masala. Always a favorite but this time I doubled the gravy by upping the tomato count then compensated for the increased loos-ness by stirring in an arrowroot slurry. And to increase the tartness, I added a cup of yogurt at the end, off the heat, in addition to the juice of one lemon.

P1020588.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
BladeWorker said:
Tastes ok, but looks like...well, you know. Help me fix! Or do all quiches look like this?

you know, i don't think your quiche looks bad at all. if you want it to be more aesthetically pleasing for a picture, cut a big wedge of it, put it on a plate with a fork sitting by it, and add a massive dollop of creme freche or sour cream on top and garnish with a fresh herb (parsley, dill, etc., depending on your preference). maybe even a little salsa fresca for more color.

point being, sometimes it's the presentation and accessorizing of the food that makes it look good in the final picture.

Jefklak

Yes Boss! said:
But I did soak the rice for about an hour beforehand.

I've never done that, I usually cook the rice in the microwave to save some space, using the default 1/2 rice/water measurements. This takes around 16 minutes, first 10 750W, afterwards +/- 600.
Does soaking enhance the taste or modify it in any way?

No saffron used (too expensive hehe), instead used a tiny bit of turmeric and chili powder.

Yes Boss!

Jefklak said:
I've never done that, I usually cook the rice in the microwave to save some space, using the default 1/2 rice/water measurements. This takes around 16 minutes, first 10 750W, afterwards +/- 600.
Does soaking enhance the taste or modify it in any way?

No saffron used (too expensive hehe), instead used a tiny bit of turmeric and chili powder.

Usually I soak my rice for about thirty minutes after washing then use the one to two ratio, and bring it to vigorous boil uncovered, then turn it down to super low and cover for 13 minutes. I did this batch fully un-covered since I wanted to streak yellow saffron flavor throughout at the last second but the color diluted..better to use saffron color like they do in Persian restaurants, I guess.

Exhumed

Here is what I'm making for dinner.

Cheesy Venison Meatloaf, should be interesting.

Before baking
DSCN0611.jpg

After
DSCN0612.jpg

On my plate
DSCN0613.jpg

Its been a LONG time since I've made meatloaf, it turned out a bit.. flat but thats just because I dont have the proper pan.

beelzebozo said:
you know, i don't think your quiche looks bad at all. if you want it to be more aesthetically pleasing for a picture, cut a big wedge of it, put it on a plate with a fork sitting by it, and add a massive dollop of creme freche or sour cream on top and garnish with a fresh herb (parsley, dill, etc., depending on your preference). maybe even a little salsa fresca for more color.

point being, sometimes it's the presentation and accessorizing of the food that makes it look good in the final picture.
I tend to agree, though in this case, cutting a slice out of it showed me the texture wasn't right.

Turns out, you can put too much butter in something.:lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That meatloaf looks so good.

Simple dinner for me. Chicken cooked on a pan with seasoned salt, peas and carrots, rice.

Zyzyxxz

BladeWorker said:
I tend to agree, though in this case, cutting a slice out of it showed me the texture wasn't right.

Turns out, you can put too much butter in something.:lol

chop up the ingredients more finely so you get a more consistent look across the top.

Yes Boss!

Damn, meatloaf looks tasty. The last time I made meatloaf I didn't use a pan and just formed it into a log and threw it in the oven on a pan. Turned out great. Never had venison before but it looks tasty.

Here is what I made tonight:

Sweet Saffron Rice which is rice cooked normal but without oil and a cinnamon stick tossed in. Then on the side you toast raisins, pistachios and almonds then add some milk and 1/2 cup sugar with some black cardamon and saffron to create a syrup that then gets stirred in with the rice. Garnish with some raw and un-toasted nuts.

P1020597.jpg

Yes Boss!

killertofu said:
I was thinking of picking this up. Has anyone here ever encountered it?

Love that book. I posted about it earlier in the thread. The baking one is good too. Just keep in mind that the recipes are institution recipes so if you plan to use them they need to be scaled properly. But the recipes are only a small portion of it. All the other info/photos are the best part.

Also, the cheesecake base I just made is from that book. I bake by weight though so could scale properly.

Ah, I knew I saw that book somewhere else before. I love cooking, but I really want to know how to "properly" cook. Would this help?

Yes Boss!

killertofu said:
Ah, I knew I saw that book somewhere else before. I love cooking, but I really want to know how to "properly" cook. Would this help?

I think it would help. It teaches "best practices" of an american/western style restaurant kitchen. It does cover quite a bit of technique.

killertofu said:

I own this book and I find it has a lot of useful information on technique (different cutting techniques, cooking techniques like braising, sauteeing) which sounds like what you're looking for.

Exhumed

I should probably get that book then as well. I know the basics and have dabbled in just about every type of thing you can cook but I could definitely work on my technique and kitchen supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom