• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irrational Games shutting down, 2K takes over BioShock, KL in new 15 person DD studio

I understand that Ken Levine wants to do something different and doesn't want to just do BioShock. But guess what? It's copyright Take Two Interactive for BioShock Infinite, not copyright Ken Levine. It's essentially not his creation anymore. He can go make F2P iOS apps or jump on Kickstarter for all I care.

To have people basically lose their livelihoods over Ken's decision -- I doubt very seriously I will buy anything with Ken's name attached at this point (I already bought the season pass so there goes that). I know it's not realistic to expect everyone to keep their jobs because BioShock Infinite lost a LOT of money, but I would like to see Take Two get someone who will stay true to Ken's creative ideas, make a BioShock game with realistic timetables and expectations for Take Two, and keep everyone there and happy. This could be Take Two's plan for all I know or could not be as well. Hopefully everyone affected will land on their feet soon.

While there is probably some or a lot of truth to the reports that Levine is difficult to work with, I seriously doubt he woke up today and decided I'm going to fire 200 plus people because I want to work on a passion project with 15 people and do smaller games. Take 2 is the one that holds the purse strings and funds whatever Irrational wants to do. He is probably partly or mostly to blame for the 5-plus year dev cycle on Infinite, which obviously cost Take 2 a lot of money. Infinite sold well, but it probably wasn't a huge return on the investment or possibly even a loss.

If Take 2 thought Irrational could be profitable going forward they would have probably kept the entire team even if Levine wanted out to make smaller games. If the Shock franchise even exists after this, they'll likely farm it out to some other studio and will ensure that its dev cycle is reasonable.

I wouldn't be surprised if Levine is under contract and that's the only reason he's still there. If that's the case, I could see him just running out the clock on the contract before leaving.

Biker19

Banned
What makes people think Levine is to blame for the studio shutting down? I don't think he even has the power to fire/hire anyone - he's just the co-founder and creative director for the studio. The actual studio is owned by Take Two, and any business decisions would be made by them, correct? And I seriously doubt Take Two shut down the studio because Levine wanted out - if I had to guess, they were planning on shutting down the studio long ago. Even if Levine leaving was what spurred Take Two into shutting down IG (very unlikely imo), that's not really Levine's fault. Should someone stay at a job they hate forever just so it'll save jobs? I mean, it might sound like an asshole thing to do, but if I'm unhappy with my job, I'd quit (and you would, too).

I can't believe people aren't. Ken Levine wanted to move on and Take Two obviously didn't give a shit about an Irrational Games without him. What was he supposed to do? Continuing doing something he no longer wished to do because there were other employees working for him? Give me a break. Those other employees will find other jobs and get on with their lives.

Exactly. People here aren't looking at the big scenario of it all. Times change.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
This makes little sense to me. Why would Ken Levine work with a 15 man team under TakeTwo, why no go independent and own the IP?

This is just sad. We can't have nice things.

From what I'm interpreting from his blog post is that his 'talk' with TT is very likely that he was quitting and going to make another startup and TT convinced him to stay under their umbrella along with the 15 other people he was going to poach.

It seems that TT realized that there was going to be a mass exodus from Irrational Games anyways and they managed to make the best out of the situation.

There is something very wrong with this industry when a studio with the prestige of Irrational is forced to shut its doors and lay off its staff. Shocking.

Indeed. And yes, there is something very wrong with this industry. Possibly with the gamers the industry serves, too.

They didn't shut the studio down because Ken Levine wanted to make smaller games. If Bioshock Infinite was a rousing success that made all of this money, they would have continued on and Ken Levine could have done something else. The studio was shut down and they're keeping him and 15 people around. The last game from the studio wasn't a success and it killed the studio. Take Two isn't interested in spending tens of millions of dollars and spending years to produce a game that sold what the last game sold. This is a sign of the games industry contracting/changing.

That seems a lot more likely than Levine cackling while driving each former employee from the building with unrelenting blows from his money bags.

Well that's what I want from developers like Ken. Emergent narrative doesn't really interest me as a player. That's why I enjoy reading stories from Eve but have no interest in playing it. I want a strong narrative.

I love all kinds of narrative in gaming, but I'm glad someone is sticking up for crafted narratives in gaming.

ampere

Wow this is huge.

I love Levine and his games. It sounds like he'll be making something totally different, but I can't wait to see what it is. Hope those Irrational employees can find new jobs quickly.

Also, this stuff about relocating staff to other studios instead of laying them off is complete PR horseshit. Irrational was located in Quincy, Massachusetts. There are zero other 2K studios in that state. 2K know not many people will uproot their families to move thousands of miles away just to stay employed.

I don't think it is horseshit at all. Of course they are trying to place good employees within their family and clearly they are trying to place others at other studios.

Uprooting your family is part of life when you work in an industry with few local jobs and don't want to own your own studio. It's a calculated risk we all take.

When I quit consulting, I moved to Atlanta for an industry job, partly for the job itself (risky small company that grew a ton and then got bought), but also because I could land on my feet with a ton of other opportunities in my industry here.

It's much safer for developers to move where there are many opportunities in games instead of just one basket that all of their eggs are in if stability and family are what matter most.

So moving won't be a bad thing for many of these folks.

Quasar

I love all kinds of narrative in gaming, but I'm glad someone is sticking up for crafted narratives in gaming.

I certainly don't want all games to be crafted narrative, but I do want them to exist. Especially from folks like Ken, who tend to be much stronger in that regard.

And I don't think I want crafted narrative left for the Telltales of the world.

molnizzle

From what I interpreting from his blog post is that his 'talk' with TT is very likely that he was quitting and going to make another startup and TT convinced him to stay under their umbrella along with the 15 other people he was going to poach.

It seems that TT realized that there was going to be a mass exodus from Irrational Games anyways and they managed to make the best out of the situation.

Bingo.

I certainly don't want all games to be crafted narrative, but I do want them to exist. Especially from folks like Ken, who tend to be much stronger in that regard.

And I don't think I want crafted narrative left for the Telltales of the world.

I'm with you there. (Well, I've never played a Telltale game, but I agree otherwise.)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Don't know if these were posted or not

2602727-7027068873-Bgx93.jpg

(Bioshock 1 and 2 designer)
2602725-9525664128-PIj9w.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sounds more like an axe to grind to me. Where were these people speaking up about Levine's conduct when Irrational was in its prime?

Probably had friends there that they didn't want to get fired for being their friend. And what do you mean by prime? Because I could see Bioshock being the thing to give him an ego. Not necessarily SWAT 4.

Mondy

Banned
Probably had friends there that they didn't want to get fired for being their friend. And what do you mean by prime? Because I could see Bioshock being the thing to give him an ego. Not necessarily SWAT 4.

A lot of people would tell you System Shock 2 (Looking Glass is essentially Irrational, at the end of the day).

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Sounds more like an axe to grind to me. Where were these people speaking up about Levine's conduct when Irrational was in its prime?

I can't pinpoint any specific quote, but I thought it was pretty well known that Levine has a reputation for not being the easiest person to work for.

Mondy

Banned
I can't pinpoint any specific quote, but I thought it was pretty well known that Levine has a reputation for not being the easiest person to work for.

They said he was difficult to work with in a creative sense, not that he was an inward looking egomaniac who lives the same Randian concepts that he criticizes in his game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Something like ~4.5M units sold in less than a year, almost universal critical acclaim and tons of GOTY nominations.

But oh no, some people on the internetz don't like it. Must've been a failure.

Probably why they kept the developers around of such a profitable, amazing game, right?

Sulik2

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the 2011 version of the game, that shit was impressive.

Wow just watched this. That 2011 version was really something. I wonder if the bigger environments were axed because they couldn't get em working or because the consoles didn't have enough memory to handle them.

Arsenic13

They obviously wanted to keep Levine but without the cost of a AAA team behind him that took 6 years to make his last game. His name will still be a selling point and it's better for 2K to have it be under their umbrella rather than another publisher's.

They didn't shut the studio down because Ken Levine wanted to make smaller games. If Bioshock Infinite was a rousing success that made all of this money, they would have continued on and Ken Levine could have done something else. The studio was shut down and they're keeping him and 15 people around. The last game from the studio wasn't a success and it killed the studio. Take Two isn't interested in spending tens of millions of dollars and spending years to produce a game that sold what the last game sold. This is a sign of the games industry contracting/changing.

Right! AAA publishers generally do this to themselves. They overspend and then things go wrong. I addressed that in the article. 2K doing this shows that they're acting smart. It cost people their jobs, which sucks and is a folly of the AAA mindset, but pursuing smaller projects without over-inflated budgets is a way to go.

rashbeep

Banned
Wow just watched this. That 2011 version was really something. I wonder if the bigger environments were axed because they couldn't get em working or because the consoles didn't have enough memory to handle them.

There was more to it than the bigger levels. Elizabeth's tears had more depth and she also interacted with the environment a lot more.

Is it? Its a reason for not making sequels. Not for closing Irrational down.

Well. Ok. What are you going to have this team do if not work on their most successful franchise? If Bioshock 4 seems like a bad fiscal investment, what would this large team work on instead that would be a better investment?

slapnuts

AAA gaming will die a slow death outside of 1st party and some tentpole studios.

It's just not sustainable.

It's kinda ironic though...back in the day in the mid/late 90's and early 2000s when great fresh, creative and very ambitious PC games rock the world...most of those awesome PC games were coming from smaller/smallish studios. Yes it is a shame to see these guys close the book on a great game series but on the other hand...sometimes when things must end, great things come out of it. This may be the best thing that could of ever happened ...outside of the peeps having to find new work.

molnizzle

Steve Jobs had a reputation for not being the easiest person to work for too.

Most brilliant people do.

Something like ~4.5M units sold in less than a year, almost universal critical acclaim and tons of GOTY nominations.

But oh no, some people on the internetz don't like it. Must've been a failure.

It was in development hell for 5 fucking years.

FLAguy954

We'll just have to agree to disagree. You care more about Levines artistic visions and what he can create. I care more about his responsibilities as the head of a studio and how he should have acted as a leader. That's the crux of it.

In your world continuing his vision is of the most importance. In mine him saying "enough is enough" to take two when they were contemplating binning his staff and going out on his own would have shown a bit more courage.

Quite insulting to state I'm not tuned in with the real world. I guess I just care about people & my perception is that Levine went for the easy out by staying at Take Two.

My point was that Respawn at least cared enough about the team to attempt to offer them employment in what must have been a pretty uncertain time.

it's cool, your next point will be that Levine kept 15. There you go. Saved you a post.

Lets just agree we'll never convince each other and move on.

I agree. Levine definitely had enough clout to take a more courageous route and break off from take-two but he didn't, and I think we should call him out on it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well. Ok. What are you going to have this team do if not work on their most successful franchise? If Bioshock 4 seems like a bad fiscal investment, what would this large team work on instead that would be a better investment?

We'll see how something like Titanfall does, but I imagine you can sell something off 'From the team behind Bioshock'
Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg

Worked pretty well here

timshundo

Good things come to an end. It's great to see them disband on a high note instead of joining the latest trend of companies to die off because they couldn't innovate.

Much feels to those laid off though. I wonder how much of it was amicable.

element

I don't think he even has the power to fire/hire anyone - he's just the co-founder and creative director for the studio. The actual studio is owned by Take Two, and any business decisions would be made by them, correct?
Ken was the President of the studio, as well as Creative Director. To a certain degree all staffing decisions flow through him.

Is it? Its a reason for not making sequels. Not for closing Irrational down.
It shows the team is incapable of producing financial hits despite significant investment, it's the kind of thing that has killed lots of teams last generation. What scares me is the whole multi team approach of making a game by take two and UniSoft, that stuff is insane.

Shengar

I woke up in the morning and saw this news and I like "what the hell that just happened??". While I'm no Irrational Games fan, I know this will be a huge blow for many of us. After rading Levine's letter, and how media reported, I believe this have nothing to do with anything but Levine's artistic vision as the game critically acclaimed and sold like hotcakes. The guy is a great director and designer, where most of his game have themes and purposes behind it. But as Irrational Games grow big, maybe Levine's feel that his creativity become even more limited, and such is proven by big luddonarrative dissonance that hold Bioshock Infinite from showing it's whole premises in more brighter light.

This must be a very emotional decision for Levine, to close down a studio that have brought us many good games. But in the end, mayb he think all of that is the past and he want fresh start for his creative vision. I look forward for his future game that put more emphasis on story, like it should be for Levine's game.
This.

If the game didn't sell enough then it's a financial reason for the closure, not a creative one.
The closure it's not necessarily caused by others. Bioshock is a big IPs for Take-Two, and the fact that Levine still work for them with his small team after Take-Two convinced them stay is a prove that this closure is nothing, but Levine's and his closest team decision.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Huh? Levine wants to make games with a smaller team so they nuke the whole company from orbit?

Somebody ain't telling us the whole story, yo.

I was at a company where when one very influential person left and it wasn't long before the mass exodus started happening. I was one of them.

It took about a year before that particular division was completely unrecognizable and 2 before the company just decided to close up shop for that division and roll the remaining employees into another area.

It doesn't just affect people internally, it affects how customers view them. Take a look at how people who pay attention to gaming news now view Infinity Ward post West and Zampella.

Is it harsh? Absolutely. But that's the reality and it's not just in gaming where this sort of thing happens.

ZSeba

I blame consoles, honestly.

We'll see how something like Titanfall does, but I imagine you can sell something off 'From the team behind Bioshock'
Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg

Worked pretty well here

Well, ok. But why assume that you're going to get more efficiency and/or sales potential than just keeping them on Bioshock? I think the issue here is that Infinite didn't sell poorly, but still didn't meet their sales expectations.

timshundo

I worked at a gaming company and could not stand the ceo and founders. The company was crap, the products were crap, and they laid off a bunch of friends which is when I ended up quitting. I'm trying to think what it would be like if I were one of those laid off by Levine. I feel like, unless he's a huge asshole, I would respect his decisions, especially with said support he's giving those that are being let go.

What I'm trying to figure out is is there such thing as healthy lay offs? I've only been involved with the unhealthy kind.

element

- The laid off Irrational Games employees are getting taken care of better than any laid off employees I've ever heard of in the games industry
I've heard better. IMO what staff are getting is pretty typically for a studio that closes and still has an operational parent (example 38 as a company closed doors vs Take 2 closing a developer).

What I'm trying to figure out is is there such thing as healthy lay offs? I've only been involved with the unhealthy kind.
Sure from a bottomline perspective. I've been at places where the burn rate was too high, we had a to lay people off. While in that instance it sucks, majority of them landed on their feet either at a higher profile studio or ended up doing something on their own. If there is something to remotely view as a positive is all the talented people will go out into the market and help make great games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, ok. But why assume that you're going to get more efficiency and/or sales potential than just keeping them on Bioshock? I think the issue here is that Infinite didn't sell poorly, but still didn't meet their sales expectations.

Bioshock might have more exptected contrivances they feel fans want them to adhere to. Might not have to fight as much over stuff over 'what is Bioshock' with a new IP.

Eusis

baffling if true
More disappointing than baffling honestly. It's not hard to imagine something being given a budget that even at 4 million copies couldn't pull in a profit at all, but the fact we're at this point with what essentially fills the mid tier or upper mid tier niche is not good news for the industry. Especially when it keeps happening.

It's fine if a GTA fails at that, when you can expect 8 digit sales figures then it's reasonable to budget for a success at 4 million copies or even twice it, but when you're the kind of game that doesn't get millions within HOURS of release, nevermind a month, then it probably should have been made on a smaller budget. Which is the current Catch 22 the industry faces as you budget appropriately to those numbers but probably wouldn't keep those numbers.

Top Bottom