• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is America the best at Football (american)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dschalter

lol college rivalries are the most intense you'll get in America, outside of Yankees-Red Sox, but they still don't approach soccer rivalries.

Alabama-Auburn was given as an example, but most of the fans of those teams will cheer on the other over most anyone else because SEC SEC SEC SEC!

that's often true in soccer though tbf, people will cheer for their local rivals against foreigners out of national pride (and coefficients of course).

as for athleticism, i think it is worth noting that the numbers the nfl likes to give are generally exaggerated to make the players look as athletic and as fast as possible. when it comes to doping i'd say it's more that different kinds of doping are prevalent in different countries.

shira

Really? I love to hear exactly why that's a terrible attitude.
Infusing kids with the idea that they can hit harder because they have pads is idiotic. This type of thinking is what leads to concussions and injuries.

We are trying to get rid of these kinds of coaches in our leagues.

does rugby have any 6'6'', 280lb guys that can run the 40 in 4.4 seconds?
Nobody that big runs a 4.4 40. Even Lebron James wasn't that big. 280lbs is either going too fat or wasted muscle.

Kusagari

that's often true in soccer though tbf, people will cheer for their local rivals against foreigners out of national pride (and coefficients of course).

I admit I don't know that much about soccer so I'll take your word for it. I was mostly going off my uncle who is a diehard Everton fan and would rather die than cheer for Liverpool.

I try not to tread in football vs. soccer threads, but those doubting the brilliance of football just need to watch a Ray Lewis mic'd up game or interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fFSvNXhkH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mLOmWYtf_E&feature=related

I like soccer as well, but no sport comes close to the passion, intensity and comradery of football.

Do you have the perspective to say this? Because hockey, basketball etc. fans would say the same thing about their sport.

It's not the same. You are comparing rivalries in schools vs rivalries such as the one I mentioned which involves nationalism and clashing political beliefs. Rivalries in soccer are on a whole other level.

You don't seem to understand that you don't know what you're talking about.

I admit I don't know that much about soccer so I'll take your word for it. I was mostly going off my uncle who is a diehard Everton fan and would rather die than cheer for Liverpool.

Well I do the same and I know a lot of fans from my club does the same. Even if it ends up being useful for us, that the rivals win, you can't really cheer for them, seeing them lose is just too good.

Parch

It's all about infrastructure. Any developed country that pours tons of money into something, has the population base and interest, plus decades of experience developing talent are going to get good at a sport.
So any country that had as many high school, college, and university football programs with the same coaching experience would eventually start producing quality football players.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Infusing kids with the idea that they can hit harder because they have pads is idiotic. This type of thinking is what leads to concussions and injuries.

We are trying to get rid of these kinds of coaches in our leagues.

Admitted this was several years ago for me, but I see nothing wrong in teaching a kid that he shouldn't be afraid to hit hard, as long as you teach him where and how you're allowed to. The concussions are coming from illegal helmet hits and that's not what they meant by hit harder.

FootballFan

Its interesting that people say that many american footballers would likely play in other sports professionally or Olympic sports if it were not for the fact that they play American Football. How much of that is actually true and how much of that is just people playing up the quality of American Footballers? I know in the case of Soccer players what makes them good at soccer is often not their athletic ability but more of a natural talent at that particular sport. No doubt they would be great at a variety of other sports but they wouldn't be able to compete at a competitive level. In the same way, Rafa Nadal is incredibly athletic and I bet as a kid he was great at all sports but his talent lay in tennis and that is what allows him to be so successful at a particular sport.

That is easily the most annoying thing about the arguments. Athletes? 6'6 200kg 100m sprinter has no place in football(soccer) if he doesn't have natural talent, technique, skill and a brain. Football is not about height, speed or strength, but about those things I just mentioned.

Messi(my avatar) is the best in the world, why? Not because he is strong, not because he is fast and not because he is tall. But because he is a damn good player. You have to be born with it. Messi when he was 5.. He is playing kids older than him in Argentina(where every kid plays and loves football) and he is still that much better.

Good point about Nadal, great athlete, imagine he spent his life concentrating on golf, he would have been so good, right? No.. Athlete ≠ Good player. I think Tiger Woods, Messi, Federer, etc all prove that..

Timbuktu

this was my high schools football stadium

stadium98.jpg

after i graduated they bought an indoor training facility that rivals most pro teams

download.gif

You were at Massillon? Watched a documentary about you guys not long ago and it seems crazy how much football overrules everything. Bing in the UK, i only got into watching football because of Friday Night Lights and will probably try to catch the game at Wembley. One thing i don't get is how franchises can move towns, i mean, how do you pick your teams when they can relocate?

IceCold

You don't seem to understand that you don't know what you're talking about.

You aren't going to find rivalries as strong such as Real Madrid vs Barca, Rangers vs Celtic, Boca Junior vs River Plate etc. in the States. I don't understand what you don't get.

Hieberrr

I don't want to sound like a dick or anything, but can someone please explain to me the appeal of football?

I tried watching it many, many, many times, but fell victim to boredom due to the constant stops and starts.

You aren't going to find rivalries as strong such as Real Madrid vs Barca, Rangers vs Celtic, Boca Junior vs River Plate etc. in the States. I don't understand what you don't get.

I don't get how you can be so definitive about something you clearly know nothing about.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
It's not the same. You are comparing rivalries in schools vs rivalries such as the one I mentioned which involves nationalism and clashing political beliefs. Rivalries in soccer are on a whole other level.

Even though they maybe schools, many of them are often the embodiment of a state and its people, often to the same effect. When KU plays Mizzou or NU plays OU, it is often literally the state of Kansas vs. state of Missouri, or the state of Nebraska vs. state of Oklahoma (the latter I know firsthand. Nebraska football IS the lifeblood of the state, without a doubt). These can be very heated.

Pollux

Go to a auburn vs bama football game or a Kentucky va Louisville basketball game. There's real true hatred there that's just as bad as any soccer rivalry you're listing.

Yopis

Go to a auburn vs bama football game or a Kentucky va Louisville basketball game. There's real true hatred there that's just as bad as any soccer rivalry you're listing.

Duke vs Unc best rivalry in college sports. Dont agree though about aub vs bama being as bitter as barca vs madrid ect.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

I don't get how you can be so definitive about something you clearly know nothing about.

he got one and a half right atleast

Lads, i dont mean to be rude, but seriously? I mean if your going to list rivalries.. West Ham and fucking Mill Wall

BiJpF.png

Next.

The only sports the USA doesn't win at are sports we don't care about. Like soccer, which to most Americans is a kids sport that stops being relevant at the age of 10 or so.

It's also interesting that the rest of the world plays sports with each other while Americans are only concerned with competing with ourselves (professional and college), because we're so out of everyone else's league. Our players don't even want to participate in the olympics because they might get injured for the regular season.

braves01

Banned
I don't want to sound like a dick or anything, but can someone please explain to me the appeal of football?

I tried watching it many, many, many times, but fell victim to boredom due to the constant stops and starts.

Honestly, for people who don't get American football and want to learn about it, track down a copy of Madden. Doing the play calling yourself, managing packages, and actually 'playing' a game of football will give you an idea why Americans are nuts about it. Try Franchise mode too to see how it manages to keep our attention year round. I don't know if any of the new Madden games are good though, but 2001-2004 were golden.

I dont think anybody is arguing that American football is popular outside of the US, but Superbowl viewership is right up there with the Champions League final, so I doubt a Man U vs Man City match is gonna even come close.

http://worldsport.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/04/the-super-bowl-is-u-world-cup-final/
121 million

http://www.evs-global.com/sites/default/files/1335364602_20120425-SVG_Europe-el_clasico.pdf [PDF link]
400 million

You are looking at the wrong match (CF Final) if you are looking for peak viewership. Individual Football and American Football viewership is based on the teams involved in the game of course, but if you are comparing a 'spectacle' football match, look no further then the El Clasicos. The United City match should quite easily cross 121 million.

Honestly, for people who don't get American football and want to learn about it, track down a copy of Madden. Doing the play calling yourself, managing packages, and actually 'playing' a game of football will give you an idea why Americans are nuts about it. Try Franchise mode too to see how it manages to keep our attention year round. I don't know if any of the new Madden games are good though, but 2001-2004 were golden.

Agreed - football isn't even in my top 3 favorite sports, but there is so much more going on that you realize, even if you've watched for years. The strategy, tactics, athleticism, and intensive bursts of the game make it pretty easy to understand why so many people love it. And 90% of it you have no idea is going on, why, or how, when you've just started watching.

Kusagari

Again how is Auburn vs. Bama that intense when they'll cheer for each other all the time to make the SEC look good?

Jtrizzy

FWIW, I don't think that our collegiate rivalries like UNC/Duke, OSU/UM, UA/AU are as disturbingly insane as the soccer rivalries. I've feared for my safety at international soccer matches (and I was just an American with no affiliation) on more than one occasion, you don't see that at even the worst college games.

FWIW, I don't think that our collegiate rivalries like UNC/Duke, OSU/UM, UA/AU are as disturbingly insane as the soccer rivalries. I've feared for my safety at international soccer matches on more than one occasion, you don't see that at even the worst college games.

The fact that people don't murder each other and scream racial epithets and trample each other to death like animals doesn't mean the rivalries aren't intense, it's just a higher modicum of civilization.

Derrick01

Banned
lol college rivalries are the most intense you'll get in America, outside of Yankees-Red Sox, but they still don't approach soccer rivalries.

Alabama-Auburn was given as an example, but most of the fans of those teams will cheer on the other over most anyone else because SEC SEC SEC SEC!

Yankees-Red Sox is probably the most overblown rivalry ever. Maybe Boston fans like to think its one but when 1 team has close to 30 titles and the other hasn't even hit 10 then it's not much of a rivalry. Celtics-Lakers is better though most of the hatred kind of leveled off for a while since the Celtics decided to suck for 20 years

Tristam

The fact that people don't murder each other and scream racial epithets and trample each other to death like animals doesn't mean the rivalries aren't intense, it's just a higher modicum of civilization.

I guess we Americans just wait to post the racial epithets on Twitter?

Jtrizzy

True. I have lived in the heart of the UNC/Duke rivalry for 33 years and have attended the games at both schools over the years. I was also fortunate enough to attend some amazing international soccer matches with my father, who was on the US delegation/committee that brought the WC to the US.

UNC Duke is also a lot more civilized than UM/OSU and especially Auburn Alabama. I do want to attend an SEC football game someday.

Did you ever go to a real game? I did and now i know why there is sooo much entertainment around, in between, before, after, during football. I have never been to events that were as boring as an american football match. Nothing really happens. Then something happen s for a couple of seconds... not very exciting, and then it's all the other entertainment again.

i have NO idea (except maybe from tactical gameplay...) why americans hold this sport on such a high pedestal.

I can understand Basketball, The tactics in Baseball, and even silly things like monster truck events and rodeo. But Football is just mostly... nothing at all (imo).

THRILLH0

Banned
We'd get whipped for a good 10-15 years while we caught up but I can guarantee you that no Australian would be too bitchmade to go over the middle or bitchmade enough to step out of bounds/slide.

Oh, and our players would have the skills to play both ways.

Rubbish King

Did you ever go to a real game? I did and now i know why there is sooo much entertainment around, in between, before, after, during football. I have never been to events that were as boring as an american football match. Nothing really happens. Then something happen s for a couple of seconds... not very exciting, and then it's all the other entertainment again.

i have NO idea (except maybe from tactical gameplay...) why americans hold this sport on such a high pedestal.

I can understand Basketball, The tactics in Baseball, and even silly things like monster truck events and rodeo. But Football is just mostly... nothing at all (imo).

I like you.

Jtrizzy

Yankees-Red Sox is probably the most overblown rivalry ever. Maybe Boston fans like to think its one but when 1 team has close to 30 titles and the other hasn't even hit 10 then it's not much of a rivalry. Celtics-Lakers is better though most of the hatred kind of leveled off for a while since the Celtics decided to suck for 20 years

I disagree. Much of the way I measure a rivalry is based on historical hatred between the fans. As a Carolina fan, I always laugh when my fellow fans say that NC State isn't a rivalry. One of my clearest memories of the Yankees Red Sox game I attended at the old Yankee stadium is of Yankee fans throwing hot dogs and constantly berating the Sox fans in our section.

Has the classic Simpsons been linked yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK-gUXl7usc

Hieberrr

Not an NFL game, but I used to work at the Rogers Centre so I saw glimpses of CFL (Argos) games. I also tried watching quite a few regular season NFL/NCAA games on TV + the obvious Super bowl. I never understood it myself, because I find all the off-field stuff as distractions from the game or w/e.

Basketball, I love because it is a game of runs, tactics, and is just a show (in regards to both individual and team performances).

Baseball, I admit is more of a "chill sport" for me. I love watching it live, because it's really fun to just hang with a few buddies an shoot the shit.

Hockey is okay, imo. It's definitely better than American football and baseball to me. Mind you, I'm Canadian... so uhh.. yeah.

Rubbish King

I disagree. Much of the way I measure a rivalry is based on historical hatred between the fans. As a Carolina fan, I always laugh when my fellow fans say that NC State isn't a rivalry. One of my clearest memories of the Yankees Red Sox game I attended at the old Yankee stadium is of Yankee fans throwing hot dogs and constantly berating the Sox fans in our section.

Is this is a joke? dude, watch green street/football factory..
Not to say the films are 100% accurate on what they do, ive heard nutters on the phone on the bus openly telling another man he'd better spend time with his kids because come the next game hes going to be dead

I mean..FUCK... getting hit with a hot dog and being called names.....really?

Hieberrr

Not to say the films are 100% accurate on what they do, ive heard nutters on the phone on the bus openly telling another man he'd better spend time with his kids because come the next game hes going to be dead

Dude, violence doesn't measure rivalries either. I find it idiotic to use that as a standard for measuring how much two teams rival each other.

I never understood soccer hooligans and never will. Personally, I've never understood why some literally live and die by your team :S

braves01

Banned
We'd get whipped for a good 10-15 years while we caught up but I can guarantee you that no Australian would be too bitchmade to go over the middle or bitchmade enough to step out of bounds/slide.

Oh, and our players would have the skills to play both ways.

I don't doubt that any country could develop an excellent American football program/culture, but not playing both ways isn't about lack of skill. It's just not physically possible at the professional level though many do play both ways in high school or maybe even at lower intensity college programs.

Btw, TV really does slow the games down. Games that aren't televised (so non-Div.I college and high school games) go much faster.

Seguin

Banned

Just sounds like some really stupid people that take a game far too seriously.

Parch

I have never been to events that were as boring as an american football match.
You do realize that soccer does not have as much appeal to Americans because they consider it incredibly boring. It's a bunch of running around that usually accomplishes nothing, and an actual goal is a rare occurance. Yawn.

It's real easy to belittle a sport that doesn't appeal to you.

DarkFlow

Banned
Ya, Basketball ever became an olympic sport. The Americans would dominate that forever and a day.
It is... And has been for like 50 years. The rest of the world got better so we have to try now.

Women's softball on the other hand, America was far and away the best and no one was getting better so they got rid of it.

Jtrizzy

I wasn't comparing it to the European soccer rivalries, but more just disagreeing that the Red Sox Yankees is an overblown rivalry because of the disparity in championships. I give the edge in all sports rivalries to to International soccer in fact because of all the sick, psychotic shit that goes along with it and the historical/political issues that are involved. It's as if you haven't read any of my posts on this very page, and even in the post you quoted, I gave precise context as to what I what I was saying.

soepje

Wow at Norway and Finland, i always thought the Netherlands was doing pretty well for being such a small country, but wow..

Medals per capita

USA: 2549/308 000 000 * 100 000 (to make sensable numbers) = 0,83
Norway: 447/5 000 000 * 100 000 (same reason) = 8,94
Finland: 455/5 180 000 * 100 000 = 8,80

Korey

Yep, so true.

It is... And has been for like 50 years. The rest of the world got better so we have to try now.

Women's softball on the other hand, America was far and away the best and no one was getting better so they got rid of it.

Lol, that's just sad

Hieberrr

You do realize that soccer does not have as much appeal to Americans because they consider it incredibly boring. It's a bunch of running around that usually accomplishes nothing, and an actual goal is a rare occurance. Yawn.

It's real easy to belittle a sport that doesn't appeal to you.

I used to believe that.

Then I started watching and its a lot more tactical than just running around. But I guess that's the misconception people have for both sports. I probably don't understand football as much as a football fan understands soccer :lol

Rubbish King

Dude, violence doesn't measure rivalries either. I find it idiotic to use that as a standard for measuring how much two teams rival each other.

I never understood soccer hooligans and never will. Personally, I've never understood why some literally live and die by your team :S

Oh no,i dont measure it at all as i couldnt give a flying fuck what teams hate eachother the most was just providing a contrast and a reality check, nor do i condone such fecking ridiculous behavior, i think they should be lined up and shot.

Just sounds like some really stupid people

correct, very stupid..scary people

I wasn't comparing it to the European soccer rivalries, but more just disagreeing that the Red Sox Yankees is an overblown rivalry because of the disparity in championships. I give the edge in all sports rivalries to to International soccer in fact because of all the sick, psychotic shit that goes along with it and the historical/political issues that are involved. It's as if you haven't read any of my posts on this very page, and even in the post you quoted, I gave precise context as to what I what I was saying.

oh right, my bad im watching a film as i read this, i was a little shocked for a second, thought you were saying it was the fiercest rivalry in the world ...no idea how i saw that lol

Korey

I used to believe that.

Then I started watching and its a lot more tactical than just running around. But I guess that's the misconception people have for both sports. I probably don't understand football as much as a football fan understands soccer :lol

I've heard that Americans are the only ones in soccer that don't dive. Is that true?

soepje

I used to believe that.

I agree with you, i grew up with soccer and tried watching american football a few years ago, it just annoyed the hell out of me how they would just keep stopping, rearranging themselves, start, stop right away again, it was just not nice or interesting to watch imo. Soccer has a flow to it, it´s like watching a good movie, football like a sequence of random youtube videos to me.

Hieberrr

Isn't it also about pretending to be fouled by throwing yourself on the floor and fake grimacing in pain?

I've heard that Americans are the only ones in soccer that don't dive. Is that true?

Yup, same sport. Unfortunately, the higher the stakes the more diving you'll see. But not everyone does it to that extent. There are, however, the few that go above and beyond with the diving and stuff.

Uhm, I can't comment on Americans. In the MLS, it's starting to happen a bit more as the league grows. But for the most part, refs tend to let the physical tackles and whatnot go.

I think the reason why I never liked soccer before was because I was always under the impression that goals were the ONLY exciting thing in the sport. But, I gave it a chance and learned that the near-misses/amazing scoring chances are just as exciting. It's especially exciting when your team is able string together a series of passes around and between defenders that lead to one of those chances or goals. EXCITE!

But yeah, if you watch the MLS... you won't be seeing that. I should know, I support Toronto FC :'( So shit.

I agree with you, i grew up with soccer and tried watching american football a few years ago, it just annoyed the hell out of me how they would just keep stopping, rearranging themselves, start, stop right away again, it was just not nice or interesting to watch imo. Soccer has a flow to it, it´s like watching a good movie, football like a sequence of random youtube videos to me.
Yes, sir, that's right :) Euro 2008 was simply captivating and :O~ worthy. I started watching club soccer this year and I have never been this excited for a sport since I first began watching the NBA.

Good stuff :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom