• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else worried that Death Stranding's story is going to be too "crazy"?

pa22word

I don't know why anyone would buy a Kojima game otherwise. Off the deep end, post-modernist military stuff is generally the only thing he tends to nail on a consistent basis.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't know why anyone would buy a Kojima game otherwise. Off the deep end, post-modernist military stuff is generally the only thing he tends to nail on a consistent basis.
His cyberpunk stuff is also kinda interesting once you get around the high octane sexism.

fersnake

lol, its a Kojima game. if your not use to it you better stay way from this game.

ps. im specting to be so crazy, for the love of god just watch the trailers!!! xD

pa22word

Kojima is a great game designer, but his story and cinema aspirations were always put in check by talented people in his team. My fear is that since leaving Konami and the almost worship like level of adoration he got recently, is that no one will be able to say "No" to him during the development of DS and we end up getting some insane game story with juvenile beats.

What? His "beats" (by which I assume you're referring to theme?) deal with some of the more uncomfortable realities of the modern world like perpetual war, outsourcing of war, nuclear proliferation, government surveillance, imperialism, etc. I can't really think of anyone in the AAA space other than the now defunct Yager who even attempted the complex themes of modern war that Kojima does in his games. His problem hasn't been depth or thematic resonance as much as his delivery is always hamfisted and generally overwrought to the point of absurdity, mixed with some really uncomfortable portrayal of women.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm worried it might not be crazy enough.

Hoping for Aranofsky's The Fountain levels of fuck.

klee123

No not at all.

In a sea of Western games where the majority of the story narratives are conventionally told, I actually appreciate something more obtuse and "out there".

Am I the only one who thinks Kojima has grown too big for his boots and is just obsessed with his ego and trying to get close to hollywood?

MGSV was great under the hood but everything Kojima took credit for sucked. The story was crap and he knifed David Hayter to get Kiefer Sutherland on board. Now he's got a hard on for Norman Reedus and everyone feeds his self esteem by fawning over a cgi video for his new game we know nothing about

Kojima needs to Kojima. The story and game is going to as far away from the AAA focus grouped to death dude bro epics we get literally everywhere else and I'm going to be here for every single second of it.

120v

Am I the only one who thinks Kojima has grown too big for his boots and is just obsessed with his ego and trying to get close to hollywood?

MGSV was great under the hood but everything Kojima took credit for sucked. The story was crap and he knifed David Hayter to get Kiefer Sutherland on board. Now he's got a hard on for Norman Reedus and everyone feeds his self esteem by fawning over a cgi video for his new game we know nothing about

i don't think he's trying to rub elbows with holywood he just draws inspiration from western pop culture so why not get involved with "holywood" creative forces if they're willing... its not like he's doing mo cap with adriana grande and handing the OST off to marooned 5 or whatever

Van Bur3n

It will probably be as nonsensical as MGS and shouldn't be taken too seriously. I don't think anyone plays a Kojima game expecting a thought provoking narrative.

gfxtwin

Th only reason the craziness of later MGS games was jarring for me was due to how grounded MGS1 was. Floating psychic dudes and shamen that can control ravens aside, it was a pretty straightforward espionage thriller story.

After seeing how much of a master Kojima is with fantastical allegory in later MGS games though (especially the hospital and chase scenes opening MGS5), I hope he gives it all he's got wit this new IP. Considering how pally he's getting with Cinematic geniuses like Del Toro and Winding Refn, it's probably safe to expect some amazing visual art with his next game.

Dude didnt even finish his game and it was still more complete then most AAA games.

Regardlessof the story the gameplay should at the very least deliver.

Top Bottom