• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is bread really THAT bad for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossun

It does, though. It really fucking does. If you want to remain ignorant of what it does, ok. But dont go spreading the ignorance around. Please.

Yes, if you abuse it, like everything else. And if you don't exercise at all. And by exercise I just mean walk.

The main effect it does on your body is make you fat, which doesn't happen with exercise and a bit a common sense when eating, and by that I mean not eating shit all the time and in extreme quantities.

Do you believe you'll live longer than anyone else? Even with all your carbs, protein and whatever counting?
In the end, if you paid a little attention throughout your life to what you eat, your very strict and ridiculous diet won't change anything.

The main point is moderation. You can eat bread if you want, when you have a meal, just like that, or to finish the sauce. You don't even need half a baguette a day.
You also don't have to put butter, or oil on it.
That's what moderation is, common sense and a very little bit of restreint.

And no, you won't lose years of your life. So why deprive yourself of something good or something you like when it won't change anything in the end if you showed a little restreint?

Because as stated in this thread, everything is bad for you if you eat too much of it.

NIN90

Bread does not make you fat. My favourite food in the entire world is white toast with peanut butter and chocolate chips. This has been my every-day after school snack since grade 2. I'm 6'2" and 145 pounds.

How does that invalidate the argument?

Seanspeed

Banned
Great another stupid carb thread. Bread is great, it doesn't make you fat. A combination of over eating, eating like shit and being sedentary makes you fat.
Its like saying 'Cake is great, it doesn't make you fat'. Bread alone isn't going to poof you up after eating a slice, but its a pretty big contributor to obesity nowadays and it'll make you fat quicker than eating a lot of other foods will. And its good to know why it can make you fat, so you can make a better choice whether you want to continue to eat it as much or not. Like with me, when I eat unhealthy, I at least am aware of it. I'm making a conscious choice to say 'fuck it, I'm eating this anyway', for better or worse. I dont think many, or anybody here is trying to say to never eat it, cuz thats unrealistic for most people for a lot of practical reasons, but its at least nice to learn about it, dont you think? Thats my only problem with a lot of people's comments here. You dont need to become an expert, but some nutrional knowledge is useful in life.

I give up, though. A lot of people are just going to be set in their ways.

IceCold

Yes, if you abuse it, like everything else. And if you don't exercise at all. And by exercise I just mean walk.

The main effect it does on your body is make you fat, which doesn't happen with exercise and a bit a common sense when eating, and by that I mean not eating shit all the time and in extreme quantities.

Do you believe you'll live longer than anyone else? Even with all your carbs, protein and whatever counting?
In the end, if you paid a little attention throughout your life to what you eat, your very strict and ridiculous diet won't change anything.

The main point is moderation. You can eat bread if you want, when you have a meal, just like that, or to finish the sauce. You don't even need half a baguette a day.

And no, you won't lose years of your life. So why deprive yourself of something good or something you like when it won't change anything in the end if you showed a little restreint?

Because as stated in this thread, everything is bad for you if you eat too much of it.

Obviously the trick is to restrict your consumption of it, and carbs in general. Below 150g a day preferably. But many people will eat bread + cereal + a bunch of fruits + snacks + potatoes/pasta/rice throughout the day. It's very easy to eat 300g+ of carbs in a single day. But can you blame people? Everybody around them tells them that eating eggs + bacon in the morning is a death sentence while eating Cheerios with a glass of orange juice is part of a healthy breakfast.

Seanspeed

Banned

It can absolutely shorten your life. Diabetes and celiac disease occurs more often in obese/lazy people, but its not solely confined to them.

Like I said, if you want to remain ignorant, feel free. Its totally possible to live life just fine with the 'in moderation' guideline, but there can be benefits to knowing some more about what you put in your body, too. To pretend that this knowledge doesn't help is incredibly naive.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Bread does not make you fat. My favourite food in the entire world is white toast with peanut butter and chocolate chips. This has been my every-day after school snack since grade 2. I'm 6'2" and 145 pounds.

This is a prime example of how bread can be used to encourage overeating.

Bread itself isn't going to cause someone to overeat. Served plain as a baguette or with an occasional sandwich with things like spinach, chicken, and mustard.

Problem is when jazz it up to become like a drug, and start sandwiching everything. At work we have "wraps" which are perfectly okay meals with rice, meat, and vegetables, but then someone decided to wrap it in a massive tortilla, splatter ranch all over it, and serve it with fries.

However if you're trying to lose weight, bread doesn't help. A much better choice would be protein, which stimulates both insulin AND glucagon. The elevated glucagon causes satiety.

IceCold

This is a prime example of how bread can be used to encourage overeating.

Bread itself isn't going to cause someone to overeat. Served plain as a baguette or with an occasional sandwich with things like spinach, chicken, and mustard.

Problem is when jazz it up to become like a drug, and start sandwiching everything. At work we have "wraps" which are perfectly okay meals with rice, meat, and vegetables, but then someone decided to wrap it in a massive tortilla, splatter ranch all over it, and serve it with fries.

However if you're trying to lose weight, bread doesn't help. A much better choice would be protein, which stimulates both insulin AND glucagon. The elevated glucagon causes satiety.

How does a lasagna sandwich sound to you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOyNjt_0zeM

Mmmh...

MooseKing

Banned
Bread is awful, TLDR it converts to sugar in your body.

Of course, you can get away with eating it if you work out and are active as your insulin resistance will be higher. However overall it is absolutely terrible for human consumption.

If you are going to eat carbs, you are far better off getting them from a much more nutrition source.

Bread has little to no nutrition. Even 100 percent whole grain whole wheat bread is not GOOD for you. Fiber is nice, but you can get fiber from many other more nutritious places.

I mean, when I or others bulk we increase the amount of carbs we intake because it allows us to bulk faster. Adding muscle and fat to our bodies. Even with intense working out, you add fat, and the fat is added not just from consuming an over abundance of calories, but from increasing carb intake.

When I cut, as many others, I eat 100 percent Ketogenic. So, as close to 0 carbs as possible. The fat melts away in a matter of two weeks, and I am consuming almost the same amount of food, but almost 100 percent of it is fat/protein.

Normally, I eat Ketogenic but I consume a moderate amount of carbs only in the form of nutritious vegetables. However, 60 percent of my calories are always from fat, and I consume enough protein to maintain muscle mass. I stay as low carb as I possibly can. I won't always be in Ketossis, but I will never be pigging out on carbs.

When I changed the way I ate, and got rid of carbs, and started eating a shit load of fat. My blood lipid levels became damn near perfect for my age.

Izayoi

Banned
Bread is poison, don't eat that shit. If you're going to eat it, Dave's Killer Bread is probably the way to go - however, make sure you live an active lifestyle.

Stop drinking soda too, while you're at it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Last thing - I forgot to mention the 'common sense' comment. What is common sense, exactly? How do you know what is or isn't good for you? Why is cake bad for you? Because it has a ton of sugar and shit, right? But why is that sugar bad for you? Cuz somebody told you at some point in your life that sugar was bad, I'm guessing. Is butter bad for you? A lot of people will say yes. But why? I bet you most people couldn't give you a good answer to that question.

I think the problem is that 'common sense' of what constitutes good food and bad food is totally fucked up these days. Like IceCold was saying, people are taught that Cheerios and orange juice is a good, healthy breakfast. Most people probably believe that. But is it true? Why or why not? These are things that are good to know.

Bread is poison, don't eat that shit.

Eh, better than cigarettes. Nothing goes quite as well with butter as piping hot bread fresh from the oven.

Last thing - I forgot to mention the 'common sense' comment. What is common sense, exactly? How do you know what is or isn't good for you? Why is cake bad for you? Because it has a ton of sugar and shit, right? But why is that sugar bad for you? Cuz somebody told you at some point in your life that sugar was bad, I'm guessing. Is butter bad for you? A lot of people will say yes. But why? I bet you most people couldn't give you a good answer to that question.

I think the problem is that 'common sense' of what constitutes good food and bad food is totally fucked up these days. Like IceCold was saying, people are taught that Cheerios and orange juice is a good, healthy breakfast. Most people probably believe that. But is it true? Why or why not? These are things that are good to know.

"Common sense" is a lazy and terrible argument, especially when regarding nutrition, and you shouldn't even bother treating it like it is worthy of a response.

ArjanN

I eat a fair amount of bread, lift 6 days a week, play basketball on 2 of those days, am 85kg, never been healthier in my life. I wonder what the difference is here...

Most Dutch eat bread every day, and we pretty much all look like atomic supermen.

Bossun

It can absolutely shorten your life. Diabetes and celiac disease occurs more often in obese/lazy people, but its not solely confined to them.

Like I said, if you want to remain ignorant, feel free. Its totally possible to live life just fine with the 'in moderation' guideline, but there can be benefits to knowing some more about what you put in your body, too. To pretend that this knowledge doesn't help is incredibly naive.

Trust me I am not ignorant about bread at all. I even mostly bake it myself so I know exactly what goes into it.
But then again what you're saying is wrong. Bread is not a HUGE part of the obesity problem, or only in America.

You can check countries bread consumption and correlate them with the list of countries with the higher rate of obesity.
The first one to appear is Germany, which is in 14th position with less than half the obesity rate of the USA.

And no, the knowledge of what bread is made of didn't change my life, my diet or my life expectancy. Then again, I pay attention to what I eat..

You just seem to be living with an unjustified fear that you got through hard dietist. You just sound like someone who would write in the fitness thread, where just a rice of grain more than what is the perfect diet means life and death.

And I'm not saying to eat bread blindly. I am for people knowing, or at least reading on the product, what they are eating and make smart choices.

Izayoi

Banned
Eh, better than cigarettes. Nothing goes quite as well with butter as piping hot bread fresh from the oven.
Sure, and if you're running or doing other cardio every day, there's nothing wrong with indulging every now and then. Doesn't change the fact that it's fucking horrible for you.

IceCold

Most people don't understand the science behind it. Every body know that sugar in excess is bad for you and some will cut it when trying to cut weight (oh I'll stop eating cakes and ice cream..). But people don't see like bread or pasta the same way. So since people already thing fat is bad, they load of up on carbs not realizing that it's sugar too. And then they wonder why they can't lose weight as effectively as others.

You know that guy from Super Size Me? It took him 2 years to lose the 25 pounds he gained with a Vegan diet. It took the Fat Head guy 1 month to lose half of that by eating nothing but fast food and cutting his carbs. How many people would have predicted that result?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
You'd be surprised by how many people don't realize the negatives of consuming too much fruit and fruit juice. Common sense gives you a ballpark idea of something that twists into something that correlates with your needs and cravings.

SummitAve

Banned
Sure, and if you're running or doing other cardio every day, there's nothing wrong with indulging every now and then. Doesn't change the fact that it's fucking horrible for you.

A bataan death march is fucking horrible for you, a plate of pasta and some texas toast is not.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I eat bread all the time and I love it. I will probably never be able to get a six pack due to my eating habits but I can lift my weight many times and am well within the healthy weight range for my age, height, and gender.

You can stray from your processed foods and simple carbs, I simply watch calories and protein.

Is the multigrain bread offered by Subway any good for you? I'm thinking not..

Good fiber. So fucking bad when it comes to sodium.

I still eat a footlong every week tho.

A bataan death march is fucking horrible for you, a plate of pasta and some texas toast is not.

Dammit, I was planning on doing a bataan death march next weekend. Taco Bell it is then -_-

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I don't know about you guys but I eat nothing but grass and the occasional antelope I kill with my bare hands.

Grass is bad for you dude you should watch your diet better than that. The polymorphicephilides found in grass release during gestastion and put your body into recall mode. This triggers your amino acids to release fat chemicals throughout your entire organism. As far as macronutrient ratios go it's a total nightmare. If you ever hope to go into oxidation mode you're going to want to eat lean chicken (0.5% fat) and 4000mg of cottage cheese. For breakfast do raw eggs X18 and 1/10th a glass of orange juice if it's cardio day. On your squat and deadlift days I would recommend that you eat one full horse immediately after workout so you reach a heightened level of muscle growth mode faster.

Liberty4all

Banned
Obviously the trick is to restrict your consumption of it, and carbs in general. Below 150g a day preferably. But many people will eat bread + cereal + a bunch of fruits + snacks + potatoes/pasta/rice throughout the day. It's very easy to eat 300g+ of carbs in a single day. But can you blame people? Everybody around them tells them that eating eggs + bacon in the morning is a death sentence while eating Cheerios with a glass of orange juice is part of a healthy breakfast.

eggs and bacon is ok?

Izayoi

Banned
a plate of pasta and some texas toast is not.
That's where you'd be wrong. Have you completely ignored the thread?

Bread is sugar, it's bad. There's literally nothing else to it!

Next time you look at a bagel, think of it as a bag of skittles.

Because that's what it is. There is as much (if not more) sugar in a whole wheat bagel as there is in a bag of skittles.

So you guys are saying if I go to Subway I might as well just get Italian Herb bread since they're all bad?
Yup. What they sprinkle on top doesn't matter, they're all the same underneath.

Yeah, eggs + bacon seems pretty healthy to me. Not even joking this time. Low carbs, good protein, probably in the ballpark of 500 calories with 2 eggs and a few strips.

Also adds a shit ton of salt and I'm not totally convinced of the bad science of this OMG BACON IS HEALTHY craze.

Bread (namely, the very processed kind) is just a very efficient form of getting glucose, which is why it is easy to eat more of it than one's body may need (in a sedentary lifestyle). Calling sugar itself "poison" must be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard given that sugars are central to life and ATP/energy production. There's no need to mischaracterize the issue. I would recommend eating crisp bread or more complex carbohydrates over ones that are easily broken down, though.

oddigy

eggs and bacon is ok?

Eggs and bacon is probably one of the best breakfasts you can have. The fat content keeps you sated 'til lunch, and the low carb content of the meal helps ensure you don't crash mid-morning.

This is an interesting thread. It's interesting how our opinions of "healthy" vary. I don't think the nutrition industry knows its arse from a hole in the ground right now. Most of the junk you see on the shelves that's being touted as 'heart-healthy' relies on the old assumption that consuming fat leads to heart disease.

I hope that more studies are done over the next 25 years to prove that it's really all of this mutant wheat and sugar that's making many of us obese and miserable. Even baby formula is full of high fructose corn syrup. I wonder if there's some connection between the way our individual bodies process certain foods and how we gain weight.

About 16 months ago I started eating only foods that I could get from the perimeter of the supermarket shelves and have come down from the border of obesity and am finally a normal weight. Eggs, fresh meat, vegetables, cheese/fatty dairy. Nothing from a box. I'm just one guy, but after eating a certain way for 30 years and then making a big change, the difference is like night and day. It's not a coincidence.

SummitAve

Banned
That's where you'd be wrong. Have you completely ignored the thread?

Bread is sugar, it's bad. There's literally nothing else to it!

Next time you look at a bagel, think of it as a bag of skittles.

Because that's what it is. There is as much (if not more) sugar in a whole wheat bagel as there is in a bag of skittles.

I don't think it's healthy to look at food, and start thinking about how bad it is. A bag of skittles ain't hurtin nobody.

IceCold

Bread (namely, the very processed kind) is just a very efficient form of getting glucose, which is why it is easy to eat more of it than one's body may need (in a sedentary lifestyle). Calling sugar itself "poison" must be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard given that sugars are central to life and ATP/energy production. There's no need to mischaracterize the issue. I would recommend eating crisp bread or more complex carbohydrates over ones that are easily broken down, though.

Your body (brain) only needs like 30g of carbs a day. You are better off getting most of energy from fat. It's healthier and you'll feel fuller for longer. There's a reason your body stores it's energy as fat. It's an efficient energy source.

PUFA ratio of 20:1 LOLOLOL.

Most of the fat in eggs and bacon come from saturated/mono-saturated fats.

cryptic

Your body (brain) only needs like 30g of carbs a day. You are better off getting most of energy from fat. It's healthier and you'll feel fuller for longer. There's a reason your body stores it's energy as fat. It's an efficient energy source.

Yes but try running up a 2 mile steep mountain or working a demanding 9-5 job and you'll quickly learn why low carb Paleo may not work for all even if you are fat acclimated. You'll quickly go from being jovial and alive to live everyday like you're wading through mud while on the regular walk to the corner store.

Ketosis is the bodies state of preservation in the face of otherwise starvation, the people in concentration camps were probably in ketosis. You're also slowing your metabolism to the point where a lot of people can get by on a steak and some kale a day at 600 cals. At that point you're "super efficient" and whenever you eat a carb you balloon up because you're shits fucked going online like," lol yeah low carb/paleo friends, the religion is right, those carbs make me fat".

If you can tolerate bread then eat it, jeez.

Izayoi

Banned
I don't think it's healthy to look at food, and start thinking about how bad it is. A bag of skittles ain't hurtin nobody.
With that attitude it most certainly is hurting someone. It's definitely healthy to look at food and visualize how bad it is for you. Please stop spreading this mindset.

It is a very efficient energy source, which is why eating fats in moderation is usually wise if you are not undergoing ketosis.

For someone like me with type 1 diabetes, though, eating only fats and cutting out too many carbs made my blood glucose a lot harder to stabilize. When I ate a lot of eggs, for example, my my LDL levels skyrocketed. Ketosis is stressful on the body, and can be dangerous for someone like me. The body is versatile and has many different adaptive measures to exploit energy sources as necessary, but I try to keep all my macronutrients within relatively "moderate" ranges.

Liberty4all

Banned
Eggs and bacon is probably one of the best breakfasts you can have. The fat content keeps you sated 'til lunch, and the low carb content of the meal helps ensure you don't crash mid-morning.

isn't it high in cholesterol?

wife and I often have 2 eggs each with 3 - 4 slices of bacon. We do have it with toast though ... 2 slices each one with jam.

I'm careful about the bread and jam i buy trying to get whatever is most healthy.

all other mornings we drink shakeology.

http://www.shakeology.com/web/shakeology/the-science

http://images.beachbody.com/shakeology/science/SHK_Chart.pdf

fXAfvIW.jpg

We probably do the bacon eggs and toast 2 days a week. The rest is shakeology for breakfast mixed with half a danone.

IceCold

Yes but try running up a 2 mile steep mountain or working a demanding 9-5 job and you'll quickly learn why low carb Paleo may not work for all even if you are fat acclimated.

Ketosis is the bodies state of preservation in the face of otherwise starvation, the people in concentration camps are in ketosis. you're also slowing your metabolism to the point where a lot of people can get by on a steak and some kale a day at 600 cals.

If you eat a high fat diet you'll feel full for longer though, so where's the problem? It's a perfectly fine diet if you have a 9-5 job. If you eat lots of crabs you'll have to snack more and you could have a sugar crash. That hasn't happened to me on more than one occasion while I work. Once I ate a 12" subway sandwich at noon. By 2pm I was falling asleep at my desk. And By 3h30pm I was super hungry. Then I discovered my sandwich had like 100g+ of carbs in eat. Yikes..

But if you work out or you are an active person you'll have to increase your carbs a bit for sure (fast energy source and important for muscle growth). But the problem is that a lot of people don't get the science behind it and get their carbs from dubious sources and at large amounts.

Paleo is just the latest fad. Ignore it and eat in moderation.

This has nothing to do with paleo.

isn't it high in cholesterol?

wife and I often have 2 eggs each with 3 - 4 slices of bacon. We do have it with toast though ... 2 slices each one with jam.

I'm careful about the bread and jam i buy trying to get whatever is most healthy.

all other mornings we drink shakeology.

http://www.shakeology.com/web/shakeology/the-science

http://images.beachbody.com/shakeology/science/SHK_Chart.pdf

We probably do the bacon eggs and toast 2 days a week. The rest is shakeology for breakfast mixed with half a danone.

Eating cholesterol won't increase the cholesterol in your body. If you are worried about your heart when eating them, take a look at some of these studies: http://www.dietdoctor.com/science

This is anecdotal, but the guy from fat head, had his cholesterol decrease after eating 1 month of fast food and capping his carb intake to 100g a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom