• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is bread really THAT bad for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jowy

Neo Member
I don't understand why people say bread is bad, like really, italian and french people are very healthy and eat bread/pasta daily, hell I do and I'm healthy :S

I think the human body is very complex and there's no single diet/food that's "good" or "bad", it all comes down to how your individual body reacts to said food/diet.

i don't think it is terrible for you, but i don't know of many varieties that are all that nutritious. they don't fill me up much, or for long, which makes it very easy to overeat - and i don't typically enjoy the early morning crash after consuming a lot of easy carbs.

IceCold

Funnily enough, some paleo-GAFers claim that fried food is not shit for you.

Paleo (or at the very least its proponents) often make extremely hyperbolic claims such as the one that rice is poisonous to your body. Hell, I'll give them that wheat likely isn't good but rice seems to be fine if Asia is any indication. I remember some video linked on this site and some Paleo author gave some handwave like "Asia maybe dealt with their obesity already and adapted to rice. Look at the fat buddah statues!"

What's the problem with frying food with animal fats or stable fats such as coconut oil? The problem with fried food is that for the most part is fried in vegetable oils.

whitehawk

Banned
I don't understand why people say bread is bad, like really, italian and french people are very healthy and eat bread/pasta daily, hell I do and I'm healthy :S

I think the human body is very complex and there's no single diet/food that's "good" or "bad", it all comes down to how your individual body reacts to said food/diet.
You're presenting a very compelling argument there.

televator

Probably not related to bread at all, but I think it's funny sometimes that while the rest of the world is trying no to put on weight, I wish I could pack on some pounds. 5'-9", 140 lbs, and I eat like a pig.

Bread is loaded with nutrients, healthy fats, protein, and fibre if you are eating the right kind. But if you are eating shit bread then you are basically just eating sugar and salt.

Seanspeed

Banned
It was a joke. Don't worry about it though.
Sorry! Its hard to tell sometimes.

That's true. I'm gaining muscle mass too, getting stronger. But I've got to wonder how this diet will effect me in time as far as dangers unseen. The carbs are only being used as a way to induce muscle growth so in time I can see myself dropping carbs and sweets even lower when all I need to do is maintain my body fat level and muscle mass. All I know is this regimen is really working out for me right now.
If you're working out a lot, you can put carbs to use at least. Either loading before a cardio workout or lifting and then eating carbs to restore your glycogen stores.

If you're doing it right, which it sounds like you are, you've probably got nothing to worry about and can continue doing what you're doing.

RM8

People fear carbs because they're very calorie-dense from what I can see. Yet entire continents have incredibly carb-heavy diets, don't suffer from obesity and have some of the countries with the highest life expectancy. So really, everything is okay in moderation.

What's the problem with frying food with animal fats or stable fats such as coconut oil? The problem with fried food is that for the most part is fried in vegetable oils.

I'm curious why vegetables are healthy, but not vegetable oils. Or is it because the oil source is typically from corn or something not paleo?

Probably not related to bread at all, but I think it's funny sometimes that while the rest of the world is trying no to put on weight, I wish I could pack on some pounds. 5'-9", 140 lbs, and I eat like a pig.

metabolism tends to slow with age. though, that might be linked with the amount of activity older persons engage themselves in.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Easy calories, accessible and flexible. You can make a or two sandwich in 90 seconds while potatoes or veggies will require some kind of cooking and reheating. Reheated veggies, especially broccoli, taste and smell like shit and the texture in your mouth is gross. Potatoes unless drenched in gravy/bbq gravy are shit reheated too.

If you're worried just adjust calories or get off your ass.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm curious why vegetables are healthy, but not vegetable oils. Or is it because the oil source is typically from corn or something not paleo?

Not all vegetable oil is created equal. And they can be misleading, too. For instance, some will advertise that they're rich in Omega-3's, but what they dont tell you is that the type of Omega-3 they are rich in aren't all that great. Many are also high in polyunsaturated fat, which you need, but ideally want to limit to a pretty small amount relative to your monounsaturated and saturated fats.

SeanR1221

Sorry! Its hard to tell sometimes.

If you're working out a lot, you can put carbs to use at least. Either loading before a cardio workout or lifting and then eating carbs to restore your glycogen stores.

If you're doing it right, which it sounds like you are, you've probably got nothing to worry about and can continue doing what you're doing.

I've been consistently getting stronger over the past 15 months and I'm not a heavy carb eater, so it's also possible to do it with your carbs coming from vegetables.

Now, 15 months of strength training ain't shit. Once I start hitting walls I'll probably incorporate sweet potatoes and squash over bread, cereals and other grains.

I'd even go for a quino/rice mixture and keep it all to post heavy lifting.

The bloat factor is enough to get me to drop the majority of my carbs. I get really puffed up from most grains.

I used to eat cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, pasta for dinner.... Don't miss any of it.

Seanspeed

Banned
'Eat as well as they can' is a nebulous statement that doesn't necessarily preclude bread eating.
Its about knowledge and being able to make informed decisions on what you eat and how much of it. Just telling people, "Its ok in moderation" is a nice guideline for unhealthy foods, but you're still remaining ignorant of WHY you only want to eat it in moderation.

Resilient

I eat a fair amount of bread, lift 6 days a week, play basketball on 2 of those days, am 85kg, never been healthier in my life. I wonder what the difference is here...

Seanspeed

Banned
I've been consistently getting stronger over the past 15 months and I'm not a heavy carb eater, so it's also possible to do it with your carbs coming from vegetables.

Now, 15 months of strength training ain't shit. Once I start hitting walls I'll probably incorporate sweet potatoes and squash over bread, cereals and other grains.

I'd even go for a quino/rice mixture and keep it all to post heavy lifting.

The bloat factor is enough to get me to drop the majority of my carbs. I get really puffed up from most grains.

I used to eat cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, pasta for dinner.... Don't miss any of it.
Oh yea, I wasn't saying its the only way. Just pointing out that there are certain situations where these junk carbs can be put to work so they're not really 'junk' and are serving a purpose other than just being converted into sugar and then fat in the body because they are unused.

For me, I would eat fruit after a workout. Not too much. I wasn't super worried about size or strength gain, but I didn't want my lifting session to go to complete waste, either.

SeanR1221

Oh yea, I wasn't saying its the only way. Just pointing out that there are certain situations where these junk carbs can be put to work so they're not really 'junk' and are serving a purpose other than just being converted into sugar and then fat in the body because they are unused.

For me, I would eat fruit after a workout. Not too much. I wasn't super worried about size or strength gain, but I didn't want my lifting session to go to complete waste, either.

I know :) just letting others know its possible with minimal carbs.

Granted Ill usually eat 2 cups spinach at breakfast, 2 cups spinach and 2 cups broccoli at lunch, and usually 2 servings of brussel sprouts at dinner so I eat a LOT of veggies.

Bossun

In all honesty, bread doesn't do shit to you. Except if you eat some kind of overly sugary kind of bread (I don't know what kind of bread you have in America).
You need to have a good diet overall, no need to count the cardbs, and protein to the perfect gram of whatever. That's just stupid, except if you're a professional, and even then it's still stupid.

Just eat what you want geez...

French bread is the best, never found a country with knew how to make it that good.

Seanspeed

Banned
I know :) just letting others know its possible with minimal carbs.

Granted Ill usually eat 2 cups spinach at breakfast, 2 cups spinach and 2 cups broccoli at lunch, and usually 2 servings of brussel sprouts at dinner so I eat a LOT of veggies.

You're a better man than me, damn. lol

I'm Italian. Grains are a big part of my diet. Italians live pretty long lives (least the ones I know)

:shrug:

My entire family is skinny too. Hmmm. (And lazy)

In all honesty, bread doesn't do shit to you. Except if you eat some kind of overly sugary kind of bread (I don't know what kind of bread you have in America).
You need to have a good diet overall, no need to count the cardbs, and protein to the perfect gram of whatever. That's just stupid, except if you're a professional, and even then it's still stupid.

Just eat what you want geez...

Sounds like a terrible idea if you are over the age of 21.

SeanR1221

Lol

Go to bread.

tumblr_lvj220J5a41qh9bsso1_500.png

You're a better man than me, damn. lol

I really love green vegetables. I actually have to moderate them. I once ate like 5 cups of broccoli for lunch. Jesus it was the worst feeling in the world.

I'm Italian. Grains are a big part of my diet. Italians live pretty long lives (least the ones I know)

:shrug:

My entire family is skinny too. Hmmm. (And lazy)

I see you anecdote and raise you this.

I'm 100% Italian and grew up on Italian foods. My parents are diabetic. All four grandparents were diabetic. 3 died at a young age. Two from heart disease and one once her diabetes got out of control.

But there was always plenty of pasta for dinner!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Bread is nutritionally poor. It contains phytic acid which binds to minerals. It's fortified to mitigate mineral deficiencies. Gluten grains tend to be more irritable for the digestive system, but if you're tolerant it can be a decent for of glucose if you're active or you've been in ketosis too long. But to that end rice and tubers are superior.

Bread tends to be fattening because of what people, at least in the United States, eat it with. We have entire aisles dedicated to condiments so people can slather mayo and honey mustard all over their bread along with fake cheese. Excessively rewarding, nutritionally poor, and not even that good once you adapt to normal foods.

Cheap white bread taste pretty much like cake. They stuff it with sugar and you're hungry again almost as fast as you can eat it.

I mostly eat bread I make myself, from about 50% rye flour and 50% wheat flour, using no sugar, and sourdough instead of ready yeast.

It's extremely filling and slice or two of that for breakfast keeps you going until lunch easily.

I also add things like various seeds and seaweed for added taste.

I would imagine breads merits have a lot to do with the kind you eat. There are a million different kinds of bread and some of them certain does you no good, but I doubt it's the case for all breads.

That being said, the bread I find in the supermarkets where I live currently seems to be almost universally white fluffy sugary bread, even the so called wholemeal bread seems to be more sugar than wholemeal flour, so I think it can be hard for people to get proper bread.

Who the hell puts sugar in bread in the first place?

big_z

Great another stupid carb thread. Bread is great, it doesn't make you fat. A combination of over eating, eating like shit and being sedentary makes you fat.

cryptic

Bread is nutritionally poor. It contains phytic acid which binds to minerals. It's fortified to mitigate mineral deficiencies. Gluten grains tend to be more irritable for the digestive system, but if you're tolerant it can be a decent for of glucose if you're active or you've been in ketosis too long. But to that end rice and tubers are superior.

Bread tends to be fattening because of what people, at least in the United States, eat it with. We have entire aisles dedicated to condiments so people can slather mayo and honey mustard all over their bread along with fake cheese. Excessively rewarding, nutritionally poor, and not even that good once you adapt to normal foods.

So do a lot of foods. I always found this to be a poor point. Just adding that. I agree with what you say mostly.

IceCold

Great another stupid carb thread. Bread is great, it doesn't make you fat. A combination of over eating, eating like shit and being sedentary makes you fat.

Science!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE

Bread does not make you fat. My favourite food in the entire world is white toast with peanut butter and chocolate chips. This has been my every-day after school snack since grade 2. I'm 6'2" and 145 pounds.

I bet that's your only meal of the day.

Bread does not make you fat. My favourite food in the entire world is white toast with peanut butter and chocolate chips. This has been my every-day after school snack since grade 2. I'm 6'2" and 145 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom