• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Capcom's Panta Rhei engine causing them notable issues?

duckroll

Bumping this thread again to update the status on Capcompocalypse. They have announced a new Resident Evil multiplayer shooter for PS4 which is made in Unity. So we can throw yet another non-Panta Rhei engine onto the list that they're using for PS4 games.

No sign of Deep Down either. Lol.

Guymelef

Bumping this thread again to update the status on Capcompocalypse. They have announced a new Resident Evil multiplayer shooter for PS4 which is made in Unity. So we can throw yet another non-Panta Rhei engine onto the list that they're using for PS4 games.

"On Capcom's defense" Resident Evill will be multiplatform.

I am pretty sure the engine is long dead, same goes for Deep Down. Still curious to see if we hear anything about it at TGS.

Renekton

Also DDO on MT Framework?

So far only EA did this single-engine thing successfully?

Out of interest, what engine is SFV using? And is there a particular reason why they couldn't go on using MT Framework?
Probably for the easy steam and crossplay. SF4 had online issues transitioning from GFWL to Gabeworld.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Out of interest, what engine is SFV using? And is there a particular reason why they couldn't go on using MT Framework?
Based UE4. :D

Capcom is super confusing. Phatan Rei had sooo much awesome tech in it... perhaps it was just too nextgen for nextgen.
Wasn't Deep Down targeting 60fps? I can't see that happening with these visuals and effects.
nZdqSAJ.gif

LuGKM0e.gif

cOQbsyX.gif

Street Fighter V uses Unreal Engine 4.
I think the Remaster of RE Zero and Remake are on MT Framework.
Revelations 2 was made on MT Framework.
Dragon's Dogma Online also possibly runs on MT Framework.
Devil May Cry 4: SE was on MT Framework.

duckroll

DDO runs on MT Framework. They confirmed it in the first interview about the game and said the team's experience with the engine would make it a painless experience to develop it on additional platforms like PC.

gconsole

All last gen game (including remaster) runs on MT Framework
All current gen game runs on Unreal 4 or Unity 5.
At this point we could assume that Panty Raid engine either gone vaporware or stuck in the same limbo as Luminuous engine (and we might only see a game use it, maybe RE7)

Also DDO on MT Framework?

I expect so. A lot of the assets look exactly the same as DD.

Renekton said:
So far only EA did this single-engine thing successfully?

I can't think of another. They must have had the brightest and best at DICE working on Frostbite for quite a few years, as it seems to be extremely versatile. I wonder how many games across Ubisoft use AnvilNext, although I know Far Cry does not share that game engine and I doubt the Tom Clancy games do either.

gconsole

It's using unreal 4,

They don't license their engine out, even to sub-contractors. I believe, could be wrong though.

I don't think licensing is the problem for their sub-contractors. It's all about lack of document that stop their engine from getting anywhere outside their building.

Capcom is super confusing. Phatan Rei had sooo much awesome tech in it... perhaps it was just too nextgen for nextgen.
The thing with in-house nice tech is that it's virtually worthless if it bottlenecks and eventually clogs your development portfolio.
It can be a fantastic enabler like MTF was from early on last gen but it can be disastrous, like Crystal Tools.

I don't know how much the tech explains Capcom's current situation, seeing they still have games announced on various engines, but they don't look like they're having an output as steady as last gen.

Edit: and yeah, the catch all "in-house tech" isn't just about developing an engine but effectively deploying the associated tools.

gconsole

it scales really well for pc too.

From what I remember MT Framework was the expansion of original Onimusha 3 engine or some sort. So lots of stuff is quite old. It seems Capcom want to rework their engine from the ground up (judging by the detail they release before). And that's maybe why it doesn't get anywhere.

I mean we are already reach the middle life of current gen and there is no single trace of this engine to be seen. At this point, it's no longer feasible to continue developing it.

Renekton

At this point we could assume that Panty Raid engine either gone vaporware or stuck in the same limbo as Luminuous engine (and we might only see a game use it, maybe RE7)
Capcom is far quicker to cut losses compared to Square. Maybe too quick sometimes (insert favorite old IP)

duckroll

I don't know how much the tech explains Capcom's current situation, seeing they still have games announced on various engines, but they don't look like they're having an output as steady as last gen.

All their console output is also either re-releasing an older game, turning older concepts into online services, smaller digital titles, or developed externally. A number of their console staff from last-gen have also shifted to working on Japan-centric portable titles. Not a good look for the company at all in terms of growing from what they were known for in the previous generation.

Top Bottom