• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Deadly Premonition that good?

Djostikk

I bought it dirt cheap on Steam a week ago, but didn't have a chance to play it yet. I've heard that people here praise it and recommend whenever it's okay. What should I expect? Does the gameplay still holds up?

Its certainly an experience. Were you a fan of Twin Peaks? If so, theres definitely some fun you can get out of it even if you don't like the gameplay and story just from how much Twin Peaks is in it.

it's gameplay was never good for controls, it's all about the base level design and zany crazyness of it all... Not sure if that will suit you or not but if you can't handle a bad playing ps2 game then you may not like it. I loved it

cerulily

No it's pretty garbage.

HOWEVER the story is legitimately pretty interesting, and if you enjoy twin peaks or anything David Lynch, the characters are EXTREMELY likeable.

It is a chore to play though. Combat is stiff, environments are often quite boring. Driving mechanics are bad. The character movement is RE style, but the camera is pretty tight so it's awkward. And it doesn't perform well.

there is a reason it's the poster-child for "so bad it's good" and being an EXTREMELY flawed gem.

Do you like Twin Peaks? The answer to your question depends 65% on that and 35% on how you value mechanics and gameplay vs all the other aspects of game design.

The gameplay has never held up, but it's so worth it to see everything the game has to offer. Such a unique experience. I loved it.

no, it's bad. That is what makes it an interesting experience and worth a play. The gameplay is atrocious but it has such a cool and different atmosphere and story and lot of weird characters. It's kind of like the middle of the second season of Twin Peaks where it's bizarre and actually kind of bad but still interesting and that powers you through.

I'd rather play Deadly Premonition than most technically "good" games.

Robot Pants

It is. It's fantastic.
Just run past all the enemies and when you get to the final boss, just quit and watch the final cut scene on YouTube

Rymuth

Story's really nice and it's punctuated by immersing yourself in the town, learning the townsfolk's schedules etc. Think of it more as Shenmue than a RE-clone.

If you can't stomach it, at least watch the story on Youtube. It's a really interesting macabre.

brau

Its awesome.

Its a very unique experience, IF you can get past the quirkiness and weird presentation. Which i think is appealing on its own.

mikelink

Ok the short answer is yes.

The slightly longer answer is that you have to wait for it to really kinda get going, and it helps to try and immerse yourself in the world and do a few side quests when you can.

For me, I started really getting into it after the section at the hospital. The gameplay "holds up" in the sense that it was never good. That's fine though, because the story and characters are what will keep you playing.

tl;dr: Deadly Premonition is a very special game, and if you really give it a chance, it will really surprise you in a great way

Jackpot

Banned
It has a kinda so bad it's good vibe. It's not so much an homage to Twin Peaks as a direct rip-off.

The gameplay of fighting ghosts is awful.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's all about the story, the lore, the interesting characters. And one of the best protagonist in a game ever. Visuals are mostly garbage but it works. Hopefully someone makes a nice graphics mod for PC version or something.

TeamGizzy

Banned
I played it start to finish. Loved the hell out of it. The story is very entertaining. The driving and shooting mechanics are terrible but nothing that can't be overlooked

Had it been given a little more money for polish it would have done wonders

Hektor

It is janky, clunky, buggy and unpolished, extremely so, however, it's one of the most unique and intruiging games you are ever going to play in your life if, you can make it past these flaws.

Taruranto

The gameplay is bad, but it's really an unique game full of charm. It can be fun. Characters and story are genuinely good.

Djostikk

I'm going to give it a try. I like Twin Peaks and David Lynch. I hope I will be able to make through gameplay, you guys make sound it like abomination.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Drakengard 3 and Deadly Premonition share the same Access Games issues. IE being horrible games in of themselves which you should never recommend, but having quirks to their designs which make them acquired tastes.

Even YT's handprint on D3 was not enough to recommend because of the Access Games effect.

The end conclusion should logically be that Access games should clearly not be making games, but somehow they still live.

Steam version ? Don't bother. Even with DP fix, the game is a fucking trash port. You have to run in compatibility mode for like windows 98 to avoid crashes in certain parts of the game. And running in compatibility mode makes the load times incredibly long. And guess what? The game still randomly crashes if you play more than thirty minutes at a time. I got up until the point where I got the infinite magnum and flamethrower and uninstalled the game. I basically beat it after unlocking those weapons, so I'm fucking done with that shitty port. I can't believe they just left that game in that state.

Selddon

Banned
I see it as The Room or something like that of videogames, there is a charm to how truly horrible the gameplay, audio, and storyline is

Alfredo

The gameplay is extremely mediocre. The combat is boring. Driving is mind numbing. The controls are not great (and, in my experience, they're even more messed up on the PC).

However, exploration can be fun depending on how invested in the world you become. The characters are very charming, and the story gets pretty bonkers.

In the end, I'd say it's good, with the positives outweighing the negatives.

But, again, I could never get the PC version to run correctly.

Drakengard 3 and deadly premonition share the same Access Games issues. IE being horrible games in of themselves which you should never recommend, but having quirks to their designs which make them acquired tastes.

The end conclusion should logically be that Access games should clearly not be making games, but somehow they still live.
Are they still alive? Have they made anything recently?

timberger

Genuinely terrible game across the board. Amusingly done storyline or no, it still makes you play through hours and hours of some of the worst third person gameplay going in order to see it through to the end, and tbh, I didn't think it was worth it.

Hostile_18

Banned
One of the best games ever made. The more you value story in games, the more you'll appreciate it. Isn't that right Zach? 10/10.

Philanthr0py

Neo Member
If you are able to push passed the way the game controls, you will find a great story with great characters. It's easily one of my top 10 games I have ever played. Totally worth your time.

From what I can tell, it's a pretty terrible game if you actually have to play it yourself but it's not bad if you're just watching the cut scenes or watching someone else playing it and enjoying their suffering like laughing at a guy getting kicked in the nuts in a comedy.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could get the PC version to work, I tinkered with it for hours before giving up.

I remember going through some QTE sequence that was impossible because my game crawled to 5FPS.

If you ever wanted to play a Twin Peaks video game, then this is the one. Gameplay and graphics take a backseat to the awesome story and character development, so if you're invested it's a journey well worth taking, but sadly it's not for everyone.

Jopie

It is one of my favorite games ever. A game that me and my best friend still find ways to talk about every few weeks.

Top Bottom