• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Trepang2 any good?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've never heard of it until recently when it was recommended by someone as a game that's like FEAR, which is one of my favorites. I looked up some gameplay clips of it and it didn't look more action-y than horror. The gameplay I saw looked ok, nothing special, but didn't want to fully judge it just by that.

Would anyone recommend?

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The moment to moment gameplay is awesome and where the game shines, however the motivation to play dropped after around 10-15 hours because it always the same.

A bit cheese in tone sometimes but overall it sets a cool and eerie atmosphere. Mixed visual quality but some fancy set pieces.

I came as a fan of F.E.A.R. and was not disappointed. Took a bit to get the settings right for the controller but then i had a blast. Sad that there is no motion aim since it pretty hard on higher difficulties and this would be needed.

Shooting feels incredible thanks to a lovely distortion to the gun sounds, ragdolls and a lot of particles on display. The core gameplay loop is really well done but there is just not a lot more to it. Side missions are basically horde mode.

Taking out a hole squad within seconds while you completely obliterate everyone in the room feels so crazy. Gun sounds are very impactful as are the screams of your enemies. It's all very frantic, crazy fast and challenging. Very dark, brutal and intense game.

Definitely recommended!

Katatonic

My #1 FPS of 2023. Awesome gunplay, nice soundtrack, scary af moments, good performance. I got it on sale recently which sweetens the deal. I set the FOV to 115.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
How does it play on a controller? I've had my eye on it, but my current set-up is controller centric and it looks like it would be shit on a controller.

Griffon

Well made base gameplay, but mediocre level design. Very short, very shallow. Gets old fast sadly. It will impress you for the first couple of hours.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Would i recommend?
Cbs No GIF by HULU

YMMV

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
How does it play on a controller? I've had my eye on it, but my current set-up is controller centric and it looks like it would be shit on a controller.
Default settings are terrible but i could adjust it to feel pretty good. There are many options for a good setup. Biggest gripe would be the missing motion aim.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Amazing gunplay, average game imo.
The story is very lacking, and the campaign is more like a series of challenge maps than a traditional campaign.

If you can get it cheap (very cheap), its probably worth trying just for the gunplay.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I've never heard of it until recently when it was recommended by someone as a game that's like FEAR, which is one of my favorites. I looked up some gameplay clips of it and it didn't look more action-y than horror. The gameplay I saw looked ok, nothing special, but didn't want to fully judge it just by that.

Would anyone recommend?

The gunplay is cool but I found the levels to be uninspired and repetitive. It has some supernatural elements to it. I know it's currently on sale and that's the only way I'd recommend-wait for a heavy discount.

I still think the current $30(on sale) is too high for it IMO.

$20 is more like it.

phant0m

dogshit story, useless hub area, mediocre to average level design. ohhhhhhhhhhh that gameplay though.

To those who didn't like it, which recent FPS' were better in your opinion?
RoboCop: Rogue City fucks pretty hard. Gorgeous graphics, very solid gameplay and the world & characters are right out of the movie.

If you like boomer shooters, Prodeus is really good.

Top Bottom