• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Fallout 4 worth $20?

True Fire

Of course it's worth 20 dollar. Don't listen to the ridiculous hyperbole.

I enjoyed Fallout 4's open world way more than Horizon's and Zelda's. Just don't play it for the story or characters.

Spman2099

No. I gave my friend the same advice and he refused to listen.

He literally just finished playing it this weekend (apparently it was temporarily free on steam) and had this to say about it...

"Man Fallout 4 made me not want to really play video games"

It may be a bad Fallout game, but it's still a good and fun game. Even story DLCs were fun.

I found ways to make Fallout 4 into a game that I enjoy playing. It really holds its own as something like an imaginative Stalker alternative in my mind, with the right mods. Fallout 4 is a strong backbone, in some ways, and it's not impossible that Fallout 5 retains many of Fallout 4's design decisions while re-introducing facets of the series that I appreciate the most (it just looks unlikely, but who knows.)

Personally, though, I can't recommend the PS4 version if only because I assume it's not moddable to the extent that I personally like. I may be wrong in that assumption.

The DLC was solid, though I've got issues with Nuka-World that people who haven't held Fallout lore so dearly might not have.

RPGCrazied

I still have not played this very much since getting it at release. Was just swamped with games and never recovered. Maybe I'll get to it one day, but more Fallout is a good thing in my eyes, hope 5 gets announced soon.

Mathieran

Banned
I bought it for 20 and got maybe 7 or 8 hours before I was bored out of my mind. But I'm sure a lot of other folks have gotten better mileage out of it than me. I might try again sometime with the ps4 mods.

kiguel182

I had 20 dollars of fun out of it. Exploring the world, crafting and building your town is a fun loop. The story isn't interesting but the world itself is fun to wander around.

canedaddy

Absolutely. It's the most fun I've had with the series.

Fallout 3 was dull, and New Vegas was a great game encased in a carnival of glitches and bugs.

It's not worth playing for free in my opinion. Just a total catastrophe of a game. I couldn't even finish it because of a game-ruining bug that was never patched.

Yes, it's a very enjoyable game from hours 0 - 40, a solid game from hours 40 - 60, kinda okay from hours 70-80, and then you're just kinda like "meh..." after hour 80. But, if a game can give you a lot of enjoyment for at least 60 or so hours, then it's a pretty good enjoyment for the cost.

Plenty of things could have been better, but all in all, it was a good game for me.

BizzyBum

It's kinda amazing how many people hate the game.

I put in 350 hours on the PC. It's a great game, worth the $60 I paid and then some.

Arulan

Bethesda's vision for Fallout has been nothing short of disastrous. From the moment it was revealed at E3 2015, it was evident what the repercussions to having a voiced protagonist would be.

Triteon

If you loved Fallout 3, you'll probably love 4. If you loved F:NV, you probably won't love F4. Personally, I didn't love F:NV.

I love Fallout: NV, I'm going on record that I liked 4 more than 3.

At least it had some (not all) interesting companions and it tried to give you some proper faction choice. The shooting was better as well.

It's one of the few games I actually beat in 2015. I played it for about 30 hours and I enjoyed it. I don't regret paying $60 for it. It's definitely worth $20.

Syder

I'd say FO4 on it's own isn't worth 20 bucks. You'll get many hours out of it but I can't really say if you'd enjoy it as much as previous games.

FO4 plus all the DLC content is probably worth 20 dollars though.

for 20 sure, I haven't found any mods that makes it into "New Vegas 2" in terms of quest outcomes, but playing it on survival mode and the Horizon mod makes it ok. Not a very good rpg, but a decent survival shooter with crafting and settlements.

Head.spawn

Playing through it right now for the first time and I'd say yes. Its not the best thing ever but i think using gaf for purchase decisions is a bad idea because a good deal of the time you run into piggybacked hyperbole from people that might not have even played it but have an axe to grind.

A sure sign you should ignore them is when it sounds more like they're describing a natural disaster than a decently reviewed videogame.

If you want real RPG elements and choices that actually have impact, stick to stuff like New Vegas, Wasteland 2, Divinity, Pillars, and Witcher to name a few.

Hey it'd be great if we could stop bringing up Witcher 3 in unrelated rpg threads, especially since it's not even the best 3D rpg of the past few years thanks.

What had a bigger impact than Witcher 3? The Witcher 3 is now the measurement of how RPG's will be judged, especially fantasy RPG's.

EDIT

and definitely anything from Bethesda lol

All the criticism.

I know some of you guys wanna frame all negative Fallout 4 discussion as 'hate', because 'haters gonna hate' and that's so much easier to dismiss

but there's very good reasons for that Fallout 4 has seen such criticism.
It deserves a ton of criticism but maybe you should read through this thread again if you think all of it is well written criticism instead of constant few sentence shit posting or completely distorting the game (i.e. it's just like fallout 3)

-MD-

This isn't a game I look back on with much fondness despite dumping like 60-70 hours into it. Nothing about it was memorable.

It's certainly worth $20 if you're interested in the game but I wouldn't actually recommend the game to anyone myself.

Alebrije

Get New Vegas Ultimated edition instead if you have not played it.

So much better game and basically the same graphics.

What had a bigger impact than Witcher 3? The Witcher 3 is now the measurement of how RPG's will be judged, especially fantasy RPG's.

EDIT

and definitely anything from Bethesda lol
Yeah that's what I'm saying, thanks for proving my point lol. It's fucking stupid that people think Witcher 3 shouldn't be this barometer of amazing rpgs since compared to Fallout 1, 2 and NV it falls short big time mechanically.

Also fallout 4 actually has good combat and crafting, hell it's an FPS arpg compared to Witcher 3's sub par action combat. One can easily appeal to someone and not someone else (I liked both games even though I've got big complaints about both)

Compare and contrast how much better Witcher 3's quests are written or what have you but in seemingly every single current gen rpg thread that isn't Bloodborne, Horizon or BOTW there's a ton of "just play Witcher 3 even though that's not what you were asking for and it may be a different sub genre and you may have already played it".

Yeah we get it, Witcher 3 is a good game.

Top Bottom