• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Hajime Tabata a "tensai"? (genius)

bunkitz

Fuck no. He believed that the right way to tell FFXV's story was purely from Noctis' perspective and that cutting out other aspects of the story that would have informed the players of various things, such as the lore and motivations of other characters, what's happening to them, etc. was the right thing to do.

Now, granted, he and his team are correcting this mistake of theirs, which is great. I'm not saying he was an idiot for making said mistake in the first place, but he absolutely should not ever be considered a genius for that blunder of his.

He helped salvage an extremely troubled development. People can argue about the 'completeness' of FFXV all day - and there's certainly plenty of merit to that standpoint - but in the span of what was it? About three years (fall 2013 to fall 2016)? He managed to release a major AAA retail game to above average critical/commercial response.

Both Tabata and XIV's Yoshida stepped up and turned gigantic messes into impressive success stories. Both are worthy of high praise and I hope each of their respective 'next' projects are even more successful.

That said, I don't think this makes Tabata a genius though, nor worthy of a 'FF savior' title.
IMO, the trifecta of Sakaguchi (father of FF), Ito (game design magician), and Kitase (cinematic visionary) are far more worthy of any kind of 'tensai' (lol) titles and, in the long run, have contributed a hell of a lot more to account for FF's worldwide success.

Is OP a "weeaboo"?

giphy.gif

firelogic

He got FFXV out the door but it would seem that all the main things were done when Nomura was in charge. The gist of story (boys road trip), the characters, the character designs, the music, the look and function of the world, the game mechanics, names of people and places, the design of the main areas.

He didn't bring anything new to the table and got rid of a lot of the cool and interesting aspects.

His other game on PSP wasn't very good either and that was all him.

He isn't a genius, but he gets things done. He makes some of the best endings for games though, I give him that.

And baby, it would be a good idea to stop peppering your sentences with japanese words.

Auctopus

Could you have not written "genius" in the title or does "Tensai" imply other characteristics that my filthy gaijin mind couldn't comprehend?

Izuna

Banned
Could you have not written "genius" in the title or does "Tensai" imply other characteristics that my filthy gaijin mind couldn't comprehend?

I'm half tempted to consider that OP only made this thread because they discovered this word.

MKIL65

But how else would he have baited all the westaboos on GAF to enter this thread?
/s

RM8

What was the point of using a perfectly translatable word like that. Is it some kind of meme I'm not aware of? Whatever the case, I have to go to the nhà vệ sinh. До встречи!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Genius usually has a secular meaning.

"Tensai" has the kanji for "heavenly" in, ascribing ones intelligence as a natural gift bestowed upon one by celestial forces.

Thus, Tabata-sensei is a gift from Kami-sama himself!

I've never heard anyone refer to Tabata as any thing even close to a genius.

In fact, the idea is laughable. I give him credit for actually getting FFXV out the door, but his track record is mediocre at best.

Korigama

He helped salvage an extremely troubled development. People can argue about the 'completeness' of FFXV all day - and there's certainly plenty of merit to that standpoint - but in the span of what was it? About three years (fall 2013 to fall 2016)? He managed to release a major AAA retail game to above average critical/commercial response.

Both Tabata and XIV's Yoshida stepped up and turned gigantic messes into impressive success stories. Both are worthy of high praise and I hope each of their respective 'next' projects are even more successful.

That said, I don't think this makes Tabata a genius though, nor worthy of a 'FF savior' title.
IMO, the trifecta of Sakaguchi (father of FF), Ito (game design magician), and Kitase (cinematic visionary) are far more worthy of any kind of 'tensai' (lol) titles and, in the long run, have contributed a hell of a lot more to account for FF's worldwide success.
XV releasing to above average critical response doesn't amount to much when XIII did as well, demonstrating just how reliable the average gaming journalist's opinion of JRPGs typically is. It being a mainline, single-player FF on a new generation of consoles pretty much guaranteed commercial success, though it's still noteworthy that it managed to be the first in years to fail to reach 1 million sales in SE's home market (even XIII managed that much in Japan). Since most players conclude that XIV:ARR is actually good, it also seems like a disservice to put the likes of XV on the same level.

Either way, it's regrettable that this will likely be yet another generation dedicated to expanding upon one specific FF, just as the seventh was devoted to XIII.
What game are you talking about?
Type-0.

Mar Nosso

Banned
He seems to be a run of the mill director whose only claim to fame is working his whip hard enough to finish and release, in an incomplete and profoundly changed from original vision manner, a game that had long been in development hell.

For him to be a genius director it would take a string of games recognised at large as artistic and visionary representations of the genre.

He did ok with the task at hand IMO. He had to scrap together a game from a concept on an incomplete game engine. He did cut a lot of cool stuff from the game but I don't think its possible to make the game Nomura wanted in the time frame they were given.

That said I'm not fond of some aspects such as the battle system where I wonder if it would have been better off as a new IP to remove some restrictions. Perhaps the new IP will be better, but perhaps not. None of his games have really been stellar.

He's not a genius but he gets more shit than he deserves for what he was handed with FFXV.

Muffdraul

If FFXV is the case study, then I would say if anyone is a tensai then it's Nomura... but he lacks discipline and commitment. Tabata is no tensai, but at least he can finish a fucking project to some degree. Sure he put his own stamp on FFXV, but most of the ideas were Nomura's.

Arkeband

Banned
There are directors who are auteurs, like Kojima, Taro, Miyazaki, Kamiya, etc. They are known for creating the bulk of the concept work and design of their games, and are known for having at least some competency across many specializations to be able to steer development properly.

And then there are developers who are legit geniuses, like Carmack and Iwata, as they single handedly and repeatedly pull off programming feats while leading development that save entire projects and become touchstones for future developers.

Tabata inherited someone else's project and pushed it out in a sloppy state. Anyone can do that. And his other games that he had full control over are similarly not very well received and full of idiosyncrasies.

He's not a programmer and he's a mediocre director, he's no genius.

I see nothing to indicate "genius" in FFXV. He may be a talented game dev in the totality of his work (I'm not sure I would even agree with that personally), but "genius" seems like a stretch for most devs, let alone this scenario.

Mifec

All 3 games he made were mediocre, so no he's far from a genius, in fact seeing his name on a game would make me instantly not buy it.

Koozek

He's kakkoii:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cjJcqWD.png[/IMG]

But also kawaii:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NlcYxtQ.jpg[/IMG]

He's sensei:
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/iuIZQS0.png[/IMG]

But also samurai:
Code: