• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Horizon ZD the only game this gen that delivered on its early trailers promise

Synth

WTF are you talking about mate? These are just as impressive as the above gif, any any game would be lucky to be downgraded to those gifs.

Did I say it looks bad?... Hell did I even suggest it's not one of top 5 graphical games of the generation, period?

I'm responding people that are offering it up on a shortlist of examples of games that achieved what the early trailers suggest. Uncharted 4 is not one of these games at all. It's close graphically, but runs at half the reveals framerate, even during cutscenes.

And the post you quoted was in response to the suggestion that it was clearly pre-rendered, as though this was simply common knowledge. It wasn't, as the thread I linked shows. Hell, the trailer itself starts out immediately with this:
kpPNjVf.png

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The Order surpassed its initial visuals.

F4qbh57.gif

IFDRBJs.gif

It did!

I think I'm one of the few people on here that thinks The Order is an underappreciated gem. It's not a perfect game, and I have my issues with the narrative (mainly the abrupt ending), but I thought the atmosphere was fantastic, the visuals stellar, and the gunplay very satisfying. I just wish there was more of everything. It really deserved a sequel.

I've been debating popping the disc in again and doing a livestream of it. My backlog is too big at the moment, however, and I keep adding more games to it!

kyser73

It did!

I think I'm one of the few people on here that thinks The Order is an underappreciated gem. It's not a perfect game, and I have my issues with the narrative (mainly the abrupt ending), but I thought the atmosphere was fantastic, the visuals stellar, and the gunplay very satisfying. I just wish there was more of everything. It really deserved a sequel.

I've been debating popping the disc in again and doing a livestream of it. My backlog is too big at the moment, however, and I keep adding more games to it!

I just bought it in the PSN 'Only on PlayStation' sale. Bought it on release, played & finished but I occasionally wanna get dat eye candy, especially the Agamemnon level.

As good as Horizon looks, it was never anything unbelievable when it was first revealed especially knowing what GG were capable of visually.

U4, BotW, Watch Dogs and The Division are the worst offenders when it comes to what was shown off first to the end product. The Drake beach scene is still mind numbingly stunning to this day.

Salz01

It did!

I play it time to time. I think it's great. Really wish there was a sequel. I mean Knack for cryin out loud gets a sequel.......

Horizon is a contender for best looking game of all time and it's open world.

Ghost Recon delivered as well. It doesn't look as nice but it's got an amazing draw distance.

Slaythe

Zelda surpassed its trailers "experience" wise but if you're talking graphics only, then yeah I guess Horizon.

I'd still count Zelda, the cell shade makes it easy to overlook the flaws. It's still very powerful and so enjoyable.

Persona 5 both on experience and graphics.

The David Cage games are usually exactly what you'd expect. (love them or hate them but they're not dishonest)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I dunno, I think this stealth grass is much better than what we got.
(From the OT)
wK0GILE.gif

Still love it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835985

Look at the exaltation of ND in that thread, as a result of them proclaiming what you now say "was clearly a pre-rendered cutscene" was running in realtime at 60fps on a standard PS4.

I'm sorry, but it's stupid for everyone to be falling over themselves, proclaiming Naughty Gods etc, when something nice is shown, only to turn around and be all "nah nah, that one didn't count" because it's now evident that it was full of shit.

That's not really my problem. At the end of the day, there was now 'heavy downgrade', and real time does not necessarily mean gameplay.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I think Zelda turned out well. The first footage we got is totally different from what we got in the end. Totally different art style and Link still had his green hat/tunic. I don't think Nintendo really knew what they were wanting to do back then. To be fair that screenshot showing the world looks good and so does some of the footage from e3 2014 but I still think what we ended up with was close to what was shown then. I'm happy with the final product. If it looked like it did in 2011 I'd be disappointed. The change in art style was a huge positive for me. I love the bright colourful cartoon look.

It was an upgrade for me not a downgrade.

I think Sony hire some astounding technical artists producing the most impressive 3D engines in the industry, and in many instances, their trailers have been exact representations of what we experience as consumers.

At the same time, it's rather remarkable that their in-engine trailers compete with many of these targeted rendered, or show builds that are being put out by other publishers. Horizon Zero Dawn looks better than The Witcher 3's show build trailers.

pixelation

Uncharted 4 no. Straight cg that ND bullshited to be real-time.

The trailer had lighting, AA, shadows, skin shaders, alpha blending that couldn't run in real time on a ps4 (according to themselves) let alone 60fps.

I wonder how close to the reveal trailer TLoU 2 will look, was it confirmed to be running in real time?

RootCause

Thread got me thinking about Death Stranding. Game is going to be insane, I'm hoping they improve the engine.

Also, can't help but laugh at the usual suspect coming in to crap on a thread just because it's got horizon in the tittle. Keep on fighting the good fight. 😉

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Lol no.

confirmed horizon didn't deliver. Grass isn't the same as original trailer.
They specifically said that they couldn't get multiple tallnecks migrating in-game so no technically they didn't deliver on all fronts. And ofc as the above points out the grass in the original trailer had dynamic physics that reacted to the player compared to the final game where the player might as well not exist.

Darknight

Cant believe the first teaser that we saw for Infamous Second Son and The order I thought were just some nice looking CGI trailer. Sony 1st party has blown me away this gen.

In my mind I didnt expect Delsin's in game model to be 1:1 with that teaser. The amount of detail, it just blew my mind. I wasnt ready lol. We are still in the same gen and Sony's 1st party are literally doing black magic with the hardware. (Horizon and yet to come games..Quantic Dreams, GOW4 0_o)

They specifically said that they couldn't get multiple tallnecks migrating in-game so no technically they didn't deliver on all fronts. And ofc as the above points out the grass in the original trailer had dynamic physics that reacted to the player compared to the final game where the player might as well not exist.

huh wow i did not know that, very interesting, i legit thought everything got an upgrade except they dynamic physics on the grass. Speaking about horizon early footage i will try to see if i can compare some shots. From what i have seen the retail copy did get notable improvements to the visuals.

Top Bottom