• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Horizon ZD the only game this gen that delivered on its early trailers promise

Uncharted 4 looks better then pre-release
Not even death stranding characters have this fine grain level of detail and shaders, btw they quietly confirmed they had to downgrade the visuals of the reveal trailer because there was no way the ps4 could handle it, the hair/arm hair was very expensive. 60fps downgrade was a given due to them opening up environments.

facialanimation2.gif

Gurish

U4 looks better if we are comparing it to the E3 gameplay demos, obviously if we are talking about the first teaser that ran at 60 than no, but does this teaser really counts? I think the E3 gameplay demos were much more significant and in that aspect the final game delivered big time and even surpassed those demos.

Where did people get the idea that UC4 was downgraded? The in-engine cutscenes they showed look as good as any in the final game. And we never saw 60fps single player footage.

If you include that original footage it was massively downgraded. Naughty dog even came clean and said they basically created that footage render farm style

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Would love to see Nintendo release that realistic looking Zelda game from E3 2011. :(

Yiazmat

Not it was not "heavily" downgraded unless you are talking about the framerate.

And why would talking about the framerate not count as heavily downgraded? It's like literally half the graphical output. Any game could do wonders if they were allowed to just slice the fps in half.

This

If you include that original footage it was massively downgraded. Naughty dog even came clean and said they basically created that footage render farm style

Also this

Honestly most of Sony's output delivers on their early showings in terms of visuals

Driveclub, Infamous Second Son, The Order 1886, Bloodborne, and framerate aside, Uncharted 4 all basically looked as good or better than their prerelease footage.
Uncharted 4 no. Straight cg that ND bullshited to be real-time.

The trailer had lighting, AA, shadows, skin shaders, alpha blending that couldn't run in real time on a ps4 (according to themselves) let alone 60fps.

Synth

Because generally when people talk about downgrade they strictly talking the graphics and not performance. I would like to them clarify what they meant by that statement because I seriously doubt it was referring to the framerate.

edit - I forgot we never actually saw gameplay at 60fps so there nothing to downgrade from and therefore completely irrelevant.

Maybe "generally" they're not talking performance, but that doesn't prevent it being a downgrade. Smoother running games look better also, the two go hand-in-hand.

And not seeing gameplay is irrelevant, and I'm not sure why that excuse even gets made. A "early trailer's" promise is very often not gameplay, but it's usually supposed to represent the game at the time you'll play it (even if that means the cutscenes). Uncharted 4's cutscenes are still downgraded from what the early trailers promise.

U4 looks better if we are comparing it to the E3 gameplay demos, obviously if we are talking about the first teaser that ran at 60 than no, but does this teaser really counts?

Yes it counts. Especially if the studio makes a big deal about it running real-time at 60fps on the console at the time.

Ricky_R

I think Uncharted 4 cut-scenes reached the reveal trailer in terms of visuals. The 60 FPS is another story though. The game did improve visually from the first gameplay showcase.

SarusGray

I've never taken so many screenshots of a game before.
My Horizon folder is almost 5GB (The 4k shots are 5-12mb per shot)

There is much I love about the visuals. Even after 70+ hours with the game I came across a part of the map where the fog sweeping in at dusk looked especially amazing...
HorizonZeroDawn_20170324081527.png

And then I saw a huge swarm of birds... something I've never seen in any other game before.
HorizonZeroDawn_20170323060556.png

And they flew around like crazy xD It looked so good.

The trailers looked very good, but the final game legit blew my mind

this game never stops giving.

I think Uncharted 4 cut-scenes reached the reveal trailer in terms of visuals. The 60 FPS is another story though. The game did improve visually from the first gameplay showcase.

I am pretty sure DF confirmed there was post-processing in the Uncharted 4 reveal trailer that is no where to be found in the retail game, so no on that count too.

dsier

Fallout 4 maybe? I mean, it's not a pretty game by any stretch of the imagination but if I remember correctly the final game looked pretty much the same compared to the e3 footage.

Replicant

No but its definitely a notable example of a game meeting/exceeding all pre-release gameplay/trailers/info.

I remember Until Dawn exceeding everything I saw pre-release, as recent example thats not Horizon.

They use same engine, right? Decima?

Also, in comparison to ME:A, the animation and character facial expression is much much better in Fallout 4.

Raonak

Banned
Sony's been doing a pretty good job matching their trailers.

Killzone, Infamous, Drive Club I remember all being better than the reveals.
Horizon being the recent example. That game looks way too good.

I think this gen has delivered on being as good as or better than announcement footage overall. Even though it somehow has an aura of not being so.

120v

Fallout 4 maybe? I mean, it's not a pretty game by any stretch of the imagination but if I remember correctly the final game looked pretty much the same compared to the e3 footage.

it was the rare occasion where they said fuck it, here's the damn game

catch 22 there was a massive uproar over how the game looked

Infamous: Second Son. It's still one of the best looking games on the PS4 too, which is pretty impressive for a launch window title. I had all of the pre-release footage and screenshots pegged as Ubisoft stuff and bullshots respectively, but the game delivered on them 100% (which is rare IMHO).

singhr1

Wait, what early trailers are we talking about here? Because I remember Sunset Overdrive's reveal trailer being very clearly prerendered.

the announcement trailer introduced the character with CG but transitioned into gameplay IIRC

ChouGoku

Im pretty sure this is true of almost all of Sony's 1st party games this gen. They have all matched or exceeded their pre release media.

Horizon actually looks better than its first public showing.

Uncharted 4 no. Straight cg that ND bullshited to be real-time.

The trailer had lighting, AA, shadows, skin shaders, alpha blending that couldn't run in real time on a ps4 (according to themselves) let alone 60fps.

The initial teaser wasn't CG.

Graphical downgrades always piss me off, but especially in the case of Andromeda where the final game is radically different from its reveal trailer 4-5 months prior.

Speely

Banned
All I know is that when I watch H:ZD being played I have a harder time believing that a game can have this kind of visual excellence, all around, more so than any other game I have ever seen. It's fucking silly what GG has achieved with it.

Random aside: I would love for GG to develop a new Panzer Dragoon, complete with a Moebius-inspired aesthetic.

Can you imagine it? Imagine it. Do it.

Osiris397

Banned
The thing with HZD is that it's so freakin sublime. At times it's hard to play because you just want to stop to admire GG's work, but then it's so fun, it draws you in to want to keep pushing forward and just explore.

I was totally burned out on open world games. I avoided Witcher and now...AFTER HZD I'm wanting to grab Witcher and just give open world games another go. It's crazy.

On what planet was Uncharted 4 "heavily downgraded"? That reveal trailer was clearly a pre-rendered cutscene and even then, the final visuals we got in the game's pre-rendered cutscenes wasn't far off at all. The way people exaggerate on this forum sometimes...

Edit: Bloodborne as well? Some of you love to see things that aren't there.

Ricky_R

I am pretty sure DF confirmed there was post-processing in the Uncharted 4 reveal trailer that is no where to be found in the retail game, so no on that count too.

I don't know... I think it definitely reached it visually. There are cut-scenes in the game I found more impressive looking tbh, like the hotel one where Elena confronts Drake, or the one when they find the
dead pirates
, among others.

Post processing or not, it looks visually on par. I wouldn't call it a downgrade visually. It's still a downgrade overall though, since the game ended up at half the frame rate.

Synth

On what planet was Uncharted 4 "heavily downgraded"? That reveal trailer was clearly a pre-rendered cutscene and even then, the final visuals we got in the game's pre-rendered cutscenes wasn't far off at all. The way people exaggerate on this forum sometimes...

Edit: Bloodborne as well? Some of you love to see things that aren't there.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835985

Look at the exaltation of ND in that thread, as a result of them proclaiming what you now say "was clearly a pre-rendered cutscene" was running in realtime at 60fps on a standard PS4.

I'm sorry, but it's stupid for everyone to be falling over themselves, proclaiming Naughty Gods etc, when something nice is shown, only to turn around and be all "nah nah, that one didn't count" because it's now evident that it was full of shit.

RootCause

It's one of them. MGS5 delivered too, as did Uncharted 4, Bloodborne , Xenoblade and others.

I was going to say Witcher 3, but that took a hit.

Tripolygon

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835985

Look at the exaltation of ND in that thread, as a result of them proclaiming what you now say "was clearly a pre-rendered cutscene" was running in realtime at 60fps on a standard PS4.

I'm sorry, but it's stupid for everyone to be falling over themselves, proclaiming Naughty Gods etc, when something nice is shown, only to turn around and be all "nah nah, that one didn't count" because it's now evident that it was full of shit.
WTF are you talking about mate? These are just as impressive as the above gif, any any game would be lucky to be downgraded to those gifs.
They released a teaser, then released a gameplay footage. The final retail graphics beats the graphics of the pre-release gameplay and some of the in-game realtime cutscenes like the ones i posted above are at the level of or barely below the pre-release teaser trailer in terms of quality. That particular scene has changed significantly in the final retail game.

Head.spawn

I'd say the vast majority of games deliver on their early trailers; the ones that fall short are definitely the minority.

Top Bottom