• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Hotline Miami 2 for the Vita worth $7 if I already own it on PC?

ScOULaris

I asked this in the PSN Critic's Choice sale thread, but nobody answered and I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should get the Vita version of HM2.

I'm a huge fan of the series and own both games on PC as well as the Vita release of HM1. I played through HM1 on the Vita recently and enjoyed it despite being frustrated by the controls. I found it very difficult to approach the level of precision and flow that I can achieve in the Hotline games with a KB/M setup on PC.

So my main concern is with how Hotline Miami 2's larger, more gun-centric level designs play out with the Vita's limited controls. The sequel was already much harder than the original on PC, but I'd imagine that it would be straight-up unfair at times on the Vita.

Did they improve the controls at all from HM1 to HM2 on the Vita? And either way, is the Vita port generally worth it to have one of my favorite games in portable form?

SMG

I gave up on it due to the limited visible area. getting shot off screen happened all the time

ScOULaris

I own both versions, and, I can only bring myself to play it on Vita. It's a perfect version.

You prefer Vita over the PC version? May I ask how/why?

In my view the game is designed around the precision of KB/M controls, and having to use your finger to drag the screen to see further on the Vita version is objectively inferior to being able to hold down Shift on PC and see further while maintaining full control.

Maybe I'm just missing something.

The first game worked well on Vita, but the difficulty in the second is ramped up so much higher that I wished I played it on PC instead of PS3.

Still, as a portable version, it can't hurt.

jacobeid

Banned

In my view the game is designed around the precision of KB/M controls, and having to use your finger to drag the screen to see further on the Vita version is objectively inferior to being able to hold down Shift on PC and see further while maintaining full control.

I haven't played the sequel so I can't comment on that but I greatly preferred to play the first on Vita over PC due to the touchscreen controls. Oddly enough I think there are tons of people who believe the Vita version is the best version.

YvTyQ5H.jpg

just taking the opportunity to share this box art.

pa22word

I gave up on it due to the limited visible area. getting shot off screen happened all the time
This.

First game was fine on the vita, the later levels in 2 when the game goes balls out can be pretty intolerable without the standard mouse look controls (which plays very differently than the console controls, not just being a mouse warrior here) on the PC version.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

It's portable.

But personally I cant stand mouse keyboard controls for almost any game. Like, I'm the guy that plays first person shooters on PC......with a controller. So I'm probably not the best judge for comparison here since mouse keyboard is so weird and alien to me. But nevertheless the Vita version plays very well and it's great to have the game portable. Also touch for lock on is super convenient.

MUnited83

For you.
I owned the first on PS3/PC/Vita and the Vita was by far the one I played the most. I actually thought it controlled pretty well even. Sadly, this is not the case with 2. The level design that puts lots of enemies out of your vision makes it a complete hassle on the Vita.
PC is the way to go.

And if you want to play it on the to, you could buy a GPD Win and play it there

bat_02.jpg

You would be able to play it at a higher resolution, take advantage of Steam controller customisation to make the controls better, as well as having access to hundreds upon hundreds of custom levels made by the community and published on the Steam Workshop.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I owned the first on PS3/PC/Vita and the Vita was by far the one I played the most. I actually thought it controlled pretty well even. Sadly, this is not the case with 2. The level design that puts lots of enemies out of your vision makes it a complete hassle on the Vita.
PC is the way to go.

And if you want to play it on the to, you could buy a GPD Win and play it there

bat_02.jpg

You would be able to play it at a higher resolution, take advantage of Steam controller customisation to make the controls better, as well as having access to hundreds upon hundreds of custom levels made by the community and published on the Steam Workshop.
Every time I see a picture of that device it makes me want to vomit. That really isn't a good portable solution. At all. But hopefully we'll get our good handheld PC solution one day. One day. It's a start I guess.

MUnited83

For you.
Every time I see a picture of that device it makes me want to vomit. That really isn't a good portable solution. At all. But hopefully we'll get our good handheld PC solution one day. One day. It's a start I guess.
Having played with it for a bit, I disagree. It's a great device and with the recent steam controller improvements you can work your way around many of the control issues you'd face otherwise. If someone wanted to trade one of these for my old Vita I would make that trade in that same second.

thisisamul

Neo Member
I asked this in the PSN Critic's Choice sale thread, but nobody answered and I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should get the Vita version of HM2.

I'm a huge fan of the series and own both games on PC as well as the Vita release of HM1. I played through HM1 on the Vita recently and enjoyed it despite being frustrated by the controls. I found it very difficult to approach the level of precision and flow that I can achieve in the Hotline games with a KB/M setup on PC.

So my main concern is with how Hotline Miami 2's larger, more gun-centric level designs play out with the Vita's limited controls. The sequel was already much harder than the original on PC, but I'd imagine that it would be straight-up unfair at times on the Vita.

Did they improve the controls at all from HM1 to HM2 on the Vita? And either way, is the Vita port generally worth it to have one of my favorite games in portable form?

I think the controls are just fine, actually. I'm sure KB/M is best, but I played this on both ps4 and vita, and strongly think the Vita version controls better (likely due to the short throw of the analog sticks).

To compensate for the lack of accuracy, you can use the automatic targeting (I think it's square on vita). I didn't use it all that much, but it can help at times.

I think the game is f'in awesome on Vita so my recommendation is, GET IT!

I finished both games on Vita. Had no problems with them tbh. A little frustrating at times with 2, but yeah. Still great.

I would buy them again if I were you to support the team.

ScOULaris

I finished both games on Vita. Had no problems with them tbh. A little frustrating at times with 2, but yeah. Still great.

I would buy them again if I were you to support the team.
Yep. I ended up getting it. I love the game too much not to get it in portable form, and I wanted to support the devs as well. It's actually really good so far. I'm not looking forward to certain levels later in the game though. The Vita controls really force you to play much more slowly/carefully when compared to playing on PC, but it's still a fun way to experience the game.

Top Bottom