• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it dangerous that people see YouTubers as "their friends"?

Yes it's dangerous, but no, it's not...EXACTLY a new thing, sorta.

It's sort of a part of the larger overarching blogger culture, where thru following various blogs and posts and tweets by people we tend to know these online celebs, be they multimillion subscriber titans or small time microbloggers with 100 followers, better than we know most of our actual friends and family, despite it being likely that they don't know who tf we are.

I think what separates the blogging or vlogging experience from something like soap operas or traditional hollywood celebs or boy bands is that we tend to know the exact details of their lives far better than anything that came before, and this is just sorta treated like a normal thing. It's clear they aren't bound by contracts or anything, and they sure aren't TRYING to manipulate you, in most cases, but you end up growing attached anyway because well...that's just how people work. Not just kids, but everyone, we really aren't programmed to handle this kind of human interaction on a biological level. It's pretty scary when you think of it, especially since the typical youtuber types seem to be absolutely allergic to any kind of personal responsibility.
Whenever they fuck up, they have the choice of either listening to the people who have legit criticism, or they can choose to listen to the swarthes of impressionable adoring fans (and reactionaries posing as fans) who will agree with everything they do, and in every situation, it's far easier to go with the adoring fans, every time. It's this path of least resistance that leads so many youtubers down a road of just being complete dipshits because they know they can get away with it. I guess thats just the future we live in.

NoKisum

The concept of idol worship has been around for many millenniums.
(Millennia? Is that how you write the plural?)
It's nothing new at all.

Though, I guess it says a lot about us as humans if the concept was never squashed in previous years considering it's the cause of many wars and deaths.

Calabi

Yes, it is potentially very dangerous. But it is not new, nor is it a phenomenon attributed solely to youth. Hero worship has been an issue in all forms of media since its inception. Adults are by no means immune to this either, just look at sports and politics for example. The issue with social media is that it promotes a semi-intimate connection by its very nature, therefore increasing the likelihood of negative effects. But again, it's an issue for society, not just youth.

As always, a clear head and proper view of what things really are is needed. Children and youth need their parents, other adults, or even wiser peers/young adults to help them with that, and adults should remain mindful and not automatically assume they have it all together just because of their age.

I think it is new. This is a new form of hero worship. Where the hero's are more accessible than they have ever been. Its coupled with the internet, where people are becoming more isolated narcissistic and alone.

You can see it on Twitch and Youtube alike. There's no balancing or grounding force around many of these people. It can get very confusing and messed up.

You have the contradiction where these celebrities have to be accessible and everyones friends and yet isolate and protect themselves. Spunky Monkys post above outlines what these Youtubers life's are like. They dont have the normal communities and structures celebrities would have. This is a whole new thing where no one knows what they are doing, you can see mistakes being made all the time.

I dont know if its good or bad, I'm stuck in the middle of it myself trying to figure it out.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
famous people won't do anything to tarnish their image so they are your best friend

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's celebrity worship and it can be found in any manner of life.

Heck, you can even see it here in GAF, with how chummy people can suddenly act with a red name.

GamerJM

Banned
Probably. Even barring the bigotry it opens them up to, I'm concerned with how it can put them into situations wherein they're easily emotionally manipulated. This is more of a concern with Twitch streamers than YouTubers, since you can donate money to Twitch streamers, though.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
isn't that whole "hook" of the phenomenon, though. it's interactive and personable. even the most cynical and astute viewer is onboard for that experience.

i don't think it's any more dangerous than imaginary friends or daydreaming about One Direction taking you to the prom, or whatever. unless the kid is seriously maladjusted s/he grows out of it
The trouble starts if someone doesn't recognize it's a one sided relationship. Then when the personality has no idea who they are really the person who thought they had a pal can get incredibly bitter.

Khrno

Since I don't have friends, I don't watch streamers.

Maybe if I watched streamers then that would solve my issue of not having friends? Nah, I'll stay without friends.

Its like when a model or well known actress posts something to instagram and guys post "oh so beautiful" in the vein hope that she will acknowlege that one comment and realize the man of her dreams is some guy who followers her on insta who lives in oregon after all.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
in every sense of the word yeah. especially when they are spouting dangerous rhetoric that their audience just eats up because they believe it themselves

Jibbajaba

Neo Member
I have a fairly popular YouTube channel, and I can say from the creator side that having fans view you as their friend can definitely be a problem. People like that will become more and more intrusive, and then when you try to shut it down or push them away, they will have a bad reaction because they thought you were their "good friend". I think it's a problem inherent with creating "personal" content. When you talk to the camera like it's your buddy, what you're really doing is talking to the viewer like they're your buddy, and people who are too emotionally immature to understand the distinction (and who are lonely) can fall into the trap of thinking that they have a personal relationship with you.

PSqueak

Banned
Yes.

I absolutely despise the cult of worship of youtubers, and to me the worst part was back when in a discord channel some kid, literally a kid, was linking me, a mexican, some bullshit propaganda about how latinos are killing the USA that he didn't fact check just because he had to defend Jon Tron.

But it's not just that, spend enough time on tumblr and you'll get sick of any mildly popular youtuber.

The "funny" part is that the story always ends the same, people turn on them, im not saying all youtubers are racists (tho it's sometimes hard to not believe they are) but everybody always ends up upsetting their fanbase.

So personally im sick of hearing of these Mcelroy or whatever brothers, but it will be "funny" when they inevitably upset their fandom and they all turn on them.

Happened to PDP, Happened to JT, happened to Markiplier, it will happen to them.

Jombie

Kids just have attachments to things they see and enjoy. They think Dora is their friend, Spider-Man, Batman, all of these characters from entertainment. Ever see a kid freak out when 'Santa' comes to visit? It's just how kids are. The danger isn't the attachment, it's who the attachment is to.

Well, I don't think having personal investment in Batman and Santa creates social disconnect between kids. The shallow comradery they find in streaming / YT communities can suffice and stand in for actual relationships, and to that degree it's unhealthy. Lack of social skills as a child can haunt you for your entire adult life.

joe_zazen

I have a fairly popular YouTube channel, and I can say from the creator side that having fans view you as their friend can definitely be a problem. People like that will become more and more intrusive, and then when you try to shut it down or push them away, they will have a bad reaction because they thought you were their "good friend". I think it's a problem inherent with creating "personal" content. When you talk to the camera like it's your buddy, what you're really doing is talking to the viewer like they're your buddy, and people who are too emotionally immature to understand the distinction (and who are lonely) can fall into the trap of thinking that they have a personal relationship with you.

Thats putting it mildly..

i don't know how dangerous it is, but it sure as fuck isn't healthy. it's the platonic version of falling in love with a cam girl. this shit is not real, you are their fan/income. but hey, loneliness is bitch.

BstnRich

Kinda Funny is the channel I've seen it most on. Their whole best friend sthick was really sickening to me. When I used to watch their content it felt like their very best friends were the ones who paid the most money. It's been a year or so since I've listened to them so I dunno if it's changed but that's what drove me away from them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I only know of people using e-celebs as vindication for opinions or being yes-men, but friends? Thats new to me. Is it similar for the kids today like how back then we see Big Bird or Kermit as a "friend" too, or is it a whole new level?

Top Bottom